KY KY - Jackson, Rural Breathitt Co, WhtMale 35-45, UP103, Bifocals, Healed Fracture Rt Ankle & Walking Cane, Jan'79

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
The Doe Network
1257UMKY.jpg

Sketch of Victim

Unidentified Male
  • Date of Discovery: January 27, 1979
  • Location of Discovery: Rural Breathitt County, Kentucky
  • Estimated Date of Death: 6-12 months prior to discovery
  • State of Remains: Partial skeletal Remains
  • Cause of Death: Not stated
Physical Description
** Listed information is approximate

• Estimated Age: 35-45 years old
  • Race: CAucasian
  • Height: 6'0
  • Weight: Unknown
  • Hair Color: Medium-light brown hair
  • Eye Color: Unknown; Wore bifocals
  • Distinguishing Marks/Features: Healed fracture of distal right fibula (right ankle). Arthritic and walked with a pronounced limp. He had a thin nose that once was broken, and was probably left-handed. Slender build.

• Dentals: Available (Incomplete chart) overall nicotine staining noted as well as pronounced enamel hypoplasia overall.
  • Fingerprints: Not available
  • DNA: Available (FBI NMPDD)
Clothing & Personal Items
  • Clothing: Grey/brown plaid slacks, 38 waist, 33 length; long sleeved polyester shirt, brown, green, white print; cotton briefs; black socks; black leather belt. Black oxford style shoes 10 1/2 -11 D - instep built up in left shoe. There was money in the victim's wallet, but all identification cards and labels from his clothes had been removed

• Jewelry: Unknown

• Additional Personal Items: Walking cane found with the remains.

Case History
The nearly intact skeleton remains were found in a snowstorm on a hillside about 75 yards from a highway in a thinly populated area of Breathitt County by hunters. Breathitt county is located in the Eastern Coal Field region of the state.

The elevation in the county ranges from 650 to 1600 feet above sea level. (The eastern Kentucky coal field covers the eastern end of the state, stretching from the Appalachian Mountains westward across the Cumberland Plateau to the Pottsville Escarpment. Coal mining is the major industry).

The Doe Network: 1257UMKY

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Breathitt County John Doe – UNSOLVED APPALACHIA

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Interesting story:
I submitted William Bishop Jr. as a possible match, to date not on either rule list. William lived in TN, was an avid outdoors man, was 6 ft tall with brown hair. He was last seen March 2, 1976. His truck was recovered 3/18/76 Gatlinburg, TN (Heart of the Great Smokey Mountains). If located, do not approach or contact Bishop. Notify law enforcement immediately. Sought on 5 murder warrants, his mother, wife, 3 sons.

MD - MD - Bishop Family murders, Bethesda, 1 March 1976

His reconstruction sure resembles Bishop's age-enhanced photo. No indication Bishop had the limp etc. though. Do you think he was hiding out in the mountains for a couple of years after the murders?

Size 38 waist is not what I would think of as "slender," and 33 length does not seem long enough for a man who is 6' tall. Is it possible the numbers are reversed?

All MOO as always.

His reconstruction sure resembles Bishop's age-enhanced photo. No indication Bishop had the limp etc. though. Do you think he was hiding out in the mountains for a couple of years after the murders?

Yeah, the limp would seem to rule him out, considering Bishop was described as an avid outdoorsman who participated in, among other things, jogging, tennis, and skiing. The UID suffered from arthritis and used a walking cane. Hard to imagine such a decline in health in such a short period of time.

Of course, if he was on the run maybe he didn't seek medical care for his ankle fracture and this caused/exacerbated arthritis or other problems with ambulation?

The UID seemed to be a heavy smoker, too. Seems less likely to be true of an avid outdoorsman, but certainly not impossible, especially in the '70s. Do we know if Bishop was a smoker?

All MOO.

Not alot of personal details about Bishop to be had, he is suspected of killing the 5 people that would know him best. He seems like the type of guy that would have a wallet with money and purposely no ID.

Last edited:
Yeah, there are far too many connections to not call it in. Did they say anything other than that they'd look at it?

It occurs to me that one motorcycle accident would be enough to account for the injuries, limp, etc.

I called the coroner telephone number referenced in the 2017 article. I probably got a guy coming off the night shift. He said I don't know anything about this. But did take my number. He gave me the Kentucky State Police Number. (No call backs)

I called the Kentucky State Police, an investigator took my name and number and said he would try to find out the Investigator working the case. He called me back and asked for the Namus UP #.

4 hours later, a Detective called me back from the State Police,I gave him the info, he did not want the Namus UP or MP number he said he didn't work like that. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz They most likely weren't there in 1970's so didn't know of it off hand.

In the interim I said "screw this" and went to the source at the Bishop side. I called the FBI fugitive tip line/hotline. They are very organized: recorded everything I said and also entered it in to the computer as I gave them the information, to pass on. They also took my telephone number if they have questions. But can't imagine they would have questions for "moi".

Never panned out, William Bishop is still missing and an FBI fugitive on top of it. We'll see if this one pans out.
Carbuff I emailed Namus this morning too, for additional backup, I got a reply they would compare it and pass it on. I tried to cover all my bases.

Last edited:
I called the coroner telephone number referenced in the 2017 article. I probably got a guy coming off the night shift. He said I don't know anything about this. But did take my number. He gave me the Kentucky State Police Number. (No call backs)

I called the Kentucky State Police, an investigator took my name and number and said he would try to find out the Investigator working the case. He called me back and asked for the Namus UP #.

4 hours later, a Detective called me back from the State Police,I gave him the info, he did not want the Namus UP or MP number he said he didn't work like that. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz They most likely weren't there in 1970's so didn't know of it off hand.

In the interim I said "screw this" and went to the source at the Bishop side. I called the FBI fugitive tip line/hotline. They are very organized: recorded everything I said and also entered it in to the computer as I gave them the information, to pass on. They also took my telephone number if they have questions. But can't imagine they would have questions for "moi".

You are awesome Hounderpounder! Thank you for your diligence and contacting the FBI with your tip! I'm so impressed with your efforts and I feel encouraged that something good will come of it. At the very least, maybe someone at the FBI will take a look at the case of this unidentified man and get the case solved.

Never panned out, William Bishop is still missing and an FBI fugitive on top of it. We'll see if this one pans out.
Carbuff I emailed Namus this morning too, for additional backup, I got a reply they would compare it and pass it on. I tried to cover all my bases.
Thank-you and yes, that UID does look somewhat like the sketch. Hopefully, the investigators will get on that soon!

He has been ruled out as William Bishop Jr. Leave it to the FBI to get on it and run it in less than a week. Back to the drawing board.

The FBI takes these things seriously. The only time I reported directly to them, I had an answer within a couple of days along with a nice thank you message about the importance of calling them even when you think it's unlikely.

So true Carbuff, the worst that can happen is the lead goes nowhere, but we just can't pass it over, there is always chance the one we passed over was the match or fugitive.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPParadise
Back