Found Deceased KY - Savannah Spurlock, 22, left 'The Other Bar' with 2 men, Richmond, 4 Jan 2019 #5 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LE should be held responsible too for faults. Detectives didnt spot the blood in the closet in their prior search.

It's kind of a big deal to look over things like this all while a body was in the backyard. We are talking paid professionals here.

32° Fahrenheit
When the temperature of the ground drops below 0° Celsius (32° Fahrenheit), it freezes. However, the ground temperature can be different from the temperature of the air above it. Layers deep within the ground may be colder or warmer than layers near the surface of the ground.
How Does Frozen Ground Form? | National Snow and Ice Data Center

Yes, starting around 4 feet below ground the temperature remains a constant 50-55 degrees, whether it's winter or summer.
So at 19 inches it would probably be colder in the winter and warmer in the summer. Imo

32° Fahrenheit
When the temperature of the ground drops below 0° Celsius (32° Fahrenheit), it freezes. However, the ground temperature can be different from the temperature of the air above it. Layers deep within the ground may be colder or warmer than layers near the surface of the ground.

What I posted are actual soil temperatures as read by using a soil probe

I'm quite familiar with soil temps as a commercial farmer

which is why I found it interesting

The ground was nowhere near frozen at the time in question IMO

Thanks, Julia, for posting that. I looked but for some reason couldn't find the temperatures for that month.
It makes sense that the ground would not be frozen yet, since it takes many days of freezing temperatures before it starts to freeze. Same for thawing out in the Spring.
So after that, there were probably not many days with above freezing temperatures for a couple of months.
I did find average temperatures for April and May, and it seems it still gets very cold there at night.
So it actually makes sense that although very slow, the decomposition process would resume once the temperatures got warmer.
At least this guy was dumb enough to make sure it would be easier for the pathologist to determine exactly what happened to her, depending on the condition of the body. Imo

It sounds like they’re going to be able to find a lot on him. These are the only types of instances that I celebrate someone’s stupidity lol.

Thank you - this one thing has nagged at me and now I can see why he could have dug the grave - poor girl. I'm betting they also traced the trash bags back to him - I truly hope there is a COD - JMO
If there was any blunt force trauma I'm pretty sure they will be able to tell, no matter what condition the body is in. Imo

Also I wonder when the initial searches of the property with SAR dogs were conducted? as it seems soil temps started to get in the freezing range fairly shortly after and by the end of January the ground was likely very hard JMO

Last edited:

Yeah, I'm interested in all that stuff too. How long do you think it would take the ground to warm up once the temperatures get up into the 60's or 70's, but still getting around freezing at night?
In New York it still can be in the thirties at night in May, but I don't know if that's true in that area. Imo

Savannah Spurlock's body was found naked and bound in trash bags thrown in a shallow grave | Daily Mail Online

The body of missing Kentucky mother of four, Savannah Spurlock was found naked, bound, bundled into trash bags and buried in a shallow grave behind property belonging to the parents of the man now charged in connection to her disappearance.

David Sparks, 23, appeared in Garrard District Court this morning for a preliminary hearing at which these and other disturbing new details emerged.

[...]

Sparks arrived in court, small, lean shackled and handcuffed. He took his seat without making eye contact with Savannah's father, Cecil, 54, his fiancée, CLW, or the young mother's friends who sat by his side.

Cecil Spurlock had arrived clutching a photograph of himself with his daughter.

Kentucky State Police Detective Tyler Chamings described the 'clandestine grave' in which Savannah was found on July 10.

It was, he said, at its deepest point approximately 19 inches deep and the black plastic in which her naked body was wrapped could be seen at points without disturbing the ground.

She had been placed 'in multiple black trash bags, was unclothed and her feet were bound with tape.' He described her as being in an 'unnatural orientation' in that her 'head and feet were in the same position. She had been folded in half.'

ETA: Name privacy edit by me.

I still can't help but wonder if the other two truly may have been clueless, as in they left before anything nefarious happened? It seems it would make a lot more sense if only one knew what happened rather than all three.

We speculated from the beginning that we couldn't believe that LE couldn't get at least one to crack.

You know what they say about three people keeping a secret.....

Savannah Spurlock's body was found naked and bound in trash bags thrown in a shallow grave | Daily Mail Online

The body of missing Kentucky mother of four, Savannah Spurlock was found naked, bound, bundled into trash bags and buried in a shallow grave behind property belonging to the parents of the man now charged in connection to her disappearance.

David Sparks, 23, appeared in Garrard District Court this morning for a preliminary hearing at which these and other disturbing new details emerged.

[...]

Sparks arrived in court, small, lean shackled and handcuffed. He took his seat without making eye contact with Savannah's father, Cecil, 54, his fiancée, CLW, or the young mother's friends who sat by his side.

Cecil Spurlock had arrived clutching a photograph of himself with his daughter.

Kentucky State Police Detective Tyler Chamings described the 'clandestine grave' in which Savannah was found on July 10.

It was, he said, at its deepest point approximately 19 inches deep and the black plastic in which her naked body was wrapped could be seen at points without disturbing the ground.

She had been placed 'in multiple black trash bags, was unclothed and her feet were bound with tape.' He described her as being in an 'unnatural orientation' in that her 'head and feet were in the same position. She had been folded in half.'

ETA: Name privacy edit by me.
Well, that explains the unnatural position. I'm assuming he folded the body in order to make it fit better in the rug or the hole that he dug. Sounds like he didn't do a very good job. Imo

Yeah, I'm interested in all that stuff too. How long do you think it would take the ground to warm up once the temperatures get up into the 60's or 70's, but still getting around freezing at night?
In New York it still can be in the thirties at night in May, but I don't know if that's true in that area. Imo

By April first the ground would have been at a constant 50 degrees probably even at that 18-20" range. By may mid 60's and by june 70's and currently it shows upper 70's

The only thing I can figure is that being likely taped and sealed with various trash bags may have significantly slowed the decomposition process and or concealed the smell

JMO

Last edited:
I’m also really getting the feeling the other two men had no idea what ended up happening... I think at a certain point they realized what had maybe happened but had no real info to crack upon police questioning.

Just when we think it can’t get worse, it does.:mad::mad::mad:

However, doesn’t the part that you bolded supply a possible explanation for the smell being noticed so late? If some scavenging animal noticed a little smell and clawed a hole in the plastic, then there’d suddenly be a lot of smell, I’d think.

The plastic might even have been exposed because some animal was digging.

This sheds some light on the original story that was given to investigators by DS himself.

Maybe the other two did really point the finger at DS originally and they wern't in fact covering for each other

"When interviewed by detectives back in January, Sparks had told them that he and the other men had gone back to his house with Savannah.

They left but he and Savannah remained. He claimed that she went to sleep in his bedroom while he slept on the couch.

When he woke mid-morning he said that she asked him where she was apparently so she could arrange transport home.

He claimed to have fallen asleep and that, when he woke again around noon, she had gone. He said she was uninjured when she did.

But today Det. Chamings revealed that Sparks had visited his parents' home twice on the night of the 4th and in the early hours of the 5th of January."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8xbet81bet