KY- I-75 Active Shooter Targeting Vehicles

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know this reply is well after the fact and you likely know how the suspect was identified....but for other recent readers here, it was because they found his abandoned vehicle on a remote local road with an empty AR-15 case in it.
Yeah, that question was from over 24 hours ago when the story was still breaking. We've learned more since then. :) But thanks for bringing us all up to speed!

jmo

Granted I’ve not watched the latest press conference; has it been indicated definitively why they would not search overnight for the suspect? If he has un-alived himself, chance to use infrared and other night search capabilities successfully could diminish? Alternatively he could do further harm as well. MOO

SEP 8, 2024
  • Couch purchased a gun and about 1,000 rounds of ammunition Saturday morning at a place in Loudon.
  • It was a legal purchase, per Sheriff Root.
  • He served in the National Guard for four years in an engineer battalion.
  • Captain Dalrymple said they searched his house Sunday evening.
  • Michael Stansbury, special agent in charge of the Louisville FBI office said, "We have solid evidence. His vehicle was at the scene. A firearm that he purchased yesterday was at the scene...We have interviewed people; we feel pretty confident this is the individual."
  • KSP have taken over the manhunt.
  • Laurel Co Sheriff's Office will handle the criminal investigation.
  • Search efforts after nightfall pose a safety risk to first responders, especially due to the rough terrain.
  • Mayor Randall Weddle said the five victims remain hospitalized, some with serious injuries.
  • Laurel County Public Schools will be closed Monday.

Granted I’ve not watched the latest press conference; has it been indicated definitively why they would not search overnight for the suspect? If he has un-alived himself, chance to use infrared and other night search capabilities successfully could diminish? Alternatively he could do further harm as well. MOO
They're not doing ground searches because of the danger to law enforcement, but they haven't mentioned not doing drone searches. I imagine they are, for the reason you stated. I wish a reporter had asked that question so we had a definitive answer.

Updated: 11:30 PM EDT Sep 8, 2024
[...]

Agencies assisting the Laurel County Sheriff's Office:

ATF Louisville, Kentucky State Police, Federal Bureau of Investigation, US Marshal Service, Rockcastle County Sheriff’s Office, East Bernstadt Fire and Rescue, London Fire Department, Bluegrass Army Depot and several other area fire departments.

Also, city police from Lexington, London, Corbin, Williamsburg, Richmond and Mount Vernon are involved.

[...]

The sheriff's office said Sunday that the London Laurel Rescue squad is sending their drone that has FLIR (forward-looking infrared) to assist in the search.

FLIR is a type of infrared imaging system that uses thermal imaging to detect heat emitted by objects.

[...]

SEP 8, 2024
Law enforcement believe Couch is hidden somewhere in the woods off that service road, but the rugged terrain has made their search for him slow-moving and uniquely challenging.

“It’s very unforgiving terrain and not somewhere you want to put people in the dark searching for a needle in a haystack,” said Capt. Richard Darlrymple of the Laurel County Sheriff’s Office.

Ground searches have been suspended until daylight. Other resources in the contained area are still being utilized through the night.

Law enforcement tracked the site of the shooting back to a ledge 30 feet below a cliff. That marked the third location where evidence was recovered, along with the dumped vehicle and weapon.

SEP 8, 2024
Law enforcement believe Couch is hidden somewhere in the woods off that service road, but the rugged terrain has made their search for him slow-moving and uniquely challenging.

“It’s very unforgiving terrain and not somewhere you want to put people in the dark searching for a needle in a haystack,” said Capt. Richard Darlrymple of the Laurel County Sheriff’s Office.

Ground searches have been suspended until daylight. Other resources in the contained area are still being utilized through the night.

Law enforcement tracked the site of the shooting back to a ledge 30 feet below a cliff. That marked the third location where evidence was recovered, along with the dumped vehicle and weapon.

I'd love to see some pictures of the areas where they've found evidence. Specifically the ledge where he shot from.

Do you know if theres a websleuths thread for this?
No I don’t. I wanted to add, if you are talking about shootings from the overpasses in Louisville, it was all over the local news stations and when driving in the Louisville atea there were signs lit up over the interstates making people aware. No arrests made. People have to go on but it’s eerie sometimes. The last person killed was an off duty highway patrolman. Very sad. He was young and had small children. No reason for this!

Last edited:
From the 9:00 pm presser, WYMT-TV reported that police officials do not believe that any of the five victims who were severely injured will die.

A total of 12 vehicles were hit with 20-30 rounds shot.

Police officials said that the suspect has previous military experience and is a former member of the National Guard.

At this time police cannot rule out the possibility that the suspect may have committed suicide.

Source:

Suspect has military experience, bought supposed weapon gay of shooting
There’s erroneous news everywhere I have read. I read there were multiple deaths. Five were hit. Some in stable condition. I watched WLKY and WAVE3 out of Louisville and of course there was a lot written on Daily Mail. I read some on Fox also. Be glad when he is caught and charges are filed so we know exactly.

SEP 8, 2024
[...]

“It sounded like a tire had blown, so I asked my husband, and he said it was gunshots,” Puryear told CNN on Sunday.

“The next thing I know, my ears are ringing. I look over and my (passenger-side) window is busted and there’s a bullet hole.”

[...]

“I started fainting and going in and out, and he told me to get in his cruiser so he could take me to the hospital.”

Puryear said a bullet entered through the passenger-side window and struck her right arm, penetrating her chest before exiting through her left arm. She was released from a hospital later Saturday night but will need surgery.

[...]
What shocks me is she was released. Hospitals here are nothing more than triage centers. I fractured my spine in December. Hospital released me to go home and wait for surgery two weeks later.
America is not what it used to be. I guess things never are. I’ve lived too long.

There’s erroneous news everywhere I have read. I read there were multiple deaths. Five were hit. Some in stable condition. I watched WLKY and WAVE3 out of Louisville and of course there was a lot written on Daily Mail. I read some on Fox also. Be glad when he is caught and charges are filed so we know exactly.
Law enforcement stated at the press conference Sunday that all the victims are all expected to survive.

jmo

I can say there are thick dense woods and very rocky mountainous region. No lights in the area at night. It would be dangerous for LE and easy to be picked off by a man with a rifle. I suppose helicopters with lights and snipers would help. I am guessing they believe they have him surrounded. Lots of terrain to cover. He may know that area better than they do. I worry about copy cats though. This happens all over the country. MSM doesn’t cover it much. IMO.

They're not doing ground searches because of the danger to law enforcement, but they haven't mentioned not doing drone searches. I imagine they are, for the reason you stated. I wish a reporter had asked that question so we had a definitive answer.
Can drone searches fly between the mountains and rocks where he could be hiding? I don’t know.

The Sheriffs Office themselves have stated that five people had been injured, and all are stable/expected to recover.

SEP 8, 2024
  • Couch purchased a gun and about 1,000 rounds of ammunition Saturday morning at a place in Loudon.
  • It was a legal purchase, per Sheriff Root.
  • He served in the National Guard for four years in an engineer battalion.
  • Captain Dalrymple said they searched his house Sunday evening.
  • Michael Stansbury, special agent in charge of the Louisville FBI office said, "We have solid evidence. His vehicle was at the scene. A firearm that he purchased yesterday was at the scene...We have interviewed people; we feel pretty confident this is the individual."
  • KSP have taken over the manhunt.
  • Laurel Co Sheriff's Office will handle the criminal investigation.
  • Search efforts after nightfall pose a safety risk to first responders, especially due to the rough terrain.
  • Mayor Randall Weddle said the five victims remain hospitalized, some with serious injuries.
  • Laurel County Public Schools will be closed Monday.
This is what I mean about the news. He says the five victims remain hospitalized. Then a report here says a victim was released from the hospital although they require surgery. I heard some victims are dead.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cryptocloud155
Back