Knife attack, 3 killed at a festival in Solingen, Germany 23 August 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

A security source told the IS-affiliated media arm Amaq Agency that the suspect "was a soldier from the Islamic State, and he carried it out as revenge against Muslims in Palestine and everywhere."

The group did not provide any evidence supporting its claims.

Meanwhile, the teenager arrested is suspected of failing "to report an imminent crime" but no more at the moment, police and prosecutors said at a news conference on Saturday afternoon.
Also in the Dutch news.. :

"In a message on Telegram, IS wrote that one of the terrorist group's members carried out the attack "to avenge Muslims in Palestine and everywhere else." The group did not provide any evidence to support it. "

Islamitische Staat claimt dodelijke aanslag Solingen

He could very well sneaked into the Netherlands.
It is only 2 hrs by car and no borders in EU.

By the way,
Solingen is quite popular.
Wusthof is a German brand that has been producing the highest quality knives for over 200 years in Solingen -
the place where the best and most famous knives in the world are made.
This is no good...

A mass stabbing killer on the run..

Imho

Islamic State" claims attack for itself​

The "Islamic State" has declared that it is responsible for the knife attack in Solingen. This was announced by the IS propaganda body Amak in the online service Telegram. According to this, it is supposed to be an act of revenge for "Muslims in Palestine and everywhere".

The terrorist militia "Islamic State" (IS) has claimed the attack in Solingen, North Rhine-Westphalia. A "soldier" of IS carried out the attack "on a gathering of Christians in the city of Solingen in Germany" on Friday, the IS propaganda organ Amak announced in the online service Telegram - around 24 hours after the crime. The attack was carried out "as revenge for Muslims in Palestine and everywhere".

No evidence is given that IS is actually behind the attack. Also, proof of a contact between IS and the assassin is not provided.

IS confession letter also to the Düsseldorf police​

According to their own information, the Düsseldorf police also received a letter of confession from the IS about the knife attack in Solingen. Now it must be checked whether this letter is real, said a police spokesman. According to terrorism experts, it is the first letter of an IS self-indication for an attack in Germany since the attack on the Berlin Christmas market in 2016.

In the attack on Friday at the city festival in Solingen, a man had killed three people and injured eight. It is said to have been a "very targeted attack on the neck" of the victims, said police leader Thorsten Fleiß. The perpetrator was able to flee undetected. Massive police forces are in action. The police assume a single perpetrator.

Police operation in refugee shelter​

In the evening, the police combed through a refugee shelter in the city center. "We have received information, and because of this we are currently carrying out police measures," said a police spokesman. A special operations command is also in action. The area will be closed off by a hundred.
Presumably, IS refers with "Palestine" to the war in the Gaza Strip between Israel and Islamist Hamas. Neither IS nor the terrorist organization Al-Qaeda have alliances with Hamas.

According to observers, the threats of terrorism and radicalization in the Islamic world have increased due to the months-long war in Gaza. In addition to the USA, Germany is one of Israel's most important allies and also one of the most important arms suppliers.

Regardless of whether a terrorist organisation is claiming this crime, what happened to the male who perpetrated and how was he able to flee without detection? This makes no sense.

According to MSM reports, the musician is saying he was asked to continue playing during and after the stabbings so as to not cause a crowd panic but that is insane IMO. It is surely the human rights of any person to know they are in the vicinity of a murderer still carrying a deadly weapon. This whole story sucks IMO, where's the CCTV and images and where did the perpetrator go? He hasn't just evaporated. JMO.

He could very well have sneaked into the Netherlands.
It is only 2 hrs by car and no borders in EU.

By the way,
Solingen is quite popular.
Wusthof is a German brand that has been producing the highest quality knives for over 200 years in Solingen -
the place where the best and most famous knives in the world are made.

JMO
To attack with a knife in a city whose pride is making quality knives makes it all the more hurtful.

(I realize knife as a weapon is not unique to this tragedy.)

jmo

"The man suspected of the stabbing in Solingen has turned himself in, a spokesperson for the Interior Ministry of North Rhine-Westphalia told the news agency DPA.

According to the German daily Bild, the man, still covered in blood, approached the officers shortly after 11 p.m. (2100 GMT) and said: "I'm the one you're looking for..."

He had reportedly been hiding in a backyard since the crime.

German news magazine Spiegel reported that the suspect is a 26-year-old Syrian, who came to Germany in 2022 and applied for asylum in Bielefeld."

The asylum accommodation is located just 300 meters from the Fronhof, the site of the attack. And 150 meters from the place where investigators found the suspected murder weapon in the afternoon - the knife with which the attacker killed three people and seriously injured eight on Friday evening.

87fd4b4af1ba6b1402b44a3fb0d74b0e,aaf765d6

"A police man-tracking dog led investigators directly from the location where the knife was found to the asylum on Wupper- / Goerdelerstraße in Solingen ( North Rhine-Westphalia ).

The special unit then surrounded the building and finally stormed it at 8:18 p.m. A suspect was arrested. Whether the man is connected to the crime is currently being investigated."

SBM

Solingen: Nach Terror-Anschlag – SEK stürmt Asylheim! Mann festgenommen

"He gave no details, but Germany's Bild and Spiegel news websites reported that the suspect, in dirty blood-stained clothes, had given himself up."

and

"A state interior ministry spokesman confirmed that the man had turned himself in.

This was the third arrest on Saturday, following the stabbing attack that shocked Germany."

