LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This article gives a time for the white truck that followed behind Mickey (but it also has the wrong picture so keep that in mind).

1:48 am

It also says the truck crosses University, which jives with early reports that the truck was seen behind Mickey on both St. John* and St. Landry after Mickey.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...kup-driver?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

ETA: *Make that Versailles and St. Landry

So Mickey may not have actually 'turned her phone off'!

Right. No one's given any kind of explanation for why a young woman riding alone at almost 2:00 AM would turn her phone off if she'd never done that before. I don't buy it.

i did a quick attempt at enhancing the photo, this afternoon or tonight i will try to put a little more time on it to see if i can get it much better, but there is not much to work with.

Attachments

• truck-enhanced.png
    truck-enhanced.png
    332.8 KB · Views: 104
Maybe I just can't think like a criminal, but even if I hit someone while I was sober, I don't believe turning the phone off would be something I would think about. If it rang, maybe I would do it then. But so far they've only said it was OFF when her mom, sister, and friends tried to call her. That's just another :waitasec: thing that's bothering me. Drunk people (especially drunk people that hit things with their vehicles) don't seem like the type that would be able to cover the "basics" like turning the cell phone off and gathering up evidence. I think that's why I'm not sold on that theory.

Unless the phone was thrown in the water like her bike. Then it would be totally fried. And probably never found either, considering the size of cell phones:(

I think so. But wouldn't they have a time when the signal stopped?

Don't know. I 'd think that when a phone is turned off, it's off and when the battery falls out, ti's off also. If there is no signal sent or received from a tower when the phone is off, how could one tell whether it was intentionally turned off, or the battery fell out? Dunno.

Concerning the "Floating Bike Theory"

I did some research. The Schwinn Cutter bicycle weighs about 27 pounds. This is considered to be a heavy bike by bike enthusiasts. One review of the bike described it as a tank. The recovered bicycle was said to have a damaged rear rim, so we could assume the tire was flat as well. Could a single tire keep a 27 pound bike afloat?

This calls for an experiment or someone with knowledge of bouyancy.

It would not. As opposed to writing a huge wall o' text explaining buoyancy and bicycles, I will put it in the tiniest nutshell possible and say no it won't.

So Mickey may not have actually 'turned her phone off'!

Were we ever told if she rode with the phone in her hand or pocket? Maybe she stopped and took it out and was in the process of dialing when someone hit her and the phone dropped. I could believe that theory.

Don't know. I 'd think that when a phone is turned off, it's off and when the battery falls out, ti's off also. If there is no signal sent or received from a tower when the phone is off, how could one tell whether it was intentionally turned off, or the battery fell out? Dunno.

I think they could get the last time it pinged and however far the next tower is, if it didn't ping on that one, that's a potential search area. Yes? No?

I'm grasping, here.

Just FYI. Once you have given your blood for HIV testing or DNA anaylsis, it is not thrown away. You are in a national database. Like it or not.

If someone is giving their DNA, hopefully they have consulted a lawyer and that lawyer will only work out a deal where DNA will be voluntarily provided only if it is not maintained in any form and destroyed afterwards (assuming it doesn't match the instant case).

Concerning the "Floating Bike Theory"

I did some research. The Schwinn Cutter bicycle weighs about 27 pounds. This is considered to be a heavy bike by bike enthusiasts. One review of the bike described it as a tank. The recovered bicycle was said to have a damaged rear rim, so we could assume the tire was flat as well. Could a single tire keep a 27 pound bike afloat?

This calls for an experiment or someone with knowledge of bouyancy.

I really doubt a bike would stay afloat in water for very long.

The frame also has many points where water can enter making it even heavier. The main one would be through where the seat fits into the frame.

I would bet even if you sealed a frame watertight, it would still sink with both tyres inflated to the max. ~2Lbs of air filled tyres versus ~25Lbs of steal/alloy.

I'm willing to be proven wrong though!

After MS was captured on camera for the last time, was she approaching an intersection with little to no light down the street that intersected the one she travelled on? Are there any bars on the street that intersected the street MS was traveling on, or around the corner of the intersection? I'm still thinking a DWI t-boned her at the back wheel, speeding through a stop sigh, headlights off and MS may not have seen them coming!

This article gives a time for the white truck that followed behind Mickey (but it also has the wrong picture so keep that in mind).
1:48 amIt also says the truck crosses University, which jives with early reports that the truck was seen behind Mickey on both St. John and St. Landry after Mickey http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...kup-driver?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Based on the LPD releases (Update IV on May 25th) it seems quite possible that the VOI was viewed at Versailles Blvd. & St. John also. Probably caught on the MidSouth Bank camera. Remember the headlights behind Mickey on Versailles? JMO.

I think they could get the last time it pinged and however far the next tower is, if it didn't ping on that one, that's a potential search area. Yes? No?

I'm grasping, here.
(grasping, too) JMO that makes sense, but we also have to consider tower congestion (can't always be handled by the nearest tower).

And "we" don't have the tower info and sooooo much more.

As of today, MS is missing 2 weeks, tomorrow will begin the third week?

Based on the LPD releases (Update IV on May 25th) it seems quite possible that the VOI was viewed at Versailles Blvd. & St. John also. Probably caught on the MidSouth Bank camera. Remember the headlights behind Mickey on Versailles? JMO.

You are right, it said both streets and I think they meant Versailles and St. Landry.

JurysOut, if the battery is 100% dead or taken out of the phone, it will no longer try to register on a tower. if the battery is installed in the phone and it has any charge at all, the phone will attempt to register to the nearest tower, it does not matter if the phone is powered on or if it is turned off. in your example, if drop your phone and the battery flys out, once you place the battery back into the phone it is active on the network again even if you do not turn the phone on. now if someone calls you and you have the phone turned off, of course they will get the message we all know, caller unavailable, etc, but the phone still shows up on E911 services and the cell provider. hope that helps :)

bellow i put a little info on E911

Requirements

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has several requirements applicable to wireless or mobile telephones:[3]

Basic 911:
All 911 calls must be relayed to a call center, regardless of whether the mobile phone user is a customer of the network being used.
E911 Phase 1:
Wireless network operators must identify the phone number and cell phone tower used by callers, within six minutes of a request by a PSAP.
E911 Phase 2
95% of a network operator's in-service phones must be E911 compliant ("location capable") by December 31, 2005. (Several carriers missed this deadline, and were fined by the FCC.[4])
Wireless network operators must provide the latitude and longitude of callers within 300 meters, within six minutes of a request by a PSAP.[5] Accuracy rates must meet FCC standards on average within any given participating PSAP service area by September 11, 2012 (deferred from September 11, 2008).[6]

Location information is not only transmitted to the call center for the purpose of sending emergency services to the scene of the incident, it is used by the wireless network operator to determine to which PSAP to route the call.

The comparison truck has white door handles, the VOI has black I believe.

i have to find the link again, but I found a 2door white '99 silverado 4x4 z71....it was taken at dusk from the car dealership and it made the white handles look black from the shadows, so I'm starting to change my mind on the VOI as well...it's soooo hard to tell though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3