Found Deceased LA - Ezekiel Harry, 2, last seen @ walking track, Houma, 12 July 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The mother, Maya Jones, 28, and her boyfriend Jermaine Robinson, 37, are in custody and charged with first-degree murder and obstruction of justice.
View attachment 354077
Trey Harry, Ezekiel’s father
Awww, he looks exactly like his Daddy. This is heartbreaking.

Press conference

Chief - I want to start off by first of all sending condolences to the family of 2 yr. old, Ezekiel Harry.

(Thanks LE agencies and citizens in the community for their support and assistance)

Yesterday, around 12 noon our agency received a call about a possible abduction within the area of East Houma near Bayou Terrebonne in Mahler St. It was initially reported that a subject in a grey vehicle took Maya Jones' 2 yr. old child while she was near the waterway with her children. Based on information released by Maya Jones and intel received by LE, we were able to immediately learn that her accounts of what was being reported were false. At this point our investigators suspected foul play and it was our immediate goal to find 2 yr. old Ezekiel Harry.

As you all know around 6 pm. we located the lifeless body of Ezekiel Harry on Daspit St. As our investigation continued, Maya Jones was thoroughly interviewed where numerous inconsistencies in her allegations were discovered. Representatives from the Houma PD., (lists a number of agencies) rendered resources to assist with the search of Ezekiel Harry. After locating the lifeless body of Ezekiel Harry on Daspit St....He was located in a black duffle bag disposed of in a garbage can.

The discovery of this precious child was a result of numerous experienced investigators from the aforementioned agencies who were driven to see this investigation through. During this intense investigation surveillance images were recovered showing Maya Jones and Jermaine Robinson leaving the area of Cadiere St.

(media shown images and video of Jones and Robinson "carrying lifeless body of Ezekiel in a black duffle bag")

As you can see on the next slide there's also another image of Maya and Jermaine near a business...and as you can see they also still have the black bag.

Around 5 am. those individuals returned to the area of Cadiere St., and as you can see in the still photo up on the screen behind us they no longer have the black bag. On July 12th when we received this report, shortly before the incident was reported to us, we obtained images of Maya Jones carrying an infant carrier along with her 3 other children walking near Bayou Terrebonne, which is adjacent to the neighbourhood of Mahler St. We've learned when these images were captured the carrier was empty. As a result of our investigation and the hard work and dedication of representatives with each of these departments up here, Maya Jones who was already in police custody, Jermaine Robinson who was taken into custody a short distance from Bayou Terrebonne, where we were searching, was arrested for 1 count of 1st degree murder, obstruction of justice and both was transported to our local jail to be booked accordingly.

One thing I want to say is that each one of our partners here, and I'm going to say it again...our condolences to the family of little Ezekiel Harry, and as you can see a precious gift in our community was taken from us. Children like this make up a small percentage of our population but they are definitely 100% of our future. The future of Ezekiel Harry was taken away from us by these two, Maya Jones and Jermaine Robinson.

Reporter - Was there any history of child abuse in this household?

Chief - That is being looked at as we continue our investigation. The body of Ezekiel Harry is now in the custody of our coroner and we do suspect that there was some physical abuse that led to the death of Ezekiel Harry, but like I said that's still being investigated.

Reporter - Is there any motive that we know of yet?

Chief - Still under investigation.

Reporter - Do we have the cause of death just yet?

Chief - Not yet, still under investigation.

Reporter - And so was it those images that led you guys to finding this trash can where this child was located?

Chief - That led through some co-operation with one of those individuals, as well as some experienced investigators that was conducting these interviews.

Reporter - When you get false information about a situation like this, how long does it usually take to find out if it's true or false?

Chief - That has to be determined. Whenever we get these types of reports, we dot our i's cross our t's, you would hope that whoever is making these reports are telling you the truth. But when you start poking holes into these stories it sends red flags and that's when we turn our focus into another gear.

Reporter - Did you all have problems with her story from the initial interrogations of her? Or was it the fact that people called in offering some information as to problems with the child, problems in the home, problems with her story early on?
Chief - We had problems with her story from the onset. There was some things that she was releasing to us that I'm not going to get into in this press conference, but as we talked to her we just found several holes in her story. Stuff that didn't line up with what she was telling us and immediately we suspected foul play.

Reporter - Who found the child?

Chief - Our Investigators did, she led us to him.

Reporter - Any idea how long she walked around with the child in the duffel bag?

Chief - We're thinking between maybe a 2 hr. window, possibly a 2 hr. window.

Reporter - Anytime you have a death of a child and you guys are trying to work to find that child because you don't know if they're alive or not - How much resources go into something like this?

Chief - Lots of resources. We pool our resources together. We may wear different uniforms but we all have one mission. A problem that's in the City of Houma is not just our issue, we all come together to solve these issues.

Reporter - The neighbours had told me earlier that they had reached out saying they'd heard arguments and children crying - Have you guys seen any reports from CPS or police from other neighbours complaining about what's going on?

Chief - That's still being looked at by our investigators.

Reporter - Do we know the exact cause of death?

Chief - No we don't. That's still being looked at by our coroner's office.

Reporter - What was Jermaine Robinson's relationship to this child?

Chief - I would say live-in boyfriend.

Reporter - Do we know if he's the boy's father?

Chief - He's not the boy's father.

Reporter - The other children were walking with her in the original release...is that the boyfriend's children or...

Chief - That's her children.

Reporter - Ezekiel father's children?

Chief - That is Ezekiel father's children - Yes.

Reporter - Do we know if where the body was dumped meant anything to the family or if they specifically chose this trash can?

Chief - That's being investigated..Yes.

Reporter - (question for DA) The 1st Degree Murder is eligible for death if convicted - Are you going to be pushing for that?

DA - First of all, let me start off from the get go (offers condolences to family and thanks LE).

As far as the prosecution of this thing - this is absolutely a potential death penalty case. We are aware of abusive patterns in the past involving this young child. Some of the stuff that early on in the investigation showed, it just shocks the conscious that this type of abuse would go on and it certainly would establish that this case is potentially a death penalty case. (that would be an affirmative on DCFS prior involvement then).

My office's practice and procedure is to meet with the family. I want the entire investigative report that we can make an educated decision with the families, and the input of the families. The wants and desires of the family is very very important to me, so that is a decision we will make at some point in the future. In all probability this case will be taken to the grand jury in relatively short order and I anticipate 1st Degree Murder indictments on both.

Reporter - Does the murder charge mean no indication of natural death? (inaudible but sounds like he asked about Ezekiel being dead before he was placed in the trash can)

Chief - Yes.

Reporter - Can you say whether the mother has given you any information about the method of killing? Is she cooperating at all with you all in the investigation?

Chief - She cooperated with the discovery of Ezekiel but what occurred to Ezekiel is still being investigated.

Reporter - Is this the first time that a situation like this has happened here in Houma?

Chief - No, this is not the first time. We have our share of issues here.

Reporter - I guess there are people who say that there were problems in the household - they reached out to us on social media. What do you want to say to people who may feel that they live near a situation where children are in danger?.

Chief - If you see something, say something. If you make a report and you see something not being handled accordingly, by all means, push that envelope. Reach out to your LE professionals because we are here for those innocent kids. One comment I said yesterday is - we had several hundred years of experience of law enforcement that was out searching for this innocent child. Even with the hundreds and hundreds of experience, whatever happened to little Ezekiel Harry happened in the safe haven of his home, places that we only enter when we're called. We patrol the streets day in and day out but we're only called to these homes and enter these homes when we're called. So whatever happened to this innocent child we suspect may have happened in his safe haven.

Reporter - What would you say to the family that are trying to find justice for this 2 yr. old boy?

Chief - Continue supporting your LE - we're here for you. They were extremely cooperative with us yesterday. My heart breaks for what happened to this kid - we all have children within our family's around this age and they're innocent. They look up to parent's for support, they look up to parent's to be nurtured and what we endured yesterday just rocked our community.

(Reporter asks about the other children)

Chief - They were being talked to by DCFS and I don't know the outcome of where they are at this point.

Not the full interview transcribed, only the parts that weren't included in yesterday's press conference.

Interview with the Chief.

Reporter - There was some unofficial reports that surveillance video from one of the business's near where your command centre was yesterday had caught her, and the four children going near the water, possibly throwing the baby in the water. Was that accurate?

Chief - Yes. What we saw was whilst gathering the video surveillance, we saw the mom, which is Maya Jones walking with what appeared to be an infant carrier, a dark coloured infant carrier. She was followed by three other small children. At that point in the initial phases of the investigation we thought she had the kid with her, but as the investigation continued and we discovered little Ezekiel on Daspit St. - Now we believe that when she was carrying that carrier, it was, in fact, empty.

Reporter: There were reports, again, unofficial reports that the boyfriend had...was possibly being accused of some domestic violence in the past. Some type of violent behaviours and also drug use - Is that accurate?

Chief - Yes. There are some reports of some possible domestic violence that occurred, also some drug use. Our detectives....we're still in the infant stages of this, we're still scratching the surface. There's a lot more work that needs to be done and our investigators are working dilligently to try to dot all our i's and cross the t's.

Reporter - What is the suspected cause of death for Ezekiel?

Chief - We don't know the suspected cause of death. Ezekiel is in the possession of our Coroner's office and an autopsy is scheduled later and pending the results of the autopsy, we'll be notified.

Reporter - Today is the autopsy?

Chief - Yes.

Reporter - Does it look like he was beaten, or....

Chief - We do suspect some physical abuse and this is coming from one of our Coroner's Office Investigators, that based on initial observation they suspect some physical abuse, but a more thorough autopsy will be conducted later on today.

Reporter - The other three children - you said are with CPS?

Chief - Yes. As a result of this they were being interviewed by CPS and at this point we believe they're in the custody of child services.

Reporter - Did you see those children? How were they...what were their emotions?

Chief - (gives deep sigh) Distant, quiet. Like I said, whenever we spoke to the mom...initially when we were investigating an abduction, the kids were very quiet and as you can see in the video...I mean they were following their mother, which is the one who nurtures them, but unbeknownst to them, one of their siblings...you know...possibly died at the hands of their mother.

Reporter - So the mother is the main suspect who carried out the murder, the alleged murder, or....

Chief - We believe both, but like I said it's still under investigation.

Reporter - Had y'all ever been called out to that home before?

Chief - We believe that there are some calls that we went out to but our car patrol commander, as well as our detectives, are looking into any calls for service we have at that residence on Cardiere St.

Reporter - Was the mother awarded sole custody of the four children and...

Chief - That I don't know. I'm not aware of that but she had them in her custody yesterday.

Reporter - I talked to the father, Trey Harry, and the grandmother, Cynthia Harry, yesterday. They said they were questioned, will these children be released to them or....

Chief - We'll leave that up to DCFS.

(Reporter asks the Chief if he has any children. Chief says he has two children who are in their 20's, but he has some great nephews around Ezekiel's age. He has a great nephew who he has often and is scheduled to get him this weekend, but says if he hadn't worked a 16 hr. day yesterday he would have picked him up and spent some time with him. Goes on to talk about Ezekiel's dad)

Chief - Yesterday when I was talking to him I offered him support. I told him, I said 'you got three other kids that need their dad'. I said, 'I don't usually do this' but I shared by personal cell phone with him and I explained to him, 'if you need anything, if you need anything for those kids, by all means reach out to me'. I don't want to step on the toes of any family members...

Reporter - At this time is the paternal side of the family completely cleared of any wrongdoing?

Chief - We don't suspect anything from that side of the family.

I concur with @katydid23 he comes across as very compassionate.

Houma Police Chief Dana Coleman showed snapshots from a surveillance video that showed Jones walking and driving around with a black duffel bag allegedly containing the boy’s lifeless body before dumping it in a trash can on Daspit Street.

1657816726819.png

Last edited:
I'm horrified !! How does one: 1) kill a child? 2) place a child's body in a trash can? Rhetorical questions as it's beyond comprehension. Run, play, dance & laugh Ezekiel. My prayers are for his loved ones left behind. Such a precious child with a wonderful smile!

It's kind of touching for the chief of police to share his personal life like that, to even give a candid glimpse of what might be a complex custody situation inside his own family and be an example of how people in that community can and should be, and to be personally supportive of Ezekiel's bio dad as well. It really goes a long way toward balancing the negative perception of a community so hugely different from mine that cases like this can foster.

He also low-key seems to be really on the ball about what things are what departments' responsibility. He is careful not to imply that any of his officers can make statements about possible cause of death, he's accepting of the possibility that there could have been past police visits to the home that might be scrutinized and there is a subtext that children's services owes the public an explanation of why these kids were with their mother and her violent boyfriend instead of with their father.

That can create a while new kind of difficult situation though where the bio father who really should be given a good chance at getting custody of his kids can be made to look bad because children's services are put in a position by the media to justify why he didn't have custody to begin with. It's one of the paradoxes that I see pop up in cases here involving kids. It's just terrible how often children are victims.

The garbage can on Daspit Street in Houma was where two-year-old Ezekiel Harry's body was found. Now that can is surrounded by teddy bears, balloons and a toy truck.
[Neighbor Sarah] Plaisance says sometimes the yelling in the house was so aggressive that she feared for the safety of the children.

"I don't really see the kids a lot, they stay inside a lot, they keep the kids inside most of the time," Plaisance told Eyewitness News.

She said she did report the shouting to the police. "I called the cops, crying and shaking, I said please send somebody out here he is going to kill somebody in this house," Plaisance said.

Plaisance said Ezekiel’s family moved in after Hurricane Ida. The yelling she heard between two adults began two and a half months ago, worsening three weeks ago.
"I could just hear the kids screaming and crying in that house, what else could I do?" Plaisance said

Long article:

A neighbor, who didn’t want to be identified, was alerted to the alleged “abduction” when Jones began banging on her front door.

“At first she was anxious, I thought maybe she was in shock. But I was anxious too. I was about ready to have a panic attack,” the neighbor told FOX 8, saying Jones asked to use her phone to call 911. “I’m heartbroken. I’m devastated that she would come into my home and do this, and not speak the truth. She knew the truth the whole time.”

Once police arrived to question Jones, they said her story began to unravel, leading them to Daspit Street in West Houma. There, they located Harry’s remains, dumped in a trash can.
“I started getting really scared because the screaming would last nights on end,” [Neighbor Sarah] Plaisance said. “All you would hear is him screaming and yelling. You can hear it inside my house, to the point that I had to move my daughter out of her room. Her room is in the upstairs corner of my house, and it was so bad that she couldn’t sleep at night.”

She says she called the police several times, with the last time coming just weeks ago during a major fight because one of the children broke Robinson’s phone, Plaisance said.

“I could hear him screaming and yelling and saying, ‘get off the floor.’ And he kept screaming it over and over for 30 minutes,” Plaisance said. “I was shaking, I was crying, I said ‘please get out here before he kills somebody.’”

She said when police arrived, Jones covered for her boyfriend.

“Nothing was ever done. They left, and for the past two weeks it’s been quiet around the house. I thought things were getting better, but I guess they were just keeping things on the quiet,” Plaisance said.
Plaisance said she even filed a complaint with the Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services, leaving out her name because she was afraid of Robinson finding out, but providing the address of the home and details of abuse.
In Thibodaux, where Harry attended daycare at Lots-O-Tots until recently, staff members are raising money for his father and family to support them in their time of need.
“He was bubbly, he laughed a lot,” said Harry’s teacher Tammy Gibbens. “Never cried. Even if he fell, he would get up and get back to what he was doing. Never had time out or never had to talk to him. He was just happy.”

Gibbens said when Harry first entered her classroom, he was shy and timid. But soon, he broke out of his shell, bringing the class to light with his dancing.

Pic from the article:
1657910841647.png

Last edited:
Just adding this article to the thread:

"Investigators say a 2-year-old who was found dead in a Houma trash can died from severe blunt force trauma to the head.

The Houma Police Department published the cause of death of 2-year-old Ezekiel Harry on Friday, adding that the official coroner's report is still awaiting toxicology test results".

Grr, does Mom's smile in her mugshot bother anyone else?

Also adding:

"Jermaine Robinson, 36, was in and out of the Lafourche Parish criminal justice system, facing a 2017 charge of distribution of drugs and a 2009 charge of second-degree cruelty to a juvenile. Robinson pled guilty to both charges.

On the cruelty charge, Robinson was sentenced to serve five months at the Lafourche Parish Detention Center. He was sentenced to 11 days on the drug charge, but was credited with time served.

In Terrebonne Parish, Robinson was arrested in 2005 for a hit and run, and in 2006 pled guilty. He also faced 2016 felony charges of armed robbery, but accepted a plea deal for simple robbery and was sentenced to nine months with credit for time served".

I also have to say that I have seen some info and photos about Ezekiel's relationship with his father and stepmother and it appears Ezekiel was very much loved there. That brings me some small comfort in this tragedy.

Just adding this article to the thread:

"Investigators say a 2-year-old who was found dead in a Houma trash can died from severe blunt force trauma to the head.

The Houma Police Department published the cause of death of 2-year-old Ezekiel Harry on Friday, adding that the official coroner's report is still awaiting toxicology test results".

Sad but not surprising. :(

Mothers can't choose the color of their eyes or whether their hair is curly or straight but they sure as hell can choose how they care for their kids and what partner they expose them to. I'm sick of it.

Maya Gwenlyn Jones, 28, and Jermaine Michael Robinson, 37, were indicted Aug. 12 on first-degree murder and obstruction of justice charges in the death of Ezekiel Harry. Both have pleaded not guilty.

Ezekiel died from severe, blunt-force trauma to the head, autopsy results show. Police allege Jones and Robinson had carried the child’s body for hours on Houma streets in a black duffel bag, then dumped the bag in a trash bin on Daspit Street, a block from Houma Police headquarters.

The two are being held in the Terrebonne Parish jail, each on $5.1 million bail.

More info in the link

Ezekiel Harry, 2, was last seen around noon Tuesday (July 12) at a walking track near Main and...

Ezekiel Harry, 2, was last seen around noon Tuesday (July 12) at a walking track near Main and Mahler streets in Houma

Police said the mother initially told them she was walking along Bayou Terrebonne with her four children, when someone in a gray truck snatched Ezekiel off the roadway and fled the area. But investigators said they quickly developed confirming information that her account was “inaccurate.”

Houma police said they determined Jones was seen walking from her home on Cadiere Street with Ezekiel and with her three other children between the ages of 5 and 10. Once arriving at Bayou Terrebonne near Mahler Street, Jones began stopping at nearby homes, saying her youngest child had been abducted.

Chief Coleman said Jones was caught on surveillance video walking and driving with a black duffel bag allegedly containing Harry’s lifeless body before dumping him.

The Terrebonne Parish District Attorney says he may seek the death penalty against Jones and Robinson. He will meet with the victim’s family before making that determination.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmu
Back