LA - Lacey Fletcher 36, GRAPHIC, disabled, found dead, on couch for years, Jan'22 *Parents arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

That's one thing and they're decomposed.Lacey did not decompose.She rotted in her own body,​

in that hole in that sewer,
in the couch.

From the start this quote had me so confused... what does this even mean??!

I guess Idk the difference between "rot" & "decompose" ... what are they saying about the state of Lacey's body that's different from every other body?

Whatever exactly this rare state is, maybe it comes from something her parents did to her?? Could they have poisoned her with something that prevented normal post-mortem changes??
Just speculation/ JMO

Exactly!
I wanted to write it myself!

I remember reading that somebody knew of Lacey's condition/death and forced the parents to call authorities.

But I read it soooo long ago.
At the very beginning.
But never forgot it :(

But then,
I was not surprised as in my country a death certificate must be signed by a doctor.
It is an official document.
You cannot bury a person without official documents.
There is a lot of "paper work" involved with many institutions.

However, Blades revealed to DailyMail.com that Sheila Fletcher might have been forced to make that call.

'There was one neighbor here, we don't know who it was, had supposedly seen Lacey on the couch like that and told the parents they had to call the police,' he said. 'And that's what we were told. I don't know how much truth there is in that.'

However, Blades revealed to DailyMail.com that Sheila Fletcher might have been forced to make that call.

'There was one neighbor here, we don't know who it was, had supposedly seen Lacey on the couch like that and told the parents they had to call the police,' he said. 'And that's what we were told. I don't know how much truth there is in that.'
Thanks for finding it !!!
Yes.
I think it is THIS link.

This story is so insane... IA with the idea that the parents must have become numb over time to how they were treating their daughter. It doesn't seem like they wanted to murder her - more like they forgot about her & then kept on "forgetting."

Was poor Lacey non-verbal? Otherwise very hard to imagine how the parents could "forget" about or even ignore her basic needs!

Why didn't Lacey get up off the couch to say go to the bathroom? Is there evidence she was tied or cuffed to the couch?

Article above said the smell in the house was something no one could live with & the parents must've been staying somewhere else... is there any more info about that?

None of this makes sense
IMO
You raise an interesting question- why didn't she get off the couch? I wonder if in the early years of her 12+ years on the couch rotting away, if her so called parents gave her drugs to sedate her- maybe valium or xanax-- just enough to keep her groggy-- (Just a thought)-- after awhile, after spending so much time on the couch, she became very weak, emaciated from lack of nutrition and no doubt atrophy of her muscles, she probably couldn't even get up by herself and she laid there rotting away and being tortured- rotting in her own feces---

It is impossible for normal people ( I presume we are normal LOL), to make sense of how parents could do such a horrible thing to their child. There is no way to make sense of it--- I know I just want some measure justice for Lacey---They should get 40 years, but I don't believe that will be the sentence.

This story is so insane... IA with the idea that the parents must have become numb over time to how they were treating their daughter. It doesn't seem like they wanted to murder her - more like they forgot about her & then kept on "forgetting."

Was poor Lacey non-verbal? Otherwise very hard to imagine how the parents could "forget" about or even ignore her basic needs!

Why didn't Lacey get up off the couch to say go to the bathroom? Is there evidence she was tied or cuffed to the couch?

Article above said the smell in the house was something no one could live with & the parents must've been staying somewhere else... is there any more info about that?

None of this makes sense
IMO
BBM, This is something I have wondered since the beginning. I don't know how long it would take being restrained to the couch before she no longer attempted or could physically get up again. It seems plausible she was restrained to the couch then later the restraints were removed but she was no longer capable of moving. The physical evidence of restraints long gone from her tiny, tortured body.

Decompose. Rot.
....what does this even mean??!
I guess Idk the difference between "rot" & "decompose" ... what are they saying about the state of Lacey's body that's different from every other body?...
snipped for focus @taylorss That phrasing by Dr. Bickham, the coroner who performed the autopsy, caught my attn too.

IIUC, he was emphasizing that Lacey Fletcher's body condition, shown in the pix, developed while she was still LIVING. (Saying it = rot. Possibly symptoms of a med. condition like Bedsores, aka pressure sores, pressure ulcers, or decubitus ulcers. Or Gangrene or Sepsis? IDK)

Was he trying to stress that what we see in pix did not happen POST MORTEM as some might assume w'out his explanation.
IOW, not ordinary decomposition that happens after death when
a body is unattended/abandoned for days, weeks, or months before discovery. But not saying I do understand correctly.

Calling for our medical professionals to weigh in.

Last edited:
The photos even tho blurred are horrific.
I hope to never see them without blur.
I can’t understand how one can let this happen to another person and moreover to own daughter.
How could they live in that smell and looking at Lacey everyday is beyond me.

The 911 call is perplexing but the neighbour seeing Lacey would explain why they called 911. I don’t remember exactly how long was she thought to be dead before emergency services arrived? And why would they let neighbour in knowing that he will see/smell that something is off? They were careful for so long.

Decompose. Rot. Vid w Coroner in Case. Vid w Retired Med Examiner.

From a NewsNation vid clip, w Dr. Bickham, the coroner saw Lacey on the couch and later performed the autopsy, compared circumstances of Lacey's death to other deaths:
"...YOU FIND THE BODY A WEEK LATER. THAT'S ONE THING.
AND THEY'RE THEY'RE DECOMPOSED.
LACEY DID NOT DECOMPOSE. SHE ROTTED. IN HER OWN BODY."
(^ copied and pasted from NN's transcript, starting ~ 3:10 of 5:47 vid)
posted 2 days ago on youtube

In another NewsNation clip, Judy DuPree, a retired forensic pathogist & former med examiner said, as Lacey was "sedentary" the "pressure builds up it erodes the skin."
" IT BASICALLY ROTS AND NOT ONLY DID IT ROT THE SKIN, BUT IT ROTTED ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE THE BEEN [ I think, she said BONE] WAS ACTUALLY EXPOSED. THIS IS THE WORST AGE AND CAUSE OF SEPSIS. THEY THE PERSON BECOMES INFECTED, BASICALLY BLOOD POISONING AND THAT LEADS TO DEATH. AND IT IS FROM NEGLECT."
(^ Copied & pasted from transcript, from ~ 1:30 of 5+ min vid)

^
posted yesterday on youtube.

Last edited:
I can’t understand how one can let this happen to another person and moreover to own daughter.

The 911 call is perplexing but the neighbour seeing Lacey would explain why they called 911. I don’t remember exactly how long was she thought to be dead before emergency services arrived? And why would they let neighbour in knowing that he will see/smell that something is off? They were careful for so long.
I believe Lacey's parents had gone away that weekend, and upon return they claimed they found Lacey dead. I'll try to find the article.

Some killers arrange to have an innocent witness "discover" the body - to distance themselves from the crime. A witness is also helpful to observe and report how "shocked and sad" the suspect acted. My best guess is that Lacey died and her parents likely didn't even notice at first. Once realization hit, they hatched the plan to "discover" the body because they knew her injuries were severe.

Normally, when a parent loves their child but can't care for it themselves, they will go to great lengths to make sure proper care is given by others.

In my mind, "neglect" would be an abscence of care from emotionless parents and they could choose to relinquish custody of Lacey and she would become a ward of the state.

Lacey's parents, IMHO, didn't passively neglect their daughter. Rather, they maliciously ensured that she relied on them for survival yet never relinquished control. Her parents chose to keep her, hide her, never let her go while also preventing her from developing properly.

I think her parents resented having to care for Lacey, using neglect to "punish" her. Purposefully withholding care from your child is not a passive act, it is abuse.

I believe Lacey's parents had gone away that weekend, and upon return they claimed they found Lacey dead. I'll try to find the article.

Some killers arrange to have an innocent witness "discover" the body - to distance themselves from the crime. A witness is also helpful to observe and report how "shocked and sad" the suspect acted. My best guess is that Lacey died and her parents likely didn't even notice at first. Once realization hit, they hatched the plan to "discover" the body because they knew her injuries were severe.

Normally, when a parent loves their child but can't care for it themselves, they will go to great lengths to make sure proper care is given by others.

In my mind, "neglect" would be an abscence of care from emotionless parents and they could choose to relinquish custody of Lacey and she would become a ward of the state.

Lacey's parents, IMHO, didn't passively neglect their daughter. Rather, they maliciously ensured that she relied on them for survival yet never relinquished control. Her parents chose to keep her, hide her, never let her go while also preventing her from developing properly.

I think her parents resented having to care for Lacey, using neglect to "punish" her. Purposefully withholding care from your child is not a passive act, it is abuse.

Twelve years is a long time to neglect someone. What were they gaining by abusing her over several years? To me it implies that it was intentional.

Why did they choose that path as opposed to killing her? In my opinion they enjoyed torturing her.
There is no way to get around that they chose to be evil.

I wonder if they saw through a window maybe? Lacey was in the 1st floor living area as I recall…

You raise an interesting question- why didn't she get off the couch? I wonder if in the early years of her 12+ years on the couch rotting away, if her so called parents gave her drugs to sedate her- maybe valium or xanax-- just enough to keep her groggy-- (Just a thought)-- after awhile, after spending so much time on the couch, she became very weak, emaciated from lack of nutrition and no doubt atrophy of her muscles, she probably couldn't even get up by herself and she laid there rotting away and being tortured- rotting in her own feces---

It is impossible for normal people ( I presume we are normal LOL), to make sense of how parents could do such a horrible thing to their child. There is no way to make sense of it--- I know I just want some measure justice for Lacey---They should get 40 years, but I don't believe that will be the sentence.
Just sharing some interesting info (I’m a criminologist for work!)—I literally didn’t know this until I did a correctional study, lots of observers conclude that 1 year in prison ages the average inmate around 2 years bc of constant stress, poor healthcare, familial isolation, etc. I don’t think either of the Fletchers will leave prison alive. I think it’s possible that they get something a bit under the 40 years, but not by much, and the combination of the horrific nature of the crime and utter denial of responsibility will get the book thrown at them.

Just sharing some interesting info (I’m a criminologist for work!)—I literally didn’t know this until I did a correctional study, lots of observers conclude that 1 year in prison ages the average inmate around 2 years bc of constant stress, poor healthcare, familial isolation, etc. I don’t think either of the Fletchers will leave prison alive. I think it’s possible that they get something a bit under the 40 years, but not by much, and the combination of the horrific nature of the crime and utter denial of responsibility will get the book thrown at them.

That’s reassuring although they should be on trial for their crimes. They know what they did and just to save face they took a plea deal because they don’t want all of the evidence and gory details to be revealed. The photos alone would leave jurors with no doubt.

I don't mean to be gross but there is no way the parents didn't carry that smell on them. They had to be ripe

The coroner couldn’t elaborate but he said the parents were not living there. They were allegedly in a separate space, in an adjacent home to Lacey. He said the odor was so bad that they had to wear mask while they were in the house.

I vaguely recall in one of the interviews that someone from LE vomited because the odor was unbearable. He said the odor lingered on their clothing and skin.

With bodily fluids, urine, feces, fused skin, rats-dead and alive, it would be impossible not to have a horrible stench. That leads me to believe that they hadn’t seen her very often in the 12 years.

Has there been anything definitive about what happened when she left the private school? All I’ve seen are vague references to anxiety and potential autism.

I wonder if one/both of the parents actively abused her to the point of brain damage in her late teens.

Perhaps they removed her from the private school because they didn’t want her speaking with mandated reporters. (I’m a homeschooler myself and it’s not anti-homeschooling to point out that “homeschooling” can be used to hide abuse). JMO.

I don't mean to be gross but there is no way the parents didn't carry that smell on them. They had to be ripe
If it's true they had a separate residence they resided in, then they wouldn't be ripe. The smell of decomposing bodies/wounds/Lacey's situation is very strong and can stick to fabric but them being around her as little as possible, it's unlikely it'd stick for very long.

I’m a criminologist for work!

Please consider becoming a verified professional on Websleuths! That will allow you to post info you know as a criminologist without having to post a link to mainstream media (MSM).

Another thought I wonder if parents were regularly asked about Lacey. I know she was seen by neighbours playing outside at some point but nobody was questioning where was she? Parents seems like outgoing people in the community nobody found it strange that Lacey was never with them?
Maybe its my suspicions nature but if I didn’t see a child of my friends/ neighbours for a long time I would be snooping around thinking its odd.

About the smell oh gosh I can’t imagine someone living there. Wonder if neighbours seen them at home / around the yard regularly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarrilinaCali