LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:waitasec:Good day or night everyone
My wife and i were riding in lafayette today running errands and seen somthing kinda of strange we seen a ford f150 with tamaulipas, mexico plates. yes i no it means mere nothing but. I ride theses streets everyday and have never seen a plate like this and then when i googled the place wat i saw was disturbing look at the pics and the web search

That's a border state in Mexico, isn't it? I've never noticed a Mexican plate on a vehicle either, how strange!

I have two sons who work in construction.....you probably wouldn't believe how many illegals we have here working in our city. Most of them are law-abiding, hard working men who are sending their money home to their families. But I am sure we've got some bad guys here, too.

As time goes on, I am becoming more suspicious of Bretley,rather than less suspicious.

Hearing that they were planning to become roommates this summer makes me wonder. I think she just saw him as a good platonic buddy, but I am wondering if he wanted it to be more?

As I see it, we've got three possibilities of what happened to Mickey. Some more likely than others.

#1. Mickey had an accident along her way home and ended up with all her belongings, in a spot where she is not visible to others. In some dense shrubbery or something.....we do have lots of dense shrubbery.

#2. Mickey accepted a ride from someone she knew and was comfortable with, and that person abducted her.

#3. A stranger abducted Mickey, either taking her bike with them, or leaving the bike behind to be picked up by someone else who is afraid to come forward.

Any other possibilities? (I don't even remotely feel like it is possible she disappeared on her own, so I'm not listing it.)

#4. She never left her friends house that night...

As I see it, we've got three possibilities of what happened to Mickey. Some more likely than others.

#1. Mickey had an accident along her way home and ended up with all her belongings, in a spot where she is not visible to others. In some dense shrubbery or something.....we do have lots of dense shrubbery.

#2. Mickey accepted a ride from someone she knew and was comfortable with, and that person abducted her.

#3. A stranger abducted Mickey, either taking her bike with them, or leaving the bike behind to be picked up by someone else who is afraid to come forward.

Any other possibilities? (I don't even remotely feel like it is possible she disappeared on her own, so I'm not listing it.)

I don't think it likely either but it can't be dismissed. Suicide also. Possibly yes. Probably not.

Many times we think we know so much about the missing person from family, friends, etc. I know of 2 cases where I was convinced the persons were abducted. One case the young lady committed suicide and the other case, married guy with 2 children and another on the way at the time, ran off on his family.

We just never know......and sadly neither does the family sometimes.

IMO

:waitasec:Good day or night everyone
My wife and i were riding in lafayette today running errands and seen somthing kinda of strange we seen a ford f150 with tamaulipas, mexico plates. yes i no it means mere nothing but. I ride theses streets everyday and have never seen a plate like this and then when i googled the place wat i saw was disturbing look at the pics and the web search

Call the Tipline!!
They are asking that if you have ANY tips, to report them, no matter how significant you may think they are. It is very odd to me too, i have never seen a Mexico liscense plate either.

Last night my husband and I were talking about how BW didn't ask Mickey to text him when she got home. Today, at 30, I do this all the time. But when I was 18-21, going out in Lafayette on the weekends with friends (at a street of bars called The Strip), we used to tell everyone who rode together, "If you aren't at the car at 2:15am, we assume you got a ride and we're heading home (a little town 20 minutes away)". How ridiculous is that?? And we thought that was totally normal. Just a little something to think about, 21 year olds are different than 30 year olds.

Completely agree! I'm 21 and me and my friends don't ever say to eachother "call or text me when you get home" although we should, it's just soemthing we never think about. I have one friend who ALWAYS tells me to call her when I get home and I still don't. People need to stop crucifying this poor guy because it's not uncommon!

Does anyone know if BW or MS smoked, and by that I mean pot. I'm not sleuthing BW here (I actually believe BW is innocent) - I was wondering if there was possible drug connection.

It has been said before upthread:

This reminds me so much of the Katelyn Markham case:

*A Fete or Fayre in town.
*Goes missing after being left alone by BF or friend.
*Possible drug connection? (TBC)
*Both cases, young people around the same age.
*Geeky Partners.
*Moving town - possibly in the near future.

