LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have serious doubts about BSL's mental issues are stemming from his military service. I think the way we treat our veterans is deplorable, considering what they give up for our country. I do think they need to be a little more careful as to whom they select to be in the service. I'm sure, at times, they feel they have to take who they can get, because who would want sign their life away, only to be denied basic veteran services upon returning from wherever. Sorry, but a guy like BSL should not be representing this country! There should be enough evaluations to weed out sociopaths like him.

There is evaluations that weed out psychopaths in the military, and they are eventually weeded out, then released on society after training...
Research Gary M. Hilton; serial killer who said, 'I am a hunter, a professional, a soldier on a perpetual mission'..He was special forces trained, yet when he applied for Green Beret, was identified as a psychopath and honorably released to prey on society for decades...

I'm not sure he was trying to pretend it was the same truck. After all, he told the dealership his other one was stolen. You'd htink that he'd think that once the burned truck was found, they would come talk to him - and then does he want to have that GPS? Would there be a good reason at all to keep that GPS? I can't think of one benefit for him of keeping that GPS, but maybe I am overlooking some benefit?

One thing - I wonder if he filed a police report about the stolen truck?! That's a huge puzzle piece.

i don't think he thought they'd trace the burned truck back to him. i think he thought it would burn and with it all evidence of it ever being his truck

But he would have to be completely nuts to be found in possession of a GPS unit that was last reported seen in a stolen truck. If he were found with that GPS, it would show that HE burned the truck - and then game over, wouldn't it?

Me thinks you may be giving him more credit than he deserves. I believe in his mind the GPS unit was something he bought separate from the truck (or maybe someone bought it for him, or it belonged to his company, or whatever) and he did not want to gothrough the hassle of buying another GPS unit. I believe that he had no idea that it was trackable. If you use one, it really does not seem like it is recording anything, it feels like it is only real-time. I bet 90% of people who use GPS do not realize that it is trackable. Many people take their GPS in and out of vehicles and put it in other vehicles, so it is really NOT part of the truck. Therefore before he burned the truck he probably took out his personal possessions and burned the truck to get rid of any evidence. The GPS lives on hopefully to tell the tale.

I think maybe she was caught on "HooptyCam" (love it) and those pics just weren't released as LE didn't want DWT driver to know they had pretty much narrowed down where she was hit and then taken and that apparently there's other footage of DWT cruising around town in the areas around UL cruising for a victim. That would have been pretty scary for students and parents.

You may use "HooptyCam" if you like. I don't feel like filing the paperwork for the trademark.

Just send me a dollar at:

Chicken Fried
123 Cold Beer St.
Friday Night, LA, 45678

And by no means am I trying to stereotype our military personnel... I want to sincerely apologize if anyone has taken it that way.

If he went to the trouble to drive to Texas and burn the truck, I can't imagine at all that he would leave his GPS sitting on the dash. No way. Even a couyon like BSL wouldn't do that, or would make darn sure that it burned to a crisp. I'm thinking that all this GPS talk is based upon maybe the truck having a factory-installed black box that would keep location records.

I wouldn't think it does, because you'd think we'd have seen news stories about how our vehicles are tracking us.

The black box WOULD contain certain info... yes... but does anyone have info that it actually keeps GPS locations of your travels?

Maybe he didn't use a GPS device, but had GPS on his phone. That might explain why LE stated that they seized his cell phone (besides the cell tower pings) when they arrested him.

But he would have to be completely nuts to be found in possession of a GPS unit that was last reported seen in a stolen truck. If he were found with that GPS, it would show that HE burned the truck - and then game over, wouldn't it?

Who is in possession of the burned truck? A salvage yard?

i don't know. i'm just tossing those ideas around. i think he just panicked after his crime and in a hurried frenzy tried to get rid of the evidence, but not necessarily in the smartest way possible. i'm not convinced in any particular way, but just throwing out possibilities

Not sure if I understand you last paragraph.. IMO, for her to have been thrown onto the hood, there would have had to be a high speed differential. I don't think he would have wanted to hit her that hard. He seems to enjoy live victims. Also, I am struck by the info in his 1999 arrest that the victim told him she was a virgin and he said "I'm not going to take that from you." I'm saying that BSL seems to be a conflicted guy who still has a certain part of decency operating - but which gets overshadowed. The fact that he showed a certain amount of care for his earlier victim tells me that he likely wouldn't have tried to hit her hard enough to kill her - instead, hard enough to get her off her bike.

