LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #40

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not know if this helps answer the question or not, but years ago I worked for one of the top cdefense attorneys in the United States. Mostly big drug dealer cases. What I remember is the attorney's instructions when someone called from the jail to be represented. I was to ask specifically NOT "What did you do?" - but instead "What do they SAY you did?" The reason for the different wording is that most of the times these calls are recorded and thus the defense attorney did not want his future client admitting to anything by using the wrong words. -- From working with that group of attorneys I would say that the attorneys do want to know what the perp did because of this specific reason: They want no surprises in court. Normally a good defense attorney will not ask any question that he does not already know the answer to in court. Thus -- he has to know what the perp actually did in order to best defend him when the facts of the case are presented. However -- there are some perps who are dumb enough to still deny to their own attorney they did anything. Those dummies normally get crucified in court and their attorney gets pretty p.o.'d also.

It is a fine line in being ethical. If you don't want to lie, be an environmental attorney or an insurance defense attorney -- those guys typically are more ethical -- just my opinion. The reasoning a criminal defense attorney will use for their lies is that everyone is guaranteed a defense by our constitution and it is their job to provide their client with the best defense possible. Esp when the client or their mom has paid big bucks to get a good defense. If it makes you feel any better, in my history of law class, it used to be, hundreds of years ago in the English courts, that folks paid "professional liars" to testify in court cases. Not much has changed......

Those kids must be the ones who grow up to be law breakers and defense attorneys. Seriously though... This is why the job pays so much... Kind of like selling your soul.

I wouldnt say selling their soul. Thats just something ****** that comes with the job. Lots of innocent people are accused of crimes and stand trial and they need damn good defense attorneys. So sometimes they're able to save someones life by making sure they arent wrongfully convicted. Other times they have to defend the guilty. Pro"s and cons

no. a confession. suppose the client confesses to their attorney. I don't think the attorney can "tell". Right? I have a problem with that because I don't see how it promotes Justice. I'm also wondering how these meetings go down between the defense attorneys and their clients. DO they try to get the truth from their client?

For example, you have a child that egged the neighbors house. You want to convince the neighbor your child is innocent and your child has not confessed to you, but deep down you know your child did it. Do you try to get the child to confess or do you just let him lie to you and tell you stories of how and why it couldn't have been him? As ridiculous as these stories are, you just sit there and eat the BS?

I'm trying to figure that out too. I'm just curious how these meeting go down between the accused and their attorneys.

I once asked an attorney if it was easy defending a criminal that he knew was guilty. He basically said the system demands the court to prosecute. That means every individual prosecuted, even the guilty, have someone familiar with the rules and the laws, to ensure that they at least get a fair shot at the system. Police powers historically tend to expand and by defending even the guilty it acts as a check on the system.

i just asked my husband if he thought I, at my size before we got married and had kids (10 pounds ago when i was same as Mickey) could stab him (my husband is the same as BSL) in the back, chest, hand and neck. He said, "yea if you were a chick gone crazy with a knife flailing about" :floorlaugh:

i know this is serious stuff, but i had to laugh at his response

I guess my hubby must be afraid of me!
Cuz he said I could never in any circumstance harm in for long!

BBM
No they can't tell.

I think that a defense attorneys job is to give his/her client the best defense possible. In order to do that they need cooperation from their client. If they don't get that complete cooperation, then the defense suffers.

If the defense attorney was on the same side of the scales of justice as the prosecution, how would a defendant get a fair trial?

ok. see. that's what i needed. so i name you "the wiser one". i just needed it to click in my brain. that Ah Ha click. that was it. thanks! i feel a little better now.

Yes it is, and on the other side of the highway in the curve is the dug out pits.

Yentis, good thought I had forgotten of this place, I wonder if they thought of searching there, and the refinery.

so is the refinery totally abandoned? it's just empty warehouse type buildings?

The curious thing about the injuries on BSL. If Mickey did cause them, how would she manage to get the one or ones on his back?

The curious thing about the injuries on BSL. If Mickey did cause them, how would she manage to get the one or ones on his back?

I can imagine how she could do each one of the injuries, depending on her position. If she were in the back of the truck as he were driving, all (that we know of) make sense to me, with the exception perhaps of the finger. The finger seems to me like it could be a defensive wound. The back and neck no.
We don't know that all of his injuries happened at the same timing or from the same weapon.

Knew he would plead not guilty. Reminds me of Ted Bundy a lot. TB blaimed a lot of his actions on others (such as blameing *advertiser censored* for his interest in sexual violence) and tried to come off all "moral" before he was executed. Even though he did end up giving some locations and I think he said he would give up more locations instead of being executed but it was too late. (someone correct me if I'm wrong I believe I read it on Wikipedia) Anyways I feel like BSL is pretty similar.

Such a hard day for the Shunicks, :( I think Mickey will be found soon. I read some people's comments about "maybe" thinking she was held hostage for a few days but I'm not sure about that because MS put up a huge fight and I bet she really hurt BSL and fought as hard as she could.

Bring Mickey Home! <3

so is the refinery totally abandoned? it's just empty warehouse type buildings?

I'm not sure if it is totally abandoned, but it is not in use as a refinery. I really never have seen anything going on there when I pass by.
I will have to check on that, and see. Maybe tomorrow I will do a drive by. :smile:

I know I have referenced the case of Carrie Culberson before, who was murdered by a violent ex-boyfriend. They tried the case without finding her body. I often think of her since Mickey disappeared. The defense trotted out a whole army of dubious witnesses to claim they had seen her since that last night, and tried to make out that she had run off. Even the prosecution had a heck of a time convincing her mother that she was in fact dead, but her mother did testify as such in court. (that she knew Carrie was dead in her heart.)

In Carrie's case, there were people who had overheard the pair arguing the last night, and some amount of blood was found someplace (his truck, maybe?) but not much. In any event, I am hoping that in Mickey's case, the proof of death is more obvious (although I can't imagine trying to claim SHE ran off, but we've seen worse from defense lawyers.)

The worst part is, even though he was convicted, 16 years later she has never been found.

I'm not sure if it is totally abandoned, but it is not in use as a refinery. I really never have seen anything going on there when I pass by.
I will have to check on that, and see. Maybe tomorrow I will do a drive by. :smile:

Please do....

I know I have referenced the case of Carrie Culberson before, who was murdered by a violent ex-boyfriend. They tried the case without finding her body. I often think of her since Mickey disappeared. The defense trotted out a whole army of dubious witnesses to claim they had seen her since that last night, and tried to make out that she had run off. Even the prosecution had a heck of a time convincing her mother that she was in fact dead, but her mother did testify as such in court. (that she knew Carrie was dead in her heart.)

In Carrie's case, there were people who had overheard the pair arguing the last night, and some amount of blood was found someplace (his truck, maybe?) but not much. In any event, I am hoping that in Mickey's case, the proof of death is more obvious (although I can't imagine trying to claim SHE ran off, but we've seen worse from defense lawyers.)

The worst part is, even though he was convicted, 16 years later she has never been found.
So sad.

I will, I have to go that way tomorrow.

I do think she is somewhere simple to put. (sorry)
And I do not think it is in relative proximity of anything else he tried to mask.
I also think he was thinking on the fly. Get rid of evidence, what all that might be.......get alibis, whatever that might be.....get to the hospital.....and make that an alibi too!
Report the truck, burn the truck, rent a car, buy a truck, go to work.
In his mind, at that point, that's all they had. Everything else he had an excuse for. AAhhh! Until the search warrant! Boooyeah!
imo :jail:

Just wanted to pop in and remind y'all how much you rock! I'm on a 5 day religious retreat (yes, praying for Shunicks and Lisa Pates' family), but I have spotty internet service. I do try to check in daily to see what's new...mostly lurk. I'll be back next week.

I can imagine how she could do each one of the injuries, depending on her position. If she were in the back of the truck as he were driving, all (that we know of) make sense to me, with the exception perhaps of the finger. The finger seems to me like it could be a defensive wound. The back and neck no.
We don't know that all of his injuries happened at the same timing or from the same weapon.

Hmm?? Somehow I just imagined she injured him in the process of him attacking her, which would put him facing her. But, it was said his injuries were to his chest, back, neck and hand. In that scenario the back ones would be hard to achieve.

Hmm?? Somehow I just imagined she injured him in the process of him attacking her, which would put him facing her. But, it was said his injuries were to his chest, back, neck and hand. In that scenario the back ones would be hard to achieve.

If I had a knife (or any sharp instrument) in my hand and someone was on top of me aassaulting me, I would pull my arm (with the knife) out as far as I could and plunge it into them as hard as I could. (With the knife) And as many times as I could. (with the knife)
I know it sounds gruesome, but I do believe I would do whatever it took and for how ever long it took, especially if I felt my life was in danger. I would fight to the finish. I would never give up until I couldn't. I'll bet most of you are the same.

I just have a nagging feeling that BSL had to have had a confidant at some point over the years. He started so young that I feel as if someone else knows, not just is suspicious. Maybe even someone like-minded? I've read that he and his brother "seem close" according to their hairdresser (link below). I would be interested to know more about his relationship with his brother.

http://www.theind.com/news/10922-crowley-hairdresser-lavergne-had-knife-wound-on-neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warden2024