Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, and while I have a suspicion about what some of those facts might be, I will not/cannot post them here.

I also feel that it's gonna knock a lot of socks off a lot of people.

Well, the facts can't shock us if we never actually know about them... which will only fuel the non-stop rumors which will continue to churn.

jmo

I disagree. I've followed plenty of cases where the full story was disclosed and understood. JMO.
This guy has been described as cooperative, which means he is talking. Those cell phones will talk as well, and will likely support or refute the account this guy is providing. This case is also being investigated by an independent agency, which means they have no skin in the game. I see no reason why we won't know just about everything here.

KY judge shooting 'looks very much like first-degree murder': Attorney | Banfield​

Sep 20, 2024 #Banfield #Sheriff #Kentucky
Matt Murphy, defense attorney and former homicide prosecutor, tells "Banfield" that anything is possible when it comes to prosecuting Sheriff Shawn M. Stines for the shooting death of District Judge Kevin Mullins, but that the facts of the case have the potential to put the sheriff away for life — and possibly get him the death penalty.

KY judge shooting 'looks very much like first-degree murder': Attorney | Banfield​

Sep 20, 2024 #Banfield #Sheriff #Kentucky
Matt Murphy, defense attorney and former homicide prosecutor, tells "Banfield" that anything is possible when it comes to prosecuting Sheriff Shawn M. Stines for the shooting death of District Judge Kevin Mullins, but that the facts of the case have the potential to put the sheriff away for life — and possibly get him the death penalty.
1st is not rage in an argument. He was aware of what he was going to do and proceeded.

This guy has been described as cooperative, which means he is talking. Those cell phones will talk as well, and will likely support or refute the account this guy is providing. This case is also being investigated by an independent agency, which means they have no skin in the game. I see no reason why we won't know just about everything here.

As long as there are reputable individuals listening when Stines and the phones do their "talking", and the investigators are trustworthy... it's not impossible. But, I don't think it will be the sunlight-infused cakewalk I'd like. (Of course, most investigations aren't the cakewalks of my dreams, lol).

jmo

9/21/24

Letcher County official reveals details about sheriff-judge shooting | Banfield​

New info to me from interview with Mike Watts, Circuit Court Clerk:

Watts alleged that Mullins voluntarily handed Sheriff Stines his phone and with Mullins phone in one hand and his own phone in the other hand, Stines was comparing something being displayed before setting the phones down, getting up and walking around the desk to Mullins-- shooting him 8 times. (To be clear, Stines was holding two phones).

Also, following the shooting, Stines did not approach fallen Mullins or attempt to render aid but instead picked up Mullins phone again, looked at it, and set it back down on the desk before exiting Mullins Chambers and leaving the Court via the side exit. Stines then re-entered the Courthouse through the front entrance and surrendered, placing his weapon on a table in the Courtroom.

Per Watts, employees and witnesses had evacuated the building at the sound of gunfire, and Stines re-entered the Courthouse along with first responders arriving at the scene.

When asked if Stines was in uniform and/or on duty on Thursday, Watts confirmed he was not in uniform but that the Sheriff is on duty 24/7.

Watts offered that both men served the community admirably, and worked in concert to combat the drug epidemic in the community. He cited that Stines shared Mullins view that jailing addicts was not the answer, and Stines would often drive the offenders to their Court Ordered drug treatment.

IMO, Watts was painfully grieved while talking to Banfield (who constantly interrupted her guest, as she does). I think Watts is still in shock. MOO :(

ETA: Watts was not an eye witness and did not view the video -- he reported what he understood from others who viewed the video.

Last edited:
New info to me from interview with Mike Watts, Circuit Court Clerk:

Watts alleged that Sheriff Stines received Mullins phone from him and with Mullins phone in one hand and his phone in the other, Stines compared something being displayed before setting the phones down, getting up and walking around the desk to Mullins-- shooting him 8 times.

Also, following the shooting, Stines did not approach fallen Mullins or attempt to render aid but instead picked up Mullins phone again, looked at it, and set it back down on the desk before exiting Mullins Chambers and leaving the Court via the side exit. Stines then re-entered the Courthouse through the front entrance and surrendered, placing his weapon on a table in the Courtroom.

Per Watts, employees and witnesses had evacuated the building at the sound of gunfire, and Stines re-entered the Courthouse along with first responders arriving at the scene.

When asked if Stines was in uniform and/or on duty on Thursday, Watts confirmed he was not in uniform but that the Sheriff is on duty 24/7.

Watts offered that both men served the community admirably, and worked in concert to combat the drug epidemic in the community. He cited that Stiles shared Mullins view that jailing addicts was not the answer, and Stines would often drive the offenders to their Court Ordered drug treatment.

IMO, Watts was painfully grieved while talking to Banfield (who constantly interrupted her guest, as she does). I think Watts is still in shock. MOO :(
OK, that's very different from the reporting that they each swapped phones, which didn't make a lot of sense. I think it's possible that Stines had a screenshot of something saved on his phone, and wanted the judge’s phone to see if it was real.

*swapped judge and sheriff initially

Last edited:
OK, that's very different from the reporting that they each swapped phones, which didn't make a lot of sense. I think it's possible that Mullins had a screenshot of something saved on his phone, and wanted the sheriff's phone to see if it was real.
Except Mullins didn't have both phones -- it was Stines that was comparing his phone with Mullins phone after Mullins voluntarily gave it to him. (Stines was holding two phones).

