Found Deceased KS - Lucas Hernandez, 5, Wichita, 17 Feb 2018 #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's so heartbreaking to see Lucas' thread go cold with really no conclusion, no answers. The news of his disappearance brought him into my life like a wrecking ball and the lack of real closure just leaves me feeling so cold and sad inside. I hope that his death was not in vain and that some type of Lucas' Law will come about and save other children in the future. I still think about Lucas every single day.

Well Nancy G is at it again, and doesn't discriminate with her confused tips! Missing Iowa college girl Mollie Tibbets was confused with another, and NG Show was (incorrectly/unconfirmed) reporting her dead....

Apologies for bringing this up a month later, but I am confused by your post. Nancy never reported Mollie dead. There were two different cases discussed on the show: Mollie Tibbetts and Karina Vetrano. Nancy never reported Mollie as dead on the July 24 show. She had Karina's father on the show. Karin was found dead, which they discussed, but never once did she say that about Mollie (on this show at least--it was reported last week that Mollie was found deceased). I don't mind if Nancy or any of the team is called out for actual mistakes, but only if a mistake actually happens.

I was stunned when they mentioned the “10th or 11th and the bathroom” as factual. I think they got so caught up in the story, they started grasping at anything for a good headline. It was disappointing.

On the show you are referring to, the only show where the 10th or 11th was mentioned, Nancy clearly said "reportedly" and "unconfirmed." Unless the DA provides an updated announcement, it will remain that way, but Crime Stories never presented the information as factual.

Nancy said, "How do we know this? As of yet unconfirmed."

Listen to Free Episodes of Crime Stories with Nancy Grace on iHeartRadio | iHeartRadio

On the show you are referring to, the only show where the 10th or 11th was mentioned, Nancy clearly said "reportedly" and "unconfirmed." Unless the DA provides an updated announcement, it will remain that way, but Crime Stories never presented the information as factual.

Nancy said, "How do we know this? As of yet unconfirmed."

Listen to Free Episodes of Crime Stories with Nancy Grace on iHeartRadio | iHeartRadio
But why even bring it up when it had clearly come out of someone’s back end? Do you realize what it did to the family and all of those who were so invested in this case? There was absolutely no indication of anything regarding those dates from any sort of reliable source - and there WAS reliable information that Lucas had been seen after those dates (which was later confirmed by the DA). Same with rhe “killed in the bathroom” thing. It would not have been difficult to confirm.

And why wait to address it until months later, when you were asked to clarify it multiple times when it happened, and when LE specifically refuted the claims? There were plenty of opportunities to graciously and respectfully walk it back but nope. Nothing.

Can you just make up stuff, create havoc, and then say oh it was ok because “we said unsubstantiated“? I’m sorry i know i sound rude and I’m sure I’ll pay for it, but this was an incredibly emotional case for everyone involved and we are fiercly protective of his loved ones. They didn’t deserve any of this circus.

If anyone needs me I’ll be in the time-out closet.

But why even bring it up when it had clearly come out of someone’s back end? Do you realize what it did to the family and all of those who were so invested in this case? There was absolutely no indication of anything regarding those dates from any sort of reliable source - and there WAS reliable information that Lucas had been seen after those dates (which was later confirmed by the DA). Same with rhe “killed in the bathroom” thing. It would not have been difficult to confirm.

And why wait to address it until months later, when you were asked to clarify it multiple times when it happened, and when LE specifically refuted the claims?

Can you just make up stuff, create havoc, and then say oh it was ok because “we said unsubstantiated“? I’m sorry i know i sound rude, but this was an incredibly emotional case for everyone involved and we are fiercly protective of his loved ones. They didn’t deserve any of this circus.

I was just now told about these replies (and other comments on here about the show which I can't argue with because they were true :) ) or I would have addressed it months ago. As for why it was brought up, I don't know. I didn't report it. I do know there were trusted sources who didn't wish to provide the public with how they knew the information. I can attest, however, that police were indeed back at the Hernandez home on the weekend of June 2, as I was in in Wichita at the time.

And it's OK, you don't sound rude. I completely understand what you are saying. We were also were emotionally invested in this case. I don't think Nancy or anyone else meant any harm by it, although I can see what you are saying. I am simply trying to say we didn't set out to report false information or represent anything as absolute-- and there was good reason for reporting it at the time, I assume.

I was just now told about these replies (and other comments on here about the show which I can't argue with because they were true :) ) or I would have addressed it months ago. As for why it was brought up, I don't know. I didn't report it. I do know there were trusted sources who didn't wish to provide the public with how they knew the information. I can attest, however, that police were indeed back at the Hernandez home on the weekend of June 2, as I was in in Wichita at the time.

And it's OK, you don't sound rude. I completely understand what you are saying. We were also were emotionally invested in this case. I don't think Nancy or anyone else meant any harm by it, although I can see what you are saying. I am simply trying to say we didn't set out to report false information or represent anything as absolute-- and there was good reason for reporting it at the time, I assume.
I really appreciate your respectful and heartfelt reaponse, Leigh. Although i still hold disappointment and frustration for what happened, You have earned back a lot of my respect. Thank you for taking my words to heart and responding in kind. It says a lot.

And why wait to address it until months later, when you were asked to clarify it multiple times when it happened, and when LE specifically refuted the claims? There were plenty of opportunities to graciously and respectfully walk it back but nope. Nothing.

Can you just make up stuff, create havoc, and then say oh it was ok because “we said unsubstantiated“? I’m sorry i know i sound rude and I’m sure I’ll pay for it, but this was an incredibly emotional case for everyone involved and we are fiercly protective of his loved ones. They didn’t deserve any of this circus.

I have to say I agree with everything you just wrote above. This was, indeed, an extremely emotional case. Many of us never met little Lucas or heard of him until he went missing. Yet, he became a part of our daily lives, and one of his wonderful family members became one of us because of Lucas.

This was heartbreaking in a way I can't describe, the ups and downs emotionally took a toll on a lot of people on here- especially the wonderful locals who searched for him daily. People gave their love, their hearts, and their time to try and help find him, whether it was searching, posting on the internet his missing poster, or just posting here.

I love Nancy, but this time, I feel like my trust went down a few notches. Such information given out about the second autopsy, the bathroom, and other things should not have been presented until they were confirmed facts.

Even on here, there was misinformation about Emily being pregnant again, to which sent many a poster over the edge, due to Lucas being missing and Emily not having custody of her own boys. Turns out, Jonathan was right- she wasn't pregnant at all.

I had to take a break from here- the inconclusive autopsy report upset me so damn much, I feel like I don't want to be here again. Then I think of how there might be a person locally who might need help being searched for or their families needing help, and I feel guilty and wrong for staying away. It just sucked the life right out of me. My heart goes out to his loved ones who got no answers as to what truly happened to Lucas that night or early morning, to cause Emily to dump him like bag of empty containers from McDonald's and never told at least Lucas' father what truly happened. It's like a punch to the stomach.

Rest in peace, darling Lucas. You are always in my heart and I think of you daily. Praying his siblings and step siblings are doing ok- I can't imagine how scary and upsetting this is to all of them.

I really appreciate your respectful and heartfelt reaponse, Leigh. Although i still hold disappointment and frustration for what happened, You have earned back a lot of my respect. Thank you for taking my words to heart and responding in kind. It says a lot.

Thank you! I've seen many of your replies on the Lucas case and I can see how much time and love you've put into this little guy and trying to get justice, which earned my respect for you threads back. I'm frustrated myself. Still so many unanswered questions and gaps in this story. Lucas touched so many hearts; he deserves justice.

You’re very sweet, but there were so many with boots on the geound who were the true workhorses. What’s super-cool is that now many are using those newly-learned skills in other cases. Lucas has truly left a legacy!

ETA: In response to @leighEg post - quote feature didn’t work.

I have to say I agree with everything you just wrote above. This was, indeed, an extremely emotional case. Many of us never met little Lucas or heard of him until he went missing. Yet, he became a part of our daily lives, and one of his wonderful family members became one of us because of Lucas.

This was heartbreaking in a way I can't describe, the ups and downs emotionally took a toll on a lot of people on here- especially the wonderful locals who searched for him daily. People gave their love, their hearts, and their time to try and help find him, whether it was searching, posting on the internet his missing poster, or just posting here.

I love Nancy, but this time, I feel like my trust went down a few notches. Such information given out about the second autopsy, the bathroom, and other things should not have been presented until they were confirmed facts.

Even on here, there was misinformation about Emily being pregnant again, to which sent many a poster over the edge, due to Lucas being missing and Emily not having custody of her own boys. Turns out, Jonathan was right- she wasn't pregnant at all.

I had to take a break from here- the inconclusive autopsy report upset me so damn much, I feel like I don't want to be here again. Then I think of how there might be a person locally who might need help being searched for or their families needing help, and I feel guilty and wrong for staying away. It just sucked the life right out of me. My heart goes out to his loved ones who got no answers as to what truly happened to Lucas that night or early morning, to cause Emily to dump him like bag of empty containers from McDonald's and never told at least Lucas' father what truly happened. It's like a punch to the stomach.

Rest in peace, darling Lucas. You are always in my heart and I think of you daily. Praying his siblings and step siblings are doing ok- I can't imagine how scary and upsetting this is to all of them.
So glad you’re back *mwah*

Kansas’ child welfare agency failed to meet more than half of 30 federal and state performance standards last year, according to a report that used the agency’s data.

The Department for Children and Families released the report this week that showed it didn’t meet 16 standards from July 1, 2017, through June 30, 2018. The report comes after a year when the agency changed its leaders amid severe criticism of its performance, The Wichita Eagle reported .

Child welfare advocates said the report shows the depth of the department’s problems. DCF officials said they have responded with several new efforts to improve performance.

“I’m not sure that there has been a full acknowledgment of the numbers that are on this (report),” said Benet Magnuson, director of the social justice group Kansas Appleseed.

Kansas child welfare agency failed to meet 16 standards

Yea you think they have a problem! insert <sarcasm>

Kansas’ child welfare agency failed to meet more than half of 30 federal and state performance standards last year, according to a report that used the agency’s data.

The Department for Children and Families released the report this week that showed it didn’t meet 16 standards from July 1, 2017, through June 30, 2018. The report comes after a year when the agency changed its leaders amid severe criticism of its performance, The Wichita Eagle reported .

Child welfare advocates said the report shows the depth of the department’s problems. DCF officials said they have responded with several new efforts to improve performance.

“I’m not sure that there has been a full acknowledgment of the numbers that are on this (report),” said Benet Magnuson, director of the social justice group Kansas Appleseed.

Kansas child welfare agency failed to meet 16 standards

Yea you think they have a problem! insert <sarcasm>
Thanks for posting this. I tried yesterday from my phone and was unsuccessful. I'm afraid that with Colyer going out, progress will stall out even more.

That said, it would be interesting to see where KS measures up against other states in meeting this criteria.

There were also some positives in the article:

Department spokeswoman Taylor Forrest said in a statement that the agency has implemented several projects to improve its service to children and families.

The agency did meet some standards, such as a finding that 6.4 percent of the children who had been mistreated were mistreated again, below the standard of 9.1 percent.

About 4,200 children were placed into foster care last year in Kansas, with 3,800 leaving foster care during that time. At the end of June, nearly 7,600 children were in foster care in Kansas.

Since Gina Meier-Hummel replaced Phyllis Gilmore as secretary in December 2017, the department has made several other leadership and policy changes.

Forrest said DCF will begin using a new system with real-time data in January to be more efficient at finding foster homes for children. To improve overall performance, the agency has begun “rapid permanency reviews,” in which case managers and supervisors participate in reviews and must take steps to improve.

The agency also is testing a new program called Icebreakers, which is intended to facilitate conversations between birth parents and foster parents within 10 days of a long-term foster care placement. The program will be implemented statewide in 2019.

DCF is shifting its focus to the entire family rather than individual children to “change the culture around non-abuse and neglect assignments,” Forrest said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back