LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #39

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok clucian, don't get too annoyed with me. i know i'm like a determined child sometimes. but first, i think it was you that explained truth serum on the last thread. if it wasn't, i apologize.

so just because it's not admissable in court, shouldn't they still use in hopes of the possibility of him spilling where Mickey is? i want Mickey to be found, and as the days come and go, i'm worried she won't ever be found :( unless he tells.

They can't use truth serum because that is AGAINST HIS CIVIL AND CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS. It doesn't matter that it isn't admissible in court. If it were to be forced upon him (which it can't,) The ACLU would have him out and walking free in the blink of an eye.

Thank you for that :)

Just read it and it seems that there is an 15th-District office in Crowley (Acadia Parish seat). It doesn't explain to me though why a grand jury was held in Lafayette. Crowley is in the 15th District, but that doesn't tell me that all 15th-District cases go to Lafayette. The 2008 LP grand jury was for murder. And yet it was held in Acadia Parish - presumably Crowley.

The venue change is unexplained - to me.

I'm guessing with Mickey it apparently happened in Lafayette Parish that was the original indictment they were going for, LP wasn't added until right before. Could be that since they are both in the 15th judicial court and both under DA Mike Harson that they were just presented together. And also LP is said to have disappeared from Youngsville which is Lafayette Parish.

Thank you for that :)

Just read it and it seems that there is an 15th-District office in Crowley (Acadia Parish seat). It doesn't explain to me though why a grand jury was held in Lafayette. Crowley is in the 15th District, but that doesn't tell me that all 15th-District cases go to Lafayette. The 2008 LP grand jury was for murder. And yet it was held in Acadia Parish - presumably Crowley.

The venue change is unexplained - to me.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me either... I still don't understand why we have a consolidated government, and why each Parish isn't graced with it's own individual DA and GJ.

ok clucian, don't get too annoyed with me. i know i'm like a determined child sometimes. but first, i think it was you that explained truth serum on the last thread. if it wasn't, i apologize.

so just because it's not admissable in court, shouldn't they still use in hopes of the possibility of him spilling where Mickey is? i want Mickey to be found, and as the days come and go, i'm worried she won't ever be found :( unless he tells.
I don't think that it's legal to forcibly administer drugs to get someone to confess to a crime.

I'm not sure if it would be legal even if he gave consent to being drugged.
JMO.

I got the impression that LE believes delays will be on BL's end...as in so many DP cases.

It has been my experience that most Capital Crimes/Homicide trials, especially multiple Homicides take between 2 to 3 years to prosecute.

This is normally due to the defense filing motions for continuances, etc., with the motive being that witnesses memories diminish and many die, etc.. There are many other motives and reasons for the delays..

Imo, due to the probable other unknown victims of <modsnip> Lavergne, later being revealed. We may be looking at three years or longer for a resolution, especially if victims from other states are involved..

Swift Justice is an oxymoron, imo...

Mike Harson is the DA for both Lafayette and Acadia Parishes.

Yes, but the grand jury was held in Lafayette. Mike Harson isn't the one returning the true bill - a jury "of his peers" is.

Harson can travel to Crowley to indict - - but are they allowed to just transfer the case out of Acadia Parish like that, and have Lafayette-Parish residents sit in judgment? I'd really like an explanation.

Legally speaking - does the Lafayette Parish grand-jury indictment for Lisa Pate mean that LE believes the murder happened in Lafayette Parish?

We need a legal person.///

Excellent question. Especially since Harson only has jurisdiction in Lafayette, Acadia and Vermillion parishes, right?

I'm on a Nook and cannot post a link I shated a few threads ago. It was an article from American Scientific. If you google "american scientific truth serum", you should be able to find it. In a nutshell, truth serum does not make someone tell the truth (or prevent them from lying). It does reduce inhibitions that *may* make some people speak more freely. However, it can also make the person more susceptible to suggestion.

'

But don't they have to have evidence that the crime happened in Lafayette Parish?

I mean - if I rob a bank in Louisiana - can LE decide to try me in Kentucky, for their own internal reasons?

You have to look at the jurisdiction he was charged by.

Then listen very close to what the COP stated in his presser.

Is it normal for a helicopter trying to land at a hospital to circle it for over an hour? If not, then it must be a ghetto bird. I wonder what they're looking for. I guess it wouldn't be looking for Mickey since it's dark outside.

Is it normal for a helicopter trying to land at a hospital to circle it for over an hour? If not, then it must be a ghetto bird. I wonder what they're looking for. I guess it wouldn't be looking for Mickey since it's dark outside.

The evolution of the English language is amazing....
:floorlaugh:

I'm new here and this is my first time posting. I was looking for the answer to why the gj would be held in lafayette. I think this will answer the question.
Rule 14.1 Allotment - Defendant With More Than One Felony Case
(a) Unless a different method is set forth in Appendix 14.1, if a defendant has a felony case pending and previously allotted, any new felony arrest for that defendant shall be allotted to the division to which the pending felony was allotted. This Afelonies-following-felonies@ rule also applies to any pending felony arrests for a co-defendant with a new arrest and billed as a co-defendant
http://www.lasc.org/rules/dist.ct/FINALRULES.PDf

They can't use truth serum because that is AGAINST HIS CIVIL AND CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS. It doesn't matter that it isn't admissible in court. If it were to be forced upon him (which it can't,) The ACLU would have him out and walking free in the blink of an eye.

well, that's a damn shame that something that wouldn't harm him can't be used so the family can say goodbye to their daughter and sister murdered by him. yet, it's okay to have the death penalty? we put people to death, but can't coerce the location of their victim from them. how backwards is that?

Unless there's a huge incident with need for multiple Air Meds to be floating around in the skies, I'd have to say no, it's not normal. Most helicopters that land at a hospital will be one medically related, like the ones associated with Acadian Ambulance. Where are you seeing this?

I'm new here and this is my first time posting. I was looking for the answer to why the gj would be held in lafayette. I think this will answer the question.
Rule 14.1 Allotment - Defendant With More Than One Felony Case
(a) Unless a different method is set forth in Appendix 14.1, if a defendant has a felony case pending and previously allotted, any new felony arrest for that defendant shall be allotted to the division to which the pending felony was allotted. This Afelonies-following-felonies@ rule also applies to any pending felony arrests for a co-defendant with a new arrest and billed as a co-defendant
http://www.lasc.org/rules/dist.ct/FINALRULES.PDf

Welcome to Websleuths and the information :)

:welcome:

Do you mean truth serum? It is not legal to give him anything like that, just as it is not legal to give him a lie detector against his will. I am not saying I wouldn't personally like to force some into his veins, or however they do it, but it just isn't done. It is rumored to have been used by military in the past, maybe even recent past, but I don't know that it actually works.

I am worried too that she might not be found...there are no guarantees. Wanting her found doesn't make it so...I am sure other families want their loved ones found just as badly as the Shunicks do...

Someone explained it earlier in a thread i will try to find cause it explains it better than I can, but its all about jurisdictions. There are several parishes that fall under one jurisdiction. And Acadia & St Landry fall in Lafayette's jurisdiction.

All on the same judicial circuit, is that what you mean? My county (Georgia equivalent of parish) is on the same circuit with two other counties.

well, that's a damn shame that something that wouldn't harm him can't be used so the family can say goodbye to their daughter and sister murdered by him. yet, it's okay to have the death penalty? we put people to death, but can't coerce the location of their victim from them. how backwards is that?

Well...we have to remember he has not been convicted of killing anyone...and may not be for a few years yet...maybe once he is convicted, he will have a change of heart, although with this guy, I just envision endless appeals and no confessions.

filming a movie maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members