Last edited:
Except Mullins didn't have both phones -- it was Stines that was comparing his phone with Mullins phone after Mullins voluntarily gave it to him. (Stines was holding two phones).

Whoops. Totally switched roles when I wrote that, even after envisioning the scenario correctly (sheriff holding both phones and perhaps verifying something).

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed as part of thread cleanup>
I'm surprised there hasn't been more (or maybe even ANY) sleuthing (by WSers or others?) into the personal details of the sheriff. He is the suspect, the person of interest, the perp, the accused, the charged one in this case. I thought that was the criteria needing to be met to give sleuths the greenlight to find out all they can about a person in any case. Maybe I've missed it, but I've read this entire thread, and I haven't seen anything yet. Mainly I thought I would've seen simple things like if he's married, divorced, how many children, if any, ages of children... This info alone could rule out (or leave open the possibility of) certain theories made in other places that haven't been backed up by any reliable sources. Seems like it would be easy enough (and within WS terms) to find this out. He's a public official whose info is often found online in many ways for many reasons, probably publicly-available details out there on him, plus he had his own FB profile that I believe he posted on that could reveal enlightening things.

<modsnip>

... at WS, people do care about the truth. But we also love to sleuth! One leads to the other, ime.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a very good point here. I agree with you that they will try to seat a jury and have the trial in Letcher County.

I do know that Kentucky requires a criminal case to be tried in the county where the crime occurred.

And since the murder occurred in Letcher County, they will try to have the trial in Letcher County.

But if a jury cannot be seated for a trial in Letcher County, then there would be a change of venue motion to have the trial in another county.

And due to the circumstances of this pending criminal trial, a special prosecutor and a special judge from a different county will have to be appointed.
I am pretty sure they already said Pike county will get this case.

Why did Stines exit the side door then reenter from the front? I wonder if he placed his phone (the phone he had in his hand) in his car, and then reenter to surrender?

It's common in facility planning for a Judge to have a private building entry/exit door outside of or near their private Chambers. This is typically not visible from the courtroom. Design

I have no idea if Stines stopped at his car or office, or if he walked directly back inside via the front entrance to the Courthouse. The street address is 156 Main St., Whitesburg, KY 41858. (See the Street View & 360 google view link below).

The Lecher County District Court (Mullins) location is Suite 101-C, and the Circuit Court (Craft) is Suite 205.

I'm assuming from the Suite #, the District Court (Mullins) is located on the first floor and there's at least two private entrances (Authorized Personnel Only) on Short St. side of the Courthouse, and another private entrance to the Courthouse on the Webb St. side.

Webb St intersects with Broad Way where the Sheriff's Office is located directly behind the Courthouse (6 Broad Way). The Sallyport to the County Jail also appears to be on the Webb Street side of the Courthouse.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed as part of thread cleanup>
I'm surprised there hasn't been more (or maybe even ANY) sleuthing (by WSers or others?) into the personal details of the sheriff. He is the suspect, the person of interest, the perp, the accused, the charged one in this case. I thought that was the criteria needing to be met to give sleuths the greenlight to find out all they can about a person in any case. Maybe I've missed it, but I've read this entire thread, and I haven't seen anything yet. Mainly I thought I would've seen simple things like if he's married, divorced, how many children, if any, ages of children... This info alone could rule out (or leave open the possibility of) certain theories made in other places that haven't been backed up by any reliable sources. Seems like it would be easy enough (and within WS terms) to find this out. He's a public official whose info is often found online in many ways for many reasons, probably publicly-available details out there on him, plus he had his own FB profile that I believe he posted on that could reveal enlightening things.

<modsnip>

... at WS, people do care about the truth. But we also love to sleuth! One leads to the other, ime.

<modsnip: Quoted post was modsnipped>

There are numerous MSN links on this thread citing Stines as a family man, and dedicated public servant. The civil lawsuit filed against him in 2022 is public information but Stines wasn't named Individually in the Civil Complaint.

Both victim and suspect are described by colleagues as well liked... In a County this small, I'm sure any dirt would have been out immediately by DM -- along with the photos. JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Although Sheriff Stines was named in a Civil Lawsuit on Jan 31, 2022 regarding claims of SA by his deputy (Fields), Stines went on to be re-elected as Sheriff on Nov 8, 2022 -- receiving 75% of the votes cast. See page 5/10 of election tally results.

ETA: Add 2018 Election results

One of the most closely contested races was the Democratic race between two deputy sheriffs, both vying to be the new sheriff after the retirement of Sheriff Danny Webb at the end of this term. The leader in the race changed several times as new precincts totals were added, but in the end, Mickey Stines, a long-time district court bailiff, took 2,310 votes to 2,140 for Carlos Eugene Slone, the department’s victim advocate and neighborhood watch liaison. Former Whitesburg Police Chief Roland Craft finished with 239 votes. Stines will have two opponents in the fall. D.L. Hammonds is running on the Republican ticket, and Capt. Barry Engle, currently the chief deputy sheriff and a retired state trooper, is running as an independent.

5/23/18-- Primary results ensure new clerk, 4 new magistrates - The Mountain Eagle

11/7/18 -- Voters select new county judge, five new magistrates - The Mountain Eagle

In the sheriff ’s race, Circuit Court bailiff Mickey Stines, a Democrat, defeated Chief Deputy Barry Engle by a vote of 4,484 to 2,952. Engle was running as an Independent. Republican D.L. Hammonds pulled 764 votes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member