Identified! KS - Wichita, Sedgwick Co, WhtMale 22-29, UP2434, in shallow grave, wrapped in towels, sheets & water bed pad, Oct'94 - Harold “James” Crawford

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

PonderingThings

Former member
Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/587umks.html
587UMKS.jpg
587UMKS1.jpg
587UMKS2.jpg
587UMKS3.jpg

* The victim was discovered on October 29, 1994 in Sedgwick County, Kansas
* Date of Death: He may have been buried for four to six months, putting his time of death between April and June, 1994
* Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 22-29 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5 - 6'0"
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Auburn to sandy colored hair. Small to medium build. Bone mass shows he was in good shape. He didn't have any broken bones.
* Dentals: Available; it does appear one of his front teeth had been pulled or removed at a young age and the two teeth had overlapped, but other than that there’s no cavities, no dental work whatsoever; he had nearly perfect teeth.
* Clothing: He was wearing a purple to lavender Bugle Boy shirt, khaki shorts, and was wrapped in bedding.
* DNA: Available

Case History
The victim was located by KG&E workers doing community service on October 29, 1994, west of the intersection of 47th Street South
and Hoover in Sedgwick County, Kansas.

[font=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][size=-1]http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1424dmmt.html[/size][/font]

587UMKS1.jpg
JReamer1.jpg
587UMKS3.jpg

John Doe on left, and right, John Reamer center

John Reamer
Missing since March 27, 1994 from Helena, Lewis And Clark County, Montana.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: November 16, 1968
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 25 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'11"; 180 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Native male. Brown hair. Brown eyes.
* Marks, Scars, Tattoos: Reamer is a member of the Makah Indian Nation. He has a tattoo that was an original design that his grandmother created for him and is significant to Reamer's Makah heritage. It is located on his upper right arm. It says "Makah Nation" around the native american logo and has two feathers hanging down his lower arm, past his elbow.
* Clothing: Unknown clothing description, possibly wearing a cowboy hat.
* Dentals: Available
* Medical Conditions: Bi-polar disorder. Drug & alcohol addiction & depression.
* Other: Fingerprints & DNA available

Possible Match?:
1. I feel Reamer resembles the sketch/reconstruction of John Doe
2. Reamer is Native, John Doe is white - DISCREPANCY. The reason I think this is still possible is because many Unidentified people are listed as White/Native.
3. Age and Height are a match
4. Hair color is listed as "brown" for Reamer. With native people its usually a deep brown. John Doe had Auburn to Sandy Colored hair. DISCREPANCY I'm wondering if John Doe's hair was lightened or if it was his natural color?
5. Reamer disappeared in March 1994. John Doe is estimated to have died in April-June 1994.
6. Reamer disappeared from Helena, Montana and John Doe was found in Sedgwick County, Kansas - According to google maps they are 1289 miles apart and about 22 hours. It appears to be a pretty direct route though - see link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=helena,+montana&daddr=sedgwick,+kansas&ll=42.228517,-104.677734&spn=13.819917,29.970703

**If John Reamer left on his own and was heading south, its possible he could have reached Kansas in the time period when John Doe is thought to have died.

[font=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][size=-1]http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/914dmca.html[/size][/font]
587UMKS.jpg
HNolan1.jpg
HNolan.jpg
587UMKS3.jpg

John Doe on left and right, Hugh in center (2)

Hugh Martin Nolan
Missing since April 20, 1994 from San Francisco, California.

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: May 6, 1971
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 21 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'10 - 6'0"; 160 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Dark brown hair; brown eyes. Pale complexion.
* Clothing: Last seen wearing a blue jeans jacket and black pants.
* Dentals: Not available
* Other: Nolan is an Irish citizen.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Nolan was last seen April 20, 1994 in San Francisco, California. He is a native of Blacklion Co Cavan, Ireland. In 1993 he went to New York where he spent 8 months. He then moved to San Francisco and lived in 1423 Girkham, Judah, San Francisco. On the 20 April 1994, he left his house and has never been seen since. He had just cashed a check in a downtown San Francisco Bank for $500. Friends described Nolan as despondent because he had been unable to find work. He left his resident alien card behind when he departed that day. His Irish Passport has never been located.

Possible Match?:
1. I feel Huge resembles the sketch the most, and some of the reconstruction of John Doe
2. Age and Height are a match
3. Hair color is listed as "dark brown" for Hugh. John Doe had Auburn to Sandy Colored hair. DISCREPANCY I'm wondering if John Doe's hair was lightened or if it was his natural color?
4. Hugh disappeared in April 1994. John Doe is estimated to have died in April-June 1994.
5. Hughr disappeared from San Francisco, California and John Doe was found in Sedgwick County, Kansas - According to google maps they are 1,765 mi (about 1 day 5 hours) apart. Could he have met someone and went to visit their State only to run into foul play?

[font=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][size=-1]http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1803dmks.html[/size][/font]

587UMKS.jpg
DLFagg.jpg
587UMKS1.jpg

John Doe on left and right, Daniel center

Daniel Lacy Fagg
Missing since the summer of 1994 from Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: October 21, 1956
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 38 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8"; 140 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; green or hazel eyes.
* Marks, Scars: Tattoo on right hand and finger; scar on right hand and wrist, right forearm and left finger.
* Medical: Has drug and alcohol problems.
* Dentals: Not Available
* Fingerprints: Available

Fagg was last seen in Wichita, Kansas in the summer of 1994.
Fagg became homeless in 1994. He told family her was going to prison and has not been heard from since. He had previously worked in the carnival circuit. No history is shown since 1994. He may be living in Texas under an assumed name.

Possible Match?:
1. I feel Daniel resembles the 2nd sketch the most, and some of the 1st sketch of John Doe
2. Height and Hair Color are a match
3. Age. Daniel is listed as 38 yrs old, John Doe is listed as 22-29. DISCREPANCY. Although Daniel looks young in the photo, could the age estimate on John Doe be that far off?
4. Daniel disappeared in "The summer of 1994". John Doe is estimated to have died in April-June 1994. Its possible. Also, although its not mentioned I believe Daniel has only been reported missing recently (although I could be wrong).
5. Daniel disappeared from Sedgwick County, which is the same county that John Doe was found in. If Daniel wasn't reported missing until some time later, its possible this is the reason a match wasn't made?

[font=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][size=-1]http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/940dmfl.html[/size][/font]
587UMKS1.jpg
ESPatchin.jpg
587UMKS3.jpg

John Doe on left and right, Erik center

Erik Sol Patchin
Missing since May 24, 1994 from Tallahassee, Leon County, Florida.

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: December 2, 1973
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'10"; 160 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; brown eyes.
* Scars: He has a scar on his right hand.
* Clothing: Black shirt, khaki green shorts and a bandana on his head.
* Aka: Domino, Frog

Erik Patchin was last seen by friends on May 24, 1994 at approximately 2:00 AM in Tallahassee.
His 1972 Silver Volkswagen Beetle was located later that day at the Jr. Food Store at US 27 South and Chaires Cross Road.
Erik Patchin lived in Lloyd, Fl. and it was common for him to be in that area. His vehicle did not appear to be tampered with.

***Erik is a perfect match to all stats, dates and the photos. The only difference is that Erik went missing from Tallahassee, Florida and John Doe was found in Kansas. According to google maps its 1,293 mi (about 23 hours 34 mins) apart. Is it possible he went willingly to Kansas? I don't know.

[font=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][size=-1]http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/859dmpa.html[/size][/font]

587UMKS1.jpg
AGarcia.jpg
587UMKS3.jpg

John Doe on left and right, Anthony in center

Anthony Garcia
Missing since March 20, 1994 from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: April 2, 1972
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 21 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8"; 147 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Black hair; brown eyes

Garcia left his residence on March 20, 1994 at 3:30 PM driving a 1987 Nissan 300ZX with Pennsylvania license plate AMK-6413. The vehicle was recovered in Philadelphia on March 25, 1994 in the 1400 block of W. Jefferson Street. Garcia is known to frequent South Philadelphia and Wildwood, New Jersey.

Possible Match?:
1. I feel Anthony has *some* resemblence to the sketches of John Doe but am not completely convinced. The nose bridge is too wide.
2. Age and Height are a match
3. Hair color is listed as "black" for Anthony. John Doe had Auburn to Sandy Colored hair. DISCREPANCY I'm wondering if John Doe's hair was lightened or if it was his natural color?
4. Anthony disappeared in March 1994. John Doe is estimated to have died in April-June 1994.
5. Anthony disappeared from Philadelphia, PA and John Doe was found in Sedgwick County, Kansas - According to google maps they are 1,340 mi (about 1 day) apart. Could he have met someone and went to visit their State only to run into foul play?

[font=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][size=-1]http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/363dmil.html[/size][/font]
587UMKS.jpg
JKimball.jpg
587UMKS3.jpg

John Doe on left and right, James in center

James Donald Kimball
Missing since April 13, 1993 from Oak Park, Cook County, Illinois.
Classification: Involuntary

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: December 28, 1968
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 24 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7"; 165 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; blue eyes.
* Marks, Scars: He has horizontal red marks on his back.
* Clothing: Kimball was wearing a short-sleeved red shirt, black pants and brown shoes at the time of his disappearance.
* Medical Conditions: He has been diagnosed as manic-depressive

Kimball was hospitalized and diagnosed with schizo-affective disorder in 1985. He had several relapses and recoveries throughout the years.
Kimball visited his family's home during Easter weekend in April 1993. He became angry when technical problems developed with the family's stereo system on April 13. One of Kimball's brothers asked him if he wanted to go to the hospital after an angry outburst on Kimball's part. Kimball declined and said he was going to take a walk. He never returned to the house and has not been heard from again. The family believes Kimball may have stopped taking his medication prior to his disappearance. They learned after he disappeared that he stopped going to his job.
Kimball may have been seen outside of South Bend, Indiana in March 1994, but that has not been confirmed.

***Possible match?

All the stats match, except for how dark James's hair was (I don't know). He looks like the photo. John Doe was found approximately 12 hours from where James first disappeared from. James had disappeared almost a year before John Doe is estimated to have died. Could he have travelled to Kansas?

There were quite a few more that resembled the sketch/reconstruction but the stats didn't fit for one, or more reasons.

I've emailed the cold case people, specifically mentioning Erik Sol Patchin. I included a link to this thread so the authorities can see the other possible suggested matches.

Wow, Ryder97, that's excellent! What a great idea to post videos of cases on YouTube. How were you able to get access to the crime scene photos?

Last year I met the detective in charge of this case at a Doenetwork conference in Missouri. Wonderful guy! He has been trying to get this guy identified and has had no luck so I came up with this idea after doing the video for Deanie Peters who has been missing since 1981. After I sent him Deanie's video he wanted one done and was willing to give me most photo's to draw attention to the UID's case and hopefully get someone to come forward with information. I also know another detective that is willing to send me pictures to have his UID featured in a video also. I think it really brings a different perspective to the missing and unidentified. Whatever the attention as long as someone comes forward with information will be good.

I will tell you that I was contacted by a woman who viewed this video regarding her nephew that went missing after a falling out with his family. She felt this could be her nephew and didn't know what to do because her family never reported him missing fearing that they would have to pay restitution to the state for burial. Because they are poor she didn't report him missing (sad but true). The last his mother heard from her son was that he was in Kansas with a girlfriend and he was going to be heading home soon. After I sent the detective the Aunts information he was able to confirm for her that in fact her nephew was alive and well and living in Iowa.

At least some good news has come from this video for a family. Now lets try to give some closure to another.

This guy just showed up in NamUs and looks like a reasonably close possible to the Sedgwick John Doe.

John Lee Krafft III
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/12894/26

2641105830045078242_zpscdfaabda.jpg
587UMKS3.jpg

Height: 5'11" to 6'0" (within UID estimate: 5'5 - 6'0")
DLC: 02-Nov-1992 (Nearly two years before UID discovered - UID's Estimated DOD Apr-Jun 1994)
Hair: Auburn to Sandy Color - Just as described of the UID
Distance: His hometown of Hutchinson KS is less than 40 miles from Sedgwick.
Resemblance: Very similar long and narrow facial shape.

UID Links:
DoeNet: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/587umks.html
NamUs: https://identifyus.org/cases/2434

ETA: Submitted by e-mail to Branch Ocampo and Judy Ashbaugh

This guy just showed up in NamUs and looks like a reasonably close possible to the Sedgwick John Doe.

John Lee Krafft III
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/12894/26

2641105830045078242_zpscdfaabda.jpg
587UMKS3.jpg

Height: 5'11" to 6'0" (within UID estimate: 5'5 - 6'0")
DLC: 02-Nov-1992 (Nearly two years before UID discovered - UID's Estimated DOD Apr-Jun 1994)
Hair: Auburn to Sandy Color - Just as described of the UID
Distance: His hometown of Hutchinson KS is less than 40 miles from Sedgwick.
Resemblance: Very similar long and narrow facial shape.

UID Links:
DoeNet: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/587umks.html
NamUs: https://identifyus.org/cases/2434

ETA: Submitted by e-mail to Branch Ocampo and Judy Ashbaugh

I didn't get a reply on the two e-mails sent, so I contacted the detective at the Sedgwick County Sheriff's Office. (Sgt. Myers, the listed contact in DoeNet, is no longer there). He said he would look into it this afternoon.

No ruleouts as of 28 Aug 2016. No wonder it's listed as extremely low probability of identification.

Wrapped in towels, bedsheets and "waterbed pad," per NamUs. Who used a waterbed in 1994?

Wonder what became of the above contact with Sedgwick County, if anything was ever done.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova
Back