Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
4 things to know as Terry Speaks faces trial in Jaren Lockhart's murder
By Andrea Shaw, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on June 15, 2015 at 12:23 PM, updated June 15, 2015 at 12:25 PM

[...]
  1. Speaks, 42, will act as his own attorney. Judge Stephen Grefer rejected Speaks' claims that public defender John Benz had provided "ineffective'' counsel in preparing for Speaks' case. But Benz and attorney Brad Scott will be retained as advisors to Speaks.
  2. Grefer rejected a defense motion to continue the case based on Benz's suggestion of links between Lockhart's death and the bodies of two young women found recently on Interstate 10 in Metairie and eastern New Orleans. Investigator Kevin Smith testified that there was no connection among the deaths.
  3. Grefer will allow prosecutors to use evidence of Speaks fleeing authorities and his attempt to get police to shoot him when arrested June 12, 2012 in Tangipahoa Parish. Prosecutor Doug Freese said the actions "establish the defendants consciousness of guilt.''
  4. An initial pool of 50 prospective jurors was called around 11:30 a.m., sworn and given instructions by Grefer before breaking for lunch. They have since returned as formal questioning gets underway.

Rob Krieger
‏@Rob_Krieger

Jury selection underway now in Terry Speaks murder trial. Each potential juror giving judge a brief bio before voir dire.
@FOX8NOLA

https://twitter.com/Rob_Krieger/status/610507029388464128

Rob Krieger ‏@Rob_Krieger 9m9 minutes ago Gretna, LA
Prosecutor to potential jurors: Every time Speaks stands before you and says something I couldn't say as a lawyer, I will object

Rob Krieger ‏@Rob_Krieger 4m4 minutes ago Gretna, LA
Prosecutor: Disregard any comment Speaks makes, unless it comes from witness stand. Unless on stand anything he says means nothing

Rob Krieger ‏@Rob_Krieger 24m24 minutes ago
Prosecutor to Speaks trial jury pool: You should absolutely consider if the witness has a motive to lie on the stand.

Rob Krieger ‏@Rob_Krieger 12m12 minutes ago
Speaks to jury pool: The DA did a really good job, but remember I'm innocent until he proves me guilty.

Rob Krieger ‏@Rob_Krieger 6m6 minutes ago
Speaks having trouble coming up w/ hypothetical story to explain his thoughts to jury pool. Judge sustaining objections

https://twitter.com/Rob_Krieger

Rob Krieger ‏@Rob_Krieger 22m22 minutes ago

Second panel of jurors being questioned by Speaks now. Nine jurors sat from first panel. @FOX8NOLA

Rob Krieger ‏@Rob_Krieger 19m19 minutes ago

Speaks using analogy of child stealing cookies to warn jury pool from speculation. "Speculation, I just learned that word myself." @FOX8NOLA
0 retweets 0 favorites

just trying to help out bessie :seeya: hope that's okay

Rob Krieger ‏@Rob_Krieger 8m8 minutes ago Gretna, LA

12-member jury sat in Speaks murder trial. 8 women, 6 men selected. Speaks accused of killing & dismembering Jaren Lockhart in '12 @FOX8NOLA

Rob Krieger ‏@Rob_Krieger 47m47 minutes ago

Speaks using analogy of child stealing cookies to warn jury pool from speculation. "Speculation, I just learned that word myself."
https://twitter.com/Rob_Krieger/status/610564772690460672

:doh: No wonder they seated the jury so quickly. What a fool!

ETA: Oh, hey there, QB. Didn't see you. Sure it's okay. Thank you!

Thanks Bessie and fellow sleuthers for the minute by minute reports today. We're spending a few days at the beach and it's nice knowing there are so many keeping watch in NOLA as we wait for justice for Jaren to finally happen.

Guessing that the trial will continue tomorrow? Any ideas on who will be called to testify for prosecution or defense.

Happy this is finally happen. Speaks is an idiot to represent himself, but then again, more power to him. He is goi g to die in prison for what he did to beautiful Jaren.

And speaking of Jaren, I am so sick of media making note of her profession in every darn news segment. Jaren was a woman. A daughter. A mom. May she rest in peace.

Rob Krieger ‏@Rob_Krieger 10m10 minutes ago

Testimony in Terry Speaks murder trial begins today. Speaks accused of killing & dismembering Jaren Lockhart in 2012. @FOX8NOLA

Rob Krieger ‏@Rob_Krieger 1m1 minute ago

Speaks requests witnesses be sequestered. Judge grants motion, several people walk out, but courtroom still standing room only. @FOX8NOLA

Speaks requests witnesses be sequestered. Judge grants motion, several people walk out, but courtroom still standing room only. @FOX8NOLA

Checking in before we head down to the sand and surf. Keep it coming, QB. I can't wait to see who is called to testify, especially by the defense:thinking:

Rob Krieger ‏@Rob_Krieger 4m4 minutes ago

ADA Doug Freese: "The opening statement is not evidence... This is a case about how people handle death." @FOX8NOLA

Rob Krieger ‏@Rob_Krieger 50s51 seconds ago

Freese: "They demonstrated their absolute lack of respect for the law, for [Jaren's] life, for basic human dignity." @FOX8NOLA

Rob Krieger ‏@Rob_Krieger 3m3 minutes ago

Freese: "They were asking for a girl for a threesome and they were offering staggering amounts of money." @FOX8NOLA

Rob Krieger ‏@Rob_Krieger 2m2 minutes ago

Freese telling jury Lockhart wanted to make quick cash from Speaks. "She packed boots and panties with a distinctive flare." @FOX8NOLA

Rob Krieger ‏@Rob_Krieger 7m7 minutes ago

Freese "3 people who left together for a very specific purpose & were together for approx 20 mins before they fade away from the cameras."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Rob Krieger ‏@Rob_Krieger 4m4 minutes ago

Freese: "At 2:08 am Jaren is seen with Sanchez and Speaks and then she is never seen alive again." @FOX8NOLA

Freese tells jurors about witness who saw Speaks near open trunk of car "I saw him with a garbage bag, he was definitely startled"@FOX8NOLA

Rob Krieger ‏@Rob_Krieger 2m2 minutes ago

Bouncer at club asks speaks when Jaren went missing: "They left with you, what happened to her?" Freese: Speaks brushed him off. @FOX8NOLA

Rob Krieger ‏@Rob_Krieger 5m5 minutes ago

Freese "You will see that articles of clothes washed up on the beach including the panties with flare from the video."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChillThrills
Back