KY- I-75 Active Shooter Targeting Vehicles

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Saw this last night and catching up this morning. Couch was on foot shooting at passing vehicles?
How do police know how many rounds of ammunition he has?
Somebody up thread ask if police have done wellness checks of family and people living close to him.
He's believed to be on foot now in the bush?

Saw this last night and catching up this morning. Couch was on foot shooting at passing vehicles?
How do police know how many rounds of ammunition he has?
Somebody up thread ask if police have done wellness checks of family and people living close to him.
He's believed to be on foot now in the bush?

LE were able to find out that the shooter had purchased an AR-15 rifle and 2,000 rounds of ammunition the morning of the shootings.

It hasn't been reported as to whether he was on foot shooting at vehicles or other.

Yes, LE believe that they know the area where he entered the woods and believe they have him contained in that area.

The issue of wellness checks of family members of the shooter was brought up by one of our posters, I believe. I don't think there has been anything about that reported in MSM or from LE.

It is my opinion that they narrowed down where the shots were coming from and found his vehicle, rifle case inside. I’m not convinced LE ever actually sighted him, and believe it’s possible that he managed to flee the now contained area before they were able to get control of the scene.
With that said, I do believe that the shame and fear that comes with processing actions so consequential has already sunken in and he has since taken the easy route out. Jmo

SEP 8, 2024
[...]
The wounded were hospitalized in stable condition early Sunday. Some had “very serious” injuries, including one person who was shot in the face, Acciardo said.

[...]

“We had numerous calls throughout the county and we’re still getting them this morning,” Acciardo said, of calls from concerned community members. “This is a remote area. If he was going to target some place that he wanted to do something like this, it was the perfect spot.”

[...]

“We do have the area contained right now. It’s a very fluid investigation. Our people are still on the scene. Our special response team is there. We are trying to find a shooter there,” he said.

Acciardo said the search s dangerous for first responders and is painstaking because of thick foliage There are “a lot of woods, a lot of cuts in the rock,” he said. “He could be hiding behind a tree and us walk right up on him.”

[...]

SEP 8, 2024
[...]
The wounded were hospitalized in stable condition early Sunday. Some had “very serious” injuries, including one person who was shot in the face, Acciardo said.

[...]

“We had numerous calls throughout the county and we’re still getting them this morning,” Acciardo said, of calls from concerned community members. “This is a remote area. If he was going to target some place that he wanted to do something like this, it was the perfect spot.”

[...]

“We do have the area contained right now. It’s a very fluid investigation. Our people are still on the scene. Our special response team is there. We are trying to find a shooter there,” he said.

Acciardo said the search s dangerous for first responders and is painstaking because of thick foliage There are “a lot of woods, a lot of cuts in the rock,” he said. “He could be hiding behind a tree and us walk right up on him.”

[...]
Bullet proof vested and gas masked Belgian Malinois equipped with cams, and heat seeking drones are their best tools right now IMO. Once located, they should smoke him out. Unclear what tools they may or may not have available to them. The dogs are fearless, and amazing.

Editing - I'd take my chances without the gas mask, and let the dog subdue with those mighty jaws.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Unless this guy is also equipped with a handgun, I think it’s now probable that he’ll be taken alive.

If he intended to shoot it out, he’d still have that AR.

If he intended to kill himself, I think he would have already done it.

Deputies say a car registered to the person of interest, 32-year-old Joseph Couch, was recovered late Saturday night.

The vehicle was described as a smaller, SUV-type silver Honda.

Officials say they believe it's possible Couch could still be armed, and that they're waiting on a ballistics report from federal officials to confirm the gun was used.

Without the AR he’s significantly less dangerous, thank goodness. I do think it’s a possibility he has a handgun though, I can’t understand giving up your means of power or self-destruct in such a dire situation.

The videos the mayor was dropping last night were annoying to me, purely trying to pacify everyone in the moment at the imminent risk of losing trust… jmo

Deputies say a car registered to the person of interest, 32-year-old Joseph Couch, was recovered late Saturday night.

The vehicle was described as a smaller, SUV-type silver Honda.

Officials say they believe it's possible Couch could still be armed, and that they're waiting on a ballistics report from federal officials to confirm the gun was used.
Has anyone sleuthed where this guy lives? I was traveling along the roads last night with the Google Map Guy looking for a black mustang as that was a vehicle description last night. The street view for the area is from July 2024, which is nice and recent.

But, I didn't know if he actually lives in the immediate area or elsewhere. Has anyone found that info?

jmo

Laurel County Sheriff Gilbert Acciardo said Sunday that police found a vehicle belonging to 32-year-old Joseph Couch near the interstate on Saturday night, establishing Couch as a person of interest in the shootings. The car was parked atop a hill on a U.S. Forest Service Road past interstate Exit 41, near the shooting.

On a separate stretch of the highway, Acciardo said, police on Sunday found an AR-15 they believe was used in the shootings. He said authorities don’t know why the suspect seems to have ditched the gun.

Four of the shooting victims were traveling on I-75 from out of the state. The other, 28-year-old Harlan County resident Rebecca Puryear, told the Herald-Leader she was driving with her husband and young son when she was shot in the chest.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauraj333
Back