KS KS - Megan Foglesong, 22, Alden, 25 Nov 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Annette Lawless

The shooting suspect tonight had been in a relationship with Megan Foglesong, a woman whom we've shared in our Missing in Kansas reports at KAKE-TV.

Now, I do want to note that David Madden has *NOT* been named a suspect in that case. The Kansas Bureau of Investigation has been rather quiet on her case, but it remains under investigation.

This winter, I met up with folks who put together a vigil for Megan's 25th birthday.

I've been speaking to those people and Megan's family tonight. They feel uneasy and fear for their safety. Understandable. I appreciate, though, that they've been so open and willing to communicate with us.

Since our report this February, I've had some strange tips. One came in the mail to me, Megan's family and the KBI. It was an anonymous letter, which pointed fingers at what happened to Megan. I've given the info to the KBI, but have kept the letter (they didn't ask for it.)

I'll be looking over it again and will share more on Good Morning Kansas Tuesday.

BBM
Wow, that's certainly interesting. I hate to hear that Megan's family is in fear. They've been through enough already. Hopefully, they get him into custody soon and it leads to finding Megan. MOO

State news: Rice County sheriff, undersheriff shot in related incidents
The KBI says two men have been found dead inside, but they have not publicly identified the men or the possible circumstances leading to their deaths.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms is sweeping the house as the investigation continues. Court documents say ATF agents had searched Madden's home earlier and found 24 metal pipe bombs and an unregistered AK-47 rifle. Madden was indicted on a federal charge of unlawful possession of a machine gun just last week. He is also a person of interest in the case of 21-year-old Megan Foglesong, who has been missing since 2015.

Update at 11:00 a.m. included :

At approximately 12:10 a.m., authorities located the body of David L. Madden inside the residence at 490 Avenue S. in Raymond, Kan. Also, found deceased in the home was Thomas T. Madden, 65, the father of the suspect, and owner of the home where the standoff occurred. No threat to the public exists any longer as a result of these shootings.

The investigation suggests that when Madden shot the Undersheriff, a female and a child accompanied him in the vehicle. Madden then fled the area and drove to his residence in Alden to retrieve guns and ammunition. He then went to his father’s home, where it is believed he fatally shot Thomas Madden prior to the Sheriff and deputy arriving. Then it is believed the female left the scene. A short time later, when the Sheriff arrived, which was at approximately 5:40 p.m., he was fired upon and shot in the leg.

They first located the body of Thomas Madden. Then, at approximately 12:10 a.m., authorities located the body of David Madden, which ended the standoff. It is suspected that David Madden died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

APR 30, 2019
Rice County suspect's death brings up questions about missing Kansas woman
[...]

KBI agents named David Madden as a suspect in the case.

JF said Madden was with her sister days before she disappeared.

And with Madden’s death, she may never know the truth.

[...]

She said there are mixed emotions in her tiny town, but she’s still praying for more answers.

“I still have hope that maybe they can find Megan,” she said.

Suspect in sheriff's shooting, father found dead
[...]

Madden had been under investigation in the disappearance of 22-year-old Megan Renee Foglesong, of Oneida, Illinois, who was last seen in Rice County in 2015. Former Rice County Undersheriff Brian Treaster told KAKE-TV in February that there have been six large searches for Foglesong and some small ones, too. He said previously that foul play was suspected, but didn't say why.

[...]

APR 30, 2019
Person of interest in Foglesong case found dead
[...]

“David Madden was my daughter’s boyfriend and I tried to warn people in Kansas — the people who knew him and investigators — that he was dangerous,” DF said Tuesday. “I don’t know what this means in terms of Megan — but I know he had a girlfriend and there was a child and I know they are safe.

“I know David Madden can’t hurt anyone else. That’s the only comfort I can take from this — but that is important.”

Madden was the on-again, off-again boyfriend of Megan Foglesong. The two lived together in Alden before she disappeared in late November or early December 2015.

During Tuesday’s press briefing, a KBI agent declined to say if Madden was connected in any way to the investigation of Megan’s disappearance.

But according to several news reports, Madden was named as “a person of interest” in the Foglesong case in numerous court documents from 2017.

A search warrant of his home in Alden was executed in February 2017.

The KBI took over the disappearance investigation in June 2016.

It was at that time law enforcement officials admitted they believed they would not find Megan Foglesong alive.

[...]

APR 30, 2019
KBI: Man who shot Rice County officers suspected in woman's 2015 disappearance
[...]

Tuesday, the KBI identified Madden as a suspect in the missing-person case involving Foglesong. Family members say she was living with Madden around the time she disappeared and they always suspected he was behind her disappearance.

Megan Foglesong's stepmother, DF, says she's hopeful someone will come forward with information now that Madden is dead. Tuesday, she spoke with Eyewitness News about the last time she spoke with Megan and how she was afraid of Madden.

[...]

She remembers the last time she spoke with Megan a little before Thanksgiving of 2015.

"And all she pretty much said was that she left (Madden's) house because she was frightened and she was staying with friends and was safe," Dawn says.

She later found out that Megan went back to Madden's home, then disappeared. Megan's 22nd birthday in January 2016 came and went without her family hearing from her.

[...]

"I just hope that somebody will speak up now, because they shouldn't be afraid to anymore," DF says. "And we're not going to stop looking, ever. That's the only thing I want is to find (Megan)."

Megan Foglesong's family lives in Illinois, but came to Kansas several times to search for her. They say Madden's father, Tom, gave them permission to search his property. The KBI hasn't commented on whether Madden's recent crimes are connected with Megan's disappearance.

My grandparents lived in Alden for 60 yrs, My parents lived in Raymond for yrs, I am 72 so they are all gone now but I spent a lot of time in both towns, I don't know how I missed this about Megan. I didn't learn about it til this all came up this week. My heart goes out to megans family. I would never have thought something like this could happen in little old Alden. Haven't been there in years an my grandparents house is gone, but I loved that little town.

MAY 2, 2019
Rice County undersheriff improving after shooting
[...]

"The investigation into the shootings in Sterling and Raymond has brought up questions related to the investigation into the 2015 disappearance of Megan Foglesong, the KBI said. "This missing person case remains open, and considerable efforts continue in an effort to solve the case. David Madden is suspected to have been involved in Foglesong’s disappearance."

An April shooting in Rice County, Kansas that left two law enforcement officers injured has sparked renewed interest in a 2015 missing person case. 37-year-old David Madden killed his father before turning the gun on himself after a standoff with police earlier this year. Madden’s girlfriend Megan Foglesong went missing between late November and early December of 2015 after returning to the small town of Alden, KS, where Madden was living at the time. Records show that despite being identified for years as a person of interest and later a suspect in Foglesong’s disappearance, Madden was charged only with unrelated crimes. Friends and relatives say the former Marine had abused, locked up, and kidnapped Foglesong before the then 21-year-old went missing. In one 911 call before her 2015 disappearance, a friend told a dispatcher that Madden had threatened to kill Foglesong.

Foglesong-Madden-PNG.png

April Shooting Renews Interest in Missing Person Case

NOV 25, 2019
911 call reveals 1st time missing woman allegedly taken by suspect

From the article:

[...]

Days after Megan Foglesong’s birthday, one of her friends told Dawn Foglesong that “her ex merked her out,” slang she learned stood for murder.

Starnes also grew concerned, especially after Madden told him, ‘No one will ever have to worry about her again.”’

[...]

The property at Madden’s childhood home, where the shooting spree ended after he shot the sheriff and killed his father and himself, has been repeatedly searched for Foglesong, especially an area where Madden had buried his dog, Rommel, along the Arkansas River.

Rommel’s grave has been dug up at least twice.

Dawn Foglesong said she dug up Rommel’s grave around summer 2016. She had the permission of Madden’s father, Thomas Madden, who was alive at the time.

[...]

The KBI dug up the grave again in October 2019, according to Madden’s sister, Julie Boeckman.

“We are willing to cooperate with the KBI and Megan’s family in any way possible,” Boeckman said in an email. “I have been in contact with Dawn, Megan’s stepmom, and told her she is always welcome to contact us and we would help them search the area any time.”

[...]

Rommel isn’t the only thing that Madden reportedly buried near the river on the family farm.

He allegedly buried guns along the river that were taken from the U.S. Marine Corps Base Camp LeJeune in North Carolina, where Madden was stationed while he was a Marine.

[...]

Former sheriff Steve Bundy told The Eagle the guns were recovered along the Arkansas River, near the family’s property.

They were buried in the sand.

[...]

Megan Renee Foglesong – The Charley Project

updated November 30, 2020; distinguishing characteristics updated.

• Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Blonde hair, green eyes. Foglesong has the following tattoos: a flower design on her left hip, a dream catcher on the outside of her left calf, a design on her left wrist of a black inked heart and infinity symbol hearts linked together and the words "thick" and "thin", and an infinity symbol on the right side of her upper chest; those tattoos are pictured with this case summary. She wears eyeglasses or contact lenses, and occasionally dyes her hair. She has a long scar on her right thigh; she was cut as a child and got nineteen stitches. She has also previously broken her arm and her ankle. Her navel and tongue are pierced, and her ears are pierced twice in the lobes and once in the cartilage.

We've only to find her -- but if whether we do or whether we don't, she belongs to the ages now. The only justice for Megan is to hold her in our thoughts, and to always remember.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxmia2020
Back