KS KS - Alonzo Brooks, 23, found dead after party, La Cygne, 3 Apr 2004

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

azure

Reaction score
I am a somewhat recent transplant to Kansas City, MO, and I stumbled upon the Cold Case Kansas site recently. The first story I read was, for some reason, the entry about Alonzo Brooks. Alonzo disappeared from a party in rural La Cygne, Kansas. His body was found a month later in a spot searched heavily by police. The coroner seems to be very tight lipped about his COD. Local residents suspect that the police are protecting a suspect or suspects. I normally would take this with a grain of salt, but there are several credible-sounding commenters who claim they were at the party posting everything from names to where his body was stored for a month. It's shocking if there's even a hint of truth to what they're saying.

Go go here and read for yourselves: http://coldcasekansas.blogspot.com/2010/09/mysterious-death-of-alonzo-brooks.html?m=1

Then come back and let me know what we can do to get this case reopened. A young man should not die for the color of his skin in this day and age.

FBI offers $100,000 reward in potentially racially-motivated Kansas cold case
June 11 2020
''KANSAS CITY, KAN. – The FBI is offering a $100,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of anyone responsible for the death of Alonzo Brooks. Brooks’ body was found in a creek in La Cygne, Kan., on May 1, 2004.

U.S. Attorney Stephen McAllister and FBI Special Agent in Charge Timothy Langan announced the reward during a press conference here today. McAllister and the FBI reopened the investigation over a year ago. They have reviewed evidence going back 16 years, re-interviewed many witnesses who attended a party at a farmhouse where Brooks was last seen alive, interviewed new witnesses and collected all available physical and forensic evidence.

“We are investigating whether Alonzo was murdered,” McAllister said. “His death certainly was suspicious, and someone, likely multiple people, know(s) what happened that night in April 2004. It is past time for the truth to come out. The code of silence must be broken. Alonzo’s family deserves to know the truth, and it is time for justice to be served.”

“There are many unanswered questions that surround Alonzo’s death,” Langan said. “Someone knows something and we are hopeful that with the passage of time and this significant reward this renewed effort will produce results and provide closure for the Brooks family.”

The FBI is investigating Brooks’ death as a potential racially-motivated crime. Brooks, who was 23 years old at the time he died, was one of only three African-American men at the party he attended with approximately 100 people at a farmhouse on the outskirts of La Cygne. Brooks, who lived in Gardner, Kan., rode to the party with friends, but they left before him, and Brooks eventually had no ride home.''

FBI, U.S. Attorney announce $100,000 reward in cold case of Alonzo Brooks
''U.S. Attorney Stephen McAllister and FBI Special Agent in Charge Timothy Langan made the announcement Thursday afternoon.

“We are investigating whether Alonzo was murdered,” McAllister said. “His death certainly was suspicious, and someone, likely multiple people, know(s) what happened that night in April 2004. It is past time for the truth to come out. The code of silence must be broken. Alonzo’s family deserves to know the truth, and it is time for justice to be served.”

McAllister said they recently found new leads in the cold case that caused them to reopen the investigation.''

''Brooks attended a party near Lacygne on the night of April 3, 2004. His mom, Maria Ramirez, told KSNT News in 2004 a friend drove him to the party, but he left after someone challenged him to a fight. Shortly after his disappearance, family members found Brooks’ boots and hat along a nearby creek.''

''Langan said the FBI is offering a reward of up to $100,000 to anyone who has information about Brooks’ disappearance. Anyone with information is encouraged to call the FBI at 816-512-8200 or 816-474-TIPS or submit a tip online at tips.fbi.gov.''

rbbm.
Small-town Kansas cold case in national spotlight
''LINN COUNTY, KS (KCTV) - What really happened to Alonzo Brooks 16 years ago? His family hopes the revival of "Unsolved Mysteries" on Netflix, plus a $100,000 reward, will answer that question.''

''Recent events are shining new light on the case. A local filmmaker started talking with the family a few years ago.

Then producers launching a new “Unsolved Mysteries” series on Netflix contacted the FBI and started asking some tough questions. That led to a renewed investigation''.

