LA LA - Janet Landry Brice, 21, Baton Rouge, Aug 1982

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you, Sunnybrook for all your information.
I'm adding your sister's Charley Project page link as Charley Project recently changed formats and old links to it are no good. http://charleyproject.org/case/janet-landry-brice
From the link:
Brice dropped another friend off at her home and continued with the man in the direction of Cedarcrest

I was curious, do you know the friend who was dropped off, was he or she able to give a description of the man, being in close quarters with him?

Thank you, Sunnybrook for all your information.
I'm adding your sister's Charley Project page link as Charley Project recently changed formats and old links to it are no good. http://charleyproject.org/case/janet-landry-brice
From the link:

I was curious, do you know the friend who was dropped off, was he or she able to give a description of the man, being in close quarters with him?

I don't remember his name, but apparently he was a well known friend who drank too much to drive that night and had asked her if he could sleep at her apartment til sober enough to drive home. She agreed and left to give the other "friend" a ride home. When he woke up later that day, Jan had not returned so he left her a note saying thanks for letting me sleep it off ..Unfortunately, he was too enebriated to remember any details. He was known to be a frequent "happy drunk" with no evidence of violence in his background. His alibi was investigated and he was cleared of any charges.

I don't remember his name, but apparently he was a well known friend who drank too much to drive that night and had asked her if he could sleep at her apartment til sober enough to drive home. She agreed and left to give the other "friend" a ride home. When he woke up later that day, Jan had not returned so he left her a note saying thanks for letting me sleep it off ..Unfortunately, he was too enebriated to remember any details. He was known to be a frequent "happy drunk" with no evidence of violence in his background. His alibi was investigated and he was cleared of any charges.

Darn it, but I can relate. I had friends like that. I, myself, can't remember ever being so inebriated that I couldn't remember the "night before" but I know it happens.

ETA: Sunnybrook, just curious, have you gone through Doe Project and NamUs and looked at possible cases that could be your sister?

Darn it, but I can relate. I had friends like that. I, myself, can't remember ever being so inebriated that I couldn't remember the "night before" but I know it happens.

ETA: Sunnybrook, just curious, have you gone through Doe Project and NamUs and looked at possible cases that could be your sister?

We always laughed at each other, Jan was the party girl, and I was asleep after the first drink.
As for the Doe Project and NameUs, I spent a great deal of time on those two sites, several years ago, looking for anything similar to Jan but, given the time frame, her age and physical characteristics, no one was even remotely comparable.

However, there was another woman who disappeared a couple of years later that was eerily similar to Jan. Her name was Donna Christine O'Bannion, and like Jan, she was tall, slender, blonde hair, blue eyes, tattoos, wearing jeans and a tee shirt. She worked at a lounge in Baton Rouge that was on the same highway as the one whereJan worked. She, too, left work one night and was never seen again. Very little information is available, but I sure would like to compare notes with someone familiar with the case!

We always laughed at each other, Jan was the party girl, and I was asleep after the first drink.
As for the Doe Project and NameUs, I spent a great deal of time on those two sites, several years ago, looking for anything similar to Jan but, given the time frame, her age and physical characteristics, no one was even remotely comparable.

However, there was another woman who disappeared a couple of years later that was eerily similar to Jan. Her name was Donna Christine O'Bannion, and like Jan, she was tall, slender, blonde hair, blue eyes, tattoos, wearing jeans and a tee shirt. She worked at a lounge in Baton Rouge that was on the same highway as the one whereJan worked. She, too, left work one night and was never seen again. Very little information is available, but I sure would like to compare notes with someone familiar with the case!

I found Donna Christine O'Banion on Charley Project, but it reads there are few details in her case.

Here's her Websleuths page, you could leave a post there for anyone who may know her to contact you? It looks like the page was recently created. It also has links to her Charley Page and Namus.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?371263-LA-Donna-O-Banion-25-Baton-Rouge-23-Oct-1985

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

I found Donna Christine O'Banion on Charley Project, but it reads there are few details in her case.

