KS, Two 14-year-old girls arrested in murder of Joanne Johnson (93).

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

GRT

Reaction score
This is too close to home and unbelievable. The murder was Sept 2-3 of 2023, so they could have been just 13 years old at the time. Not much information--except they were arrested--is available yet.
BUTLER COUNTY, Kan. (KAKE) - Two 14-year-old girls have been arrested in connection to the murder of 93-year-old Joanne Johnson.

The Kansas Bureau of Investigation said the two teens from Augusta are being held at separate juvenile detention centers pending formal charges.

Here's the poster from last year. How in the world does this sort of thing happen???

668c2497ae98f.image.png

could one of them possibly be her granddaughter or great-granddaughter? neighbour?

Reactions: GRT
could one of them possibly be her granddaughter or great-granddaughter? neighbour?
That was my first thought as well. But local news did a report yesterday, and toward the end, the reporter says the family did not know the girls.

It was over last year's Labor Day weekend. Now, I'm wondering if the girls were trying to burglarize the home and killed the woman as an aside.

8/16/24

“We have not identified a relationship between the accused female subjects and Joanne Johnson,” Underwood said. “We don’t believe any public tip or information helped to solve the case.”

8/16/24

The Kansas Bureau of Investigation, which did not identify the suspects at this time since they are minors, confirmed that two 14-year-old girls from the same town as the victim were arrested Thursday in a first-degree murder case and that they are jailed in different juvenile detention facilities. It’s not yet clear if they will be charged as adults, but if they are, the suspects would be named then.

State investigators did not say how they zeroed in on the teen suspects, whose arrests left the neighborhood shaken.

Augusta is a small town with a population of less than 10K, about 20 miles east of Wichita, KS.

It sounds like the girls live in Augusta.

From the above link...

Addressing the arrests of two Augusta teens in connection with Johnson’s death, Augusta Public Schools Superintendent Matt Ward issued the following message to families in the district:

“The district has been made aware of Augusta Public Safety Department’s announcement regarding an ongoing investigation involving two Augusta minors who are part of a current law enforcement investigation. While the school district is not involved in this investigation, we will cooperate fully with law enforcement if the need arises.

The girls were somehow able to keep their secret for nearly a year.

8/16/24

“We have not identified a relationship between the accused female subjects and Joanne Johnson,” Underwood said. “We don’t believe any public tip or information helped to solve the case.”

Two very dangerous little girls.

8/16/24

Joanne Johnson, 93, was found dead inside her home at 1711 Robbins St. in Augusta on Sept. 3. Authorities said at the time Johnson was killed sometime between Sept. 2 and Sept. 3.

455606499_925350356299305_1099300437882717173_n.jpg

455261451_925350396299301_3167499782015757543_n.jpg

The Kansas Bureau of Investigation says two 14-year-old female subjects from Augusta were arrested Thursday on suspicion of first-degree murder in connection to Johnson’s death.

The teens are being held in separate juvenile detention centers, and formal charges are pending.

The KBI says it is still an ongoing investigation.

Mrs. Johnson was the same age as my mum, also born in September. I can't imagine the loss for her family, friends, and community. :(
It's so shocking. Since it's been nearly a year, the girls were likely just 13. That's hard to even fathom. And, unfortunately, I think that's too young for them to be tried as adults.

It's so shocking. Since it's been nearly a year, the girls were likely just 13. That's hard to even fathom. And, unfortunately, I think that's too young for them to be tried as adults.
I think it depends on the state. I'm following 4 murders by juvenile ages 13-15 and all are being tried as adults. The most recent was in PA last week when 13 yr old stabbed his 10 yr old cousin in the head during a sleep over. So very tragic.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia
Back