Found Deceased LA - Joyce "B. U." Thomas, adult, Deaf/mute, Ville Platte, 26 Feb 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
:eek::mad: Wow! I'd love to hear what the parole board responsible for his release (and Ms. BU's disappearance, imo) have to say about their decision to release him. What in the world could he have said or done to convince them that he was fit for parole? :confused:

OPD: Dewoody "person of interest" in kidnapping

UPDATE: We have more details on the criminal record of Phillip Dewoody, under arrest in connection with the disappearance of a Ville Platte woman and also is a person of interest in an Opelousas kidnapping.

Snip

The DOC spokesman tells us that DeWoody was serving a 117 year, 2 month, 12 day sentence for crimes that began in 1984, including:

· Dec. 7, 1984 - Armed Robbery conviction (Caddo Parish) (offense date - 9-25-1984) – 15 year sentence
· April 24, 1985 - Simple Burglary conviction (Bossier Parish) (offense date - 9-25-1984) – 2 years 6 month sentence, served consecutive to the 15 year Armed Robbery sentence.
· June 14, 1993 – Released on goodtime parole for the 1984 Armed Robbery and 1985 Simple Burglary convictions
· On December 7, 1993, DeWoody was convicted of the following crimes and his goodtime parole was revoked due to the new crimes:
o Second Degree Kidnapping (Lincoln Parish) (offense date - 10-20-93) – 40 year sentence served concurrent with the 8 year, 2 month, 12 day remaining sentence for the goodtime parole revocation for the 1984 and 1985 convictions
o Aggravated Escape (Lincoln Parish) (offense date - 10-20-93) – 10 year sentence served consecutive to the parole revocation sentence, but concurrent with the 40 year Second Degree Kidnapping sentence
o 2 counts of Armed Robbery (offense date - 8-3-93) (Lincoln Parish) – 99 years each for each count, served concurrent with each other and concurrent with the 40 year Second Degree Kidnapping sentence, but consecutive to the 10 year Aggravated Escape sentence and the time remaining on the parole revocation (grand total 117 years, 2 months, and 12 days.

:eek::mad: Wow! I'd love to hear what the parole board responsible for his release (and Ms. BU's disappearance, imo) have to say about their decision to release him. What in the world could he have said or done to convince them that he was fit for parole? :confused:

UPDATE: We have more details on the criminal record of Phillip Dewoody, under arrest in connection with the disappearance of a Ville Platte woman and also is a person of interest in an Opelousas kidnapping.

Snip

The DOC spokesman tells us that DeWoody was serving a 117 year, 2 month, 12 day sentence for crimes that began in 1984, including:

· Dec. 7, 1984 - Armed Robbery conviction (Caddo Parish) (offense date - 9-25-1984) – 15 year sentence
· April 24, 1985 - Simple Burglary conviction (Bossier Parish) (offense date - 9-25-1984) – 2 years 6 month sentence, served consecutive to the 15 year Armed Robbery sentence.
· June 14, 1993 – Released on goodtime parole for the 1984 Armed Robbery and 1985 Simple Burglary convictions
· On December 7, 1993, DeWoody was convicted of the following crimes and his goodtime parole was revoked due to the new crimes:
o Second Degree Kidnapping (Lincoln Parish) (offense date - 10-20-93) – 40 year sentence served concurrent with the 8 year, 2 month, 12 day remaining sentence for the goodtime parole revocation for the 1984 and 1985 convictions
o Aggravated Escape (Lincoln Parish) (offense date - 10-20-93) – 10 year sentence served consecutive to the parole revocation sentence, but concurrent with the 40 year Second Degree Kidnapping sentence
o 2 counts of Armed Robbery (offense date - 8-3-93) (Lincoln Parish) – 99 years each for each count, served concurrent with each other and concurrent with the 40 year Second Degree Kidnapping sentence, but consecutive to the 10 year Aggravated Escape sentence and the time remaining on the parole revocation (grand total 117 years, 2 months, and 12 days.
And, those are just the ones they know about! :eek::mad: MOO

:eek::mad: Wow! I'd love to hear what the parole board responsible for his release (and Ms. BU's disappearance, imo) … RSBM :confused:

TWO kidnappings. Previously convicted of kidnapping and now a suspect in two more; this isn't going to end well at all. I can't believe this monster was allowed back onto the streets.

Snip

Here's his appeal rulings ...

STATE v. DeWOODY | 645 So.2d 290 (1994) | so2d2901913 | Leagle.com

I just want to say that the 1st court had it correct … he has proven to be "of the most serious violators".

Phillip DeWoody

His FB says he’s a butcher.

Exactly! My prehistoric age failed attempts to find his entire FB page, but I could see he claimed to be a butcher.

Now, does he have other aliases on FB? The guy is a sociopathic, scarry creeper so? Not swearing or giving creedence but there's pages could or not be him going by ummmm part of last name with uhhh butcher included. Point blank whoever that it is nasty, mean, and plain sadistic person found it real important to dime someone out on social media as a prostitute. Vietnamese in America bettered herself, but sadly at some point had to do whatever she had to do.
Pay me no mind. This can't help Miss Joyce. I thought of her half the night. My heart goes out to her family.

For me this thing looks like a tablet.

Hold the phone or car. Do Uber, and Lyft and the likes use these tablets to get their rides?

Legitimate question as Filly is a clueless old lady who has been in a dang Uber once
with a friend.

Miss Joyce I'm praying.

Wait! Back in the day our deaf community used ASL. American Sign Language. No doubt with the use of technology the phones and tablets are implemented? Can anyone give perspective? Thanks in advance.

Hold the phone or car. Do Uber, and Lyft and the likes use these tablets to get their rides?

Legitimate question as Filly is a clueless old lady who has been in a dang Uber once
with a friend.

Miss Joyce I'm praying.

Wait! Back in the day our deaf community used ASL. American Sign Language. No doubt with the use of technology the phones and tablets are implemented? Can anyone give perspective? Thanks in advance.

These are excellent questions! I look forward to seeing if anyone gives their perspective on either of them.

Oh and don’t be too hard on yourself @Filly :p!!!
As far as Uber and Lyft, you’re ahead of me on that...I’ve never used either and I’m in my 30’s! But I guess when you live in rural AR, there’s not much use for em. :p:D

These are excellent questions! I look forward to seeing if anyone gives their perspective on either of them.

Oh and don’t be too hard on yourself @Filly :p!!!
I’m in my 30’s! But I guess when you live in rural AR, there’s not much use for em. :p:D

Not for a second dismissing the severity of Miss Joyce missing. Just had to comment to mlhenn. Hey, thanks first of all for not judging my old age, but secondly any old time ya wanted to travel to good old Philadelphia shout out.

Bless you! You're a kind, young prson don't need no stinkin car share.

MAR 1, 2020
Family, friends pray for missing Ville Platte woman's return: 'She's the best person to be around'
[...]

Thomas has been missing since Wednesday, when she was last seen at her apartment complex on Chataignier Street in Ville Platte. ...

[...]

JG, Thomas’ nephew, said his aunt is a strong woman. She and her sisters are women who speak their minds, assert themselves and don’t allow themselves to be pushed around. She has fire inside of her, JG said.

“I have a feeling she’s still alive because she’s a strong woman,” he said. “She’s going to put up a fight.”

[...]

“While she may not be able to talk to you, she could always communicate, even if you never met her a day in your life. She had a certain communication skill. She’s a very strong people’s person,” he [her grandson] said.

A surveillance photo released by family members depicted a man at Joyce Thomas’ apartment door the morning she disappeared. Law enforcement officials have not confirmed if the photo was of DeWoody, but the two men have similar features.

[...]

The 72-year-old was also discerning, and when she met someone, or they knocked on her door, she’d analyze their face to assess their facial expression and mood. If she didn’t trust you, she wasn’t afraid to slam the door in your face, Haley Gallow said.

RB, Joyce Thomas’ neighbor, agreed the 72-year-old was particular about who she would let into her apartment. The two were neighbors for six years and RB said she knew Joyce Thomas to let very few people inside; maintenance staff only came to check her television and she’d meet Meals on Wheels volunteers or prescription deliveries at the complex’s front door, RB said.

[...]

While sharing thoughts about Joyce Thomas, RB told the gathered prayer group how her neighbor would scratch and tap on her wall at night if her television was too loud, feeling the vibrations through the wall.

“I could use that little scratch right now,” she said.

UPDATE: State Police say the body of missing Ville Platte woman Joyce Thomas has been found.

State Police: Body of missing Ville Platte woman found

Oh gosh - from that link - why was this man let out of prison?!:

Phillip Dewoody, already under arrest in the disappearance of Thomas, has also been booked in connection with the kidnapping of an Opelousas woman.

As we told you Sunday, he was considered a person of interest in the Opelousas case. He's now been booked with second-degree kidnapping charges in that case.

Police tell KATC that it was the victim in the Opelousas case who helped them find the body of Joyce Thomas. She told detectives where Dewoody allegedly took her after he kidnapped her, police say.

UPDATED 2:29pm
State Police the investigation now will shift to a homicide investigation. The coroner is still on the scene, so a cause of death hasn't been released, a spokesman said.
Phillip Dewoody, already jailed and accused of kidnapping Thomas, has admitted to being the man on surveillance video from Thomas' apartment complex, troopers said.

Oh gosh - from that link - why was this man let out of prison?!:

Phillip Dewoody, already under arrest in the disappearance of Thomas, has also been booked in connection with the kidnapping of an Opelousas woman.

As we told you Sunday, he was considered a person of interest in the Opelousas case. He's now been booked with second-degree kidnapping charges in that case.

Police tell KATC that it was the victim in the Opelousas case who helped them find the body of Joyce Thomas. She told detectives where Dewoody allegedly took her after he kidnapped her, police say.

I agree! Why was this man ever given the opportunity to hurt someone else again by being out on the streets?

I pray for this family as they now have to deal with such a tragic loss that did not have to happen.

@Filly
Tragic news unfortunately.....

•Dewoody also has been booked in connection with the kidnapping of an Opelousas woman.

•He's now been booked with second-degree kidnapping charges in that case.

•Police state that it was the victim in the Opelousas case who helped them find the body of Joyce Thomas. She told detectives where Dewoody allegedly took her after he kidnapped her. Thomas has now been found deceased.

•On February 28, the victim picked Dewoody out of a photo line-up, police say.
•The victim told police that Dewoody drove up to her near the intersection of Madison and Foulard streets, forced her into a vehicle, and took her out of the city, where he assaulted her. She's recovering, police said.

Police also tell us there may be other victims out there. If you're the victim of a crime, please report it to your local law enforcement.

BREAKING: Missing Ville Platte Found Deceased - News15 | Lafayette, LA

•Thomas’s body was found near the I-49 service road, exit 11 in the Sunset/Grand Coteau area this morning.
•During a press release, State Police stated they are still working the scene along with several other agencies.
• The suspect has been identified as the person seen in a doorbell camera video.
•It is unknown if the victim and suspect knew each other.
•According to State Police the case will be upgraded from kidnapping to murder.
•The suspect has not confessed to the murder of Joyce Thomas and it is not known if he is cooperating with police.
•This investigation is ongoing and this is still an active crime scene.

BREAKING: Missing Ville Platte Found Deceased - News15 | Lafayette, LA

•Thomas’s body was found near the I-49 service road, exit 11 in the Sunset/Grand Coteau area this morning.
•During a press release, State Police stated they are still working the scene along with several other agencies.
• The suspect has been identified as the person seen in a doorbell camera video.
•It is unknown if the victim and suspect knew each other.
•According to State Police the case will be upgraded from kidnapping to murder.
•The suspect has not confessed to the murder of Joyce Thomas and it is not known if he is cooperating with police.
•This investigation is ongoing and this is still an active crime scene.
Wow.

:(:(:(

Rest in peace, Ms. Thomas.
g10008.gif

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members