That's just my opinion, and maybe I'm off base. I don't see him as totally out of control....which to me would be hitting her hard enough to throw her up onto the truck and maybe kill her outright from the impact - but out of control enough to do this.

Re: Whiskey Bay.... I have never thought she was put there. The water is too shallow there near the bank, and he wouldn't have been able to get her out into the main channel, and I do think she would have been found. JMO.

If she were stopped, impact from the truck going 15-20mph would have more than likely (assuming truck does not break until impact), would have put Mickey on the hood of the truck. Increase speed of the truck or Mickey and she would have been on the windshield or possibly over the truck. Bumping her up onto the hood would not have killed her, unless she rolled off and hit her head just right. If these cameras are really live feed, I can't understand this happening in front of circle k and LE releasing the picture of impact. But, who knows. BSL knows what they know! That's why he burned his truck! Maybe impact was further down. We'll know one day. I just want Mickey to be home!

There is evaluations that weed out psychopaths in the military, and they are eventually weeded out, then released on society after training...
Research Gary M. Hilton; serial killer who said, 'I am a hunter, a professional, a soldier on a perpetual mission'..He was special forces trained, yet when he applied for Green Beret, was identified as a psychopath and honorably released to prey on society for decades...
Good thing we trained him first! Too bad this wasn't identified beforehand!

One of the questions posed by a journalist in the last couple of days was whether the Death Penalty would be considered in Brandon Lavergne's prosecution..

I'd smile while pulling the switch myself, but: 'Food for thought'

Death Penalty Sentences are seldom carried out, and the prisoner dies of natural causes. They are very costly to the State compared to life w/o parole, used by the Justice system to falsely apease the public, and provides many perks to the Offender/Felon.

*Automatic appeals
*Extra Security for DP Prisoner
*Private Cell/Segregated from general population/no hard labor
*Interviews by media/authors, etc.(notoriety)
*Field trips in the case of serial killers/remains locations(Gary Ridgeway/Henry Lee Lucas)
*Most times an appeals court Judge will commute the sentence to Life once the media focus is lifted.

http://www.lpb.org/programs/LApublicsqua....earofEvent=2007

While some states have limited use of the death penalty, others, including Texas, Virginia, Missouri, Georgia and Utah, are considering expanding the law to mandate the death penalty in certain cases or to expand the definition of a capital crime. Currently, Texas leads the nation with 383 executions since the reinstatement of the death penalty in 1976. Louisiana stands at 27 executions since the reinstatement, and ranks ninth in the nation for the number of executions per capita. Even though Louisiana has 88 people on death row, the state has not executed anyone since 2002.

To me, just driving the truck to Texas showed a level of planning. Also, he had a long drive to think about what he was doing. If the GPS burned up with the truck, it would cover his tracks better, just my way of thinking. On the other hand, the GPS unit being missing could be explained by a thief stripping the truck...
Which leads me to his problem: a burned "stolen" truck is more believable if it has been stripped - rims, etc.

Unless he had an accomplice - which opens up a can of worms - how would he make the truck look stripped? And how did he get from where the truck was found back home?

Did he walk back out to the road and hitchhike? Hitchhiking to me seems like about the only way to do it..... unless he took a bike to Texas and used it to get away from where the truck was found. Just brainstorming here....

Then the issue - once again - is, was Mickey seen at 216 St. Landry and LE kept that quiet, or did she never cross that point?

A collision and abduction between Circle K and there seems a bit much for me.... such a bust.

Jumping off your post here to ask a question of the locals:

One of the earliest reports following the arrest stated that LPD used video surveillance from the Advertiser in building a case against BSL. Where is this building located in relation to the pics of Mickey and DWT? What could be the relevance of that video - IDing the license of the truck? Trying to judge BSL's escape route from the area?

I've also read speculation about how BSL returned to LA from TX after burning his truck. Wouldn't his insurance provide him some kind of loaner when he reported his truck stolen?

There aren't that many missing/murdered people in Lafayette or the surrounding areas. The only ones I know offhand (I live in this area) are the "Jennings 8" murders.

Yesterday, someone mentioned being in BR and wanting to go to the Whiskey Bay exit. It's interesting to note that Derrick Todd Lee dumped Carrie Yoder and Pam Kinamore at the boat launch over there. Anyways, the place isn't dangerous during daytime, but it will be crawling with fishermen at this time of year.

Bolded by me. But look on over into SE Texas, and there are a LOT of missing women & unsolved murders of women. And there are some in Louisiana I'd like him checked out in just in case, since apparently he got around for work: Vicky Perez, missing from Alexandria in March of 2011- http://identifyla.lsu.edu/profile.php?id=601; Dorothy Rosier, missing from Pineville in 2010- http://identifyla.lsu.edu/profile.php?id=584, and Shema Stevens, missing from Shreveport since 2010- http://identifyla.lsu.edu/profile.php?id=620. And there's at least one young, pretty girl missing from the Algiers Point area of New Orleans, close to Gretna, where his secondary work address is- Leslie Morgan- [ame="http://helpfindthemissing.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22986"]Leslie Morgan, 27, Missing Since 9/26/10, New Orleans, LA - Help Find The Missing[/ame].

I don't think BSL necessarily has a type other than female and potentially vulnerable (asleep in their beds, riding their bikes, alone late at night, etc) and perhaps smaller than him.
I hope he's being checked in relation to all of these, as well as endangered runaways from south Louisiana, who for all we know, hitchiked and he gave them a ride...

I don't necessarily think this was his first time doing something like this. He just picked a girl who unbeknowst to him, would garner a LOT more attention that other cases often get and more community involvement.

wait-ACI was a paid PI on this case-who hired & fired him
I did not know this info

Glad you missed all that drama ;)
And I dont think that's the tips Abdella had. I think that was LE only. Abdella had descriptions, not names, and I know who he was going around talking to and asking about because it was people I already spoke with and leads I was already on. they called to tell me when he showed up asking questions. But maybe he had the info on BSL as well. I dont know.

It's bothering me that he would have to get from where the truck was burned back to civilization to get on a bus.... unless he had a partner. Cpl. Mouton's words on the DNA yesterday in the radio interview were interesting. He said that they had a LOT of work left to do - he specifically mentioned DNA that they had but still had to match it to someone. Reading between the lines.... maybe they found some DNA that was not in a database - possibly an accomplice.

Jumping off your post here to ask a question of the locals:

One of the earliest reports following the arrest stated that LPD used video surveillance from the Advertiser in building a case against BSL. Where is this building located in relation to the pics of Mickey and DWT? What could be the relevance of that video - IDing the license of the truck? Trying to judge BSL's escape route from the area?

I've also read speculation about how BSL returned to LA from TX after burning his truck. Wouldn't his insurance provide him some kind of loaner when he reported his truck stolen?
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&...tiser,+bertrand+drive,+lafayette,+la&ie=UTF-8

To me, just driving the truck to Texas showed a level of planning. Also, he had a long drive to think about what he was doing. If the GPS burned up with the truck, it would cover his tracks better, just my way of thinking. On the other hand, the GPS unit being missing could be explained by a thief stripping the truck...
Which leads me to his problem: a burned "stolen" truck is more believable if it has been stripped - rims, etc.

Unless he had an accomplice - which opens up a can of worms - how would he make the truck look stripped? And how did he get from where the truck was found back home?

Did he walk back out to the road and hitchhike? Hitchhiking to me seems like about the only way to do it..... unless he took a bike to Texas and used it to get away from where the truck was found. Just brainstorming here....

is it possible that texas is where he needed to be to ship out for work?

It's bothering me that he would have to get from where the truck was burned back to civilization to get on a bus.... unless he had a partner. Cpl. Mouton's words on the DNA yesterday in the radio interview were interesting. He said that they had a LOT of work left to do - he specifically mentioned DNA that they had but still had to match it to someone. Reading between the lines.... maybe they found some DNA that was not in a database - possibly an accomplice.
Chicken, have you contacted KPEL to ask if they're going to upload the audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne