KY- I-75 Active Shooter Targeting Vehicles

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“Kentucky State Police continues the search for Joseph Couch and has extended the search deeper into Daniel Boone National Forest. We will continue to provide an increased patrol presence near exit 49 in Laurel County.” Tpr. Scottie Pennington, Post 11 London

not really sure how they will find him if he is deceased because there will be: no trail, no waste, no activity. It is such a large area. Unfortunate for all the people who might want to use the park for recreation, the businesses and the nearby towns.

not really sure how they will find him if he is deceased because there will be: no trail, no waste, no activity. It is such a large area. Unfortunate for all the people who might want to use the park for recreation, the businesses and the nearby towns.
A heat seeking drone can still detect a body several hours after death, depending on a variety of clothing and environmental factors. Cadaver dogs can pick up scent for a considerable time following death.

Amateur opinion and speculation

A heat seeking drone can still detect a body several hours after death, depending on a variety of clothing and environmental factors. Cadaver dogs can pick up scent for a considerable time following death.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Now this is my own speculation.

If he is deceased somewhere in the woods, it could be possible that the searchers may or may not see birds circling overhead in a same spot in the woods. That is usually an indication that a body is on a ground somewhere in the area.

SEP 13, 2024
After almost a week of 'road closed' signs on Exit 49 following the mass shooting on I-75, the exit is finally back open.

There are mixed opinions about this decision because the suspected shooter, Joseph Couch, still hasn't been found.

not really sure how they will find him if he is deceased because there will be: no trail, no waste, no activity.

It reminds me of the hunt for Brian Laundrie. Searching over difficult terrain, assumed to be within a specific radius but no certainty. I wonder if it'll end with the same result. I hope so, because that will mean no more people are at risk of harm; if he's alive there's no doubt in my mind that he'll still be armed and dangerous.

Now this is my own speculation.

If he is deceased somewhere in the woods, it could be possible that the searchers may or may not see birds circling overhead in a same spot in the woods. That is usually an indication that a body is on a ground somewhere in the area.
I agree. I really don’t think this guy will ever be found. People have gone missing in smaller, much more forgiving environments, and never been located. I just don’t see him being alive at this point, and I think he’s probably been dead for days.

SEP 14, 2024
Nearly a week later, the hunt for the man responsible for shooting five people on I-75 continues. On Friday, Kentucky State Police said the search for Joseph Couch has extended deeper into the Daniel Boone National Forest.

Couch is facing five charges of attempted murder and first-degree assault, according to an arrest affidavit.

Police have vowed that the search will continue until he is found.

Dr. Martin said any fear people have throughout the manhunt is understandable, but there is a fine line between being on high alert and experiencing debilitating anxiety.

“I know that fear is going to be there, but if you start to let it dominate or preclude you from things, then at the end of the day, that’s going to end up setting you back way worse and that’s gonna be harder to get back from,” he said.

Is it possible he gave the other AR-15 to another person when he was in trouble prior? He might have worried his firearm would be confiscated. And when he could not get his gun back when he needed it, he purchased one quicker.

Sorry if this has been discussed, I am trying to catch up with the threads.
You have a very plausible reason why he had to buy another one,

I agree. I really don’t think this guy will ever be found. People have gone missing in smaller, much more forgiving environments, and never been located. I just don’t see him being alive at this point, and I think he’s probably been dead for days.
I think he just kept walking and is not in the forest anymore. This case is a bit strange. I haven't seen anything on the news regarding his family or even if a search has been conducted in his home. Has anyone seen this?

I think he just kept walking and is not in the forest anymore. This case is a bit strange. I haven't seen anything on the news regarding his family or even if a search has been conducted in his home. Has anyone seen this?
If he walked out, I believe we’d know. The whole state is looking for this guy.

If he walked out, I believe we’d know. The whole state is looking for this guy.
Yes, I know the whole state is looking for him. It's getting harder and harder to explain why they have not found him, especially using scent dogs. Maybe he had a pistol too and he is lying dead somewhere under a fallen tree or something. I don't know, just like everyone else right now.

This reminds me way more of the search for Brian Laundrie than it does for Daniel Calvacontes (?) or Richard Matt and David Sweat (I always mix up their names, from Dannemora). For the latter three, there were many rumors and reports in the news and on the scanner of signs of them moving on the run. With Laundrie, there was nothing. Similar to this. Mainly a lot of calls for suspicious person and nothing panning out. The helicopters have been mainly focused at the spot where his car and weapon was found so they must have something that leads them there. And no sign or trail of him moving. I imagine it will be awhile before we hear of him being found deceased. I doubt he’s in a cave or simply hiding somewhere content to stay there. Especially with his last text message. MOO

Yes, I know the whole state is looking for him. It's getting harder and harder to explain why they have not found him, especially using scent dogs. Maybe he had a pistol too and he is lying dead somewhere under a fallen tree or something. I don't know, just like everyone else right now.

I'm thinking he committed suicide around the time his vehicle and weapons stash was found.

ETA: I'm curious as to why LE thinks he went more deeply into the forest; did I miss something?

JMVHO.

Last edited:
I'm thinking he committed suicide around the time his vehicle and weapons stash was found.

ETA: I'm curious as to why LE thinks he went more deeply into the forest; did I miss something?

JMVHO.

I feel the same and I have the same question.

I do hope they have obtained help beyond the KSP, local PD, and forest rangers. (I'm sorry but I haven't had total confidence since the beginning). I fully realize how dense and vast this forest area is, but I would have assumed the search area would have been narrowed after nearly a week of searching. jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman
Back