Found Safe KY - Charlee Campbell, 2, *autistic* & Pitbull Terrier Named Penny, Bullitt County, 7 Jun 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
WAVE : Charlee Campbell: Endangering charge dropped against grandmother of girl who disappeared

Beth Campbell was charged with endangering the welfare of a minor two weeks ago. The case against her was dropped Thursday because the girl was eventually found safe.

Beth Campbell was not in court to hear the ruling because she is currently at a rehab facility in Florida

Wait, it was dropped because she was found safe? Forget that she was lost in the woods and took a ton of manpower to find? I know of a couple currently in Connecticut who traveled to sell their travel trailer to someone/a friend. Their 2 yo got out early in the morning before the others and walked to a neighbors house next door. CPS has taken all their children away from them currently. So they are out of state and their kids are not in their custody and they are having to hire two lawyers to get them back and their child was not hurt and was also found immediately. How did this grandmother NOT endanger the welfare of a minor when she used meth and the child "disappeared" for over a day?

WAVE : Charlee Campbell: Endangering charge dropped against grandmother of girl who disappeared

Beth Campbell was charged with endangering the welfare of a minor two weeks ago. The case against her was dropped Thursday because the girl was eventually found safe.

Beth Campbell was not in court to hear the ruling because she is currently at a rehab facility in Florida

So did they give custody back to her grandfather? At least he seems like the responsible one out of the family but who is going to be watching Charlee when he has to go to work?

ETA: I see the above article really doesn't address where Charlee is living, just that the endangerment charge was dropped. Perhaps Beth going to Rehab was part of a plea deal? I hope Charlee is in a safe home and is monitored carefully in the future so this doesn't happen again.

Wait, it was dropped because she was found safe? Forget that she was lost in the woods and took a ton of manpower to find? I know of a couple currently in Connecticut who traveled to sell their travel trailer to someone/a friend. Their 2 yo got out early in the morning before the others and walked to a neighbors house next door. CPS has taken all their children away from them currently. So they are out of state and their kids are not in their custody and they are having to hire two lawyers to get them back and their child was not hurt and was also found immediately. How did this grandmother NOT endanger the welfare of a minor when she used meth and the child "disappeared" for over a day?
I imagine the prosecutor asked himself/herself what the best outcome of this would be? The answer is probably that grandma beats her drug addiction. What is the best way to accomplish this? Perhaps rehab but I really don't know. I trust that the prosecutor is doing what they believe is in the best interest of everyone.

I imagine the prosecutor asked himself/herself what the best outcome of this would be? The answer is probably that grandma beats her drug addiction. What is the best way to accomplish this? Perhaps rehab but I really don't know. I trust that the prosecutor is doing what they believe is in the best interest of everyone.

Grandma previously "beat" her drug addiction. She had lots of things on her FB wall about beating it and all that was required was the choice to NOT use drugs. Grandma going through rehab, likely again, doesn't change the fact that she used Meth while watching her toddler granddaughter and did indeed endanger her life and she's lucky she's not dead. She's already relapsed and endangered her life.

I think meth and other drug users are quite frankly given too many chances. It's a common theme in almost all these threads of hurt and dead children. Drug use. I think once some serious harm comes to a child due to a caregivers drug use (and I consider lost in the woods for a day serious harm) they never get custody again and that includes living in a home with someone else's kids. End of chances. Kids spend years in foster care because of these horrible parents getting too many chances to try and get their kids back.

The kids spend years being traumatized before they are eligible for adoption and then most people quite frankly aren't up to or qualified to deal with kids like that and don't adopt them. Because kids don't just recover from years of being shuffled around with no healthy attachments. The kids just don't deserve to have their lives destroyed because their parents chose meth over them.

It's not that hard to have kids and not use drugs.

I know someone who used meth through her first 3 pregnancies. Somehow keeping custody of all of them.

Then they were finally removed and went to live with her sisters. Her sisters are both married, stable, successful. They raised these kids for a couple of years while Mom got clean.

Mom met a fellow addict, had a baby with him (sober through that one) and got married.

Then Mom gets pregnant with #5. Mom's brother dies (from damage caused by drug use), they become homeless and live in a tent with the kids and both parents relapse. While she's pregnant.

The first 4 are finally taken away during the pregnancy. One sister takes the oldest the other takes the middle 3, just like before. The 5th arrives and ends up with her oldest brother.... in the home of the sister who's lost multiple babies due to genetic issues.

They are now in the process of reuniting again... within the next few months.

I WISH she would just let her sisters adopt the children with the ability to visit whenever she wants. It's infuriating what she's putting her kids AND sisters through.

I'm very empathetic to addiction.... but once you involve kids I just have a hard time being sympathetic.

I hope Charlee stays with someone sober who will take care of her.

Grandma previously "beat" her drug addiction. She had lots of things on her FB wall about beating it and all that was required was the choice to NOT use drugs. Grandma going through rehab, likely again, doesn't change the fact that she used Meth while watching her toddler granddaughter and did indeed endanger her life and she's lucky she's not dead. She's already relapsed and endangered her life.

I think meth and other drug users are quite frankly given too many chances. It's a common theme in almost all these threads of hurt and dead children. Drug use. I think once some serious harm comes to a child due to a caregivers drug use (and I consider lost in the woods for a day serious harm) they never get custody again and that includes living in a home with someone else's kids. End of chances. Kids spend years in foster care because of these horrible parents getting too many chances to try and get their kids back.

The kids spend years being traumatized before they are eligible for adoption and then most people quite frankly aren't up to or qualified to deal with kids like that and don't adopt them. Because kids don't just recover from years of being shuffled around with no healthy attachments. The kids just don't deserve to have their lives destroyed because their parents chose meth over them.

It's not that hard to have kids and not use drugs.

So you prosecute her for child endangerment and she gets a fine and probation. What have you accomplished except satisfy yourself? Is that really better than trying to get her help. Do we really need to seek vengeance against everyone?

So you prosecute her for child endangerment and she gets a fine and probation. What have you accomplished except satisfy yourself? Is that really better than trying to get her help. Do we really need to seek vengeance against everyone?

I was going to say...It looks like something worked because she is getting help in rehab. For some people quitting drugs is not as simple as it seems. Sometimes one time in rehab isn’t enough. I hope this time it sticks, but drug addiction is an every day battle and a disease. I hope she’s learned her lesson and gets help quicker this time if she starts to stumble again.

Glad To hear Grandma is in rehab again. I hope because of her consequences this time she really embraces sobriety and cleanliness. Not everyone who goes to rehab "gets it" the first time. Some not even the second time. Some never, they will always relapse. But a lot do eventually "get it".

But Grandma has a chance now to get on the right path and be the Grandma Charlee needs. I wish Grandma success.

There's many ways to say it, but this paragraph from an article in Psychology Today (2012) is short and sweet:

By now, the research is clear: Addiction is a chronic brain disease, not a matter of willpower. This means that, contrary to old stereotypes, people who become addicted to drugs or alcohol are not weak, immoral or tragically flawed.

Charges refiled against grandmother of toddler who went missing in June
Charges have been refiled against the grandmother of Bullitt County toddler who went missing for over a day. The charges allege the woman admitted to using meth when she was supposed to be watching the child.
Campbell was previously charged in the case, but her charges were dismissed after her attorney argued law enforcement did not witness her doing any drugs.

Campbell will be arraigned in Bullitt District Court on September 10, according to WDRB.

Charlie had gone missing before while in grandmother's care. She's with other family now. I'm glad grandmother is trying to get clean but I have to say it's scary to think a grandmother would be so messed up from drugs that a child's life becomes endangered on at least two occasions.

I've always seen grandparents as the safe harbor for little ones whose parents but I guess that's not true. It's sad, scary, frustrating and infuriating all at once. Sigh, I wish drugs caused infertility.
Charlee Campbell's disappearance from her Bullitt County home wasn't the first time the toddler left while under her grandmother's care, according to a witness interviewed by the Bullitt County Sheriff's Office.
The witness interviewed by the sheriff's office said Campbell has "failed to keep the child from walking out of the home during an incident previous to the one described above."
Grandma has lost track of Bullitt County toddler before, court docs say

Hmmm.....I wonder if she agreed to complete a drug treatment program in order to have charges dropped, but then did not finish the treatment and that is why they are refiling? While I agree that addiction is a disease and needs to be treated, I also don't think that giving Charlee back to granny meth should ever be on the table as an option again. I believe in situations like this, where the child has been failed by so many different levels of family, adoption by a family without a long list of drug abuse and neglect should be ordered. These kids deserve a chance to grow up without being exposed and desensitized to drug use and whatever the heck else they have going on in their blood families. Even an open adoption where the family can still communicate but have no alone time/responsibility for her would be better IMO. Breaking the cycle isn't easy if they stay in the same bad circumstances and those who put them in the bad circumstances to begin with aren't held responsible in a big way.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeSpice
Back