A police spokesperson said they could not provide any more details on the individual or the connection to the attack, although ISIS has claimed responsibility.

'The perpetrator of the attack on a gathering of Christians in the city of Solingen in Germany yesterday was a soldier of the Islamic State' group, said a statement from the jihadists' Amaq news agency on the Telegram messaging app.

Last edited:
"According to the German newspaper Der Spiegel ,it would concern the 26-year-old Syrian Issa al H. He is said to have arrived in Germany at the end of December 2022 and to have filed an asylum application there. The man is said not to have been known as an extremist."

'Syrische asielzoeker geeft zichzelf aan voor aanslag in Solingen’

Newspaper Welt writes more about the suspect:

" As WELT learned, the authorities had already set a deportation date - Al H., who lives in Paderborn at the beginning of 2023, was to be deported to Bulgaria. He had previously entered the European Union there. According to the Dublin rules, the state that an asylum seeker first enters is responsible for the asylum procedure."

Untergetaucht: Solingen-Attentäter sollte abgeschoben werden - WELT

It is stated that he was born on January 20, 1998 in Deir ez-Zor, Syria.

Last edited:
"According to the German newspaper Der Spiegel ,it would concern the 26-year-old Syrian Issa al H. He is said to have arrived in Germany at the end of December 2022 and to have filed an asylum application there. The man is said not to have been known as an extremist."

'Syrische asielzoeker geeft zichzelf aan voor aanslag in Solingen’

Newspaper Welt writes more about the suspect:

" As WELT learned, the authorities had already set a deportation date - Al H., who lives in Paderborn at the beginning of 2023, was to be deported to Bulgaria. He had previously entered the European Union there. According to the Dublin rules, the state that an asylum seeker first enters is responsible for the asylum procedure."

Untergetaucht: Solingen-Attentäter sollte abgeschoben werden - WELT

It is stated that he was born on January 20, 1998 in Deir ez-Zor, Syria.

IMO
The imminent deportation to Bułgaria might have been a trigger.
Asylum seekers entering EU head to Germany.
It is like a magnet to them.

Other countries are just transit ones to Deutschland.

JMO

Last edited:
Does 'southern' mean someone with browner skin in German culture? Does anyone know? Is that what is implied that they are muslim (or at least spoke of allah) and maybe not white?
Sorry, somebody may have responded already. I presume 'southern' was translated from 'südländisch', tho I haven't found the exact report in German. "südländisch" as adjective or "Südländer" as noun refers to somebody who looks as if they may be from southern Europe, especially Mediterranean countries, such as Italy, Greece, Spain, Malta, Portugal etc. It's not so much about browner skin or muslim, but it is a rather vague description. MOO

I meant that, I think this won't be an isolated event, just like school shootings. People attending Oktoberfest activities, should be aware of their surroundings, exits, and how to stay safe if a knife attack occurs in their area.
Sorry I misunderstood.
Some festivals this weekend and upcoming weekends more local to Solingen have been cancelled. None of them were big names that I remember. I'll just add MOO because I can't remember where I read that, some local media probably.

It's hard to know if it'll be an isolated event or not. It's not the first in Germany, there was an attack on the Christmas Market in Berlin in Dec. 2016, but I don't remember a rash of other attacks across Christmas Markets that year or the following year in Germany. Security has tightened up a little bit and more physical barriers have been installed, especially concrete bollards Anschlag auf den Berliner Weihnachtsmarkt an der Gedächtniskirche – Wikipedia see 4.3 Sicherheitsmaßnahmen nach dem Anschlag

Personally I don't get too worried about dying in this kind of event, I'm much more likely to be killed as a cyclist, being overtaken too closely by some careless driver or even being struck by lightning. I can't speak for everybody in Germany obviously, but I don't pick up on any sense of panic, not in the circles I move in. More like trying to stay safe in everyday dangerous situations. MOO

RIP to those killed. Condolences to their families and to the city of Solingen. Prayers for those injured.

Last edited:
'The perpetrator of the attack on a gathering of Christians in the city of Solingen in Germany yesterday was a soldier of the Islamic State' group, said a statement from the jihadists' Amaq news agency on the Telegram messaging app.
RSBM
I'm trying to see where in the German press I can find reference to this "gathering of Christians". I can't find it. It seems it comes from the jihadists' Amaq news agency. So I'd be a little careful of using this description. It might be jihadist-speak for 'European-looking whites'. Jihadists may assume everybody in Europe is Christian, whereas lots and lots of people in Germany have officially left the main Christian churches.

The German politicians speaking out are not referring to it as an attack on Christians, but as an attack on "our" (German / North Rhine Westphalian) freedom and an attack on all those who were enjoying celebrating together.

MOO

P.S. The German newspaper Bild is allowed on Websleuths but it's up there with the Daily Mail /Daily Fail in reliability and quality of reporting except possibly even worse. So if that's where you read it, take with a large pinch of salt.
JMO, tho not just mine in Germany ;-)

Aug 25, 2024
German police said early Sunday that a 26-year-old man turned himself in, claiming to be behind the deadly Solingen knife attack that left three dead and eight wounded at a festival marking the city’s 650th anniversary.

'Aug 23, 2024
Three people were killed and four were seriously wounded in an attack on Friday at a festival in the western German city of Solingen, police said. Police said that the perpetrator was on the run, and that they so far had only very thin information on the assailant.'

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
there always an answer
Back