KY KY - Claude Shelton, 37, & Martha “Sue” Shelton, 27, Corbin, 1971

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Family and friends were interviewed, all of which said that Martha and Claude would have never left their children unattended, so the entire trip was completely out of character for the couple.

It sounds like it would've had to have been something more compelling than grabbing a bite to eat to get them out of the house and leave their kids alone.

$600 would buy a very nice used car in 1971.

But, at 2:00 AM?

Just throwing this out there,

But I can't see a family being at home for the night with kids in the house, to drive five miles away for a bite to eat. Unless there were no other restaurants in the area of the Sheldon's trailer park home in 1971?

Maybe surprising the kids with a "new" (used) car? But no car dealers are going to be open at 2am. That is, if their daughter Shelia had the right time with Claude asking Sue if she was going to go with him or stay home.

A present day map of Corbin, Kentucky:
Map of Corbin Kentucky - Google Search

Here is a list of restaurants in Corbin, Kentucky: (present day.)
restaurants in corbin kentucky - Google Search

The date in some accounts conflicts as either May 21, 1971 or May 28, 1971,

The one article that says that Sue's paycheck and purse were left behind. I mean no woman goes anywhere without her purse. So it would seem like they planned to return home. But why take the $600? I would love to ask any relatives of the family, for what reason was this money being saved?

It seems that there are lakes in the area. But I am convinced that the couple knew the area and its surrounding locations:

What do you think about them either experiencing the following:

1.) They had car trouble, and flagged down a passing motorist, who was evil, killed them, and rolled their car and bodies into the lake?
2.) They were good seminarians, and offered a ride to somebody who was evil and killed them (a hitchhiker?) (same outcome as #1) Bodies and car are in a lake.
3.) I think leaving your kids in the middle of the night, to drive five miles down the road for a bite to eat is desertion. Maybe people thought differently back in 1971. But if this happened today, it would be desertion. It's not like they were out of milk, bread, or toiletries and went to someplace, like a local market next door.

Investigators should drain the lake. Can that be done?

Satch

Just a couple of things, Satch.
-I don't go anywhere without my purse, except maybe the mailbox across the street from my house. I dropped off & picked up my husband's truck with him yesterday, and he made fun of me both ways for insisting I bring the purse, since I didn't need it, or so he thinks, LOL. I get not everyone is attached to their purses/handbags/pocketbooks, but I think the majority of us wouldn't go somewhere like a restaurant for a bite to eat without it. Why? Because my husband sometimes forgets his wallet.
-They could have been buying a car from a private sale, possibly from someone they met at the gathering they'd been to earlier? I wonder if there's anyway to confirm if they'd been planning on buying another vehicle or if this could have been a spur of the moment thing?
-When I checked the map, I didn't see any real close by bodies of water, except for one. How far away were the ones you found? How I defined close in my search was one that could possibly be within their travel to the destination and right around the area, but I didn't measure the distance, only looked around the area.

They could have been buying a car from a private sale, possibly from someone they met at the gathering they'd been to earlier? I wonder if there's anyway to confirm if they'd been planning on buying another vehicle or if this could have been a spur of the moment thing?
-When I checked the map, I didn't see any real close by bodies of water, except for one. How far away were the ones you found? How I defined close in my search was one that could possibly be within their travel to the destination and right around the area, but I didn't measure the distance, only looked around the area.

Buying the car would explain the $600 missing. Maybe the 2AM time was wrong, this was only the one report that I have seen that mentions the time. What we NEED to know is, anything said by Sue and Claude at the gathering to help possibly explain their actions later that night? No banks would be open at that time, so Sue would not have been able to cash her paycheck that night.

I am not familiar with bodes of water in the area. This was just a simple Google search to get a map of Corbin, Kentucky and restaurants in the area. (But see the new link and quote that I just found below as of this writing!)

We also need to know the environmental conditions and behavior patterns of Claude and Sue. Maybe they weren't the most "Street Smart" people, and felt it was OK to leave their kids in the middle of the night to do things. I mean, if you grew up in that time period, could you see the logic or reasoning for that? I can't at all! Had they done this kind of thing before? In May of 1971, most kids had school. Why not wait for a regular morning or afternoon when the kids are at school to buy a car, and surprise them with the car? IF, the Shelton's left in the middle of the night to buy a car?

The million dollar question in this case. What was so critically important to them that they had to leave their kids in the middle of the night? If they drove five miles out of the way just to get "a bite to eat late at night" that's just weird.

Quote from article: "The Town of Corbin is located next to the Daniel Boone National Forest with hundreds of thousands of acres of forest and water. This includes the Laurel River Lake, where between 1964 and 1974, an 86-meter-high hydroelectric dam was being constructed. Is that their final resting place?"

Satch

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting find in the article. I will have to check out the geography again.

I grew up in the 70s, my mum was single and we were broke. Even with our circumstances and her lifestyle, she would have never, ever left us alone. Neither would her friends, who were in even more dire straits than us and not as savvy (my mum was intelligent, but didn't seek a college education, and was a bit naive). One of the articles on this thread also states that friends said it would be out of character for them to leave their children alone. So, I agree. Something compelling had to have drawn them away for them to leave their children like that. I don't think it was hunger. But I have to say, when I was single, we had a diner we'd all go to (a lot) after barhopping that served breakfast 24/7.
Also, I missed the part where they were going to buy the car. Where was that info discovered? Still, buying a car at 2 am doesn't make sense, really, even from a private sale.
I wonder how extensively they interviewed the folks who were at the gathering, if at all. Does anyone know? My guess is whatever drew them out of the house occurred at that event. Their departure sounds spur of the moment (no sitter), hasty (leaves purse) and compelling (they felt they had to go right now). What would make someone do that? Fear, someone waiting outside for them come to mind, but definitely not a food run or buying a car, IMHO.

Went back over the thread.
@Satch, there are news articles answering some of your questions, I think.
Also, those articles mention extensive aerial and ground searches, but doesn't say where they searched that I could find.
Laurel River lake has also been mentioned on this thread as a possible place they could have ended up.
OT: I also looked at some pictures of the Daniel Boone National Forest. Lovely! I would love to visit.

Went back over the thread.
@Satch, there are news articles answering some of your questions, I think.
Also, those articles mention extensive aerial and ground searches, but doesn't say where they searched that I could find.
Laurel River lake has also been mentioned on this thread as a possible place they could have ended up.
OT: I also looked at some pictures of the Daniel Boone National Forest. Lovely! I would love to visit.
Interesting find in the article. I will have to check out the geography again.

I grew up in the 70s, my mum was single and we were broke. Even with our circumstances and her lifestyle, she would have never, ever left us alone. Neither would her friends, who were in even more dire straits than us and not as savvy (my mum was intelligent, but didn't seek a college education, and was a bit naive). One of the articles on this thread also states that friends said it would be out of character for them to leave their children alone. So, I agree. Something compelling had to have drawn them away for them to leave their children like that. I don't think it was hunger. But I have to say, when I was single, we had a diner we'd all go to (a lot) after barhopping that served breakfast 24/7.
Also, I missed the part where they were going to buy the car. Where was that info discovered? Still, buying a car at 2 am doesn't make sense, really, even from a private sale.
I wonder how extensively they interviewed the folks who were at the gathering, if at all. Does anyone know? My guess is whatever drew them out of the house occurred at that event. Their departure sounds spur of the moment (no sitter), hasty (leaves purse) and compelling (they felt they had to go right now). What would make someone do that? Fear, someone waiting outside for them come to mind, but definitely not a food run or buying a car, IMHO.

Hi!

No evidence that they were going to buy a car. A poster just mentioned that $600 could buy a nice used car in 1971. We were trying to figure out why the money jar in the kitchen with the $600 went missing. Yes, talking to the people at the gathering would be a HUGE step. There had to be something at the gathering that brought about them leaving in the middle of the night, and found it so urgent that they left their kids behind.

Maybe they lied to the kids about going to the King's Truck Stop, because money was owned, and there could have been a bad business deal, a loan shark. They could have been ORDERED to take that $600 as payment for the debt. And that journey many have been more than five miles to a truck stop. Maybe they weren't going to any restaurant. Maybe somebody threatened them, and they had to leave without the kids so as not to bring the kids into a horrifying situation. The deal went wrong, and the couple died.

How much would $600 buy in the drug culture in 1971? Smoking grass was huge than, and maybe Claude and Sue did recreational drugs? I mean, who hadn't heard or likely used recreational drugs in the late 60's-early 70's. That would make the lie of, "We're going to "King's to get something to eat." fit with the fact that they didn't want the kids to know where they were really going. I wonder if LE pursued this line of thinking?

Satch

Hi!

No evidence that they were going to buy a car. A poster just mentioned that $600 could buy a nice used car in 1971. We were trying to figure out why the money jar in the kitchen with the $600 went missing. Yes, talking to the people at the gathering would be a HUGE step. There had to be something at the gathering that brought about them leaving in the middle of the night, and found it so urgent that they left their kids behind.

Maybe they lied to the kids about going to the King's Truck Stop, because money was owned, and there could have been a bad business deal, a loan shark. They could have been ORDERED to take that $600 as payment for the debt. And that journey many have been more than five miles to a truck stop. Maybe they weren't going to any restaurant. Maybe somebody threatened them, and they had to leave without the kids so as not to bring the kids into a horrifying situation. The deal went wrong, and the couple died.

How much would $600 buy in the drug culture in 1971? Smoking grass was huge than, and maybe Claude and Sue did recreational drugs? I mean, who hadn't heard or likely used recreational drugs in the late 60's-early 70's. That would make the lie of, "We're going to "King's to get something to eat." fit with the fact that they didn't want the kids to know where they were really going. I wonder if LE pursued this line of thinking?

Satch

We all assume there was indeed 600 dollar in the jar, this is from one of the children. Oldest daughter IIRR. Did she check it all the time? Did her parents told her? Was still all of it left, when the couple took the money out and went missing. Where were the savings for? I know we have to work with this info, but I just wonder. Also the "quick bite story" does feel like an excuse and not the truth persé. Why the question are you coming with me or stay here? Was just one of them hungry?

Sorry edited and added a couple of times.

Last edited:
In one of the articles, it was a toss up between the $600 being taken out of the jar by Sue and Claude for their trip and possibly being taken by someone else after they went missing. It sounds like investigators aren't sure what happened to the money.

Updates , Tidbits, and Inconsistencies:

The Shelton's had three kids, Shelia, Ronnie and Debbie. (Shelia was the oldest at 10. the others were about a year or two apart.)

Based on the actual newspapers that I have seen on the case, the correct date is May 28, 1971, not May 21, 1971.

Some accounts call the oldest daughter Sherri and make her 11 instead of 10.

As stated above, some accounts say that the $600 vanished the same time Claude and Sue did. Others say that it was found missing later.

Since Sue left without her purse, I personally believe that the parents assumed they would be back quickly.

One newspaper article says a family friend found the kids without food the afternoon of the incident.

Some accounts say that the police took the kids to their grandmothers' in Tennessee shortly after, Others say that the kids stayed with family friends for about a week in order to finish the school year. I believe the latter. It is known for certain that the children were raised by their grandmother.

According to map sources, three of the four routes that the Sheldon's could have taken to "King's Truck Stop" had bodies of water in the vicinity. Could they have swerved to avoid colliding with a speeding car, and wound up in the lake? Why weren't the lakes searched back then? Or would that be too much of an exhaustive effort?

Family gatherings ALWAYS have food, from appetizers to full meals. The Shelton's were visiting Claude's parents that evening. Let's say it was a 4-8pm thing. The food served there, unless it was just small appetizers would probably hold them over til morning. Families, especially in the South, who have parties and socials, food is a HUGE part of family gatherings. You don't go that far away for food (5 miles out.) once you are already home. Low on food in the house? You go to the store when it opens in the morning . Best case, you eat a sandwich when you get home, and go to bed until morning,

Guys, I am seriously doubting the going to King's Truck Stop being told to the kids more and more. I am getting to the point where I don't even think that part of the story is true. What about the rest of you?
Percentage wise, what do you believe happened to Claude and Sue Shelton? My thoughts:

50% They are in a lake due to an accident.
40% They were conned by a passing motorist for help or picked up a hitchhiker who killed them, bodies could still be in a lake. Or some drug deal gone bad, IF they took the $600 with them.
10% They decided to abandon their kids and home.

If the car and their bodies are in the lake, how long would it take the car to sink? For the lake to be searched?

Satch

Last edited:
The story combined with the timeline seems off. I agree with you Satch, it's hard to believe they went out for a quick bite at 2 am (if this was the time they left), let alone buying a car (as an example). According to the Doe Network "The Shelton's presumably left in their vehicle, a white 1967 Ford Galaxie 500. None of the employees at King's remember seeing them".

@Satch
I was thinking the same thing about the food BUT how long had they been home b4 they headed back out? I've never been able to ascertain if they got home late, put the kids to bed, and headed right back out OR had they been home for hours b4 taking off. IMHO, it sounds like they first one.
I'd like to know where investigators came up with running out to grab a bite to eat when the last words the daughter heard was Claude asking Sue if she wanted to go.
I wonder if that were just supposition for lack of any other reason for leaving.
They were at Claude's parent's house in Williamsburg, which is about a half hour away, so I'm not certain if it were a large gathering or a just stopping in to see the parents to say hello kind of visit.
I also think it was Memorial Day weekend. Oddly, observance of what day Memorial Day was observed changed that year. It used to be May 3oth, but in 1971, it was changed to the last Monday of May.
I also think it was meant to be a quick errand, whatever it was, based on the facts that they would not normally leave their kids alone (according to those who knew them) and Sue left her purse behind. It doesn't appear they were planning on being gone long.

I researched underwater searches a bit a couple of years ago. They're very expensive, even today. Per the news articles, there was extensive aerial and grounds searches for the Sheltons, but I couldn't find what areas were searched. I believe the military was also involved in these searches.

I researched underwater searches a bit a couple of years ago. They're very expensive, even today. Per the news articles, there was extensive aerial and grounds searches for the Sheltons, but I couldn't find what areas were searched. I believe the military was also involved in these searches.

Did they use cadaver dogs? They can find the smell of death in water, even quite deep water. On second thought it was '71....training those dogs is so much advanced these days.....Have to ask Signi dogs (Dutch, very professional cadaver dog "club" who helped finding many bodies) if after that many years dogs are still able to smell it.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denie67
Back