KS - Caleb Schwab, 10, dies on 17-story Schlitterbahn waterpark slide, Aug 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
of course they are, that is the entire point of having insurance,

most large settlements like this are never 100% collected anyway,

getting a court judgement, and actually collecting that judgement are two entirely different ballgames,

its not as simple as walking up and asking for your 20 million dollar cheque (or whatever amount may be just an example),

the court judgement is only the beginning of the process, not the end,

there will be appeals that could take 5 or 10 or more years, these cases drag on forever,

it could be 5 or more years before they even receive one penny on a case like this,

i have been there and done that and have the t-shirt both as a plaintiff and defendant (although never a case this large).

Mmmm... no, this was a settlement, reached through negotiations between the parties involved, not a court verdict (although the judge does have to sign off on settlements). There is no judgement, there are no appeals. It's a contractual agreement, the family gets $ in exchange for dropping the lawsuit. Their payments will only take as long as it takes the companies to process a check, and for the lawyer to add up his share. Generally a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kansas may delay amusement park law passed after boy killed on water slide

Recently the Governor signed a bill requiring amusement park rides be inspected by certified inspectors, but the bill could be delayed because some ride operators say they need more time.

"The timeline was too aggressive for them to respond and be able to operate this year, so that one year delay would really be helpful to them," House Majority leader Don Hineman said.

This latest incident could have an impact on when the bill does into effect.

"We want to make sure the public is as safe as possible before using this equipment, so I see no reason why to delay it," House Minority leader Jim Ward said.
http://www.kake.com/story/35409621/...rk-law-passed-after-boy-killed-on-water-slide

Mmmm... no, this was a settlement, reached through negotiations between the parties involved, not a court verdict (although the judge does have to sign off on settlements)

<modsnip>

a settlement, and a court judgement (as far as the courts are concerned) are the exact same thing,

all the court does is issue the plaintiff a piece of paper that says "so and so" owes you "XXXXX" amount of dollars, thats it, its basically an IOU

the court does not collect a settlement or judgement for you

it is up to the plaintiff to collect that money,

collecting a settlement or judgement can be a very time consuming process, and can actually cost the plaintiff a heck of a lot of money,

its not as simple as walking up to the defense and asking for your cheque,

<modsnip>

Just before Thanksgiving last year, Schlitterbahn said it planned to tear down the Verruckt ride in Kansas City, Kan.

Nearly a year later, the 17-story water slide still peers over the hills of western Wyandotte County, a visible reminder of the death of 10-year-old Caleb Schwab, who was killed by the slide on Aug. 7, 2016.

Chris Kamler, a Kansas City resident who works at the Cerner office campus near The Legends in KCK, said he sees it everyday outside his work window. At times on his drive into work, he takes a different route to avoid Verruckt.

&#8220;That&#8217;s your first thought in the morning,&#8221; Kamler said. &#8220;It&#8217;s just a drag.&#8221;

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article185464243.html#storylink=cpy

I&#8217;m really surprised this monstrosity is still standing.

I’m really surprised this monstrosity is still standing.

They are not allowed to tear it down yet, the investigation is still on going,

It also costs a lot of money to tear down a ride like that, I would expect it to be there for a long time,

Just before Thanksgiving last year, Schlitterbahn said it planned to tear down the Verruckt ride in Kansas City, Kan.

Nearly a year later, the 17-story water slide still peers over the hills of western Wyandotte County, a visible reminder of the death of 10-year-old Caleb Schwab, who was killed by the slide on Aug. 7, 2016.

Chris Kamler, a Kansas City resident who works at the Cerner office campus near The Legends in KCK, said he sees it everyday outside his work window. At times on his drive into work, he takes a different route to avoid Verruckt.

“That’s your first thought in the morning,” Kamler said. “It’s just a drag.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article185464243.html#storylink=cpy

I’m really surprised this monstrosity is still standing.

I hate seeing it, too.

And what I really hate is that idea that Schlitterbahn may take it down very carefully, in order to move it to a different park and "redesign" the ride so it's not a total loss for them.

