Identified! KY - Simpson Co, WhtFem UP71, 25-35, off I-65, rose tattoo, Oct'01 - Dawn Clare Plonsky Wilkerson

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
She has been identified as Dawn Clare Plonsky Wilkerson, 45 of Nashville

Kentucky State Police identify cold case victim from 2001
Kentucky State Police identify cold case victim from 2001
7YYSH5A5VRF4FHWCULVJYAK6T4.JPG

Kentucky State Police Identify Cold Case Victim From 2001(WBKO)
By WBKO News Staff
Published: Jul. 30, 2021 at 5:11 AM UTC|Updated: 2 hours ago

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (WBKO) - Kentucky State Police have identified the victim of a cold case death investigation from 2001.

On October 9, 2001, Kentucky State Police initiated the death investigation after human remains were found at the 12-mile marker of I-65 in Simpson County.

During that time, no leads were available and the identity of the remains was unknown.

According to authorities, they identified the suspect as Dawn Clare Plonsky Wilkerson, 45 of Nashville.

ADVERTISEMENT
The investigation is ongoing.

Copyright 2021 WBKO. All rights reserved.

There is another article where they give kudos for the DDP

KSP identifies cold case victim from 2001
By Tom Kenny
July 30, 2021

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (WTVQ) – Decomposed human remains found along I-65 in Simpson County nearly twenty-years ago, have finally been identified, according to Kentucky State Police.

Through years of investigation and with help from the DNA Doe Project, KSP identified the victim as 45-year old Dawn Clare Plonsky Wilkerson, of Nashville, Tennessee.

Her remains were found at mile marker 12 along I-65 on October 9, 2001.

Investigators are asking anyone with information in the case to contact KSP Post 3 at 270-782-2010.
KSP identifies cold case victim from 2001 - ABC 36 News

“Every time we have identified a candidate, it’s very bittersweet, because while we’ve possibly solved the case, there’s also a family now that that starts to deal with a whole other level of grieving and mourning because they’ve got the answers,” says Franchesca Werden, with the DNA Doe Project.

Missy Koski also with the DNA Doe Project spoke on getting contacted by law enforcement.

“Kentucky State Police contacted the DNA Doe project to see if there was anything that we could do to help, to help them identify this Jane Doe. Kentucky State Police actually were able to come up with their own funds, and they funded this case,” says Koski.

Jane Doe was later identified as Dawn Clare Plonsky Wilkerson.

“The highest matches that they got were in probably the third cousin range, or further back. So what that meant was that the doe and the DNA match shared great, great grandparents,” added Werden.

The mission of the DNA Doe Project is to use genetic genealogy to identify John and Jane Doe’s.

Werden spoke on the process, “a DNA sample will be taken from a John or Jane Doe and it goes through a sometimes very long process.

So DNA has to be extracted from a bone or a tooth or something the remains, once a DNA, the DNA sample has been extracted, it goes through whole-genome sequencing, which is a little bit different than when somebody will take a direct to consumer DNA test. In this case, it’s been two decades, it’s almost 20 years before they even knew what happened and that’s really the motivating factor is we can’t bring that family member back, but we can help to provide some answers.”

The non-profit is made up of volunteers who do genealogical research.

Koski also says, “every case is completely different. But it really keeps us going, knowing that maybe, hopefully, we can give them some answers, and if we can return their actual name, then their family gets some closure. They know what happened to their loved one. We’re so happy for Dawn’s family. We don’t know her circumstances, we don’t know everything that happened. But, but we’re very sad for what happened to her. But we’re so happy that we could help law enforcement and bring closure to this family.”
DNA Doe Project helps KSP identify victim in 20-year-old cold case

I am so moved that Dawn was identified! Is she the first Kentucky case to be solved through GG?

I contacted Captain Tim Green, who used to be the detective on her case, about 3 years ago, telling him about DDP, and he was very nice and receptive. He thanked me for making him aware of the group and said he would ask the lab if this was something they could do for Jane Doe. He clearly cared a lot. No idea if my email helped much but I hope it did.

It's so surreal and amazing that she has finally been identified! RIP Dawn and may you receive justice <3 Hoping we see more Kentucky unidentified persons get their names restored this year!

Last edited:
I am so moved that Dawn was identified! Is she the first Kentucky case to be solved through GG?

I contacted Captain Tim Green, who used to be the detective on her case, about 3 years ago, telling him about DDP, and he was very nice and receptive. He thanked me for making him aware of the group and said he would ask the lab if this was something they could do for Jane Doe. He clearly cared a lot. No idea if my email helped much but I hope it did.

It's so surreal and amazing that she has finally been identified! RIP Dawn and may you receive justice <3 Hoping we see more Kentucky unidentified persons get their names restored this year!
I too hope that more KY UID are identified! They all mean a great deal to me. Thank you for reaching out to the various agencies. I dream of one day having seeing that ALL the UIDs have been identified.

I'm away from my notes, so I can't remember offhand if Dawn is the first KY Doe to be identified through GG....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back