LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
With LE being on to him and watching, they most likely "manufactured" something to pull him over: no turn signal, weaving, didn't stop at a stop sign, tail light out, etc. Once pulled over, the altered license came into play, or something regarding his RSO statis, enough to detain him.

It was said the person at the dealership copied his DL and gave it to LE. Them seeing the license whited out is enough grounds to issue a warrant. And with a warrant out they had every right to pull him over and arrest him.

With LE being on to him and watching, they most likely "manufactured" something to pull him over: no turn signal, weaving, didn't stop at a stop sign, tail light out, etc. Once pulled over, the altered license came into play, or something regarding his RSO statis, enough to detain him.

I am going strictly off what Cpl. Mouton said on the radio. The reporter directly asked him what the violation was that initiated the pull-over, and Mouton answered that it was a violation related to his RSO status - not a traffic violation.

Of course, that could be read quite broadly. Maybe there's something in the laws regarding RSOs that they can be pulled over for non-traffic reasons.

That would give LE a lot of latitude. Mouton did say that LPD was tipped off that he was on the move. Maybe there was something about his being on the road that allowed an arrest that they couldn't legally perform when he wasn't driving?

In bsl previous arrest, did he in fact do the same thing and asked for a lawyer, but eventually gave his side of the "story", do y'all think he will crack?? I sure hope so, mickey's family deserves the to know!!! :(

And driving the truck to Texas to burns it sets him up another problem - what's his alibi?

I think he was in a trap of his own making as soon as the truck was damaged.

And the dealership employee calling in the altered license proves that the CajunNet is alive and well - and may have solved the case.

It is not clear to me whether a GPS receiver was retrieved from the burned truck. Or, is the receiver is needed to track the vehicle's movements. If the answer to both is yes, leaving the receiver in the truck would be a major mistake.

Chicken can you post a link to cajunnet? Thanks!

CajunNet is a really old blog that almost everyone down here belongs to, and has for a couple hundred years. It is one of the few things faster than [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light"]Speed of light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame].

It was said the person at the dealership copied his DL and gave it to LE. Them seeing the license whited out is enough grounds to issue a warrant. And with a warrant out they had every right to pull him over and arrest him.

There you go - that's sort of what I was thinking.

Couyon move by BSL.

I'm from lafayette, and had no idea about this blog, I searched online for it and I'm coming to dead ends... Thanks for the info

If you're from Lafayette, you know that sometimes in the heat of summer, the only wind is provided from the flapping gums of Cajuns ;-)

That RSO type on the LA driver's license sure is a mark of Cain.

Bet in places like California, they wouldn't allow it (half of Hollywood probably would have it).

My one problem with it is that I think it's very unfair to force a 19-y.o. man who got with a 17-y.o. GF and the parents got mad... to carry that around with him for life. There's no diffferentiation between the license of a convicted gross offender like BSL, and the aforementioned 19-y.o. Seems very unfair and libelous and I'm surprised that the state hasn't been sued yet to better differentiate between technical violators and gross violators. Think how many times that 19-y.o. would have to explain why that's on his license, and how many people would look at him and think, "yeah, right - he molests 10-year-olds!"

If I were in that situation, I would sue the state to print the LEVEL of offense on the license - which they currently do NOT, or I would get a new license from Texas or Mississippi.

I am wondering how many of you listened to the 15-minute radio interview with Cpl. Paul Mouton on KPEL yesterday at 5:45p - at the height of the electrical storm?

I found it intriguing - wish I had taken notes. One thing that really stood out to me - and the reporter didn't follow up on - was that in describing how they settled on Lavergne, Mouton said something about how they already had Lavergne's license plate and so when the info from the dealership came in, it helped tie him in. It gave me the impression that they already had the plate from one of the videos.

But he said it so fast.... and lightning was crashing around my car - that I can't quite pinpoint the context. Did anyone else hear the interview?!?!? Mouton was saying that having the plate beforehand helped them ID Lavergne later.

Also, Mouton explained how once Lavergne was identified, LE sat on him for awhile - and then when he went to go back on- or off-shore on Thurs., another LE agency called LPD and told them that Lavergne was on the move. And so they were on the lookout for him, and saw him on I-49. He said that the traffic stop was initiated/authorized due to some problem with his RSO status that allowed a pull-over.

Did anyone catch what the problem with the RSO status was? Was it failure to register the new truck?

Forgive me if it's been discussed last night, but I'm not sure many of you caught the radio interview, and it was a good one.

I scoured the Kpel website and facebook pages and couldn't even find a hint of this interview.

Would love to hear it also.

If on Kpel at 5:45 it would have been during Jeremy Lawrence's "Afternoon Drive Home". Hopefully someone can help us out.

I am amazed they don't have any reference to it. Is it possible it was on another station?

It is not clear to me whether a GPS receiver was retrieved from the burned truck. Or, is the receiver is needed to track the vehicle's movements. If the answer to both is yes, leaving the receiver in the truck would be a major mistake.

If he went to the trouble to drive to Texas and burn the truck, I can't imagine at all that he would leave his GPS sitting on the dash. No way. Even a couyon like BSL wouldn't do that, or would make darn sure that it burned to a crisp. I'm thinking that all this GPS talk is based upon maybe the truck having a factory-installed black box that would keep location records.

I wouldn't think it does, because you'd think we'd have seen news stories about how our vehicles are tracking us.

The black box WOULD contain certain info... yes... but does anyone have info that it actually keeps GPS locations of your travels?

I don't know. This is still a big unanswered question for me - from the beginning. She should have been caught on HooptyCam, unless she was taken in the very short distance between Circle K and 216 St. Landry.

She could have been missed if the camera was not continuous feed but just took intermittent shots. Do we know that info?

That RSO type on the LA driver's license sure is a mark of Cain.

Bet in places like California, they wouldn't allow it (half of Hollywood probably would have it).

My one problem with it is that I think it's very unfair to force a 19-y.o. man who got with a 17-y.o. GF and the parents got mad... to carry that around with him for life. There's no diffferentiation between the license of a convicted gross offender like BSL, and the aforementioned 19-y.o. Seems very unfair and libelous and I'm surprised that the state hasn't been sued yet to better differentiate between technical violators and gross violators. Think how many times that 19-y.o. would have to explain why that's on his license, and how many people would look at him and think, "yeah, right - he molests 10-year-olds!"

If I were in that situation, I would sue the state to print the LEVEL of offense on the license - which they currently do NOT, or I would get a new license from Texas or Mississippi.

I completely agree. we should have better romeo and juliet laws in louisiana.

She could have been missed if the camera was not continuous feed but just took intermittent shots. Do we know that info?

I am pretty sure that A.C.I said it was continuous. A.C.I???

That said - it would be concidental that the hoopty was well centered in the photo if it were non-continuous -as well, the hoopty was almost certainly going faster than Mickey, and you'd think that if it could capture the hoopty, it would see Mickey at some point as well - unless - of course the hoopty pic happened to be snapped at just the right time.

BSL figured that LE would do the normal routine investigation for a missing person due to several factors; MS's age, no witnesses, no evidence of an abduction, etc. and after a few days, it would simply go away, as most do...as many others have in the past..

Imo, Brandon Lavergne, failed to comprehend the enormous investigative resources or the conflagration that he was about to ignite in Mickey's abduction/murder. After all he was much smarter than LE and had done this so many times before and perfected his evil craft, remaining stealth for years, IMO.. BSL was no stranger to the game..

(sorry for the CAPS-copy pasted-no time to retype)http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1101/01/se.07.html

BOB INGRAM OF THE GEORGIA BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION FEARS THAT AMERICA AND GEORGIA ARE PRODUCING MORE SERIAL KILLERS, MEN AND WOMEN WHO KILL SECRETLY OVER A PERIOD OF WEEKS, MONTHS, EVEN YEARS.

"IT'S AN ONGOING AND A GROWING PROBLEM, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT." SAYS INGRAM WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR INVESTIGATING MULTIPLE MURDERS FOR THE G.B.I. "SERIAL KILLERS ARE VERY DIFFICULT TO CATCH".

"THEY ARE VERY MUCH A TEXTBOOK TYPE OF KILLER. AND THEY WILL DEFINITELY FOOL YOU. IT IS LIKE THEY HAVE A 'MASK' BEHIND WHICH THEY CAN HIDE AND WILL

THEY EXHIBIT A TOTAL LACK OF COMPASSION, REMORSE OR GUILT FOR THEIR CRIMES AND MOST OFTEN, THE BLAME FOR THE CRIME IS SHIFTED TO THE VICTIM EVEN IF THE VICTIM WERE PICKED AT RANDOM.

THEY ARE VERY MUCH INTO GAME-PLAYING. PART OF THE KICK THEIR EGOS GET FROM THEIR CRIMES IS THE IDEA OF BEWILDERING POLICE. IT BECOMES A GAME OF, "SEE HOW SMART I AM AND HOW STUPID THE POLICE ARE."

MOST SERIAL KILLERS ARE SANE, NOT INSANE. THEY SUFFER FROM A PERSONALITY DISORDER, NOT A PSYCHOSIS. PSYCHOTICS, SEVERELY DISTURBED INDIVIDUALS WHO HAVE LOST CONTACT WITH REALITY, TEND TO LEAVE MANY CLUES AT THE CRIME SCENE; SERIAL KILLERS ON THE OTHER HAND, USUALLY LEAVE FEW OR NONE.

*AS A RULE, SERIAL KILLERS, PARTICULARLY SERIAL KILLERS, DO NOT CONFESS...

Hey CajunFried,

Regarding the repairs needed on the truck, he had to have a "sense of urgency" due to having to go offshore again. He had to take care of business quickly, no telling if the po po would be swarming his place while he was on a rig.

Remember, he has a history which includes appealing his conviction to the LA Supreme Court. He learned plenty during this time and the eight years in the pen pondering how he could have done a better job.

The better job includes destroying evidence, thus the fire and probably the unfortunate demise of dear Mickey.

I suspect he is scarred up from her struggle, and do wonder as someone previously mentioned earlier about what the facial hair may be covering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkipTracer-tg