(This idea is my own, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere that it's possible they'll do that.)

I hate seeing it, too.

And what I really hate is that idea that Schlitterbahn may take it down very carefully, in order to move it to a different park and "redesign" the ride so it's not a total loss for them.

(This idea is my own, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere that it's possible they'll do that.)

I drive by it on my way to school every Monday night. I detest seeing it also. MOO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I hate seeing it, too.

I don't think the entire thing will be taken down, from what I have heard they will leave the "tower" part and use it for another ride, no real point in removing that....only the slide will be removed....

From what I have heard, another water ride will be installed using the same tower.....speculation says it will be one of the ones where you are enclosed in a tube, and just sliding without a raft

http://www.kansascity.com/news/article206258009.html

A Schlitterbahn executive has been arrested and charged with involuntary manslaughter in connection with the 2016 death of Caleb Schwab on the Verruckt water slide.
The Wyandotte County Sheriff's Office booking log shows that Tyler Austin Miles, who is listed as an operations director for Schlitterbahn, was booked into the county jail Friday morning. He is being held on a $50,000 bond.

"The former operations director for a water park in Kansas where a 10-year-old boy died on a ride was charged with a crime related to his death on Friday.

Tyler Austin Miles, 28, turned himself in on a charge of involuntary manslaughter, the Wayne County Sheriff's Office told DailyMail.com.

The charges stems from the August 2016 death of Caleb Schwab, who was decapitated while riding the Verrückt water slide at the Schlitterbahn water park in Kansas City."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-water-slide-death-boy-10.html#ixzz5Abs76sKz

I am glad he has been charged he is not the only one who should be. This is a terrible tragedy that should never have happened.

"The former operations director for a water park in Kansas where a 10-year-old boy died on a ride was charged with a crime related to his death on Friday.

Tyler Austin Miles, 28, turned himself in on a charge of involuntary manslaughter, the Wayne County Sheriff's Office told DailyMail.com.

The charges stems from the August 2016 death of Caleb Schwab, who was decapitated while riding the Verrückt water slide at the Schlitterbahn water park in Kansas City."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-water-slide-death-boy-10.html#ixzz5Abs76sKz

I am glad he has been charged he is not the only one who should be. This is a terrible tragedy that should never have happened.

He was only 26 and serving as operations director at the park? That seems really young, most definitely inexperienced.

Lots more details, the company has also been indicted.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/article206605804.html

While Miles, 29, is the only individual defendant named in the indictment, the actions of several corporate leaders, particularly co-owner Jeff Henry and Verruckt designer John Schooley are described throughout the document.
-snip-
Instead of vetting Verruckt, an experimental ride, through rigid dynamic and structural engineering, Friday's indictment said that Henry and Schooley both lacked technical expertise to design a properly functioning water slide.

The indictment said investigators found no records that any dynamic engineering calculations had ever been performed on Verruckt. Henry and Schooley, it's alleged, skipped fundamental design steps and relied "almost entirely on crude trial-and-error methods."
-snip-
Experts consulted by the Kansas Attorney General's investigators said that Verruckt ignored several industry standards, including the use of hook-and-loop straps to restrain passengers and placing an "obviously defective and ultimately lethal" netting and metal brace system atop of the slide.
-snip-
After the slide opened, a consultant on the project warned Henry that Verruckt was unfinished and unsafe, but the slide remained open anyway.
-snip-
The indictment accuses Miles of destroying or altering witness statements and incident reports of injuries. He is also accused of avoiding and delaying repairs to Verruckt, even though he had the authority to close Verruckt for safety-related repairs.

Another good article...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nyda...ter-slide-death-10-year-old-article-1.3892899
Claiming corporate executives were rushed, careless and lacked expertise to design a thrill ride, an indictment Friday levied criminal charges against Schlitterbahn Water Park in the death of 10-year-old Caleb Schwab.
-snip-
Friday’s indictment says that John Schooley, lead designer of Verruckt, "possessed no engineering credential relevant to amusement ride design or safety." It also said that Jeff Henry, co-owner of Schlitterbahn, had no technical or engineering credentials.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news...in-death-of-child-on-schlitterbahn-waterslide
The indictment itself cites whistleblowers inside Schlitterbahn who told grand jurors the company had covered up similar incidents in the past.
This article has a link to the indictment and a long list of prior injuries on the ride.

He was only 26 and serving as operations director at the park? That seems really young, most definitely inexperienced.

Not necessarily. If he went to some type of trade school or college for an associate or bachelor's degree out of high school then he would have between six to four years with credentials to propel him forward. If he just went into the trade without any kind of experience whatsoever, then he'd have up to eight years of experience. Regardless, IMO that's an adequate amount of time to garner experience for a job like that, so I can see it. Perhaps he may have had some kind of connection to someone within the company to help him get where he was (just a thought). With that being said, experience doesn't necessarily imply competence and that seems to definitely be the case here. :(

Not necessarily. If he went to some type of trade school or college for an associate or bachelor's degree out of high school then he would have between six to four years with credentials to propel him forward. If he just went into the trade without any kind of experience whatsoever, then he'd have up to eight years of experience. Regardless, IMO that's an adequate amount of time to garner experience for a job like that, so I can see it. Perhaps he may have had some kind of connection to someone within the company to help him get where he was (just a thought). With that being said, experience doesn't necessarily imply competence and that seems to definitely be the case here. :(

From the links Wyle_E_Coyote posted above, it looks like there were no people there who were certified or had the expertise to design and run the ride.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydai...icle-1.3892899
Claiming corporate executives were rushed, careless and lacked expertise to design a thrill ride, an indictment Friday levied criminal charges against Schlitterbahn Water Park in the death of 10-year-old Caleb Schwab.
-snip-
Friday&#8217;s indictment says that John Schooley, lead designer of Verruckt, "possessed no engineering credential relevant to amusement ride design or safety." It also said that Jeff Henry, co-owner of Schlitterbahn, had no technical or engineering credentials.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...ahn-waterslide
The indictment itself cites whistleblowers inside Schlitterbahn who told grand jurors the company had covered up similar incidents in the past.
This article has a link to the indictment and a long list of prior injuries on the ride.

BBM

It's a pretty stunning indictment of this amusement park and the people who were running it. Did they do this because KS no longer had regulations and standards for amusement park rides?

List of some of the injuries on the ride prior that had been covered up prior to Caleb's death:

Among the evidence cited by the Grand Jury is a list of injuries reported by riders on Verruckt:

Aug. 31, 2014 - A 14-year-old suffered a concussion
June 16, 2015 - A 20-year-old suffered slipped spinal disks
July 5, 2015 - A 15-year-old suffered a concussion
July 9, 2015 - A 21-year-old suffered neck pain
July 11, 2015 - A 23-year-old suffered neck pain
Aug. 3, 2015 - A 35-year-old suffered whiplash
June 20, 2016 - A 46-year-old suffered abrasions and bruising
July 3, 2016 - A 42-year-old suffered multiple broken toes
July 25, 2016 - A 17-year-old suffered a head laceration
Aug. 3, 2016 - A 15-year-old suffered a foot injury
Aug. 5, 2016 - A 42-year-old suffered herniated spinal disks
Aug. 7, 2016 - A 32-year-old suffered a fractured jaw bone and a head laceration
Aug. 7, 2016 - A 25-year-old suffered an orbital bone fracture and a head laceration
Aug. 8, 2016 - Caleb Schwab died on the ride.

Head lacerations? Are those from people hitting the netting?!

From the links Wyle_E_Coyote posted above, it looks like there were no people there who were certified or had the expertise to design and run the ride.

BBM

It's a pretty stunning indictment of this amusement park and the people who were running it. Did they do this because KS no longer had regulations and standards for amusement park rides?

List of some of the injuries on the ride prior that had been covered up prior to Caleb's death:

I am shocked none of these injuries leaked before now were the victims paid off? Did any of them go to the authorities? I'm not shocked other people were injured at all.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CMW0203
Back