Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“The two men went to lunch earlier in the day with multiple other people, Stamper said. The detective said a witness said at one point Mullins asked Stines if they needed to meet privately, though the context was unclear.”

I missed that during the hearing.

Between that (so the judge must have known there was an issue that MS wanted to discuss more) & the way the judge had his hand up (the video in chambers) right at the beginning of the video, I really think the judge didn't think there was anything much/anything to worry about. Unfortunately. Imo.

After the hearing, Bartley said more information will come as the investigation continues. He declined to speculate on a motive for the shooting outside of what was discussed in court.

"I left the hearing today with a lot of questions still unanswered myself," he said, stressing that Tuesday's discussion was just a preliminary hearing as the case advances. "We hoped that there may be more light that would be shed on the preceding events."

I think there are so many reasons that the daughter & judge could have had each other's phone numbers. Way more innocent reasons than nefarious ones. (Emergency contact, babysitting, school/team sponsorships, families were supposedly friends so even just that, etc.)

I think MS decided something was fishy & let himself stew for awhile until he created something in his mind. It festered & he decided an execution was in order.

I was also kind of astonished to hear that LE had not yet questioned the daughter without a parent (her mom) present.

Imo.
The girl doesn't have to consent to being questioned at all.

Was anyone standing in the hallway directly outside the judge's chambers when the shooting happened? If so, did they hear the shots? What did MS say or do as he walked out (other than turning around to shoot Judge Mullins again after he opened the door)? From the video, it looked like MS was putting his gun back (in a holster?) after the final shot. Imo.

The shooting is pretty fast. I'm sure others heard it but it still takes people a second or two to react. If people heard the shots & were thinking "active shooter", were they hunkering down in adjacent rooms, running through the halls to get outside or what?

so now two versions of this statement being reported. first was "he took my wife and kid". now "they are trying to kidnap my wife and kid" who stated this, was it in the hearing? Wondering if I fast forwarded past it. TIA

about 46:00 is the statement "They were trying to kidnap my wife and kid"
Sorry I was watching the live video and the previous timestamp was as I was watching it.

If there had been an illegal, indecent relationship, that can no longer be charged since the hypothetical perp is now dead. The daughter committed no crime herself in that relationship if it occurred, but her phone may have important evidence about another (or other) crime(s).

It should be easy to get a warrant to look at her phone and for all we know that is processing now.

Watching the shooting footage again. (WARNING: It's graphic.) Starts at approx. the 20:00 mark in the video.

It's approximately 20 seconds of shooting, including shooting from both sides of the desk as well as after he opened the door.

Imo.

The fact that the judge had Stines' minor child's phone number in his phone immediately sent up a red flag to me.
Babysitting? The judge's daughters appear to be either the same age or older than Stines' kid.
Family friends? None of my husband's friends or colleagues ever had any of my minor daughters phone numbers in their phone.

If there is a legit reason for the judge to have that girl's personal phone number in his phone, I'm not seeing it.

jmo

Last edited:
If there had been an illegal, indecent relationship, that can no longer be charged since the hypothetical perp is now dead. The daughter committed no crime herself in that relationship if it occurred, but her phone may have important evidence about another (or other) crime(s).

It should be easy to get a warrant to look at her phone and for all we know that is processing now.
IF Stines wife was aware ,they could charge her CORRECT?

agree, she has every right to have a parent present if she is a minor. Each and every time. She is not a suspect, they have their suspect, with video evidence. They cannot compel the daughter to speak to them without her parent. MOO

Now if this case goes to trial and the if the prosecution seeks the death penalty, I found this interesting article written almost a decade ago.

The article stated that the death penalty in Kentucky is reserved for those who murders another person and no mitigating circumstances exist.

If a person is convicted of murder where the prosecution is seeking the death penalty, jurors can either recommend the death penalty, life imprisonment without parole, or life without parole until 25 years has been served.

Source:

Kentucky Capital Punishment Law

Now if someone in Kentucky is spared of the death penalty and gets a sentence of so many years to life, I have heard that when appearing years later before the Kentucky Parole Board, if the state parole board deems that person to still be a danger to society, it can require that person to serve out their entire prison sentence.

In other words, if the state parole boards thinks the person appearing before them is still dangerous, they can change that sentence to life imprisonment, and that person will never ever have another hearing again before the state parole board.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I don't think the fact that the judge (might have) had a gun factored into this execution. I think MS had his mind made up & his mission was to murder the judge. He did, then he left chambers, not attempting to help the judge or seeking help for the judge. Again, MOO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three cell phones in total are currently at a forensic lab being downloaded and will form part of the investigation.
Chilling footage shows moment judge was 'shot dead by sheriff'

so Stines
Mullins, and
unnamed female court employee
That MS texted with a female employee during lunch with the judge and others, I found odd. Which reason would it have been? Wondering .... Should she spy on something while the coast was clear?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martin andreasen
Back