LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Grand Juries basically listen to the prosecution present a portion of their case, just enough to try for the indictments. The defense does not get a chance to participate, so generally, the charges will stand, unless they are ridiculous, IMO. I think LE will able to show that it is logical that Mickey is not alive, since they should be able to show A: that he kidnapped her, possibly after hitting her with his truck B: that she was never seen again C: some of whatever other evidence they have, including how they know he was at WB where the bike was found

The Grand Jury is not convicting him, just agreeing with the prosecution, that yes, there is reason to believe that the charges have not been made in haste or without reason.

JMO

Thanks for answering. When they first charged him, I was wondering if the capital murder charge was made in hopes that he'd talk in exchange for a lesser charge. Can they really do that in real life? :) Use charges as strategy?

The wound was mostly healed (scar formation), and as a woman she may have felt it rude to ask about something that was disfiguring. JMO

Not here in Louisiana!! I was a hairstylist for many years and the first thing I and the girls in the shop would have asked was WTH happened?? As cajuns+hairstylist=very nosey!!! LOL

Until he is found guilty in a court of law the only conviction that I know of that we have is him pleading guilty to the oral sexual battery charge in order to not be tried for ??breaking & entering?? (don't recall now what it was). Am I missing some convictions somewhere? Thanks!

I read also he pleaded guilty to the sexual event so he would not be tried for breaking and entering. I have found no charges anywhere on arson.

IDTS? I (sheepishly) don't know what that means. :)

It took me forever to figure out LE and DWT. haha New here... and pretty sucky at remembering acronyms.
I understand; took me a while to catch on to acronyms also :waitasec::waitasec:
IDTS- I Don't Think So
DWT - Darn White Truck which was VOI - Vehicle of Interest
LEO - Law Enforcement Officer

Welcome, Glad you're here.

No, you aren't missing any convictions. But, he set fire to his truck, so we know he has no problem setting fires. Other fires have reportedly been linked to him, though he hasn't been convicted of anything.

There is no proof yet he set his truck on fire.

Thanks for answering. When they first charged him, I was wondering if the capital murder charge was made in hopes that he'd talk in exchange for a lesser charge. Can they really do that in real life? :) Use charges as strategy?

I'm not sure if they would make a formal charge as a strategy; they have to have evidence in order to charge. But that doesn't mean that they would not pretend to use it, in a way, when talking to him. But he is not talking to police at all, so it doesn't seem to matter at this point, unless it comes up as some sort of a plea down the road, to tell where her body is, in exchange for life in prison.

I don't think he will admit to anything, personally. I know he made a plea in the other case, but murder is different. But I hope I am wrong and he will at least tell where he put Mickey.

Sooo frustrating!! I have 14 RSO's within a 1 mile radius of my home and the sad thing is that there is both an elementary and middle school directly behind my home. Now it's one thing if a 18 year old boy has a 16 year old gf and parents get mad yada yada. But that is only the case in 2 of the 14 RSO's in my area! 7 of them (50%) have charges involving juveniles and only 2 of them are listed as Tier 3. The only two that are listed as Tier 3 are charged with rape and forcible rape. So IMO it has to be a VIOLENT attack to be considered a Tier 3 like BSL and there is no law (at least being enforced) that prevents them from living in school zones.

There is a law that states they have to be X ft. from schools. At least I thought there was. There is an SO in our area and when I received the notice I mapped his home to my gdtr's school and found he was out of range. I thought it was 1500 ft.??

I think she was 18.

ETA: I just saw that upthread someone said she was 19, so I may be incorrect. Either way, she was very young.

bbm: As BSL himself was at the time -- 20, I believe?

ETA: For clarity, just want to add that this post was in response to a post in which the age of the victim in BSL's earlier conviction was being discussed.

I read also he pleaded guilty to the sexual event so he would not be tried for breaking and entering. I have found no charges anywhere on arson.

I believe the arson (I've only heard of the one,) was committed when he was a juvenile and thus the records are closed.

There is a law that states they have to be X ft. from schools. At least I thought there was. There is an SO in our area and when I received the notice I mapped his home to my gdtr's school and found he was out of range. I thought it was 1500 ft.??

I thought I had posted this yesterday but maybe not:
http://www.lsp.org/socpr/registration.html#UNLAWFUL_PRESENCE

It's 1000 feet. But only when their victim was 13 years of age or younger. And for violating this, they only get $1000 fine and/or one year jail time with or without hard labor. A slap on the wrist.

I understand; took me a while to catch on to acronyms also :waitasec::waitasec:
IDTS- I Don't Think So
DWT - Darn White Truck which was VOI - Vehicle of Interest
LEO - Law Enforcement Officer

For months I thought BBM (bolded by moi) meant BlackBerry Messenger and was convinced there had to be an elusive Websleuths app. and that I was the only person in the world who couldn’t access it! :propeller:

Remember some time back there was an article about a woman who said a guy in a white truck had tried to pick her up. This supposedly happened before Mickey went missig but was reported afterward. I'm wondering now that BSL's photo has come out, if it was the same guy.

Sooo frustrating!! I have 14 RSO's within a 1 mile radius of my home and the sad thing is that there is both an elementary and middle school directly behind my home. Now it's one thing if a 18 year old boy has a 16 year old gf and parents get mad yada yada. But that is only the case in 2 of the 14 RSO's in my area! 7 of them (50%) have charges involving juveniles and only 2 of them are listed as Tier 3. The only two that are listed as Tier 3 are charged with rape and forcible rape. So IMO it has to be a VIOLENT attack to be considered a Tier 3 like BSL and there is no law (at least being enforced) that prevents them from living in school zones.

Now it's one thing if a 18 year old boy has a 16 year old gf is it? if he's found guilty he is tarnished for life. Non-violent crimes such as consensual sex between teenagers, prostitution, and public urination, are all on the RSO list.

Remember some time back there was an article about a woman who said a guy in a white truck had tried to pick her up. This supposedly happened before Mickey went missig but was reported afterward. I'm wondering now that BSL's photo has come out, if it was the same guy.

I don't have a source link to give, but that has been discussed and the girl described the man as in his 50's or 60's.

I don't think so because she said he was in his 50's and chubby and had grey hair.

i had a few thoughts this morning on this case and wanted to throw them out there... much is based on rumor which i know is not allowed here but my intent is not to spread these rumors... i have no inside information and have no relation to this case...

i thing the general opinion is this was carefully preplanned by the perp and that this victim was sexually assaulted, then carefully disposed of... i think that may not be the case here... i think she may not have been sexually assaulted (as planned) at all. if this opinion has been discussed here i have not seen it...

perp hits or otherwise abducts victim...
victim fights back once inside the truck and causes a serious neck injury to perp. causing massive blood loss, possible dizziness etc, and perp has to prematurely murder his victim at the abduction location...
perp returns to his house (body still in truck) to try to patch his wounds and stop the bleeding but needs immediate medical attention...
perp drives to another county to seek medical attention and hastefully disposes of bike/body along the way...
after being patched up, perp returns home...
then seeing the search effort is way more than he imagined, knowing he will be investigated because of his SO status, he starts to get spooked and comes up with the plan to dispose of his truck and comes up with the plan to dispose of it in the other direction (tx) and files to have his SO status lifted... etc...

again i do not know many of the details, but from what i have read, this sounds like a likely possibility...

If he did keep her, whether alive and bound or not, I think he would have put her under the trailer. If she was bound she wouldn't be able to get away. If she were not alive the animals couldn't get to her. He could have replaced the siding because either she was bound and could have tried to get out or been up against it leaving DNA or because he cut his neck on the sharpness of it getting to her. He wouldn't want that DNA in his house.

I am real curious if the police have had the thought to check for the old siding. Not sure this would go in the trash or some recycling place.

Now it's one thing if a 18 year old boy has a 16 year old gf is it? if he's found guilty he is tarnished for life. Non-violent crimes such as consensual sex between teenagers, prostitution, and public urination, are all on the RSO list.

I wish they would streamline the registry and get rid of things like that. If a 19 yr old has sex with his 16 yr old girlfriend, that does not mean he is a dangerous predator.

There are a few kids at our local high school who just got caught up in a very stupid 'sexting' incident. A 15 yr old girl stupidly sent pix of herself naked from the waist up, to her obnoxious boyfriend, who of course, sent it to his cell phone log.

But now the girl and her boyfriend are going to be registered Sex Offenders. Is that really necessary for 2 15 yr olds to be designated as dangerous sex offenders for life, after making a stupid adolescent mistake? Obviously, some accountability is necessary. But people like this are just going to muddy up the rolls of RSO's, imo. I don't think that poor girl is a danger to anyone but herself at this point. JMO

If he did keep her, whether alive and bound or not, I think he would have put her under the trailer. If she was bound she wouldn't be able to get away. If she were not alive the animals couldn't get to her. He could have replaced the siding because either she was bound and could have tried to get out or been up against it leaving DNA or because he cut his neck on the sharpness of it getting to her. He wouldn't want that DNA in his house.

I am real curious if the police have had the thought to check for the old siding. Not sure this would go in the trash or some recycling place.

It would not surprise me to find out that he put both the bike and Mickey under the trailer that night, then moved them later. That would explain why he might need a pressure washer and new skirting.
Everything he does seems to be reactive, rather than proactive. Once the incident happened, you would think he would have started cleaning up after himself instead of waiting until he heard on the news that LE had new information. It seems like everytime a new photo or clue came out, he did something like dumping the bike, or reporting his DWT stolen.

Don't know if this was posted here yet:
PER KLFY FB:
Tune into 5pm right now--New information in the arrest of Brandon Lavergne. At the same time he was taken into custody police were questioning his girlfriend. Details on TV-10 at 5pm.
https://www.facebook.com/KLFYTV10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member