KY KY - Officer Jason Ellis, 33, Bardstown, 25 May 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“His family, our two sons, his wonderful friends and I cannot heal without knowing who and why he was taken from us by this senseless murder,” said Jason’s wife Amy. “We still struggle with the need to understand before the healing can begin.”

The reward for information leading to Jason Ellis' killer is up to $185,000.

You can call Post 4 with your tips at 270-766-5078, or a special Kentucky State Police tip line at 800-222-5555, you can also email ElliscaseEtips@ky.gov your information.

Read More at: http://www.local12.com/news/feature...fficer-Jason-Ellis-asks-for-tips-135109.shtml

I probably would not have known about the murder of Kathy Netherland and her daughter if it not were for this case. I'm interested in it almost from the beginning, and I can not believe they have already been two years. A huge reward, and nothing. Astonishing.

Family, friends, and fellow officers of Officer Ellis - know that he is not forgotten, and while justice has been delayed, we pray that it will not be denied.

RIP Officer Ellis

Great podcast called The Unresolved that covers this and Crystal Rogers. New to this case, Bardstown seems like a terribly interesting place. And I mean terrible.

Great podcast called The Unresolved that covers this and Crystal Rogers. New to this case, Bardstown seems like a terribly interesting place. And I mean terrible.

And, it's too bad as Bardstown is (generally) a lovely town. IMO, I'm coming to realize there's just too much corruption there (and really everywhere :()

http://www.visitbardstown.com/2014/07/17/americas-beautiful-small-town-keeps-winning-awards/

Off topic, but I just recently learned of a Bardstown family's years-ago link (as victims) to members of the Manson family.

I'm thinking this was a set up by those Houk brothers.
What did they not want Officer Ellis to divulge?

I think it was something similar to what you suggested, but I don't really that the Houck brothers were involved with Ellis.

I hope the Kentucky State Police are looking into the Ellis/Netherland murders and the disappearance of Crystal Rogers.

Our local (NC Sheriff and moreso the Bardstown Police) are presently involved in a "situation" that I think, regardless of the levels of corruption of either, was meant to distract people from the Ellis and Rogers cases. And maybe the Netherland murders, perhaps.

Bardstown's current mayor (who isn't the most agreeable person, in terms of other parts of local gov't) saw fit to "screw around with" the police force around here while Chief of Police was off duty due to medical reasons. He appointed a police officer known for shooting a suspect in the back and being charged (but not convicted) of murder as the *advertiser censored*'t Chief.
Several officers have resigned and the County Sheriff has pulled out of a task force where they were working with.

I don't want to say too much because I'm in the county and have had an unpleasant encounter with the new "Chief" and don't wanna get myself killed and stuff. I've posted a few things about this whole cauldron of LE BS on the Netherland and Rogers threads...

All that said, I'd actually met Officer Ellis and he seemed like an OK guy. His widow was a grade or two below me. She's always seemed like a nice girl and he seemed like a nice guy, from what I know of him.

I think it was something similar to what you suggested, but I don't really that the Houck brothers were involved with Ellis.

I hope the Kentucky State Police are looking into the Ellis/Netherland murders and the disappearance of Crystal Rogers.

Our local (NC Sheriff and moreso the Bardstown Police) are presently involved in a "situation" that I think, regardless of the levels of corruption of either, was meant to distract people from the Ellis and Rogers cases. And maybe the Netherland murders, perhaps.

For your peace of mind, Bardstown police are not in charge of any of the investigations, as remarked several times by Rick McCubbin. The three investigations are conducted by KSP. So ...I do not know where distraction is.

For your peace of mind, Bardstown police are not in charge of any of the investigations, as remarked several times by Rick McCubbin. The three investigations are conducted by KSP. So ...I do not know where distraction is.

If recent events in Bardstown are in fact the "distraction" that is referenced - there is plenty of distraction. The Mayor of Bardstown has recently unilaterally and unpopularly made some decisions to promote some Bardstown police officers and demote others, and did so without even the most basic of professional courtesy to the sitting police chief. (who is quite well respected) The police chief then made a sudden decision to retire. Whole lot of head shaking going on over that crazy Mayor & his actions.

Wednesday marks three years since the murder of Bardstown Officer Jason Ellis. Ellis, 33, was killed while on his way home from work.

(...)

The still unsolved crime has devastated his family and his department, including his K-9 partner, Figo. Figo, 10, now lives with Kris Phillips, Ellis' mother-in-law. From time to time she brings the aging German Shepherd, now struggling with arthritis, to visit officers at the Bardstown Police Department. Their latest trip was Tuesday afternoon.

Phillips says Figo is always eager to return and happy to see familiar faces, but seems to be looking for one in particular.

(...)

"There are several guys here who will call and say, 'Bring Figo down, we'll keep him awhile.' That's really helped us, especially early on," Phillips said.

"Whenever Kris brings him around it reunites us with Jason," Officer Tom Blair, who trained Ellis, said.

(...)

Ramon Pineiroa, chief deputy with the Nelson County Sheriff's Department, was one of Ellis' closest friends. He says it's clear Figo, who memorably placed his paw on Ellis' casket, misses his partner. So too does everyone that knew and worked with Jason Ellis. It is why an arrest, as the anniversary nears, is so important.

http://m.wlky.com/news/3-years-afte...th-k9-figo-still-looking-for-partner/39707570

I got really freaked out around an hour or so ago. I was standing outside the liquor store in Bloomfield when (literally) a couple of MILES of cop cars drove by toward Chaplin.

Honestly... I hadn't seen that many cop cars (anywhere) at one time in all of my 37 years. And I'd never seen that long of a line of cars of any kind going through Bloomfield. A few news vans were in the group and there was at least one (TV station?) helicopter flying around.

I hope I don't wind up on some news clip later on tonight. I was standing there watching the cars go by, along with many others who were doing the same. Only I was trying to hold a few bags of booze while throwing chicken bones to a stray cat and looking really confused.

Today is the anniversary of Officer Ellis' murder and they had a candlelight vigil at his grave in Chaplin. Hopefully it went smoothly, because I don't know how that many cars would be able to park at the cemetery. I don't know how that many cars could even fit in Chaplin itself, much less all at the graveyard.

Three year anniversary of Officer Jason Ellis' murder marked with candlelight vigil
WKYT (CBS Lexington, KY)
5/25/2016
The twenty-fifth of May is a tough day at the Bardstown Police department.

"Very, very emotional day," Chief Rick McCubbin said Wednesday. "Certainly for us, but the family especially."

On this day in 2013 Officer Jason Ellis was shot and killed after he got out of his cruiser to remove debris from an exit off of the Bluegrass Parkway. He left behind a wife and two young sons.
Officer Ellis' friends and family plan to meet at the police department Wednesday night and travel the route he took the night he died, eventually going to the cemetery where he is buried for a candlelight vigil.

I read everything I could find on this case over the past few days. It is a very interesting case and here are my thoughts on it.

I am 100% convinced Officer Ellis was targeted. I am also convinced his killer knew him very well. The killer placed an obstacle on the path Officer Ellis would take home when they knew he would be getting off work. The killer also knew him well enough to know, he would stop and move the branches out of the roadway. Officer Ellis was a very good officer and guy, they knew he would stop and move the branches. The killer also knew how deserted that exit would be at 2:00 am when Officer Ellis would be using it. It was 20-30 minutes after he was killed before the first cars used that exit. This also means the killer had a very good knowledge of the area and traffic patterns, especially at 2:00 am.

