LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #38

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So we know that LE is working with other areas on the ID cards. Hmm in the coming weeks would not be surprised if bsl is linked to multiply missing women:(

When the grand jury for BSL was convened, it was in an amazingly short time frame from an evidence-wise point of view. After all, evidence takes time to be processed: DNA profiles, hair/fiber analysis, and weeding out extraneous trace evidence (like BSL's girlfriend's hair) are time-consuming things. Evidence has to be woven together to present a cohesive whole that adequately garners an indictment.

So, how do you get an indictment on 1st degree murder on two women (one a cold case) in that short time frame between arrest and grand jury? After all, you have to convince at least 8 of those jurors that there is enough reasonable suspicion on this guy to warrant a trial. How do you convince them? You find something so big, so irrefutable and so glaringly obvious that the grand jury squeaks out a "true bill" within hours. You find something which points to not one, but two women being dead by this man's hand....And you do it without one of those corpses being found. These grand jurors are not forensic experts, legal experts or LE, after all. They are average people, like you and me. Laymen.

So what did LE find in that trailer that made those jurors take a look at the evidence and say, "Yeah, this guy needs to stand trial. Both of those women are dead by his hand, and he premeditated their demise."? Just circumstancial evidence may not be enough.

They found something big enough and convincing enough that two true bills were returned within hours.

Then again, there is the old saw that, with a case in the hands of a halfway competent prosecutor, most grand juries today will indict a ham sandwich.

I did think they rushed to the gj a little bit -- LE even kind of admitted as much -- and I'm not saying I blame them. But I do consider it possible that ONE reason for presenting these two cases together was to bolster each. IMO, they probably knew they had strong enough cases to get at least one murder indictment -- and, even if they had gotten those pretermit whatchamadoodles on the murder charges, they would have had the aggravated kidnapping to fall back on to keep BSL put, while they investigated and gathered further evidence (because, if I understand the pretermit decision correctly, they can get another chance pretty easily).

I think they wanted to get him off the street and to ensure he didn't have a chance to flee. But I'm not sure that, at this point, they have slam-dunk cases on either Mickey or Lisa -- they MAY. But they are definitely going to be happier, I bet, with the impact of the double indictment bringing in lots of tips and information (and, with BSL put away, perhaps making some less hesitant to speak up) to strengthen whatever they DO have already.

Properly functioning grand juries, IMO, realize they are not convicting anyone. They know they are sending the accused on down the line to the possibility of being convicted.

Oh and I have to say every rumour I have heard has become fact and verified, amazing!

I was nervous about the evidence until I spoke with someone today. After what I was told, I am CONFIDENT they have enough evidence in the MS case. I am not trying to bait, but I have been put at ease and I am hoping that "my word" will also put some others at ease.

LE's case is S.T.R.O.N.G. (IMO)

Some one else I spoke to also made me think... They said Based on what LE has, BSL is most likely going to plea. (this is just their opinion, no inside info on that). They don't think there will ever be a trial.

We may never know the whole story.

You are very right. There are many many adoptees in open adoptions who do not have any desire to find their bio families. Especially men. I have had men tell me "my mother did not want me and I do not want her. I am very happy with the family that raised me. They ARE my family."

I do have a bias towards those searching -- because there are literally millions who search. However, to be fair -- there are also millions that do not search and are much better off in their adoptive family. I actually changed my searching parameters in recent years based on some cases that a social worker shared with me while my children were at gymnastics. She told me "Evelyn, you work so hard trying to help people reconnect with the bio famlies. ...I work so hard trying to help people forget their bio families." Those words really moved me. We all speak from what we have experienced. My slant is from 30 years of reunion work. Her slant was from 30 years of moving children out of hellish bio families. But all of our work is based on love and compassion for family.

My slant is from working in the public school system. Many parents of adopted children have learned NOT to tell anyone that their kids are adoptees because they feel there is a social stigma against adoptees these days. In their experience, too many teachers and other parents make snap judgments, and assume their kids are damaged goods. I have had teachers tell me that they do not tell anyone their own children are adopted because they believe there is a negative reaction from others towards their kids if they know they are adopted. Some people assume adopted kids are less intelligent, less healthy and have emotional issues.

