KS - Caleb Schwab, 10, dies on 17-story Schlitterbahn waterpark slide, Aug 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What else could the gov say at this point?

A memorial service for a 10 year-old child -- the son of a colleague -- killed on an amusement park ride is being held today.

Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback said Friday that he wants the state to review its regulation of amusement rides following a 10-year-old boy's death at the Schlitterbahn Waterpark in Kansas City, Kansas.

Brownback told reporters that he's hoping state legislators spend significant time examining the state's law on amusement parks.

http://www.hutchnews.com/news/local...cle_92d34aa9-ebbb-566d-8d22-ca86a9cbf595.html

Annnnnd, the way out...

As the family of Caleb Thomas Schwab who died in the accident at the Schlitterbahn water park in Kansas City celebrated his life on Friday, Governor Sam Brownback asked for patience from the public as authorities continue to piece together what happened.

“What we really need is a thorough investigation that helps us determine the cause,” Brownback spokeswoman Eileen Hawley said. “We need to understand what went wrong, what can be done to fix it.”

Hawley said that Brownback called for more inspections of similar rides.

“There probably should be more inspections done, more often, by the people who are best at it,” Hawley said. “The question is: Who are those people? Is it the state? Is it private business? We don’t know.”

http://www.wibwnewsnow.com/brownback-awaiting-investigations-conclusion-schlitterbahn-death/

Watching that video...seeing the shift and whatnot. You can almost tell where the incident may have occurred. I think that matches up with where the bent netting was afterward.

Looking through other photos in that hashtag on Instagram...I am now wondering if what we thought was blood on the second drop was actually just rust or something. It appears to be in older photos of the slide.

What else could the gov say at this point?

A memorial service for a 10 year-old child -- the son of a colleague -- killed on an amusement park ride is being held today.

http://www.hutchnews.com/news/local...cle_92d34aa9-ebbb-566d-8d22-ca86a9cbf595.html

Annnnnd, the way out...

http://www.wibwnewsnow.com/brownback-awaiting-investigations-conclusion-schlitterbahn-death/

Uh, hello? I think the one thing we can be sure of is that private businesses inspecting their own rides is not a good idea, since this happened under those circumstances. Fox guarding henhouse, for $800.

Sigh.

ETA: this is directed to the governor's staff person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37283FBA00000578-3736247-image-m-145_1471031313640.jpg

A photo of Caleb and his family. Caleb is standing behind his dad. (I hope its ok to post the photo from the article below. I'm sure this is how Caleb's family want him to be remembered as a happy smiling young man than for this terrible tragedy)

"The brother of the ten-year-old boy who was killed on the world's tallest water slide was supposed to go on the thrill ride with his sibling, but ended up watching him die instead.

Nate Schwab, 12, was planning on riding the Verrückt waterslide at the Schlitterbahn water park in Kansas City with his younger brother, ten-year-old Caleb, on Sunday, but they were told they didn't weigh enough to go together."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...not-meet-400-pound-minimum.html#ixzz4H9P8Onz5

Why wouldn't it?

If my son was decapitated riding a water slide; by the time I was done with them, I'd own the park and burn it to the ground, I'd sue them so hard they would cry for their mamas. I'd bankrupt them and take their houses, I'd go after the designers of the ride, the raft makers, and whoever came up with that metal netting. I'd sue the building inspectors and anyone else that was even close to this whole project.

I wouldn't stop until bronze statues of me were erected in town square for the absolute judicial and financial h*ll I would inflict on the people who created this freak show all for their own financial gain.

The high school history books would have to be re-written so that my name would appear next to Genghis Khan's as one of the most ruthless creators of pure mayhem the court system had ever seen. The BANKS would change their name to mine in my honor.

THAT is how much I completely loathe and disdain what has happened here. Here we have a bunch of wannabe designers that found a loop hole in their ability to create a waterpark by designing the thing through 'consultation' with the people that really should have been designing it.

ALL of the talk about , "Oh well you know it passed inspection in June, it was safe." OBVIOUSLY NOT because a little boy is dead.

There is absolutely NO excuse for what happened there to that little boy. Zero. The obligation of safety is squarely on the people who built and signed off on that thing, period.

Epic post! It deserves to be post of the day, if that's still done around here.

372A701500000578-3737025-image-m-20_1471034654963.jpg

A lovely memorial service was held today to celebrate Caleb's life

"Friends and family gathered on Friday to mourn the death of Caleb Schwab, a ten-year-old boy who was killed on Sunday on the Verruckt waterslide at Schlitterbahn Waterpark in Kansas City.

A public service started at 2pm at Life Mission Church in Olathe, Kansas, where his parents and three brothers are active members.

Mourners at the service were greeted by a montage of pictures and video of Caleb as they entered the auditorium, including cellphone video clips of the ten-year-old, laughing and chatting to the camera."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...world-s-tallest-waterslide.html#ixzz4H9o5YFRi

http://petergreenberg.com/2013/07/28/amusement-park-accidents/

Right now, the debate is centered around whether or not there should be regulation of amusement parks nationwide. Previously, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) regulated amusement parks. But in 1981, U.S. Congress decided fixed-site amusement park rides were not the same as household products, as they were purchased by individual facilities, not consumers.

