KS - Caleb Schwab, 10, dies on 17-story Schlitterbahn waterpark slide, Aug 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just now catching up on this thread and wow - so heartbreaking. I can't even begin to imagine what the parents must be going through. I am SO glad that WS is a victim-friendly site. The things I have read where so many are saying horrible things about the parents just break my heart. I have no idea how people can be so insensitive and so cruel. These parents just lost their child - do people on the Internet think that they are doing anything BUT second guessing every.single.last.decision they made that tragic day? They are living in their own hell and I just can't believe the audacity people have with their words. Boy anonymity sure is a great thing for the trolls huh.

Stepping down now...

I agree! Regardless of whether we personally would have allowed our child on the slide, obviously either 1.) he met the requirements set by the park, 2.) the park workers disregarded the rules knowingly, 3.) the park workers were negligent in assessing the size of the child, 4.) the requirements set were wrong or 5.) the ride was just unsafe, period.

I don't know who the blame falls on, but it is certainly NOT the parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if the ride was attached and there were harnesses it wouldn't be classified as a water slide and then the creators couldn't pat themselves on the back for a world record. It disgusts me, honestly.

They do seem to have a fixation on having the "est" of rides. Their most recent "est" accomplishment [opened in June 2016] is the MASSIV, the world's tallest water coaster, at their Galveston park.

First it was the longest river ride, then the longest torrent (action) river ride, then the tallest waterslide. Now, Schlitterbahn is building the world’s tallest water coaster and putting it in the award-winning Schlitterbahn Waterpark on Galveston Island.

MASSIV, named after the German word for massive, is the latest waterslide in the Schlitterbahn family of record-breaking water rides. MASSIV sets a new record for height of a water coaster. This massive ride will be visible as visitors travel into Galveston Island.
http://www.galveston.com/blog/201/s...assiv-the-tallest-water-coaster-in-the-world/

I's also the longest slide at Schlitterbahn Galveston, and it seems to be just one of many records for Shlitterbahn parks nationwide. According to Guinness World Records:

The tallest water coaster is MASSIV at Schlitterbahn Galveston Island Water Park (USA), which is 24.86 m (81 ft 6.72 in) tall, and situated in Galveston,Texas, USA, as measured on 16 June 2016.

The tallest water slide is The Verruckt at Schlitterbahn Water Park (USA) in Kansas City, Kansas, USA, measuring 51.38 m (168 ft 7 in) as of 18 April 2014.

http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/wo...pen-at-schlitterbahn-galveston-island-8509285

Having the "est" of things appears to me to be a big part of their marketing strategy.

BBM

On July 9, 2014, FOX 4 interviewed one of the designers of the Verrückt, which was finally set to open the following day at Schlitterbahn Waterpark, after the slide’s grand opening was delayed at least four times. (Read more about that here in the story from July 2014.)

On the change in ride restrictions (allowing 3 people per raft instead of 4, requiring passengers be 54″ tall, and 14-years old):

“The restrictions had to do with the energy that is gained by these boats as they go down this steep drop,” said John Schooley. “They have a lot of momentum so we have a window that the slide works really well in and it’s a reasonable window and we liked having three people in it and that’s what has brought it about. It’s a very high-thrill ride. It’s very technical and that’s it, you know, we built it, we’ve been building it for two years. We designed it. We tested it. We didn’t like what we saw. We tore two-thirds of it down, rebuilt it again in two or three weeks."

http://fox4kc.com/2016/08/09/interv...r-we-had-a-great-team-involved-in-doing-this/

2-3 weeks. Seems rather hasty, IMO.

And it's not like Jeff Henry and Schlitterbahn weren't having any financial cash flow issues in the summer of 2014 or anything like that.

The financial problems surrounding Schlitterbahn [Corpus Christi TX] have finally been resolved. For months, the company owed its vendors over $500,000, but now, they've all been paid.

As we've reported, Henry and the other two partners behind the island waterpark ran out of money last summer [2014] after they decided to double the size of the project.

