Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't know she was suicidal do we? And also there's no note. That bothers me too.
People assume she was suicidal and planned to kill herself. But I'm really not convinced of that.

We don't know that she wasn't. Evidence points to her being suicidal. LE has deemed her death a suicide. I will go by that decision unless it's changed. Her family, I'm sure knows a lot more than has been made public.

I don't see anything nefarious about what happened to Marilane. I'm not sure why people seem to think the husband is involved somehow. I'm not getting that at all.

Mental illness, drugs, alcohol, a drug reaction - whatever was happening with Marilane is tragic and yet by driving into that Container, I can't help but believe it was purposeful. It wasn't an accident IMO.

I hate that we are sitting here trying to blame the police, her family etc. for what happened. If you ever have dealt with a mentally ill person who is determined to do what they want to do you would understand what Marilane's family was up against. It is heartbreaking, intensely scary and the inability to understand and help is probably the worst feeling to have in these types of situations.

IMO Marilane was in crisis and in terrible emotional and psychological pain. Her illness dictated her story from the moment she decided to drive, rather than use the plane ticket. Whether she left with a plan to commit suicide or whether she developed a plan on her route, we will never know.

I do not believe she was murdered. I do not believe her husband had anything to do with her death. I do believe, in an altered state, Marilane made the decision to end her life alone in a dark shipping container and that is so incredibly sad that I have a hard time even typing that.

This is my opinion only. If the results of the autopsy show something different, I'll eat my words. I just think this is a horrible tragedy.

MOO
Well put! I agree.

She's driving a 2017 SUV with Park Assist. That's the entire point behind Park Assist - to allow for precision parking regardless of the person's inherent experience or skill.
Ok I didn't think of that.

In that case I'm only getting more convinced she just wanted to sleep for a few hours in a safe place and out of sight. Because if there was no issue driving further backwards, yet she didn't I don't think she planned to kill herself.

Am just tuning in to all these threads on WS. A bit off topic, I know, but I keep going back to the gas station stop where a woman claims she gave Marilane cash because her card was declined. (Or, like I've sometimes done, inserted it improperly?) I question why it was declined--did someone put a Stop Payment on it? Later, however, she stops at a hotel and, presumably, pays beforehand? Someone in my family took his own life, which is why I can't get this family and those precious kids off my mind. Lifelong repercussions . . . :-(

Welcome to WS, @Granna10!

Do you have a link to something saying her credit card was declined? I had not heard that. Interesting.

Here’s the link. I haven’t heard this either!

Multi-state search for missing Overland Park mom continues as family fears for her safety | FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF-TV | News, Weather, Sports

The mother of three and local pastor’s wife was last seen Monday. She left home on Saturday, saying she wanted to seek mental health treatment. The family believes she was heading for Grandview Medical Center in Birmingham where she once worked as a chaplain.

The family said she stayed overnight in West Plains, Missouri, according to her bank statement. On Sunday, they spoke with her for the last time. They said she seemed confused and disoriented.

Since then, she was seen at a gas station in West Memphis, Arkansas, on Sunday and on Monday at another gas station in Southhaven, Mississippi. Officer John Lacy with the Overland Park Police Department said they’re waiting for more information.
It’s my understanding there’s a person that assisted her, that she needed gas in that area and aided her in giving her about $10-20 of gasoline, and she proceeded,” Lacy said.

What bothers me big time is that everyone's convinced it's suicide.

It could very well NOT have been her intention to kill herself, but trying to create a situation where she could sleep for a while, out of sight. And where nobody could sneak up on her.

That's what bothers me. And there could also have been a crime.

But, police are there, and I would bet they are investigating either option. They have 100% more information than we do. She called and said she needed help. She was obviously distraught, but that doesn't mean someone was trying to hurt her. She was seeking treatment. We don't know what happened, only she does. I guess I am waiting on COD. There might be an obvious reason that LE is assuming suicide.

Find Marilane
2h ·
UPDATE 9:30 PM August 7 2020

We are now approx 120 hours since any confirmed communication with Marilane Carter. Family, friends, and hundreds of thousands of complete strangers are praying, sharing the story, and looking for Marilane. News media has been fantastic in publicizing our efforts to find Marilane nationwide.

To all of you who have offered to assist in searching, more info coming soon on how you can help.

RIGHT NOW:
-the area of the last confirmed ping of her phone near I-55 and the Arkansas Weigh Station / Big River Crossings has been searched by ground and air (nothing found yet)
-the tips of a possible sighting of Marilane in South Haven, MS were investigated by law enforcement (nothing found)
-all leads are being followed-up on in real-time - no lead is insignificant
-today we shared video from the Quality Inn in West Plains, MO showing Marilane and her vehicle
-preparations are underway to search the river area near the Big River Crossings / bridge (more info coming soon on this)
-24 hour prayer has been established and we are asking God to reveal where Marilane is to us

Please pray God orchestrates a plan to bring Marilane to safety. Marilane's husband - Adam - their three kiddos - and the entire family feel your prayers and are encouraged by progress so far in the search.

We are letting law enforcement lead the investigation and follow-up on the leads you are bringing in. Call 9-1-1 if you spot her or have a helpful tip. If you have media questions, call (205) 390-1003. Use the hashtag #FindMarilane

Look for more updates tomorrow as we make more progress. We love you all.

I see here where it was stated the possible sighting of her in South Haven MS on Mon Aug 7 was investigated but nothing came from it.

Not outrageous but definitely odd. Usually spouses are in sync with their beliefs. He also knew she was troubled and yet didn’t protect her. How can you watch your troubled wife drive off knowing she may never come back? Such a shame.

We have literally no idea the kind of conversation that took place, the evening she left.
Maybe he did try and stop her?
Maybe she played it all down like she was fine?
How do we know he ever even suspected she'd never come back?
I do think that's a stretch, and I don't think it's okay to bash the husband here.
According to TOS, he's a victim, and this is a victim-friendly forum.

I agree it's a shame she's passed, but her husband had nothing to do with it, according to all we've read in MSM so far, anyway.

This may not be of importance, but I can’t help but to wonder where else she travelled or what else she did during her trip from Overland Park KS to West Memphis AR?

Sat Aug 1: left home in KC KS at 8:15pm

Sun Aug 2: at a hotel in West Plains MO from 3:37-6:08am

It takes anywhere from 4hrs 30 min-5hrs 30 min to get from KC to West Plains depending on route.
It took her over 7hrs.
kansas city ks to west plains mo - Google Search

Sun Aug 2: at a gas station in West Memphis AR around 5pm; phone last pinged around 8ish

It takes anywhere from 3hrs-3 1/2hrs to get from West Plains, Mo to West Memphis AR.
We don’t really know when she arrived in West Memphis do we? But it was 11 hours after leaving the hotel that she was spotted at the Shell station.

west plains mo to west memphis arkansas - Google Search

Kansas City KS to Birmingham AL is about 11 hours total if traveling I-22.
But by the time her phone last pinged around 8ish pm, 24 hours had passed.

kansas city ks to birmingham al - Google Search

Please check me on that; I am see those times correctly??

This may not be of importance, but I can’t help but to wonder where else she travelled or what else she did during her trip from Overland Park KS to West Memphis AR?

Sat Aug 1: left home in KC KS at 8:15pm

Sun Aug 2: at a hotel in West Plains MO from 3:37-6:08am

It takes anywhere from 4hrs 30 min-5hrs 30 min to get from KC to West Plains depending on route.
It took her over 7hrs.
kansas city ks to west plains mo - Google Search

Sun Aug 2: at a gas station in West Memphis AR around 5pm; phone last pinged around 8ish

It takes anywhere from 3hrs-3 1/2hrs to get from West Plains, Mo to West Memphis AR.
We don’t really know when she arrived in West Memphis do we? But it was 11 hours after leaving the hotel that she was spotted at the Shell station.

west plains mo to west memphis arkansas - Google Search

Kansas City KS to Birmingham AL is about 11 hours total if traveling I-22.
But by the time her phone last pinged around 8ish pm, 24 hours had passed.

kansas city ks to birmingham al - Google Search

Please check me on that; I am see those times correctly??

Her plates were not picked up on any plate readers, including crossing the river.

Here’s the link. I haven’t heard this either!

Multi-state search for missing Overland Park mom continues as family fears for her safety | FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF-TV | News, Weather, Sports

The mother of three and local pastor’s wife was last seen Monday. She left home on Saturday, saying she wanted to seek mental health treatment. The family believes she was heading for Grandview Medical Center in Birmingham where she once worked as a chaplain.

The family said she stayed overnight in West Plains, Missouri, according to her bank statement. On Sunday, they spoke with her for the last time. They said she seemed confused and disoriented.

Since then, she was seen at a gas station in West Memphis, Arkansas, on Sunday and on Monday at another gas station in Southhaven, Mississippi. Officer John Lacy with the Overland Park Police Department said they’re waiting for more information.
It’s my understanding there’s a person that assisted her, that she needed gas in that area and aided her in giving her about $10-20 of gasoline, and she proceeded,” Lacy said.

The reason you haven't heard about it is because of further investigation revealing that it was not her. The link to this info is posted further back somewhere on these threads. She never crossed the river. The plate readers didn't catch her plates. There is only one way to cross there and it is across the Mississippi River bridge connecting Arkansas to Mississippi.

I feel this sweet lady was in distress; she was going through something and we don’t know exactly what it was. We don’t know the whole story or everything that led up to her leaving home that night. But whatever was going on in her life was of importance, especially to her. What led her to those containers whether on purpose or accident, what her intentions were once there (incidental or accidental), is pretty much unknown to us right now. We have what LE, family, and media have shared. Based on the facts/evidence shared, it is believed her COD was suicide. IMO, unless LE gives us reason to believe otherwise like info on the husband or a POI turns up, then suicide is what we should accept as COD at this time.
It ultimately comes down to this beautiful woman/mama/wife who left this earth way too soon if you ask any of her loved ones. ❤️

The reason you haven't heard about it is because of further investigation revealing that it was not her. The link to this info is posted further back somewhere on these threads. She never crossed the river. The plate readers didn't catch her plates. There is only one way to cross there and it is across the Mississippi River bridge connecting Arkansas to Mississippi.
Thanks for sharing. I posted where a WS member shared the link where LE disproved that “lead”.

As I said to begin with the distinction between suicide and accidental death in a person during a psychological break can be meaningless and ultimately, it's something the people who loved her have to come to terms with for themselves one way or another.

I'm sure that the police's initial statement of it appearing to be suicide is as simple as "secluded person in a natural position with no injuries = suicide" and/or "carbon monoxide poisoning = suicide". That particular police department is just less careful with their wording than some others. Police are used to having a certain license to be direct and (whether it's a good or bad thing) that being in the process of changing is a pretty new occurrence that hasn't necessarily filtered all the way down, if it ever will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahburhouse