LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me just say this, lol, I've been attempting to piece these pictures together now all day, so, that picture where the faint headlights show up, is indeed behind her. I'm not certain that it's the white truck, but it could be. So, just hold tight until I'm sure what we might have here.

So you think this person has done this before? Has Lafayette had other missing persons cases? Hit and run cases? Or do you think this person had done this before elsewhere and recently moved to Lafayette? I do agree, I don't think it was an accident, but just curious on your thoughts on him/her being a pro.

Well, not all sexual predators abduct. Some prey on those around them...relatives, neighbors, etc. But we do know that another young lady was approached just a day or two before Mickey's disappearance. The man offered her a ride and later offered her money for sex.

I don't know of any other missing persons in Lafayette. But I think the smooth operation of this disappearance shows a person who has, at least, plotted something out...or thought about the things he would need to do to complicate LE finding him.

Trying to pull up street view of Courville but it's taking a bit.

From satellite, I was trying to zoom in on the "2nd house on the right," and what got my attention...white trucks.

I don't know. Maybe street view will show us something.

Keeping up around here is next to impossible. So happy to see so many folks here at WS, both new and old.

LE believes the bike was in the water since the morning of Mickey's disappearance. Information says to me:

Abduction by someone who knew the area (from BR or surrounding area)
Intentional abduction (not an accident)
Abduction by sexual predator (perhaps had run-ins with the law before, if not for sex crimes then other petty things? He knew to cut off Mickey's phone and he knew to separate handle bars from bike and he separated evidence from Mickey and himself)
Predator didn't know Mickey (abduction by opportunity, trolling)
Cameras from the area tell the tale. (The white truck wasted no time in turning around and heading back in the direction from which he just came~grab and take~get out of the area)

Could there be more than one predator involved in this abduction? Seems likely to me.

I agree, experienced team. Organized sexual offenders. I think they have done this before. This seemed to happen way to fast for one offender. Nobody sees anything, this is a snatch and go and fast... They hit her, one grabs her the other grabs the bike. Maybe even cleans up evidence around the area of the incident.

They take her to the second pre planned location dumping her bike along the way, or possibly after. These guys knew exactly what they were doing. This does not appear to be some amature.

The one thing I have been curious about, and have not seen many people post about.. how obvious are some of these cameras. It appears these guys were careful, had a plan of what they did. But why stay out in the open and make things obvious, and get captured on camera.. I think most agree the perps(imo) were in atleast one of the vehicles we have seen on camera. It tells me, maybe they know the area, and are familar with it.. but not even to know about the cameras?

If they go through all the trouble to abduct, cover up, etc.. Why do it in the precense of cameras. Of course, she was taken off of camera as far as we know.. so maybe they were aware and risked being seen by the others because the urge was so great? Who knows.. probably over thinking it, but its hard to wrap my mind around nonetheless.

i posted earlier about the recent rise of human trafficking in baton rouge. i had to leave right after i posted it, but i tried to go back to see if there were any responses and i didn't see any. what are your thoughts on this? can the police department take on human trafficking rings successfully, or do we need the big kahoonas to bring them down?

Two quick things that I can't remember if they were discussed.
1. When one of DTL's victims was found at Whiskey Bay, her mother raised a stink about there not being cameras or better lighting there. They assured her it would be taken care of so no one could use Whiskey Bay in this manner again. Obviously we couldn't find enough tax dollars to rectify this OBVIOUS PROBLEM WITH WHISKEY BAY.

2. BOTH trucks would be personal vehicles I'd guess. My main reason which was staring me in the face that I didn't see til now, is that neither of them have tool boxes. I still think ALL the white truck pictures are the same truck. I haven't seen an overlap or discrepancy with the photo timestamps to rule that theory out for me.

<snip>

2. BOTH trucks would be personal vehicles I'd guess. My main reason which was staring me in the face that I didn't see til now, is that neither of them have tool boxes. I still think ALL the white truck pictures are the same truck. I haven't seen an overlap or discrepancy with the photo timestamps to rule that theory out for me.
There is no chrome or mismatched gas tank cover (why is the word for this escaping me?) on the white truck that is traveling west on university.

PFEF...I'd definitely think there would be some evidence on the road. Now, obtaining it would be another matter entirely.

Has LE searched for evidence like that in the immediate area? Would the heat destroy it? I think it rained for a day or two shortly afterward; would that affect it?

I don't know the answers here. Just questions rattling around in my mind.
Any type of plastic or rubber pieces would not be destroyed easily, but they would be as equally hard to find, from say rain, cars or animals disturbing it. Blood evidence on asphalt will remain through EXTREMELY difficult heat and/or rainy conditions, I'd guess maybe a couple of weeks or so minimum, but it may not be enough to even tell if it is human blood or not by then. The real problem you would have is that even if you hypothetically put luminol down everywhere, you would still have to cover every area to see if it reacts.

Well, not all sexual predators abduct. Some prey on those around them...relatives, neighbors, etc. But we do know that another young lady was approached just a day or two before Mickey's disappearance. The man offered her a ride and later offered her money for sex.

I don't know of any other missing persons in Lafayette. But I think the smooth operation of this disappearance shows a person who has, at least, plotted something out...or thought about the things he would need to do to complicate LE finding him.

Are you talking about the lady that NG was talking about? The man was driving a white truck and was white and in his 50's?

Because that happened a couple of months ago, not a couple of days ago. But it might be connected, who knows. Maybe the guy escalated his behavior, considerably.

good gravy though, do you know how many white z71s are in lafayette, new iberia, breaux bridge, opelousas, carencro etc. there's no way to weed through all the white trucks in this area of the state. the shadier looking vehicle, yes, but white trucks, no.

Wowwie, after all that, do you have any idea in your own minds as to where this guy turned around, and if so, I'm assuming that he would have needed to know EXACTLY where he was going and was very familiar with that area. Someone has driven that route for a very long time and it's his playground.

I'm not sure. The fact that there's a way to get from Azalea Drive to Parkside to St Mary in a rather quick way makes me think someone can turn around in a hurry, and did so, but I just do not know.

Definitely, though, if he was gonna turn around and come back for her, he'd have to know the area. Driving it today, not knowing exactly where the roads come out at, there's no way I could have done it without some knowledge before.

Can someone tell me what they think they see in this picture? (Lifted it from thread #10). I'm trying to follow Shelly's line of thinking from that thread but not succeeding. View attachment 22850

In the streetlight along the furthest point of the road, I believe that they are "seeing" a car along the left part of that streetlight, either with lights on or lights off. There is some distortion there, but a car may be a leap of faith. I would have to see another image from that camera before I would commit to a car.

Mod Note: Welcome to all of our new members! You guys are awesome! If you haven't already done so, please take a few minutes to review the linked thread:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65798"]Rules: Etiquette and Information[/ame]

The mods will be happy to answer any of your questions about the rules or using the board's features. Just be sure to address them in a private message (pm) and not here in the open forum. :tyou:

I know this is likely nothing,...but whenever I read about you folks talking about the fema trailers, it kinda steals my breath....

I'm honestly not picking on you so please don't take this personally. But this is precisely how rumor becomes fact. That happened a couple of months ago, not days.

good gravy though, do you know how many white z71s are in lafayette, new iberia, breaux bridge, opelousas, carencro etc. there's no way to weed through all the white trucks in this area of the state. the shadier looking vehicle, yes, but white trucks, no.

I saw one next to me here in Cali and freaked! I never noticed them before.

I agree, experienced team. Organized sexual offenders. I think they have done this before. This seemed to happen way to fast for one offender. Nobody sees anything, this is a snatch and go and fast... They hit her, one grabs her the other grabs the bike. Maybe even cleans up evidence around the area of the incident.

They take her to the second pre planned location dumping her bike along the way, or possibly after. These guys knew exactly what they were doing. This does not appear to be some amature.

The one thing I have been curious about, and have not seen many people post about.. how obvious are some of these cameras. It appears these guys were careful, had a plan of what they did. But why stay out in the open and make things obvious, and get captured on camera.. I think most agree the perps(imo) were in atleast one of the vehicles we have seen on camera. It tells me, maybe they know the area, and are familar with it.. but not even to know about the cameras?

If they go through all the trouble to abduct, cover up, etc.. Why do it in the precense of cameras. Of course, she was taken off of camera as far as we know.. so maybe they were aware and risked being seen by the others because the urge was so great? Who knows.. probably over thinking it, but its hard to wrap my mind around nonetheless.

Your observations are closely aligned with my own. I think, in relation to the cameras, this may be one area the perps didn't really consider. Even if they did, they knew LE would not be able to figure out Mickey's trek home right away...and they probably knew that it would take a while to obtain footage of surveillance. Amazingly, the actual incident was not on camera. I don't know if my heart could have stood witnessing that or not anyway. My mind always goes back to Carlie Brucia who was seen on surveillance footage being abducted from a car wash. It absolutely crushed me to watch this young girl being taken away...what a helpless feeling. She was later found deceased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kfran