Reaction score
  • ricky_lynn_nelms_1.jpg

Nelms, circa 1988

• Missing Since02/01/1988
  • Missing FromWichita, Kansas
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • AgeUnknown
  • Height and Weight5'9, 115 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Brown hair.
Details of Disappearance
Nelms left his parents' Moulton, Alabama home in January 1988 and traveled to Wichita, Kansas with a friend to take a job as a roofer. His parents last had contact with him when he called home sometime in February 1988.

Nelms has never been heard from again. It wasn't unusual for him to be out of touch with his family for months at a time, so he wasn't reported missing until July 18 of that year.

Authorities have received tips that Nelms was murdered and his body buried in Wichita. His mother believes he's deceased. His case remains unsolved. Alabama police are investigating.
Investigating Agency
  • Lawrence County Sheriff’s Office 256-974-9291
Source Information
Ricky Lynn Nelms – The Charley Project

Ricky Nelms: Missing From Lawrence County Since 1988

• ricky_lynn_nelms_1.jpg
Nelms, circa 1988

• Missing Since02/01/1988
  • Missing FromWichita, Kansas
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • AgeUnknown
  • Height and Weight5'9, 115 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Brown hair.
Details of Disappearance
Nelms left his parents' Moulton, Alabama home in January 1988 and traveled to Wichita, Kansas with a friend to take a job as a roofer. His parents last had contact with him when he called home sometime in February 1988.

Nelms has never been heard from again. It wasn't unusual for him to be out of touch with his family for months at a time, so he wasn't reported missing until July 18 of that year.

Authorities have received tips that Nelms was murdered and his body buried in Wichita. His mother believes he's deceased. His case remains unsolved. Alabama police are investigating.
Investigating Agency
  • Lawrence County Sheriff’s Office 256-974-9291
Source Information
Ricky Lynn Nelms – The Charley Project

Ricky Nelms: Missing From Lawrence County Since 1988

On the Clip in the link Ricky Nelms: Missing From Lawrence County Since 1988
the detective said that one of the relatives of
Ricky's friend was arrested on unrelated murder charge . Ricky got into the car of his old friend, they both planned to go and work in Wichita Kansas and this was the last time that Ricky's mother saw Ricky.
From investigating of People who were familiar with Ricky The Rumor saying that Ricky is buried near Wichita.

I think his Friend should be investigated again, a deeper investigation.

I hope Ricky's family will finally get Closure and justice.

He left his victims to be found, though. Hiding one would seem out of character for him. IMO
For the BTK we "know," quietly upping his personal tally, as I wrote, would be out of character. But there's a field of thought which suggests that another, more secret, BTK lurks in the shadows of his dark shadows, and that his victims might number many more than ten.

From December 2023: New leads emerge in Ricky Nelms disappearance

“According to law enforcement, a potential link between Nelms' case and murder victim, Franklin Harrod Jr., known as Punkie, has emerged. Harrod disappeared in 1997 under suspicious circumstances, leading to the conviction of three individuals in connection with his murder, although Harrod's body was never recovered. Investigators stated that they received a tip earlier this year from someone claiming to have buried both Nelms and Harrod in close proximity to one another in a rural area of southern Butler County. This revelation has prompted the Butler County Sheriff’s Office (BCSO) to conduct extensive searches in the area, employing techniques such as Ground Penetrating Radar.”

JUN 4, 2024

Recently, Regina Davis, Nelms’ sister, joined in with 48 Now to share memories of her brother growing up, what she believes happened to him and urges anyone who has information about him to come forward.

“My ultimate goal at the end of this is I just want my brother. I want my brother’s body. I don’t care what it takes to get it, I just want a body that we can bury and put some closure to this. I just want him home,” Davis said. “Do it the right, respectable way and give him a proper burial.”

More at ‘I just want him home:’ Sister of Moulton man who disappeared in Kansas in 1988 speaks out

Now, investigators in Butler County, Kansas, one county to the east of Sedgwick, are offering a substantial reward for new information concerning Nelms’ possible whereabouts.

Butler County Sheriff Monty Hughey told KAKE News there is a substantial reward for any information leading to the remains of the two victims.
Anyone with information that could possibly lead to the location of Nelms and Harrod are asked to contact the Butler County Sheriff’s Office on Facebook Messenger, or to remain anonymous email crimetips@bucoks.com or call (316) 322-8817 or 866-484-5924.

At one point, Rickey told his family he would be going to court. The family still doesn't know the full story of this but believes it has to do with cars.

But a month went by, and Nelms' mom didn't hear from her 20-year-old son. She thought he might have been in jail, but she knew something was wrong.

June 25, 2024

EL DORADO, Kan. (KSNW) — The Butler County Sheriff’s Office has been searching an area in the southern portion of the county in connection to a missing persons case.

One of the tips they’re following up on involves Nelms’s body, which led investigators to search a hedgerow Tuesday in southern Butler County. The Sedgwick County Emergency Management K9 Search and Rescue Team is assisting in the search of the area.

“We’re not really pursuing any angle of prosecution for somebody that’s already been convicted,” Hopper said. “We’re just looking for the information to just tell us where the remains are so we can get them back to their loved ones.”

Casefile updated July 1 2024

• Age20 years old

Details of Disappearance​

Nelms left his parents' Moulton, Alabama home in January 1988 and traveled to Wichita, Kansas with a friend, Jerry Wayne Trussell, to take a job as a roofer.

His parents last had contact with him when he called home sometime in February 1988. He told them he was involved in some kind of court case; his family does not know the full story but they believe it involved cars. Nelms said he was going to go to court, and if he did not get sentenced to jail he was going to go home and take care of his young son.

Trussell is currently in prison serving 25 years to life for the murder of Franklin Harrod, a Kansas man who disappeared in 1997 and whose body has never been found. In 2023, Trussell began cooperating with the police and admitted to responsibility for burying both Harrod and Nelms.

Authorities are trying to find the bodies of both men. Trussell stated they were buried close by each other in a rural area in southern Butler County, Kansas.

Nelms's case remains unsolved.

Investigators have singled in on a property in Sedgwick County as they search for a man who has been missing for 36 years.

The Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office said Ricky Nelms was last seen in the area in 1988. The sheriff’s office said a tip led them to the location.

Investigators and cadaver K-9s are on the scene. The sheriff’s office said the dogs have shown interest in the area.
Screenshot 2024-07-15 at 5.07.00 PM-min.png

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli