KY, Judge Kevin Mullins killed, sheriff arrested, Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024 MEDIA, MAPS, & TIMELINE**NO DISCUSSION**

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Seattle1

Reaction score

OCT 1, 2024

1727855925951.png

Shocking video showing the killing of a Kentucky judge in his chambers was played Tuesday at the preliminary hearing for the former sheriff accused of his murder.

Shawn “Mickey” Stines, 43, who officially resigned Monday as sheriff of Letcher County, appeared in court in a jail uniform and handcuffs as prosecutors presented their evidence in the murder of District Judge Kevin Mullins.

Judge Rupert Wilhoit found probable cause to refer the first-degree murder charge to a grand jury. Defense attorneys did not deny that Stines shot Mullins, 54, last month, but suggested Stines was experiencing an “extreme emotional disturbance” at the time of the shooting.

“I think they’ve established probable cause for manslaughter first, but not murder,” defense attorney Jeremy Bartley told the judge.

10/2/24

"I was told Sheriff Stines tried to call his daughter, and tried to call his daughter from the judge's phone also," Kentucky State Police Det. Clayton Stamper said.
Surveillance video capturing the entire shooting was played during the hearing. A woman could be heard shrieking from the back of the courtroom as Stines was seen firing his weapon several times at Mullins.
After the first series of shots, Mullins tried to take cover behind his desk. Stines is then seen walking around and firing more shots.
Just as Stines is about to exit the room, he stops and fires at Mullins again.
"He was mostly calm [after the shooting]," Stamper said. "I talked to him, but he didn't say anything about why this happened. He was calm. Kind of afraid. Basically all he said was, 'Treat me fair.'"

10/2/24

Bartley also argued that the charges against Stines should be amended down to manslaughter due to Stamper’s testimony that claimed there was no evidence to show the shooting was planned and was the result of “extreme emotional disturbance.”

The Commonwealth objected to this motion, which was ultimately sustained because Mullins was not believed to be armed at the time of the shooting.

10/1/24

Sheriff v. Judge In Kentucky - What's Really Going On? Did The State Over Charge?​

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake12
Back