And even though this major financial issue is behind him, Henry isn't celebrating just yet. Now, he turns his attention to getting the park done as soon as possible.

"The vendor dispute, the monkey is off my back. Completing the park, the monkey is now on my back, and it doesn't feel like a monkey, it feels more like a gorilla right now," Henry says.

It may feel like a gorilla because millions of dollars in taxpayer funded incentives hang in the balance. If the waterpark isn't done by the end of September [2015], Schlitterbahn misses out on that money, and it's already gotten one extension from the [Corpus Christi] city council.
http://www.kristv.com/story/2842460...tterbahn-pays-vendors-throws-them-giant-party

Vendors are not the only ones who’ve had to be patient during this process. The waterpark was originally scheduled to open last summer [2014], then this spring break, and now this summer. So far, only part of the resort and indoor waterpark have opened. Meanwhile, the city of Corpus Christi has invested more than $100 million in the project and has had to grant extensions on timelines tied to those incentives, according to reports.
http://www.aquaticsintl.com/facilit...litterbahn-corpus-christi-to-pay-up-open-up_o

The Upper Padre Island project “required a significant draw down of resources,” according to the statement.

Winter Prosapio, director of corporate communications and government relations for Schlitterbahn, said the company should secure financing in the coming weeks to complete the Corpus Christi park and pay its vendors.

She explained that the original scope of the project grew from a stand-alone water park to one of its largest locations after Schlitterbahn decided to include a full-service restaurant and event space.

In May 2012, the city of Corpus Christi approved a $117 million economic incentive package for Schlitterbahn’s $552 million, 574-acre development that includes the water park as well as a marina, golf course, hotel and residential property.

Initially slated to open by summer 2013, the Upper Padre Island park now will host a limited opening this spring, with plans for a larger debut in the summer [2015], Prosapio said. market for event space,” Prosapio said. “There’s not a lot of it in the Corpus Christi area.”

http://m.mysanantonio.com/business/...Schlitterbahn-over-Corpus-Christi-6005368.php

I wonder how much economic development $ and/or tax incentives have gone to Schlitterbahn KC?

Going back to 2014 reporting, it looks to me that it wasn't just Schlitterbahn who had a vested interest in Verrückt opening that summer.

As far as the ride’s riskiness, science can explain that, said one expert contacted by The Star. Tim Landschoot is a mechanical engineer and lecturer at New York’s Rochester Institute of Technology. He is the faculty adviser to the university’s theme park engineering program, and he uses the Verrückt to teach fundamental principles of physics.

At its root, the science of the ride is not complex. Like roller coasters and other thrill rides, it centers on the acceleration of a body in motion, in this case a boat containing riders.

At the bottom of the initial drop, the raft now has momentum (mass multiplied by velocity) to help propel it some 50 feet up another five stories and over the Verrückt’s final rise.

“The last thing you want is too much speed,” Landschoot said. “On the second hump, you don’t want to actually go flying off, leave the slide. You want to go slow enough so you are riding over it and not just jumping over it.”

Once the raft reaches the top of the rise, the weight of the boat and passengers pulled down by gravity takes over once again. Gravity pulls the raft and riders down the chute. Friction and water resistance deplete the raft’s energy as it cruises to a stop.

“If it performs as expected, the raft stays on the water and on the slide. And that’s good,” he said. “But if a restraint or harness has given way, that’s bad.”

It’s bad because, as physics dictates, a body in motion will remain in motion and in a straight line unless acted on by another force.

If a rider is speeding over the rise and, for whatever reason, the harness gives way, physics dictates that the individual will continue in a straight line, flying out of the seat as the boat and its other passengers continue to drop to the pool below.

The forces acting on riders are why the harnesses are so critical.

Much more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article94595887.html#storylink=cpy

Article includes criticism of the use of Velcro for the restraints.

When I first read Velcro, I was really expecting subsequent reporting to say the restraints used a different form of fastener.

That doesn't appear to be the case.

