KY - Rowan County clerk Kim Davis Jailed for Contempt, 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

In a statement about Davis' most recent bid for an exemption, James Esseks, director of the ACLU's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Project, said the clerk "keeps asking the same question and getting the same answer from the courts - that she has to do her job."

"Issuing marriage licenses doesn't mean she approves of those marriages, it just means she's doing the job she was elected to do."

Guys, I promise not everyone in Kentucky is this dim witted. She's one of the few. :(

Thank you, Tulessa! I feel like I want to remove the "KY" off of my screen name nowadays until Kim starts fading out of the news! Just remember folks, KY gave you: Abraham Lincoln, Bourbon, the KY derby, Ashley Judd, the UK Wildcats, and drum roll..... George Clooney AND Johnny Depp. You're WELCOME!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kim-davis.jpg

https://dumasaphobicdiatribes.wordpress.com/2015/09/12/kim-davis-memes/

Just a little humour break.

The frumper is black.:moo:

Thank you, Tulessa! I feel like I want to remove the "KY" off of my screen name nowadays until Kim starts fading out of the news! Just remember folks, KY gave you: Abraham Lincoln, Bourbon, the KY derby, Ashley Judd, the UK Wildcats, and drum roll..... George Clooney AND Johnny Depp. You're WELCOME!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What about Colonel Sanders and Kentucky Fried Chicken??????

:)

Sometimes a later Supreme Court does.

Plessy vs. Ferguson was a SCOTUS decision.

Brown vs. Board of Education overruled it.

True, but that took over 50 years to happen. To overturn the SCOTUS decision on gay marriage would take more political power, then I think the anti-gay marriage people have. That's assuming that they could even find a judge to nominate for the supreme court, who would be interested in overturning the decision on gay marriage. Even once appointed to the supreme court, justices do not always rule the way they are expected to, and overturning Obergefell v. Hodges now would not look good historically. So even if another anti-gay marriage justice was appointed to the supreme court at some point in the future, that justice would have to think long and hard if he would actually want to go through with overturning the courts decision on gay marriage.

I think that there is close to a zero chance that the SCOTUS will ban gay marriage again, ever.

I'm enjoying this thread so much. It's obvious the posters here are all in favor of gay marriage. What's funny to me is, how long ago was it that Obama and Hillary were against it?

I'm enjoying this thread so much. It's obvious the posters here are all in favor of gay marriage. What's funny to me is, how long ago was it that Obama and Hillary were against it?

I find your statement a little insulting. Some of us here are FOR EQUAL RIGHTS UNDER THE CONSTITUTION for all human beings no matter their race, religion or sexual orientation. I don't think any of this is FUNNY- either.

My brother came out as gay when I was a teenager- we were raised Mormon.

I have many gay friends who have wanted to commit suicide, at different times in their young lives because of the way people like KD treat them and what is said about them. I also have black people in my family by marriage.

You can imagine how THAT went over with my older Mormon family members. None of this is funny.

The humor- in regards to KD outfits is, however- a welcome relief actually. I don't know anyone who has wanted to commit suicide over a bad outfit or hairday.

Rant over.

I've seen many that have changed the stance on this issue.

I support equal treatment for all in our society. I see absolutely no harm that comes from equal rights. In fact I feel it is humanitarian to treat all with dignity and respect. When someone that just wants happiness, is shunned and treated different by many, imagine how that effects their mental health and well being. That discrimination is harmful to those that fall into that segment in our society.

There are many other things the church preaches or used to preach that are no longer applicable in this day and age. We have moved away from a lot of those things for obvious reasons. When looking back at history as women and minorities gained equal, rights there was just as many screaming on both sides at that time period.

There are still groups out there that don't like that women or African Americans have equal rights, such as the KKK. These are known as hate groups now. Although these hate groups are still given the right to freedom of speech, they are not allowed to "act" on their beliefs.

In a statement about Davis' most recent bid for an exemption, James Esseks, director of the ACLU's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Project, said the clerk "keeps asking the same question and getting the same answer from the courts - that she has to do her job."

"Issuing marriage licenses doesn't mean she approves of those marriages, it just means she's doing the job she was elected to do."
BBM - And paid 80K a year. I noticed she had on a brand new pair of glasses for her 'press conference' on her first day back to work. I bet if she was being fined for each day that she refuses to do her job, her tune would change really quick. :moo:

I find your statement a little insulting. Some of us here are FOR EQUAL RIGHTS UNDER THE CONSTITUTION for all human beings no matter their race, religion or sexual orientation. I don't think any of this is FUNNY- either.

I have many gay friends who have wanted to commit suicide, at different times in their young lives because of the way people like KD treat them and what is said about them. I also have black people in my family by marriage.

You can imagine how THAT went over with my older Mormon family members. None of this is funny.

The humor- in regards to KD outfits is, however- a welcome relief actually. I don't know anyone who has wanted to commit suicide over a bad outfit or hairday.

Rant over.

I've seen many that have changed the stance on this issue.

I support equal treatment for all in our society. I see absolutely no harm that comes from equal rights. In fact I feel it is humanitarian to treat all with dignity and respect. When someone that just wants happiness, is shunned and treated different by many, imagine how that effects their mental health and well being. That discrimination is harmful to those that fall into that segment in our society.

There are many other things the church preaches or used to preach that are no longer applicable in this day and age. We have moved away from a lot of those things for obvious reasons. When looking back at history as women and minorities gained equal, rights there was just as many screaming on both sides at that time period.

There are still groups out there that don't like that women or African Americans have equal rights, such as the KKK. These are known as hate groups now. Although these hate groups are still given the right to freedom of speech, they are not allowed to "act" on their beliefs.
I couldn't have said this better myself. :goodpost:

No, what's funny are all the Republicans that are still against it.

Is there even one current GOP presidential candidate in favor of marriage equality? Jeb Bush will come around soon, I have a feeling.

Rant over.

Hi Frigga,
I also grew up in a Mormon family..."behind the iron veil," so to speak. My brother also committed suicide, and I have a gay sister, and I share personal, serious feelings about this topic.

Hugs to you from me!

Bluegrass music!

My dad's horse when I was growing up, Socks, was a fine Kentucky foxtrotter who was a hard-working federal government employee and loved everyone with no regard for sexual preference. And I'm pretty sure he only got paid in oats and apples and nose-rubs and flank-pats.

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/16/17_biblical_rules_for_marriage_the_kim_davis_set_chooses_to_ignore/

If Kentucky issues only biblical marriage licenses, to which of the following couples should a county clerk grant a license?

8. A soldier and a virgin prisoner of war. Yes, but you should provide written instructions on the purification ritual required before bedding her. The soldier must shave her head and trim her nails and give her a month to mourn her parents before the first sex act. Also, remind him that if she fails to “delight,” he must set her free rather than selling her. (Deuteronomy 21:10-14)

9. A rapist and his victim. Yes, with qualifiers. The woman’s consent is not an issue, but her father should be present as he is owed 50 shekels (approximately $580) for the damage to his daughter. Also, the contract should have an addendum stating clearly that no divorce will be allowed. The rapist must keep her for life since, obviously, no one else will want the damaged goods. (Deuteronomy 22:28-29)

10. A man and his wife’s indentured/undocumented servant. Yes, although you might remind the man that in this case a marriage license is not a prerequisite for sex, since community property laws apply. However, should God bless this union with babies, any offspring will belong to the man and his wife, not the indentured woman. (Genesis 30:1-22)

Rant over.

rsbm

I have no doubt whatsoever that there are some who have committed suicide over being bullied about clothing and hair too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back