LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It says he was treated "for his May 19th injuries," not that he was treated on May 19th. I couldn't find the day he was actually treated at Opelousas, did I miss it?

He could have sought treatment at Opelousas a day later, or a week later, and he'd still have to explain where he got the injuries, and that was on May 19th. Otherwise, he'd have to make up a new story about where the injuries came from. No matter when he got treatment, they're still his "May 19th injuries."

I did misread that and now notice that there is no date for this hospital visit - thanks for pointing that out. BUT....if he was using this as an "also" on the May 19th injuries why wouldn't the finger have been treated as well in NOLA? How could they treat the stab wounds and not the finger? Or do you think they referred him for other treatment/surgery on the finger at a location closer to his home?

I had a feeling that part of the story I was hearing was true. (the poison ivy/surgery thing at OG)

This is getting more interesting by the day.

Very confusing. I don't understand why he would go to two hospitals unless he had the poison ivy and finger treated first and then went home and recieved the stab injuries and then went on to New Orleans. That doesn't make sense either though.

It could account for police saying they know where he was during those hours.

He was a very busy man.

I think he was fully injured by the time he showed up at Ochsner. I think he left Ochsner, however, before being fully treated, due to the cops getting a bit suspicious of his story.

Going to NOLA was all about establishing some sort of alibi--whether believable or not, that's not the point--IMO.

So then he shows up at Opelousas General. He says he was injured in NOLA on May 19th and he reported it to LE there. Perhaps he even shows them proof of a police report. They ask no further questions on that, and just treat him for his injuries.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but this article (http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/20120715/NEWS01/120715001) states that there wasn't a GPS in the burned out truck. Is it not considered a fact that BSL wasn't placed at WB by GPS according to this article and instead by placed there by other evidence or cameras at WB?

THIS IS MY OPINION:
BSL has been planning this for some time. Not targeting Mickey but planning for this type of opportunity. He has been very calculated up to the "event" in that he knew he would fulfill his needs one day, but be sure that he wasn't caught. He knew where he would dump a body well ahead of time before he ever would have attempted the kill. All was in order and he knew he'd have time and privacy at his home during this time, so it was Go Time. It planned to travel to Lafayette the nearest collage town known to have young college girls getting out of the bars at 2am. So he placed himself at this location given himself a good chance of finding a victim. He saw mickey heading towards a known vacant area and seized the opportunity. (it is also possible IMO that he saw her riding earlier in the day and watched her for hours knowing that she would ride back home the way he saw her come already and waited for that opportunity. He could have hatched a plan on how to get her off her bike during that time. I also believe her small stature was the reason he chose her) he is ready to restrain her already (ropes maybe) so he bumped her and she was disoriented. He has an MO from his previous offense of restraining women while they aren't expecting it and using their shirt as a blindfold. He isnt worried about her seeing him this time because he already has "plans", so he uses her shirt around her mouth to keep her quiet. So he immediately ties her and forces her into his vehicle and throws the bike in the back or cab. He rapes her nearby (possibly abandoned hospital or near blackham) because I don't know if he could wait. Possibly MS is able to grab something and stab him at this time making him angry. He may hit her and knock her out at this point. When BSL is done MS is in a different state. Possibly feeling temporarily defeated and horrified by what took place or knocked out. I don't believe he would risk killing her in town. So he makes sure she is well restrained for the ride back to his house. Once home he possibly does more thinking he is home and feeling more comfortable, thinking this might be the last time for awhile, making it worth all the effort and taking out his anger out on MS from what he felt about being turned in years ago. I'm think strangulation because according to prior arrest he ties his victim up. Maybe some correlation with restriction of airflow just like restricting movement and escape. Also less cleanup. He knew based on her size that she could be placed in a reasonably sized bag without dismemberment (too messy) or much attention. it would be unsespect for him to carry baggage with his job. I would think that upon death by any means a person releases waste or urine?? So this could have lead to the home cleanup inside and later underneath just in case. He cleaned the vehicle and interior house of anything suspect and of any of his blood. He loaded up "the bag" while the bike was still in the DWT and headed for his pre-planned disposal area. And took some time somewhere in between to review his steps for the next 24 hrs and story about his wounds up to his next RSO check-in before going in the Oshner. Probably to establish an explanation for his injuries so his RSO check-in would go smoothly. I think once the DWT images surfaced it was A lot more desperate actions.

Wherever she is I believe he chose it ahead of time a long time ago because he didn't want to be caught. His first arrest was planned, so I believe this one had huge elements of planning as well.

CS- The reporter's error surprises me... I'm sure you saw the wrong date in the article.

A City Hall security camera captured Shunick on her bike at 1:48 a.m. July 19 on St. Landry Street near University Avenue, about the same time a white Chevrolet Z71 was caught on tape at the intersection traveling in the same direction.