Here's her Websleuths page, you could leave a post there for anyone who may know her to contact you? It looks like the page was recently created. It also has links to her Charley Page and Namus.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?371263-LA-Donna-O-Banion-25-Baton-Rouge-23-Oct-1985

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

ETA: I know this was mentioned before, but time is of the essence before they lose funding again, but NamUs recently reopened to obtaining family DNA samples. I definitely would contact them to get the ball rolling before the money runs out. Do you have anything of Jan's that might contain DNA, like baby teeth or an old hair brush? They even got DNA from a postage stamp a missing person had licked. Just some suggestions.

ETA: I know this was mentioned before, but time is of the essence before they lose funding again, but NamUs recently reopened to obtaining family DNA samples. I definitely would contact them to get the ball rolling before the money runs out. Do you have anything of Jan's that might contain DNA, like baby teeth or an old hair brush? They even got DNA from a postage stamp a missing person had licked. Just some suggestions.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll conatact them this week...sadly there are very few of Jan's things left, none of which would have DNA . The best I think I can do is DNA samples from our siblings...Thanks!

Janet Landry Brice

Missing From: Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana

127_1.jpg 127_2.jpg

Physical/Clothing/Medical
DOB: 07/08/1961
Height: 5’7” (67”)
Weight: 110 lbs.
Hair: Light Brown to Blonde Curly
Eye: Blue
Race: White
Sex: Female
Clothing: White T-Shirt, gray sleeves and black stripes with ‘Alaska’ on front, blue jeans
Jewelry:
Medical/Scars: Bump center of forehead, lump on chin, tattoo of a flower between thumb and index finger on unknown hand, Scar on unknown knee
Transportation: Tan and Brown 1973 Ford Galaxy 500 (Found)
Fingerprint Status: Fingerprint information is currently not available (05/03/18)
Dental Status: Dental information / charting is available and entered (05/03/18)
DNA Status: Sample currently not available (05/03/18)

Circumstances:
On the evening of August 15th, 1982 Janet was at the Rack Lounge on Florida Blvd with friends. During the evening Janet had encountered a man that she told her friends was an old school friend named ‘Randy’. Janet offered a ride home to ‘Randy’ whom lived in the Cedarcrest area. Janet dropped off another friend at her apartment on Kolin Drive at about 2:30 am and drove in the direction of Cedarcrest. Janet was never heard nor seen again and the old school friend Randy that was the last person with Janet has not been identified.

Janet’s 1973 Tan and Brown Ford Galaxy 500 was found around six weeks later near Belaire High School (12121 Tams Dr) in a large apartment complex. The keys were in the car and it had been abandoned for a month then later driven by people in the neighborhood.

Janet’s husband was working offshore at the time of her disappearance.

In June 1983 LE was to question Henry Lee Lucas in regards to the disappearance of Janet Landry Brice (Aug 1982) and Eleanor Parker (Nov 1981). LE had no indication at the time that he was involved with the unsolved missing persons in Baton rouge however did want to question him.

Investigating Agency:
East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office
8900 Jimmy Wedell Drive 70807
MP Case # 82-21490, 02-10941, 82-1228
Tele: 225.389.5000
Web: http://www.ebrso.org/

National Crime Information Center (NCIC)
MP Case # M-094735158
Web: https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/ncic

Information Resources:

NAMUS
MP Case # 1581: https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/1581/232
Case Manager: Teresa Wilson - Tele: 225.578.4761
Case Manager: Stacey Pearson – Tele: 337.262.3320

Doe Network
MP Case # 1371DFLA: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1371dfla.html
Case Manager: Valda Richards – valdarichards@doenetwork.org

LSU Faces
LSU Faces Case MP Case # 10: http://identifyla.lsu.edu/profile.php?id=127
Teresa Wilson – Tele: 225.578.4761
Maria Allaire – Tele: 225.578.4775
General E-Mail: faces@lsu.edu
LSU Faces Laboratory FB: https://www.facebook.com/pg/lsufaceslab/posts/

Charley Project:http://charleyproject.org/case/janet-landry-brice
National Missing Person Directory: http://www.missingin.org/reg1162/janet_landry_brice.htm
California Department of Justice: https://oag.ca.gov/missing/person/janet-landry-brice

News Articles

08/31/82 – The Advocate, Baton Rouge, LA
06/24/83 – The Advocate, Baton Rouge, LA

Did the girls she was hanging out studied with Janet? Were they able to give a description of Randy?

Do not believe Janet was a college student at the time, nor have I been able to find where there was any description provided of 'Randy'. All thou Sunnybrook said Janet's friend(s) did go through year books and could not identify 'Randy' a description would be great thou.

Sunnybrook would you be able to kindly clarify

Do not believe Janet was a college student at the time, nor have I been able to find where there was any description provided of 'Randy'. All thou Sunnybrook said Janet's friend(s) did go through year books and could not identify 'Randy' a description would be great thou.

Sunnybrook would you be able to kindly clarify
Jan never went to college, her friends were all from High School or the neighborhood. "Randy" was supposedly the name of a friend that she was going to give a ride home. One witness stated that she was giving him a ride because he had some furniture to sell.
Now, here's the thing about "Randy," LE said that they interviewed all of the school friends, who in turn went through all of the yearbooks. They said they spent a lot of time looking for him but "it's as if he never existed!" However, there was a long-time neighborhood friend named Randy, they did go to school together, and he was neither well liked, nor trusted by Jan or any of the friends. (don't know if I'm allowed to give his full name) He was later arrested on charges of sexual abuse, incarcerated and is listed on the sex offender registry. It later came out that Jan did not want to give him a ride home, but she fell obligated. Our family still has their suspicionss...
Also, one piece of information turned up years later. Her husband was scheduled to leave for his job on a tug boat that Friday so, to my knowledge, he was never investigated; but apparently, due to bad weather they didn't leave until the following Monday.

Hi Sunnybrook, TY you so very much for responding!!

So all of the friends Jan was with that night seen Randy, and from what I can recall Randy and the other friend Jan dropped off first was in the car prior to her disappearance. With that being said was a photo of the neighborhood friend shown to Jan's friends that were with her that night?

If her husband did not leave as scheduled would he have been at the apartment where Jan dropped off her friend that passed out at her apartment then woke up and she had not returned?

Last edited:
Hi Sunnybrook, TY you so very much for responding!!

So all of the friends Jan was with that night seen Randy, and from what I can recall Randy and the other friend Jan dropped off first was in the car prior to her disappearance. With that being said was a photo of the neighborhood friend shown to Jan's friends that were with her that night?

If her husband did not leave as scheduled would he have been at the apartment where Jan dropped off her friend that passed out at her apartment then woke up and she had not returned?
Sorry, must have missed this...Good question! It was YEARS before her husband let slip that he had been in town for that weekend. My mother said he was never investigated and it always bothered her that they never checked to see if he left as planned. He made the comment to my brother and sister-in-law and they reported it to LE and that's as far as it went. BUT, I just realized, we all assumed he left that Friday because that's the alibi he gave, but obviously, he lied, so where was he that whole weekend? If nothing happened why would he flat out lie about his whereabouts? Hmmm...

Sorry, must have missed this...Good question! It was YEARS before her husband let slip that he had been in town for that weekend. My mother said he was never investigated and it always bothered her that they never checked to see if he left as planned. He made the comment to my brother and sister-in-law and they reported it to LE and that's as far as it went. BUT, I just realized, we all assumed he left that Friday because that's the alibi he gave, but obviously, he lied, so where was he that whole weekend? If nothing happened why would he flat out lie about his whereabouts? Hmmm...
The more I think about this, the more some things make sense. Her car had been found in the parking lot of a large apartment complex about 6-8 weeks later, someone had been driving it, but according to a neighbor the car had been abandoned for about a month before someone suddenly started driving it. I always thought it strange, who would leave a car untouched for 30 days and then start using it?... Except maybe someone who was out of town for a month working on a tug boat? He wouldn't have been able to go back into the apartment when he returned, so where was he staying?

LE did not verify with his employer that he was actually on board and at work at the time of her disapearance? IMO the spouse should be the 1st person to be questioned then fan out to family and friends there after.

It's possible tge car had just been sitting there then after some time people noticed checked it out found the keys were in it or hot wired it and started using it. There was an incident not long ago where the car was stolen left in a not so great neighborhood various persons had been driving the car until LE checked it and found it was stolen.

Have you made contact with LSU Faces or NAMUS to inquire about providing DNA ?

Wasn’t there another young mother, Hannah Jane (don’t remember her last name or year).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14
Back