I'm no engineer or physicist by any stretch, but Velcro does not seem to be the best choice if the focus is truly on safety.

Velcro. Really?

Begs the question of how many other Schlitterbahn attractions and those at other parks use Velcro.

And why.

First of all, my condolences to Caleb's family! What an utter nightmare! Although noone should blame the parents imo, I think they will always feel guilty for the rest of their lives to have allowed Caleb to ride this death trap that day. (I know I would.) It's so tragic, and the emerging reports about the safety of Verrückt, or rather lack thereof, are beyond belief! Just horrific and shocking.

Can't you live a little bit after decapitation or is it instant? I don't remember I know some Doctor did an experiment back in the 1600s or something.

I believe it is instant.

Very unlikely. I'll explain, but it's a rather "clinical" explanation, and for that I'll apologize in advance.

Anesthesia professionals are experts at estimating blood loss in the OR, and especially blood loss that is diluted with irrigation fluid, amniotic fluid, etc, so bear with me. A waterslide is not the OR, granted-- but there are similarities when visually estimating blood loss, and calculating total blood volume based on age and weight.

Caleb was 10 years old, approximately 60 to 70 lbs, so had an estimated total blood volume of about 2 to 2 1/2 liters. IMO, from the amount of blood in the water visible in the pool in the aerial shots, plus the blood smears on the slide on the lower hill, pretty much his entire blood volume was in the water.

An "internal decapitation" is a hangman's fracture, C 1-2. Bloodless, and with the skin of the neck intact.

From what witnesses described, and from pictures of the slide and pool at the end, there was a great deal of blood lost, and lay people have described a "decapitation". They would not be describing this using these words if the "decapitation" was internal, and not visible. When a lay person uses that term, decapitation, they only mean one thing-- catastrophic separation, or nearly complete, separation of the head. (Apologies for being graphic.)

Again, apologies for sounding "clinical." In no way do I want to minimize the abject horror of what this poor child experienced, what the lifeguards, the witnesses, his family, the first responders all saw--and even the technicians who have to process the accident scene, and the maintenance workers who had to clean up the blood. And the medical examiner and workers at the morgue, also, though it's their job to process and document often horrific deaths. They will all be very deeply affected emotionally from what they saw. I have no doubt that some will have PTSD and nightmares. It's truly horrific. His poor family-- I have no idea how they will live with what happened to their dear sweet boy Caleb. I hope they can all find some kind of peace and comfort.

Hi K_Z, thank you for weighing in, I was hoping you would! What do you think about the above quoted question, whether his death would have been "instant"? What does "instant" mean - less than a second, 10 seconds, a minute? My (layperson) understanding is that even when the heart stops, the brain can remain active (and conscious?) for another half a minute or so? I very much hope he was just knocked out and unconscious the moment he hit the net or the poles, or whatever he hit.

May he Rest in Peace!

I keep seeing people say this, but I can't see how the fact that he was a State Rep's son could have anything to do with him being allowed on the ride. How would they know? Would you recognize your State Rep's children? I know I wouldn't. I doubt the kid went up and stated who his father was and I doubt that would influence the decision of the young people who usually work these rides whether they believed him or not. I also seriously doubt his father made a special call or visit to tell them to disregard the rules and allow his son on a ride that could potentially be dangerous.

I thought for awhile that the rules were bent for a dignitary's child. It was just an idea I had while trying to figure out how this tragedy happened. I don't think the rules were bent for Caleb now that I know other children also were allowed on the ride. Opinions change as more information is learned.

jmopinion at the moment.

I keep seeing people say this, but I can't see how the fact that he was a State Rep's son could have anything to do with him being allowed on the ride. How would they know? Would you recognize your State Rep's children? I know I wouldn't. I doubt the kid went up and stated who his father was and I doubt that would influence the decision of the young people who usually work these rides whether they believed him or not. I also seriously doubt his father made a special call or visit to tell them to disregard the rules and allow his son on a ride that could potentially be dangerous.

