Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What good would it do to seize the daughter's phone? They would not be able to get a search warrant on it because she is not suspected of a crime. She also told them what the content of her conversations with the judge were. That was stated in open court today.

It could have provided LE with even more information or corroborated statements. Do you know if LE even asked her for her phone?? It sure didn't sound like it from what I heard. She might have been agreeable with no need for a search warrant.

jmo

What good would it do to seize the daughter's phone? They would not be able to get a search warrant on it because she is not suspected of a crime. She also told them what the content of her conversations with the judge were. That was stated in open court today.
They would be able to get a warrant if they had reason to believe that phone contained evidence of a crime.

So a couple things could be going on here: They know for a fact that phone is unrelated, and contains no evidence (like it would if something was going on between the judge and daughter).

They are sloppy. Normally I wouldn’t seriously consider this, but that lead detective came across as a bit of a dolt.

So someone that works for the sheriff was texting him during the lunch he had with Mullins that afternoon. Then the judge is overheard making a statement to Stines about do they need to have a meeting in private. Then later that day Stines arrives at the courthouse to see Mullins, while Mullins is in a meeting with 4 people. We don't know who those people are, but this was urgent enough that when Stines asked to talk to him privately, they exit the room and then Stines and Mullins talk.. Stines is seated across from the judge.. makes a call on his own phone, then makes a call on the judges phone.. then stands up and starts shooting the judge.
Snipped for focus and BBM by me.

Beside Judge Mullins, FOUR additional people could fit in that teeny tiny "chambers"? Really? I guess I'd like to see that video too.

After watching the hearing- I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a less prepared lead investigator. Was that intentional?
I think so but only because he does not have certain information yet so why rush into to deep waters when the canoe is on its way.
ETA The Judges chambers really are starting to sound like a diddy party ..I keep thinking he will be the next face with diddy on tiktock

They would be able to get a warrant if they had reason to believe that phone contained evidence of a crime.

So a couple things could be going on here: They know for a fact that phone is unrelated, and contains no evidence (like it would if something was going on between the judge and daughter).

They are sloppy. Normally I wouldn’t seriously consider this, but that lead detective came across as a bit of a dolt.

The lead detective seemed wildly uninformed, imo. He also sounded really nervous to me. I wonder if he was trying to err on the side of caution so as not to compromise the case? (And yet, someone decided it was ok to broadcast the video of the shooting.) It all seemed weirdly casual, imo. (Like when the defense attorney interrupted the judge a couple of times; for one defense request, the judge laughed & basically said something to the effect of 'sure, you can give it a try', etc.)

All MOO.

Last edited:
For this type of hearing they only want what’s absolutely necessary- I think they told the investigator to not let defense get too much out of him, and instead he just came off looking really ignorant and obstinate.
Moo

I thought also that her communications with those other phones would show up on those that they have and as alluded to earlier, she isn’t a suspect in any of this. I agree that if they had a reason to think the phone was needed they could get a warrant.

For this type of hearing they only want what’s absolutely necessary- I think they told the investigator to not let defense get too much out of him, and instead he just came off looking really ignorant and obstinate.
Moo
I also think the defense was unclear with/on some things and his questions could have been more information geared then they were in my opinion. I think they really recently took this case. We have been on it longer . NAL

I thought also that her communications with those other phones would show up on those that they have and as alluded to earlier, she isn’t a suspect in any of this. I agree that if they had a reason to think the phone was needed they could get a warrant.
They of course would, but there always remains the possibility that things have been deleted off a particular device. So something may not exist on a suspects device, but be present on another.

So I tend to believe that there wasn’t some sort of inappropriate relationship going on between the judge and daughter.

Indications today are that it relates to her in some way, but we still don’t have an answer as to how that is.

I think so but only because he does not have certain information yet so why rush into to deep waters when the canoe is on its way.
ETA The Judges chambers really are starting to sound like a diddy party ..I keep thinking he will be the next face with diddy on tiktock
He actually stuttered a few times during questioning, he was so unprepared. It’s more about his level of professionalism, than water levels or watercraft, JMO.

I agree that the lead detective was less than stellar in his testimony but I also feel that the defense attorney's questions were not well thought out or phrased properly.

JMO.

So what's the next step? He was bound over for the grand jury so presumably they need to indict him then his case moves to the circuit court for prosecution. Are there more hearings to be expected?

Generally, an Indictment is returned in court (indictment return hearing), and rules on any motion to seal indictment are also heard. I'm not familiar with how/when the case will graduate to Circuit Coat since it seems like they treat the District Court like practice. I hope the Indictment Return is held in Circuit Court because it especially matters in cases involving government and/or elected officials that grand juror confidentiality does not end when an indictment is returned. I'm also not sure if KY does this in open Court. In some states, I've seen the GJ Foreman return the Indictment but the hearing is not allowed recorded or streamed. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mkmatti
Back