The "Unsolved Mystery" series begins on Netflix on July 1.

Watched the Unsolved Mysteries episode earlier today. Glad the reboot is bringing attention to cases like this. It is also starting to get mentions in other outlets, which is good b/c it spreads the word to those who might not watch the series.

Hope this brings answers to Alonzo Brooks' family. It's heartbreaking how much they've had to shoulder.

Even after watching I still don't understand how it was that Brooks was left behind at the party w/ no ride. but I'll add that to the chorus b/c I'm not the only one wondering.

Newsweek:
https://www.newsweek.com/unsolved-mysteries-who-alonzo-brooks-why-does-his-story-matter-1514829

Marie Claire:
Who Was Alonzo Brooks? | Alonzo Brooks Investigation Updates

July 10 2020
Netflix’s ‘Unsolved Mysteries’ brings tips in 2004 cold case death of Alonzo Brooks in Kansas
''LA CYGNE, Kansas — Netflix’s reboot of the wildly popular series “Unsolved Mysteries” has brought in numerous tips for the FBI, which last month offered a $100,000 reward in the baffling death of a Black man found in a Kansas creek in 2004.

USA Today reported that producers of the rebooted crime-solving series had netted at least 20 credible tips on various cases within the first 24 hours after the show’s July 1 premiere. Three of those tips were related to the death of Alonzo Brooks.''

''Brooks’ father and a family friend found his body lying tangled in brush and branches in the creek.

“My God, it was awful,” Billy Brooks Sr. told NBC’s Dateline. “To find my boy like that. Nothing can describe that pain.”

Wow, just wow. The comment section on that first post its just... yikes.
So after going through it last night and this morning I came across a couple of links that I'll leave below that are of relevance I'd say. They show screenshots that could be forwarded on for more questioning and such and also a very in-depth analysis into decomposition.

The comments portion of the blog is just so sketchy - on one hand you have grieving family asking for anyones help if they know any information which of course isn't the sketchy part.
On another hand you have the friends, towns folk & party-goers all saying well "I've heard this" or "He/She did this" or something on the same lines.
Then on the other hand you can clearly see there's people connected to the suspected families commenting on there trying to scare people from opening up from what I can gather. It's obviously worked because the case isn't solved yet. Of course, I could be wrong, its just opinion and speculation at this point but it sure seems like intimidation.

A lot of people on the post seem to know what happened or heard rumours but have never mentioned it to the authorities it seems like, but are open to mention the fact that they know something or have heard something on a blog that's open for the world to see... which makes me feel like the intimidation comes into play.

At some point someones going to step out of line, which I feel like in the links below there's been some of that pointed out already.
Nevertheless, I hope for the sake of his family & real friends, somebody comes forward with the right information and/or the investigation finds new evidence to investigate into it further and find out what really happened that night.
Thoughts are with the family.

Twitter Post:
https://twitter.com/heerbadisadhain/status/1279140878531956736

Subreddit:
alonzobrooks

Whilst doing a little digging about for one of the other episodes earlier this morning, I found this set of google drive case files that have been posted up by UM. It has several exclusive pieces of content as well as several pieces of evidence shown in the episode about the Alonzo Brooks Case.
‪Unsolved Mysteries | Case Files‬‏ - Google Drive

• Alonzo Brooks, disappeared on April 3, 2004, after a party in rural Kansas
  • His body was found on May 1, 2004 and cause of death was ruled inconclusive
  • Brooks' family have long believed that the 23-year-old black man was murdered
  • On July 1 Netflix aired an episode of Unsolved Mysteries focusing on his story
  • Since then the FBI have received numerous tips and on July 11 reopened his case
  • On Tuesday his body was exhumed from a cemetery in Topeka, Kansas

I just learned of this case from watching the Netflix Unsolved Mysteries episode I really hope with the FBI exhuming his body and re-opening the investigation that his family can finally get answers. I truly feel that this case should have been solved a long time ago with that many people at the party there has to be witnesses and more than one I would imagine.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18
Back