KS KS - Colton Barrera, 17, Russell, 26 Sept 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Glad to see this case being discussed here. Colton and his loved ones need justice. Just another case of LE writing it off as a "runaway "

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From what I've been able to determine so far, Colton did not run away. Even if he did, I fail to see the relevance; is the Russell County Sheriff's Office telling us that a Kansas missing child who has run away is in less danger than a Kansas missing child who disappeared by some other means? What proof did they have that he ran away? I could not find any.....but it has been over six years, and still, they refuse to interview witnesses and refuse to search. I don't understand, and it makes me very nervous about my own children here in Kansas.

As a member of the Websleuths community, I am keeping Colton in my thoughts. I have no idea what happened, but I know his family and friends are still so worried and upset. My heart is with you.

Bump. Alot of things are happening at the facebook page. A woman (I will not name her here) has come forward saying she has information, but refuses to tell. And someone keeps reporting the page, they fear FB will shut it down. Someone obviously knows something

From YouTube:

JANUARY 11, 2012 – YouTube video (also see comments):

AUGUST 9, 2012 – YouTube video posted by Colton’s mother:

NOVEMBER 8, 2015 – YouTube video:

I had someone place a call out to the Russell Sheriff's dept. today and they basically said that they cannot say much, but that an active investigation is taking place. I asked if they have interviewed any of the people that Lynda (Colton's mother) has been accusing on FB, and while they could not say specifically if they have interviewed the people that she named, he said he was familiar with at least one of the names and that many many people had been interviewed.

If anyone here knows the "next step," in terms of finding out more information from LE regarding how much they have actually investigated this disappearance, I'd be really appreciative. I'm willing to take this as far as it has to go in order to find Colton.

Edit: A call was made to the County Attorney, but he was in court. A number was left, will update if/when a return call is received.

Last edited:
OCT 2, 2019
KBI launches missing persons website
On Oct. 1, the Kansas Bureau of Investigation revealed a new website aimed at increasing the public’s involvement with Kansas missing persons cases.

The new missing persons website can be viewed at www.kbi.ks.gov/missingpersons. ...

[...]

The new site allows for searches by a missing person’s name, or by Kansas county. Persons missing from area counties include:

• Colton Barrera, now 28, missing from Russell County since Sept. 26, 2008

… When using the site, individuals are able to submit tips, information, and sightings directly to the KBI. ...

“We know from experience that tips from the public provide a great advantage to law enforcement in locating missing Kansans, and we hope this website increases our interactions with citizens who wish to help,” said KBI Director Kirk Thompson.

[...]

JUN 1, 2021
Missing children - GREAT BEND TRIBUNE (gbtribune.com)
A recent poster contest and the observance of National Missing Children’s Day reminds us that hundreds of children across the nation are missing.

[...]

The NCMEC list currently includes the names, photographs and other information about the 78 children missing from Kansas. They include Colton Barrera, missing from Russell since 2008, when he was 16 or 17. ...

[...]

The National Child Identification Program (childidprogram.com) offers prevention tips for parents, including things all children should be taught, such as their full name, address and telephone number, including area code.

[...]

Colton is still missing. He would be 32 years old now. :(

Colton Barrera​

Reporting Agency: Russell County Sheriff's Office

Information
Current Age: 32Age when Missing: 17
Race: WhiteGender: Male
Height: 5'07"Weight: 125 lbs.
Hair Color: BlackEye Color: Brown
Location Information
Date Last Seen: 9/26/2008Missing From: Russell County

Photos​

person image

5716DMKS.jpg
5716DMKS1.jpg
5716DMKS2.jpg
5716DMKS3.jpg

Right: Age-progressed by NCMEC to 20 years

Name: Colton Ross Barrera
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: September 26, 2008
Location Last Seen: Russell, Russell County, Kansas

Physical Description​

Date of Birth: October 22, 1990
Race: White
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 135 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: May wear glasses; concave sternum; medium complexion

Identifiers​

Dentals: Availale
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown

Clothing & Personal Items​

Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Skateboard

Circumstances of Disappearance​

Colton was last seen on September 26, 2008, leaving high school in Luray. A friend claimed to have dropped Colton off at a skate park in Russell, about 24 miles south of Luray. Colton was supposed to call the friend when he was ready to leave. The friend said Colton never called. Colton's wallet and identification were left at his house. It's not been proven Colton ever arrived at the skate park. Foul play is suspected.

Investigating Agency(s)​

Agency Name: Russell County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: Jeff VonLehe, Deputy
Agency Phone Number: 785-483-2151
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 08-479

Agency Name: Kansas Bureau of Investigation
Agency Contact Person: Kevin Campbell, Investigator
Agency Phone Number: 785-296-8262
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: N/A

NCIC Case Number: M117717740