I read the day Caleb died was a special day at the park for state officials and their families.

FOX 4 News ‏@fox4kc 6m6 minutes ago
A limited portion of @Schlitterbahn will open for guests at noon on Wed. Verrückt will not re-open for the remainder of the season

I have no words...

:eek:verreaction:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,21023440,00.html

Dr. Kenneth Solomon at the Institute of Risk & Safety Analysis tells PEOPLE it would be very concerning if the ride in fact only used velcro as a constraint.

"That's a definite no-no," he says. "Velcro is not good for force that pulls outward. It also doesn't secure well and most importantly if there is any kind of debree in the velcro material it would affect the ability to adhere."

Thank you, when I heard they were using Velcro straps , I was like What?!!! How did they get away with this?

I have no words...

:eek:verreaction:

I'm not surprised to be honest this is the busiest time of year for them & they aren't going to close the whole park despite this terrible tragedy. I'm not condoning this decision in any way.

When the ride came off the rails at Glasgow's main theme park here in Scotland with people injured a few months back. The whole park was shut until the Health & Safety executive a government body that regulates safety examined all the parks rides to ensure they were safe. The park is open fully but that ride isn't I know takings are way down as many families are staying away.

Visitor numbers will be down at the park Caleb died for the remainder of the season. They will be trying to figure out how to overhaul the ride to reassure people it is safe for next season. Unfortunately the only way the ride will close permanently is if people don't want to ride it anymore.

This article has some new details in it regarding how the brothers were separated and why he was riding with adults he didn't know.

Also, some gruesome details so be aware of that.

http://sandrarose.com/2016/08/caleb-schwab-10-decapitated-on-worlds-tallest-water-slide/

From the link:

"The 2 boys were weighed on a scale at the bottom of the tower and again on a scale at the top of the tower.

The 2 brothers could not ride the raft together with a 3rd person because the combined weight of all 3 riders didn’t meet the specified 400 lb. minimum.

So Nate went down the water slide first with 2 adult strangers.

Then it was Caleb’s turn."

(As an aside: not sure why a news article doesn't spell out the number words....first I've seen that.)

What makes this so mind boggling is that most of us don't need an expert to tell us this! How did this ride pass initial inspection??? Who were the incompetent engineers involved in the design???

I too cannot wrap my mind around how many people were involved in this project and no one put their foot down about using velcro for the safety harness!
I wish this was a criminal investigation... IMO, it should be as basic safety measures were compromised to get the project open and running after continued delays. I see this as more than negligent, rather a blatant disregard of human safety.
Depraved Heart Murder

In a depraved-heart murder, defendants commit an act even though they know their act runs an unusually high risk of causing death or serious bodily harm to someone else.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depraved-heart_murder
http://www.duhaime.org/LegalDictionary/D/DepravedHeartMurder.aspx

I assume even in a civil matter the Plaintiff (Caleb's family) will be able to subpoena internal emails, memos, all safety reports/recommendations etc. I just hope there isn't a lot of shredding going on right now. Someone had to have questioned the use of Velcro as a "safety" harness. It does not take an engineer to know Velcro is not an adequate material to pass as a safety measure.
It actually kind of blows my mind.

From above article Witness accounts are that 1- Caleb's raft didn't meet the 400 lb weight limit and 2- one of the scales malfunctioned. I suppose we should take both of those points with a grain of salt but it makes perfect sense to me.
Average weight of a 10 year old male is 68 pounds, with a range of 57-100 lbs. Caleb looks slim in his baseball photo, so assume he weighed 65 lbs. The combined weight of the two other passengers should have been 335 lbs or an average of 167.5 lbs of each adult female passenger. I also question whether the raft met the weight requirement. And that doesn't take the "safety" harness made with Velcro into account. Sad to say, but IMO, if it had not been Caleb, it would have been some other child. Caleb's death was totally preventable and infuriates me.
http://m.newhealthadvisor.com/How-Much-Should-a-10-Year-Old-Weigh.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayraeyn123
Back