The murder weapon also has some interesting clues. It was a 12 gauge shotgun. Shotguns cannot be traced using traditional ballistic tests. They don't leave identifiable rifling markings like pistols and rifles do. Shotguns are also very forgiving when it comes to aim. A difficult shot at 30 yards with a pistol in the dark is an easy shot with a shotgun. The second part of the murder weapon I find important also relies on how accurate the reported news has been. According to multiple news reports, Officer Ellis was hit with multiple shots from a 12 gauge but with 2 different types of ammo. This could indicate a couple of things. Either 2 shooters, which is interesting since LE indicated they had evidence more than one person may have been at the scene when the shooting occurred, or a sloppy killer. Do we think it was a sloppy killer who didn't realize he had a mix of shells in his shotgun? No, because he was very clever in his planning and execution of the murder. He just didn't realize his idiot partner would have bird shot in his shotgun. Again, this part of my opinion relies heavily on the accuracy of what has been reported.

So, at this point I think Officer Ellis was killed by two people, who knew him, his schedule, the area at 2 am, and that shotguns aren't traceable by standard ballistic tests.

Motive is where this case will be solved if it is ever solved. The most likely motives in my opinion are:
1) Marital (Did she start dating anyone a few months later? I have no idea, it is just a question.)
2) Drug arrest related (certainly possible, but most drug lords/cartels understand how much heat murdering a pillar of the community cop would bring down. You go from a cop busting small time dealers to having the FBI, Secret Service, state police etc etc on every corner)
3) He knew something about a fellow cop and was gonna spill the beans. This makes the most sense to me. A fellow cop fits every criteria for this murder. They would know he would stop and move the stuff out of the roadway, that he takes that exit to go home, when he radioed dispatch to end his shift, that the exit would be abandoned at 2 am, and that shotguns aren't traceable.

I hope this case is solved but after 3 years, the odds are it won't be.

2) Drug arrest related (certainly possible, but most drug lords/cartels understand how much heat murdering a pillar of the community cop would bring down. You go from a cop busting small time dealers to having the FBI, Secret Service, state police etc etc on every corner)

3) He knew something about a fellow cop and was gonna spill the beans. This makes the most sense to me. A fellow cop fits every criteria for this murder. They would know he would stop and move the stuff out of the roadway, that he takes that exit to go home, when he radioed dispatch to end his shift, that the exit would be abandoned at 2 am, and that shotguns aren't traceable.

This is what surely happened and it's more than likely #3 is related to #2.

For #1, Amy may have known that he was driving a different car, but she doesn't seem the type that would set this kind of thing up. And also, the cops would probably be the only other people that knew he'd be driving a car that didn't have a camera that night.

I can't help but wonder if the people that were demoted and/or resigned recently may have known something and that is the reason they were sacked.
...Or they might have not known something and it was feared they'd find out about it someday.

And a cop would probably know that a shotgun couldn't really be traced via ballistics.

I'm kind of at a loss for words... Read into this what you may.
The things going on in my local government seem more fit to a soap opera storyline than in the real world.
By that, I mean like when Marlena got posessed by the devil and all that stuff. Not the "normal" things you'd expect from a mere afternoon drama.

Bardstown mayor fires former assistant police chief over allegations of document shredding
FOX-41 (Louisville, KY 6/1/2016)
The mayor of Bardstown has fired the former assistant chief of the Bardstown Police Department after he was allegedly caught shredding documents belonging to the City of Bardstown, according to official documents.
Sometime from the week of April 18th to 22nd, until May 4th, Captain Thomas Roby was observed by the Police Department Administrative Assistant shredding, "piles and piles of documents" and throwing documents into a [trash] can to be shredded by the shredding service. Among those documents were Drug Taskforce case files, Internal Affairs files on former and active police officers, and other documents belonging to the City of Bardstown.

He was also observed by Officer Lynn Davis tearing up a disciplinary document relating to Officer Davis and saying, 'See, you thought I was trying to jam you up.' Officer Davis later recovered the pieces of the torn up file and turned them over to Captain McKenzie Mattingly.

Upon taking possession of a computer, the City IT department found that all of its user files, (the tom.roby user tree) had been deleted. The computer has been sent to the Attorney General's office to try to recover any files that remain on the computer.

Wow- this an interesting development!

The 'mayor' is a real piece of work. The records reflect he seems to have a need to constantly reassert his authority. And that attitude also seems to not have always worked out well for him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SacramentoKing
Back