Interesting about the poison ivy (if accurate). Searchers need to look for areas near water with poison ivy close by. Of course that probably describes most of Louisiana in the summer.

Added an additional thought about 2nd hospital visit: The cut to his finger may have been more severe than first thought, or scar tissue (given the fact that he has a tendency to keloid) may have been a complication that needed remedy. Wonder what the date was for the OG visit.

RE: 2nd hospital visit: Additional pain killers/cash flow?

I think he was fully injured by the time he showed up at Ochsner. I think he left Ochsner, however, before being fully treated, due to the cops getting a bit suspicious of his story.

Going to NOLA was all about establishing some sort of alibi--whether believable or not, that's not the point--IMO.

So then he shows up at Opelousas General. He says he was injured in NOLA on May 19th and he reported it to LE there. Perhaps he even shows them proof of a police report. They ask no further questions on that, and just treat him for his injuries.
I think it's possible that it's an alibi. But to me, what makes more sense is that he needed medical attention and didn't want to do it close to home. The whole jurisdiction blindness thing ... MOO

I did misread that and now notice that there is no date for this hospital visit - thanks for pointing that out. BUT....if he was using this as an "also" on the May 19th injuries why wouldn't the finger have been treated as well in NOLA? How could they treat the stab wounds and not the finger? Or do you think they referred him for other treatment/surgery on the finger at a location closer to his home?

I think he left before they treated the finger.

Edited: Removed my previous statement about JPSO not mentioning a stab wound/laceration to the finger. I stand corrected. The JPSO report does mention stabbing to the hand. I'm back to my original conclusion. He left before being treated for the finger injury.

I don't want to aggravate anyone I just think we need to give at least some reasonable doubt until we see all evidence. Even if it is just 1% reasonable doubt.

I have been sure of his guilt since day one but am trying to open up my mind a little and at least consider he isn't the devil we all claim he is.

Nope...read my signature line, lol. The difference in opinion is what makes this board so great. I say guilty guilty guilty.......lol

Almost had his finger cut off?
Sure sounds like he had some nerve injury or something!

http://www.theind.com/news/10949-lavergnes-lacerated-finger-poison-ivy-treated-at-opelousas-general

"Our sources say doctors at the hospital performed surgery on his finger, and note that at the time Lavergne also was suffering from an extensive breakout of poison ivy. It’s unclear if he went to the Opelousas hospital immediately after returning from New Orleans and whether he was treated on a single visit."

Wondering if BSL's finger laceration could be from handling Mickey's bike.
Just a recollection of my own bike accident some years ago - I was riding a bike similar to Mickey's and my friend was following too close behind me. His front tire clipped my rear tire, which sent me sideways - and I was pinned under it for a while. When I pushed the bike off, I was bleeding profusely and had a 3 inch gash in my leg - caused by metal of my own bike. Here are some examples of other bike injuries:

http://www.hospital-data.com/accidents/5040-bicycles-or-accessories/2010/finger/index.html

I guess what has led me to believe it was a crime of opportunity is that it would be much easier (I think) to abduct someone on foot. There are plenty of young women around that time of night, many intoxicated and not fully aware of their surroundings, that would be an easier target. Why not follow and grab one of these girls on their way into their home?

Intentionally hitting a bike rider for an abduction takes a lot if risk. It could draw unwanted attention, you could be seen exiting your vehicle, there could be an undetermined amount of time to retrieve the bike and victim, you would have to control the victim while you fooled with the bike, the victim would at least suffer some injury and may bleed leaving DNA in your vehicle. It is just so unpredictable knowing where the victim and bike will both end up and knowing how much force to use for the desired result.

If this was not an accident then I think it had to just be an uncontrollable impulse to grab her by any means possible.

This all keeps me believing that it was not preplanned and he probably had to make some quick decisions on how he would cover his tracks.

I guess what has led me to believe it was a crime of opportunity is that it would be much easier (I think) to abduct someone on foot. There are plenty of young women around that time of night, many intoxicated and not fully aware of their surroundings, that would be an easier target. Why not follow and grab one of these girls on their way into their home?

Intentionally hitting a bike rider for an abduction takes a lot if risk. It could draw unwanted attention, you could be seen exiting your vehicle, there could be an undetermined amount of time to retrieve the bike and victim, you would have to control the victim while you fooled with the bike, the victim would at least suffer some injury and may bleed leaving DNA in your vehicle. It is just so unpredictable knowing where the victim and bike will both end up and knowing how much force to use for the desired result.

If this was not an accident then I think it had to just be an uncontrollable impulse to grab her by any means possible.

This all keeps me believing that it was not preplanned and he probably had to make some quick decisions on how he would cover his tracks.

I think you are right that it was a crime of opportunity. But I believe he thought about what would happen after the abduction.

I am wondering how many bikers are abducted.

Two sweet little girls in Iowa are missing. Out riding their bicycles. Nether they nor their bikes have been found. Missing four days now.

