Kenya - Olympic marathon runner, Rebecca Cheptegei, dies after boyfriend 'set her on fire' leaving her with 75% burns in petrol attack

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And herein lies the difference. While an athlete in a wealthy country gives up a possible income to train, in poor countries they train with the hope of earning an income down the road. There is no other job that they can earn a good wage at.
Everyone is hanging their hat on that athlete to help their family literally survive.
It's not only athletes that are expected to help support their (extended) families, it's the same for African professionals. There is something called 'black tax', I read an interesting article on BBC News this week about it. The younger generation are getting tired of this practice.

I used the "sad" emoji because there is nothing good about any of this.

There was a meme on Facebook a while back that said, "If you saw your ex on fire, what would you throw at them?" and one of my IRL friends wrote "Gasoline." Oh, ha ha ha. It wouldn't be so funny if the genders were reversed.

On a happier note, here's a video with footage from the last place finisher in the women's marathon. She's from Bhutan, and people waited around for more than an hour after the next-to-last finisher. When word got out that someone was still out there, people showed up en masse to finish it with her, and I'm guessing that the volume in the stands when she crossed the finish line had to have approached that of a jet engine at takeoff.

p.s. You can't watch it here, but if you click on the link, you can see it on YouTube.

"An Olympic runner
who died after being doused in petrol and set on fire by her former partner
is due to be buried today

with full military honours.

'She dazzled us here in Paris.
We saw her.
Her beauty, her strength, her freedom'
the city's mayor Anne Hidalgo told reporters.
'
Paris will not forget her'."

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member