KY KY - Edward Leroy Nichols, 22, Union, 3 Dec 1974

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I’m thinking it sounds like he lost a second pair of socks. Possibly the ones he has just purchased for hunting. Or maybe he had changed them out with the new pair and had placed the old ones in a pocket.

’We believe we know who killed him:’ Investigators inching closer to solving 46-year-old murder

C7GNPHBQGJCGJGJ2EZUCM2QAHA.jpg

More than 45 years after a Boone County man vanished, detectives are calling it murder as they follow new leads that could crack the case wide open.
---
The 22-year-old was last seen on the morning of Dec. 3, 1974, when he left his Florence home to go hunting with another man. The two stopped at a convenience store, according to investigators, and then headed to a wooded area not far from Big Bone Lick State Park.
---
The young man came from a large family and had seven siblings who loved him and still miss him to this day.
---
There have been a number of theories that have developed over the years. Eventually, the missing person case turned into a murder investigation, although Nichols’ body has never been found.
---
More than four decades later, Boone County Detective Coy Cox says he and his partner are digging into some new leads. In the coming weeks, he says they will be interviewing more people and searching for Nichols’ remains again.

“In about an eight-mile radius, we’ve searched a lot of property,” Cox said.

Cox says they have looked into possible connections to local farms, including one where Nichols partied with friends in the ‘70s. They are also investigating a confession letter from an inmate.
---
One possible motive, according to Cox, is a love triangle. Nichols’ sisters believe Nichols was set up and killed the day he disappeared.
---
Although the case is not yet closed, investigators say answers could be coming. They believe they have pinpointed the main suspect.

“We believe we know who killed him,” Cox said.
---
The person Nichols went hunting with has been questioned and detectives said he has not cooperated with the investigation.
---
There is a Facebook page dedicated to the case that was started by family members called “Ed Nichols Unsolved Cold Case.” - Link - Ed Nichols Unsolved Cold Case

’We believe we know who killed him:’ Investigators inching closer to solving 46-year-old murder

This comment in the Facebook page is really erie:
"Norman Stites (David’s brother) was my stepfather! The police questioned me abt this case in the late 90’s but I had no verifiable information. However, Norman was in the process of building his house during the time Ed went missing. Specifically, pouring concrete for the garage. It has been said that David & a friend (possibly William Martin or the other Norman?) went to Norman Stites’ house after this hunting trip. I have always had a sneaking suspicion that if that garage was excavated, they may find a murder weapon or possibly a body, since Ed is not the only questionable disappearance or death of someone associated with Norman Stites. I assume Norman is dead by now but I lived under his roof for many years & can certainly attest that he was a horrible & violent human being!"
Source: Ed Nichols Unsolved Cold Case
1680605805303.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a flyer that I just did for this case. Please print and hang around town if you live in the Northern KY area. Also feel free to share on social media. Someone knows something. If that someone is you, do the right thing and come forward.

Attachments

• MISSING Nichols.jpg
    MISSING Nichols.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 3

Dec 19, 2019

December 3, 1974​

Edward Nichols, 21, was last seen hunting with a friend on a farm in Boone County, near the community of Duckhead. The farm is located in the southern part of the county near Gallatin County. Nichols did not return to the vehicle at the end of the day. Nichol's body has not been found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back