This ruling stripped the CPSC of its ability to regulate amusement rides, particularly since it would require doubling the staff and budget of the agency. Instead, it was agreed that amusement parks would report their incidents to state and local governments and utilize government inspectors to ensure their park’s safety.

In 1999, U.S. Representative Edward Markey first introduced the National Amusement Park Ride Safety Act, which pushed for the CPSC to have jurisdiction over the fixed-ride amusement park industry. The act also mentioned establishing G-force limits on rides, but the bill did not pass.

Why wouldn't it?

If my son was decapitated riding a water slide; by the time I was done with them, I'd own the park and burn it to the ground, I'd sue them so hard they would cry for their mamas. I'd bankrupt them and take their houses, I'd go after the designers of the ride, the raft makers, and whoever came up with that metal netting. I'd sue the building inspectors and anyone else that was even close to this whole project.

I wouldn't stop until bronze statues of me were erected in town square for the absolute judicial and financial h*ll I would inflict on the people who created this freak show all for their own financial gain.

The high school history books would have to be re-written so that my name would appear next to Genghis Khan's as one of the most ruthless creators of pure mayhem the court system had ever seen. The BANKS would change their name to mine in my honor.

THAT is how much I completely loathe and disdain what has happened here. Here we have a bunch of wannabe designers that found a loop hole in their ability to create a waterpark by designing the thing through 'consultation' with the people that really should have been designing it.

ALL of the talk about , "Oh well you know it passed inspection in June, it was safe." OBVIOUSLY NOT because a little boy is dead.

There is absolutely NO excuse for what happened there to that little boy. Zero. The obligation of safety is squarely on the people who built and signed off on that thing, period.

this sounds like a great plan and all, but its all just a dream, and a good fictional story,

you wouldn't win anything unless you have the bank account of donald trump, all of those people you plan to sue would have far better lawyers then you could ever afford,

you would go bankrupt on lawyer fees before you got a quarter way through all of those lawsuits, no offense just being realistic,

I have followed this since Sunday trying to figure out how such a horrific thing could happen.

A few things:

I was able to figure out who the two woman were that were riding with Caleb and were injured. I am not great with judging weight, but from looking at their pictures I do think the correct minimum weight requirement was met.

If you do a search on Instagram, hashtag #Verruckt, there is a video posted on July 28th of the raft going over the second hill. This would be the hill where Caleb was killed. You can see the speed in which the raft comes over the hill. Also, it looks as though the raft rises up and shifts to the side at one point. Easy to see how faulty restraints, dangerous netting/metal, and the impossibility of knowing how a raft would react to different variables led to this disaster.

Very sad........

I tried sending you a PM but your box is full...just an FYI.

So many "news" articles keep saying that "witnesses" say their raft was under 400 pounds. But how exactly would witnesses know that unless they saw the women and they were clearly slender? So annoying.

So many "news" articles keep saying that "witnesses" say their raft was under 400 pounds. But how exactly would witnesses know that unless they saw the women and they were clearly slender? So annoying.

witnesses saying the women were "slender" would never hold up in a court of law, there would have to be proof of the weight of all occupants on the raft immediately prior to the ride

witnesses saying the women were "slender" would never hold up in a court of law, there would have to be proof of the weight of all occupants on the raft immediately prior to the ride

My post wasn't talking about courts or the legal system, just as an FYI. I was just saying that news sites are reporting rumors as fact and it's super annoying to me.

Why wouldn't it?

Amen. I completely agree. And poor Caleb died in such a horrible way.

Dude. I would BURN that place to the ground if my kid got killed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The original design had a 45 degree drop which was changed to 22 degrees (after, of course, rafts and dummies/sandbags flew off during test runs). But, even at 22 degrees, speed of (possibly) 60 mph, going from pulling 5 g's to weightlessness (as you ramp back up the "hill")... and IF the velcro restraint failed (which I think is very likely) the only thing holding this light weight young boy in the raft was his own bare wet hands gripping ropes inside the raft... well... it's amazing something like this hasn't happened before.

this sounds like a great plan and all, but its all just a dream, and a good fictional story,

you wouldn't win anything unless you have the bank account of donald trump, all of those people you plan to sue would have far better lawyers then you could ever afford,

you would go bankrupt on lawyer fees before you got a quarter way through all of those lawsuits, no offense just being realistic,

You're not being realistic though because that's not how it works. You don't have to pay lawyers for liability cases. The best of the best will line up for you when there's tens (or even hundreds) of millions of dollars on the line to win from insurance companies. If you win, they take a predetermined cut (usually around 40-50%). If you lose, you don't owe them anything. "Losing" almost never happens because they never take these to trial, they just settle out of court. It's pretty much a guaranteed payday for the lawyers who get these cases, which is why they don't charge you.

One video mentioned that this ride had a two page liability waiver, who puts a tiny child on that kind of thing? People really need to think and not just trust that rides this extreme are safe, especially when they're probably staffed by teenagers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back