Even the terminology can be kind of warped.
[ 'Natural' children vs. Adopted?]

So I fully understand where you are coming from, but I wanted to point out that there are many many totally healthy, happy, well adjusted adopted people out in the world. We just don't hear much about them because they are just living their lives.

I thought bsl never served time in another country whilst in the army? Pretty sure I read that when he was first arrested. Maybe we can ask someguy when he returns he will know.

Just looking over notes from LE Press Conference, just after BSL's arrest, from the question and answer session following Craft's statement. Posting them here for anyone who hasn't already seen these :

"I will take questions at this time but I want to caution you that because the investigation is ongoing, there is a lot of information that we will not be able to divulge or discuss."

Q: Chief Craft, how did you know that he was in the area where Mickey’s bike was found? What evidence (inaudible)
A: We have some evidence that we can’t divulge at this time but we know, we can place his vehicle in that area at that time.

Q: When you were searching his home, what was some of the key evidence that was found there? Anything of importance that you can share with us that was found at his home?
A: As I speak we have been at that home since yesterday and we are still processing that scene so we can’t disclose or divulge any evidence that we may or may not have recovered.

Q: What evidence led to the first degree murder charge?
A: (pauses as if to consider how to answer) Um, based on the information developed by our investigators, uh, and the fact that she was kidnapped – an aggravated kidnapping constitutes a charge of first degree murder.

Q: Is there any evidence that there was any sort of struggle?
A: Uh, we can’t go into that at this point.

Q: Was any of Mickey’s DNA found inside his home?
A: We can’t go into that at this point.

Q: How much information (inaudible) bike?
A: Uhm, the bike was consistent – the rear rim was consistent with being struck by a vehicle and …

Q: Did anything come back from the lab reports?
A: We have no lab reports back as of this time.

Q: Chief Craft, was there a second person arrested – a female arrested in this – (inaudible) yesterday?
A: No, the only person arrested in this case has been Brandon Scott Lavergne.

Q: Was Lavergne questioned by the department immediately and then information gathered from his GPS?
A: Uh Lavergne was questioned by the department here after he was picked up by state police at I-10 and I-49.

Q: When was that?
A: Yesterday (Thursday) afternoon about 2:30.

Q: Is there any relation between Lavergne and Mickey Shunick?
A: Not that we are aware of.

Q: Any possibility that any other arrests could come about from this? I know a private investigator identified two descriptions of two separate suspects.
A: We don’t think so at this point.

Q: What (inaudible) believe she’s dead?
A: Just the evidence and information we have in the case that again, I cannot go into.

Q: Chief, was there any type of website or blog or anything that helped to connect you guys to Lavergne or help focus on him?
A: No, the information that came from the citizen is how he came to our attention.

Q: Did that citizen call the tip line?
A: I think that citizen did call the tips line.

Q: How were you able (inaudible) in Texas and put the two together?
A: Through investigation by our detectives and LA State Police we were able to determine that he had purchased another vehicle and so we located the first one over there.

Q: What was that unrelated warrant he was arrested on?
A: It has to do with sex offender registration.

Q: What brought him to the Lafayette area the night of her disappearance. Any information as to what he was doing there?
A: We have no information on that based on the fact that he has refused to talk to us or cooperate with us.

Q: Was his license destroyed, blocking out some information about him being a registered sex offender?
A: Yes.

Q: On May 28th, it says that he was in good standing on his sex offender website. How is that possible, uh, what does that have to do to go through that?
A: Well I don’t think that the people who run the registry would necessarily know that he had altered his driver’s license to hide that information. Uh, if he was making his contacts and making his visits, they may
be ruled in good standing.

Q: Where was he arrested?
A: He was arrested here at the Lafayette Police Department. He was stopped by LA State Police at I-10 and I-49 for a traffic violation.

Q: Do you think that he targeted her or this is a crime of coincidence?
A: I think that based on the information we have and the vehicle was seen in the area – you can see it on the video – maybe he was riding around looking for someone to victimize.

Q: Chief Craft, since he purchased a new vehicle – what was he driving, what was his mode of transportation when he was apprehended?
A: I think it’s a Z71, white pickup truck, just like the one he had.

Q: Chief, how long can you hold him and what’s next?
A: Well, right now he’s charged with aggravated kidnapping and first degree murder. So there’s no bond on the first degree murder. The district attorney has reviewed our affidavit and our warrant and they are in agreement with us that we had probable cause to arrest him and so there’s no bond on a first degree murder warrant so he’s going to be held in a correctional center.

Q: Chief if a body isn’t found do you expect any problem with that as far as prosecution or anything?
A: I couldn’t comment on that. I think that’s a question for the district attorney to answer.

Q: Has anybody else been questioned regarding (inaudible)?
A: Oh, hundreds of people have been questioned regarding this case.

Q: Since the arrest has been made?
A: Yes.

Q: Any females or girlfriends?
A: We’ve questioned a lot of people but I don’t want to go into who we’ve questioned or who we’ve talked to just primarily because our investigation is still ongoing and that may hinder our investigation to disclose that information at this time.

Q: Any clues on where the body may be?
A: (pauses) No.

Q: Chief, any better indication (inaudible) where or around she was taken?
A: Based on what we know in the video we would have to say between St. Landry and St. Mary and Blackham Coliseum. Somewhere between there.

Q: And is there any indication on exactly how they got her, the bike, everything into the vehicle?
A: No.

Q: Chief, with Mr. Lavergne, was there a bite mark on his hand possibly from Mickey Shunick?
A: Can’t comment on that.
Q: (inaudible)
A: Can’t comment on that.

Q: Can you comment on his prior record?

Q: Was there anyone else at the house when you went to investigate?

Q: Was there anyone else in that vehicle when he was apprehended?

Q: Was he an offshore worker?
A: Yes, he is an offshore worker.

Q: Do you know if he was offshore (inaudible) most of the investigation?
A: Well, we know that he’s been offshore for about the last two weeks.

Q: Do you all use FBI profiler in this investigation?
A: We did consult with the behavioral science unit with the FBI Academy at Quantico but the FBI’s made numerous resources available to us throughout this investigation.

Q: What (inaudible) motive for this crime?
A: He’s a sex offender.

Q: (something about truck on fire)
A: That’s part of the arson investigation that’s taking place in Texas at this time.

Q: Do you know how he got back to Louisiana after he set his truck on fire?
A: We’re not releasing that right now.

Q: Do you have reason to believe that Mickey Shunick was sexually assaulted in this crime?
A: We don’t know that yet.

No linking to topix forums, please.

:tyou:

I cannot prove it and I don't have a link but I think he hit Mickey and the bike with a good amount of impact that night out of anger and a need to hurt someone. I think he wanted her to be injured and to feel pain. What happened after that I do not know. I cannot help but think his crimes are more about anger and inflicting brutality on others than a sexual motive. Or it could be the two combined with the sexual motive be the lesser of the two.

I think his finger injury resulted from being in a frenzy with the knife. I really hate to say that more than y'all know. I apologize if this offends anyone but I think she could have been stabbed and strangled by this very sick man. It would explain the finger injury and the scratch marks.

The victim he was convicted of sexually assaulting had bruises, was tied up and blindfolded. The phone lines were ripped from the wall. This shows anger to me. He did not kill her so obviously that could be because he knew her as a person and not an object of his hatred.

I still believe the stab wounds were self-inflicted as crazy as it may seem. Either as I stated from the beginning, because he needed an alibi to account for the finger wound and scratches (maybe a bite mark) or because he needed to feel pain himself. Maybe he punishes himself!

Otherwise, the injuries to his person just do not seem to fit together. It seems unlikely that Mickey had the opportinity to stab him that many times front and back, scratch him and bite him. He is military trained and could easily subdue a petite woman.

There are people out there that need to inflict pain and feel pain just to feel something at all. They are the only recognizeable feelings some people have.

Then again, there is the old saw that, with a case in the hands of a halfway competent prosecutor, most grand juries today will indict a ham sandwich.

