KY- I-75 Active Shooter Targeting Vehicles

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Last edited by a moderator:
He texted his ex-wife at 5:03 p.m. and she contacted police.

SEP 9, 2024
Shortly before opening fire on unsuspecting travelers on Interstate 75, Joseph Couch sent a chilling text to his ex-wife pledging, “I’m going to kill a lot of people.”

He added, “Well (I’m going to) try at least.”

Couch sent a follow-up text: “I’ll kill myself afterwards...”

The stunning details emerged Monday in affidavits released by authorities connected to criminal charges slapped on the 32-year-old man. The documents were reviewed by the Herald-Leader.
Ok, this explains the suicide thing being brought up at the press conference. He either chickened out and didn't kill himself, or he's got another weapon.

I'm guessing a call from the ex-wife is how LE ID'd the guy so quickly. jmo
Is that what happened? I'd heard early on that it started as road rage, so I figured he was in a vehicle and then he fled on foot into the woods and they identified him from the vehicle. But, I've only been checking this thread occasionally, so I probably missed a lot.

SEP 9, 2024
Couch served in the National Guard for at least four years, Dalrymple said. The U.S. Army said in a statement that Couch was in the Army Reserve from March 2013 to January 2019 as a combat engineer who was a private when he left and had no deployments.

Couch had previously served in the Army Reserve and suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder, Weddle told NBC News correspondent Priya Sridhar on Monday.

***Family members of Couch had told investigators that he had grappled with PTSD, Weddle said Monday.

Is that what happened? I'd heard early on that it started as road rage, so I figured he was in a vehicle and then he fled on foot into the woods and they identified him from the vehicle. But, I've only been checking this thread occasionally, so I probably missed a lot.
That mayor spread a lot of false information early on, which is where the road rage thing came from.

It’s been confirmed that it was not road rage.

SEP 9, 2024
The affidavit states that before the shooting, Laurel Dispatch received a call from a person who stated that Joseph Couch texted them and advised that he was "going to kill a lot of people." In response to the report, it states that "a Detective initiated an emergency cell site tracker on Couch's phone." Further, the affidavit states that the first location of the phone was received "around 6:53 p.m. and was within 2500 meters of the cell tower on exit 49 on Cromer Ridge."

... just before 5:30 p.m., London-Laurel E-911 received calls of multiple people who had been shot on I-75 near exit 49.

[...]

... around 8:41 p.m., an employee at Center Target Firearms in London notified officials that Couch had "purchased a Cobalt AR-15 with a Holosum Sight mounted on it and 1000 rounds of ammunition" on Saturday, totaling almost $3,000.

[...]

... law enforcement searched the area in which they found Couch's vehicle and in doing so, discovered a "green army-style duffle bag, several magazines of .223 cal/5.56 mm ammunition, and numerous spent shell casings." It goes on to note that the "inside of the duffle bag revealed it had 'Couch' handwritten in black marker."

[...]

SEP 9, 2024
Couch served in the National Guard for at least four years, Dalrymple said. The U.S. Army said in a statement that Couch was in the Army Reserve from March 2013 to January 2019 as a combat engineer who was a private when he left and had no deployments.

Couch had previously served in the Army Reserve and suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder, Weddle told NBC News correspondent Priya Sridhar on Monday.

***Family members of Couch had told investigators that he had grappled with PTSD, Weddle said Monday.

If there were no deployments during Couch's service in the National Guard, then I'm not sure where PTSD comes in, but perhaps I am missing something and don't understand how that could be the case, based on his service in the National Guard.

SEP 9, 2024
The affidavit states that before the shooting, Laurel Dispatch received a call from a person who stated that Joseph Couch texted them and advised that he was "going to kill a lot of people." In response to the report, it states that "a Detective initiated an emergency cell site tracker on Couch's phone." Further, the affidavit states that the first location of the phone was received "around 6:53 p.m. and was within 2500 meters of the cell tower on exit 49 on Cromer Ridge."

... just before 5:30 p.m., London-Laurel E-911 received calls of multiple people who had been shot on I-75 near exit 49.

[...]

... around 8:41 p.m., an employee at Center Target Firearms in London notified officials that Couch had "purchased a Cobalt AR-15 with a Holosum Sight mounted on it and 1000 rounds of ammunition" on Saturday, totaling almost $3,000.

[...]

... law enforcement searched the area in which they found Couch's vehicle and in doing so, discovered a "green army-style duffle bag, several magazines of .223 cal/5.56 mm ammunition, and numerous spent shell casings." It goes on to note that the "inside of the duffle bag revealed it had 'Couch' handwritten in black marker."

[...]
Wow, so much was happening so fast! And I suspect the shooter wanted it that way. He made no secret of his crime and I think if he's still alive (questionable), he is enjoying putting the community through this turmoil and getting "credit" for it.

I suspected the person who sold him the gun and ammo called in a tip.

jmo

@Inthedetails thank you for updating live. I am at work so I can't watch the presser but I can at least read it!
I'm not writing every sentence verbatim as there really isn't new or unexpected info. Bottomline: they haven't found him yet and different agencies are responsible for different aspects of the case.

jmo

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EVH