KY KY - Williamstown, Grant Co, off KY 22 W of Dry Ridge, WhtMale 25-39, UP86, GSW, Hands Cut Off, In Tobacco Barn, Ext Dental Wk "Perfect Smile", Apr'89

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think the matches are oftentimes better on FamilyTreeDNA. My highest match (and I have a similar background to GC Doe) on FamilyTreeDNA is 68 cm higher than on GEDMatch.

My highest matches are roughly the same on both, but I think the biggest difference is that GEDmatch is opt-in (you have to specifically decide you want LE matching) whilst FTDNA is opt-out - you have to specifically go into your settings to switch LE matching off. It's on by default when you upload. This means that there are a lot of people who probably never go into their settings and have no idea LE matching is on. Which I think is a little sneaky, but does mean that LE/DDP/etc probably have a bigger database to work with in FTDNA.

He has 943 matches and sadly, only 1 is over 30. Hopefully, there are more close matches in FamilyTree DNA or the right person will enter into a Gedmatch system. I think it happened with Butler County John Doe (Ohio) his highest match was just 39 cM till this April, when he got a match of 171 cM

Is there any names on rule out list on his Names page? Charley Project added some updates on Steven Hafer page and he looks strikingly similar to Grant Co John Doe, was he ruled out?

Is there any names on rule out list on his Names page? Charley Project added some updates on Steven Hafer page and he looks strikingly similar to Grant Co John Doe, was he ruled out?
The following have been ruled out:
Christopher Winkler
Jerry Plaster
Harvey Kays

I added Steven to this list I sent to the ME. I’ve not heard back from her. I really think this could be Jeffrey Gerald, so I submitted him to both the ME and Doe Network. I’ve not heard anything about him either.

The following have been ruled out:
Christopher Winkler
Jerry Plaster
Harvey Kays

I added Steven to this list I sent to the ME. I’ve not heard back from her. I really think this could be Jeffrey Gerald, so I submitted him to both the ME and Doe Network. I’ve not heard anything about him either.
Thank you for answering, I am surprised Steven Hafer is not on the rule out list, as he went missing from the same state just a month before Grant co John Doe was found.

The fact you did not receive any answer, gives me hope that may be DDP had identified him before you sent an email (but i am used to be too optimistic)

Last edited:
Thank you for answering, I am surprised Steven Hafer is not on the rule out list, as he went missing from the same state just a month before Grant co John Doe was found.

The fact you did not receive any answer, gives me hope that may be DDP had identified him before you sent an email (but i am used to be too optimistic)
Yeah! I’m usually a tad more patient when it comes to cases being handled by DDP and such. Just a tad though, :D , the waiting is the hardest!

Probably an indication of German descent, that usually shows as high amount of "Baltic" admix in Gedmatch. Does not normally mean the person was Latvian, Estonian or Lithuanian.

It would not surprise me if a great number of Pennsylvania Dutch have "Baltic" admix. Historic Baltic Germans were very religious, some living in areas that were once owned by the Holy See. Also, having one's hands cut off really reminds me of ol'timey justice. Makes me think this could be a guy from the Amish country of Pennsylvania, Indiana or Ohio.

I am waiting for his FTDNA to be added to the spreadsheet, at the moment the status is "Not uploaded to Family Tree DNA", I wonder why, as his highest match on Gedmatch is only 37.3 cM.

I wouldn't be surprised if he had some German descent either given those results. I'm about 75% German (specifically, PA Dutch) - along with 1/8 Slovene and 1/8 British and Welsh, mind you - and the Eurogenes K13 admixture calculator on GEDMatch scores me at about 25% Baltic ancestry, despite me not knowing of any ancestors that came from the Baltic region.
eurogenes k13.PNG
Grant County John Doe looks to have about 1/3 Baltic ancestry here, eyeballing it.
grant.jpg
His specific mix, though, is almost surely much different than mine considering he looks to have much more Mediterranean ancestry and much less North Atlantic ancestry than me. Not too familiar with how admixtures would align with particular ethnic groups, admittedly, but is it possible that Grant County John Doe could have some Italian or Eastern European ancestry as well to account for the difference?

Joan has posted the explanation why some of the cases were not added to the FTDNA. Grant Co John Doe sadly is one of these cases. I believe in his case it can be either due to the fact that it costs DDP 700 $ to upload each case to the FTDNA and he is a DDP fund case or he has been already identified (which I doubt). There can be other reasons as well.

I feel there’s nothing more I can do to help return your name to you now, but I know you’re in great hands. I feel we will call you by name soon. That will be a wonderful day!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces
Back