I did think they rushed to the gj a little bit -- LE even kind of admitted as much -- and I'm not saying I blame them. But I do consider it possible that ONE reason for presenting these two cases together was to bolster each. IMO, they probably knew they had strong enough cases to get at least one murder indictment -- and, even if they had gotten those pretermit whatchmadoodles on the murder charges, they would have had the aggravated kidnapping to fall back on to keep BSL put, while they investigated and gathered further evidence.

I think they wanted to get him off the street and to ensure he didn't have a chance to flee. But I'm not sure that, at this point, they have slam-dunk cases on either Mickey or Lisa -- they MAY. But they are definitely going to be happier, I bet, with the impact of the double indictment bringing in lots of tips and information (and, with BSL put away, perhaps making some less hesitant to speak up) to strengthen whatever they DO have already.

Properly functioning grand juries, IMO, realize they are not convicting anyone. They know they are sending the accused on down the line to the possibility of being convicted.

BSL was brought before a grand jury in 2008 for the murder of Linda Pate, and the grand jury decided to pretermit (suspend indefinitely) at that time. There wasn't enough evidence to warrant an indictment at that time.

The only way that he would have been indicted this go-round would be if new evidence was found which more firmly pointed at BSL.

On a separate, but perhaps related note, does anyone know if Lisa Pate's skeleton was complete, or was it missing a few parts...Teeth, philange bones, that sort of thing?

First time posting and I've been stalking for quite some time. Since shortly after Mickey has gone missing. I'm not aware of all the rules, but if I have heard something through the CajunNet, is it okay to post here?

<modsnip>

BSL was brought before a grand jury in 2008 for the murder of Linda Pate, and the grand jury decided to pretermit (suspend indefinitely) at that time. There wasn't enough evidence to warrant an indictment at that time.

The only way that he would have been indicted this go-round would be if new evidence was found which more firmly pointed at BSL.

On a separate, but perhaps related note, does anyone know if Lisa Pate's skeleton was complete, or was it missing a few parts...Teeth, philange bones, that sort of thing?

bbm: Not necessarily (different grand jury and way different circumstances), but I do think they may have additional evidence now on Lisa

I was nervous about the evidence until I spoke with someone today. After what I was told, I am CONFIDENT they have enough evidence in the MS case. I am not trying to bait, but I have been put at ease and I am hoping that "my word" will also put some others at ease.

LE's case is S.T.R.O.N.G. (IMO)

Some one else I spoke to also made me think... They said Based on what LE has, BSL is most likely going to plea. (this is just their opinion, no inside info on that). They don't think there will ever be a trial.

We may never know the whole story.

I hope that if he is responsible for some of these other missing persons they will be able to connect him to them and he needs to tell the Shunicks where their Mickey is so they can start to heal. The more I read and hear about him I am almost certain there are quite a few more families who need to know about their loved one.

My apologies:sweep:

Lemme dig but so far it's either SK in Louisiana kill either all female or all male.

Angree Cajon, the Axeman of New Orleans, 1919..
I'm sure there have been others..Henry Lucas & Otis Toole; Adam Walsh's murderer were active all across the Southeast & beyond..

Serial killers/sexual predators, it is about the power of life and death over others..ultimate control..

Since the beginning of time, within every culture, in every society, there have been those who are incapable of adapting and blending within the boundaries of their communal environment. Driven by a force that is incomprehensible to the peers upon which they prey, they feed on the terror and panic their crimes leave in the heart of the community. Unable to control their carnal desires for more than just brief moments, they reside in the dark recesses of the mind, opportunistically seizing victims to compensate for shortcomings they themselves are unable to overcome.

Behind false smiles, it is truly then that the eyes become the window to the soul, or in some cases, the lack thereof.In most instances, the serial killer acts alone, extracting pleasure from the anonymity that he presents.

However, in rare cases, these predators find in each other a kindred mind, linking up to work together, proving the old adage of water seeking its own level, even for heinous reasons. Whether the union is long-term, or short-lived, these serial killing partners present a unique problem for law enforcement officers trying to solve crimes.
Tyrra Messerve

"Imo, BS Lavergne, had associates".. His brother traded his caddy the day after BS Lavergne's arrest"... 'What's up with that'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChriNBelusk0