Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
the Civil lawsuit reference to Judge Mullins was that Mullins did not recuse himself from the criminal cases his clients were involved in
Was he the judge for the criminal case involving the deputy?

I’m afraid I have very little faith in the people of the area to be able to judge a man they voted for. Lots of murderers have tons of character witnesses going “but he was such a great guy!”
I have personal experience with small-town politics and politicians. Corrupt officials can be very popular - that's how they get re-elected time and time again! They probably even get good stuff done for the community, but that doesn't mean they are "great guys" or worthy of trust.

My hunch is this town is deep in corruption and money/power/drugs/sex will be the classic combo behind it.

If I had any say in this situation, I'd want a very close look at the county finances. And the personal finances of these two.

jmo

Was he the judge for the criminal case involving the deputy?
Nope. Mullins was the District Court Judge for low level crimes. Felonies get bumped up to the Circuit Court.

11/22/23

The case was prosecuted by Barbara Whaley of the Kentucky Attorney General’s Office and was heard by Pike Circuit Judge Eddy Coleman. Court documents show hearings related to the case were held in at least three counties other than Letcher.

Judge Mullins did not give a depo on Sept 16, the depo was by Sheriff Stines, a defendant in the Civil Lawsuit. Mullins is not named in the subject lawsuit. (See Dkt entry #115 below).

The Plaintiffs lawyer (Ned?) for the Civil lawsuit reference to Judge Mullins was that Mullins did not recuse himself from the criminal cases his clients were involved in, and this lawyer thought he should have because his client had been assaulted twice by Fields -- once in Mullins Chambers and once in the bathroom of his Chambers.

The two women 44 & 47 suing the the former deputy (Fields), since convicted of SA, Sheriff Stines, and Eastern Kentucky Corrections Services, Inc., in Federal Court, for violation of their civil rights, have long rap sheets and were in County jail when they got involved with Fields-- leading to the SA. MOO

View attachment 533310

Appending my post to add that the County Jail is located in the basement level of the Letcher County Courthouse, and at the time of the assaults inside of Judge Mullins Chambers, Fields was also Mullins bailiff. In other words, Fields had easy access to both the jail and Mullins Chambers.

SFFBM: I find it interesting that he was not in uniform when the shooting occurred. Now I wonder if he was in uniform during lunch. And if he was, then did he come back not dressed in uniform so he could “confront his friend” in a way so that the Judge wouldn’t feel threatened of being put under arrest. Idk, IMO I’m waiting to see if a bombshell is going to drop in this case or not along with the others.

Thank you @Allabouttrial for transcribing this for those of us who wants to know what it said but doesn’t want to take or doesn’t have the time to listen!

Father was a cop 32 years, toward the end he was a court liaison officer and he wore a suit not uniform and carried his pistol.

Jmo

SFFBM: I find it interesting that he was not in uniform when the shooting occurred. Now I wonder if he was in uniform during lunch. And if he was, then did he come back not dressed in uniform so he could “confront his friend” in a way so that the Judge wouldn’t feel threatened of being put under arrest. Idk, IMO I’m waiting to see if a bombshell is going to drop in this case or not along with the others.

Thank you @Allabouttrial for transcribing this for those of us who wants to know what it said but doesn’t want to take or doesn’t have the time to listen!
Sheriffs are always "on duty" - it's not shift work, and they can be called upon at any moment. I honestly wouldn't put much measure into what he was wearing, expect, perhaps, he didn't want to sully the uniform.

FWIW, like you, I'm also waiting for a bombshell to drop but also expecting any bombshells to be carefully packed away and hidden right now. Could go either way.

jmo

Nope. Mullins was the District Court Judge for low level crimes. Felonies get bumped up to the Circuit Court.

11/22/23

The case was prosecuted by Barbara Whaley of the Kentucky Attorney General’s Office and was heard by Pike Circuit Judge Eddy Coleman. Court documents show hearings related to the case were held in at least three counties other than Letcher.
So then what's there to recuse? His chambers were being used for the crime. He was allegedly not involved in any way. The deputy had access to the space after hours and used it.

So then what's there to recuse? His chambers were being used for the crime. He was allegedly not involved in any way. The deputy had access to the space after hours and used it.

Exactly!

Then again, my read of this plaintiff's lawyer is typical of a dude desperate to shake every tree in sight looking for bank (i.e., relief for civil rights violations). In July, he tried to subpoena the AG's Office of the Special Prosecution for unredacted discovery produced by the Commonwealth for the criminal case. This Motion was immediately quashed by Order of the Court. (Docket entry #113).

1727265192965.png

1727264790119.png

SHERIFF STINES HAD NOT ‘BEEN HIMSELF’ IN THE DAYS LEADING UP TO HIS MURDER OF LETCHER DISTRICT JUDGE KEVIN MULLINS

As hateful and unfounded rumors continue making their way through social media sites and elsewhere, a disturbing picture of what really transpired in the Letcher County Courthouse last week has begun to emerge.

Friends and coworkers say Letcher County Sheriff Mickey Stines had been acting erratically since around Labor Day. He was quieter than usual and had stopped regular communications with the community and the press. In mid-August he deleted his office’s Facebook page, and told The Mountain Eagle that people had been criticizing him and he was afraid someone might use the page in a court case. Less than 48 hours before Sheriff Stines shot and killed Letcher District Judge Kevin Mullins on September 19, Stines told a Mountain Eagle reporter that he had lost 40 pounds in two weeks. Friends of the sheriff say he didn’t “seem himself” in the days leading up to the shooting.

This story and more about the tragic events of last week appear in September 25 edition of The Mountain Eagle, which is being distributed now.

SHERIFF STINES HAD NOT ‘BEEN HIMSELF’ IN THE DAYS LEADING UP TO HIS MURDER OF LETCHER DISTRICT JUDGE KEVIN MULLINS

As hateful and unfounded rumors continue making their way through social media sites and elsewhere, a disturbing picture of what really transpired in the Letcher County Courthouse last week has begun to emerge.

Friends and coworkers say Letcher County Sheriff Mickey Stines had been acting erratically since around Labor Day. He was quieter than usual and had stopped regular communications with the community and the press. In mid-August he deleted his office’s Facebook page, and told The Mountain Eagle that people had been criticizing him and he was afraid someone might use the page in a court case. Less than 48 hours before Sheriff Stines shot and killed Letcher District Judge Kevin Mullins on September 19, Stines told a Mountain Eagle reporter that he had lost 40 pounds in two weeks. Friends of the sheriff say he didn’t “seem himself” in the days leading up to the shooting.

This story and more about the tragic events of last week appear in September 25 edition of The Mountain Eagle, which is being distributed now.

Weight loss and erratic behavior makes me suspect drug abuse. My opinion only.

- Quieter than usual
- Withdrawn from community & press
- Sudden weight loss
- Didn't seem himself recently

All of those sound like a severe stress reaction. I do wonder if/when we're ever going to hear his motive?

Interesting.

18 kilograms in 2 weeks?? :oops:
Wow!
Is it even possible? :rolleyes:

He doesn't look exactly slim in a mugshot.

JMO

- Quieter than usual
- Withdrawn from community & press
- Sudden weight loss
- Didn't seem himself recently

All of those sound like a severe stress reaction. I do wonder if/when we're ever going to hear his motive?
Yeah, that pastor made it sound like this was mental illness, like it was some acute thing.

This all presents as stress to me, and it’s weird that the timing seems to coincide with his deposition in that civil case. This, despite that really not appearing to be any concern as far as his involvement was concerned.

So this really comes down to the underlying cause of that stress. The judge can’t tell us what this was about, but his phone and Stines can.

It doesn’t appear that Stines forced the judge to give him his phone at gunpoint or anything, so I continue to believe there was some sort of rational reason for this murder, and not some completely unhinged thinking going on.

I can’t believe we haven’t had any leaks or official information yet, as you’d think he’d have a lawyer who would be trying to get ahead of this.

Yeah, that pastor made it sound like this was mental illness, like it was some acute thing.

This all presents as stress to me, and it’s weird that the timing seems to coincide with his deposition in that civil case. This, despite that really not appearing to be any concern as far as his involvement was concerned.

So this really comes down to the underlying cause of that stress. The judge can’t tell us what this was about, but his phone and Stines can.

It doesn’t appear that Stines forced the judge to give him his phone at gunpoint or anything, so I continue to believe there was some sort of rational reason for this murder, and not some completely unhinged thinking going on.

I can’t believe we haven’t had any leaks or official information yet, as you’d think he’d have a lawyer who would be trying to get ahead of this.
If I had to guess, his depo on that case has no connection, despite the timing.
Even if Stines clams up (which I don't think he will), those phones will do a lot of ugly talking.
Folks may want to walk back some of that high praise they've been doling out.

jmo

That does seem like a lot of weight to lose in 2 weeks. I don't see how it's possible, even if it is a medical condition or drug related. He could have been exaggerating?
It is possible, but he could have been exaggerating.

He’s a large man, and those 20 pounds would include a lot of water weight.

I have personal experience with small-town politics and politicians. Corrupt officials can be very popular - that's how they get re-elected time and time again! They probably even get good stuff done for the community, but that doesn't mean they are "great guys" or worthy of trust.

My hunch is this town is deep in corruption and money/power/drugs/sex will be the classic combo behind it.

If I had any say in this situation, I'd want a very close look at the county finances. And the personal finances of these two.

jmo
<modsnip: Removed; alluding to rumors is not allowed>

Nobody walks in and fires 8 shots into someone without it being very deeply personal.

I hope we learn what the motive was from the Sheriff at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had to guess, his depo on that case has no connection, despite the timing.
Even if Stines clams up (which I don't think he will), those phones will do a lot of ugly talking.
Folks may want to walk back some of that high praise they've been doling out.

jmo
I expect the town will be divided into:
* people who were in on whatever happened but now pretend they were not
* people who were duped and are angry about it
* people who were duped and still believe in "the great guys" and these folks will be angry at anyone suggesting otherwise.

Or, it all will be swept under a rug with a big ol' heavy piece of furniture put on top that everyone agrees should never be moved to reveal what's under it.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members