Just my :twocents: and I am probably totally wrong, but I'm not sure that Mickey was the actual target for him that night. I think she was just the girl that was there at that time.

I do feel that possibly the disappearance and then finding of BW's bike was planned - again not that BW was a target, just a bike in the vicinity to test the waters with and it happened to be his. I think that possibly BSL had been scoping the area, knew that bumping a bike would throw a person off it and give him the edge he needed, and he was planning everything.

I think it is possible that he worked every detail out (except for Mickey fighting back) - by that I mean bumping a bike, getting the person off it, getting them into the vehicle, where to throw the bike and when so that it may never be found, where to take the girl, etc.

That girl just happened to be Mickey - wrong time, wrong place, wrong day.

But when she fought back, he got injured, he then had to rethink and work on things he hadn't planned on...lot's of media attention, evidence in his truck (so now he had to think of how to get rid of the evidence), the injuries (which I do believe he then thought would be an alibi of him being in a different town at the time), etc.

He had it planned in his mind up to a certain point - and then things deviated from his plans and he had to rethink. That is what gave him up....Mickey fought, he got injured, his truck was captured on video, the bike was found (thank you water level drop and astute fishermen), and he was now flustered...he didn't plan on all of this.
And that is why he is sitting in jail on these charges.
JMOO

I'm not sure that BW's bike had anything to do with this crime. Personally, I think someone took his bike and regretted it later, leaving it to be found. Maybe a college or high school kid out with friends and being irresponsible. See the bike, take it for a ride. Next day or later on thinking that was a stupid thing to do. Then putting Brettly's bike in a place where it would be recovered.

I do think it's very likely that BSL planned this crime and then made quick decisions when things didn't go exactly as planned. These deviations (Mickey fighting back lead to NOLA hospital; Truck on video lead to burning of truck inTX and purchasing another one in LA, Media/Volunteer attention lead to evidence being reported by public) all resulted in him being singled out as suspect. His extreme reaction to these unexpected consequences shot up the red flags.

I also am of the mind set that he has done this before without any consequences. I am worried about the Duson young lady, Keiosha Marie Felix.

Her handlebars were found floating separately according the Shreveport Newspaper.... that is what her father said

Almost had his finger cut off?
Sure sounds like he had some nerve injury or something!

http://www.theind.com/news/10949-lavergnes-lacerated-finger-poison-ivy-treated-at-opelousas-general

"Our sources say doctors at the hospital performed surgery on his finger, and note that at the time Lavergne also was suffering from an extensive breakout of poison ivy. It’s unclear if he went to the Opelousas hospital immediately after returning from New Orleans and whether he was treated on a single visit."

HMMM I thought it was about time we were due for another small tid bit of information. Looks to me like she got him good!

He might have refused surgery from the first hospital on the 19th because he didn't want to be there that long...his truck was probably sitting in the hospital lot full of blood and he had to get back somewhere to clean up a mess that he caused before he could have any surgery done. After he covered all his tracks..<or so he thought> he went back to a closer hospital to have surgery.

Very confusing. I don't understand why he would go to two hospitals unless he had the poison ivy and finger treated first and then went home and recieved the stab injuries and then went on to New Orleans. That doesn't make sense either though. It could account for police saying they know where he was during those hours. He was a very busy man.

Poison ivy takes from 6 hours to 2 days after contact for the blisters to form.
http://www.kalcounty.com/hcs/school/pdf_files/PoisonIvy-Oak-SumacFactSheet.pdf

Complete guess here: BSL goes to NOLA Saturday afternoon to get some hospital paperwork to shore-up his “attacked by man with hat over his face” story in case anyone asks about the gashes – GF, family or LE RSO officers. He probably figured that not so many questions would be asked at the ER about him being sliced up by a random stranger in the big city. The stab on his hand was possibly wrapped up at Oschner but he was released or released himself saying he’d go to a local clinic in the AM to get it stitched if necessary. (Sounds as if he wasn’t expecting Ochsner staff/security to call the police regarding the incident.)

He goes home and voila the nasty poison ivy rash shows up the next day and he is forced to go to the local hospital in Opelousas for treatment. He says he was knifed in NOLA, shows the medical report from Ochsner, and says that the wound on his hand is getting worse and now needs stitching up…

Hope he got secondary poison ivy blisters on his wee-willie-winkie. :skip:

I believe he was acting on instinct/impulse rather than having made any kind of plan, as he did such a shoddy job of everything that came afterward, with the exception of hiding Mickey.

And assuming he burned his truck-that is such an extreme response, it almost had to be full of evidence. I don't think the truck was terribly damaged from the impact with the bike, since he did not do anything about the truck, apparently, until LE began showing the video. I don't think if he had planned this attack, that he would have wanted his truck to be the scene of any violence. None of this shows any planning ahead to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warden2024