The reason I mention the drug connection is because on BW's FB page there are images of him around a fit pit, possibly smoking a joint (unless it was a photoshopped pic?)

They're probably unrelated, they just feel similar some how.

Hey, i thinked he smokes too, either legal or weed, b/c on his facebook he has alot of pics smoking something and a picture of a 420 cake and there lighting the candle and usually only ppl that smoke celebrate 420, "national smoke weed day" thats what we were wondering if it was a freak accident, alot of ppl have been reported dead or having seizures from smoking that stuff.. or she was high riding her bike home taco bell is drunk munchie food around here everyone i know here goes to that taco bell ive even eaten their on the way home from going out.. its just to weird that nobody saw her something isnt right with all of their stories. LIKE the whole mels diner thing and him saying they ate in his kitchen together.. thats just coming out.. JMO but if i was the last one with a friend that went missing and didnt do it and wanted her to be found, i would have made SURE i told them everything, even if she was drinking or smoking and just every little detail, b/c that all makes a difference

It is supposedly a crowded area with many possible camera shots along the way. It seems strange to me that no one has come forward to say they saw a pretty blonde biking and not one camera has captured her. I guess maybe it is a situation where the cameras aren't as great as we thought and maybe it was so busy that people overlooked her?
That, or she was taken very, very close to his apartment? For the moment, I will assume BW is innocent.

I guess it was just for the summer since she had a semester to go and would graduate in December. Maybe someone wasn't happy about that? Wonder when they were suppose to move?

We know as per BW Mickey didn't have any boyfriends (so no x's) but what about BW - does he have any xgf's who might be upset over this beautiful friendship between M&B?!?!?

Hey, i thinked he smokes too, either legal or weed, b/c on his facebook he has alot of pics smoking something and a picture of a 420 cake and there lighting the candle and usually only ppl that smoke celebrate 420, "national smoke weed day" thats what we were wondering if it was a freak accident, alot of ppl have been reported dead or having seizures from smoking that stuff.. or she was high riding her bike home taco bell is drunk munchie food around here everyone i know here goes to that taco bell ive even eaten their on the way home from going out.. its just to weird that nobody saw her something isnt right with all of their stories. LIKE the whole mels diner thing and him saying they ate in his kitchen together.. thats just coming out.. JMO but if i was the last one with a friend that went missing and didnt do it and wanted her to be found, i would have made SURE i told them everything, even if she was drinking or smoking and just every little detail, b/c that all makes a difference

Just maybe he didn't mention smoking because Mickey didn't smoke! He did say, and this was verified by the other friends at Artsmophere that she did not drink alcohol that evening.

The Mel's diner stuff is not just coming out. Perhaps you missed it, but very early on, in one of the first links we have, Brettly said that Mickey was hungry and tired and wanted to go to the diner at about 11pm, but no one else was ready to go. After they'd gone to his home, left the bikes and got into the car, they went to Taco Bell (this is also verified) and then went to his house to eat. (Also verified, they received calls during that time and told others what they were doing, and LE has interviewed the friends who called, and they backed up that info.) During the call, the friends stated they were *now* ready to go to the diner, but Mickey was already eating Taco Bell by then.

No way do I believe these friends of hers would leave her body to rot if she had died from smoking "legal weed" (which isns't legal here anymore!) I don't even think they would have moved her body to an area where she'd be found and pretend it happened after she left....these are good young adults, they don't have a history of arrests or criminal activity, and they are all close to Mickey's family. They just wouldn't hurt them that way.

It is supposedly a crowded area with many possible camera shots along the way. It seems strange to me that no one has come forward to say they saw a pretty blonde biking and not one camera has captured her. I guess maybe it is a situation where the cameras aren't as great as we thought and maybe it was so busy that people overlooked her?
That, or she was taken very, very close to his apartment? For the moment, I will assume BW is innocent.

He has a stand alone home, not an apartment. There are bushes all around though, many of the yards along her route would have shrubbery and lots of trees.

It IS strange that she wasn't picked up on any cameras, BUT Chief Craft has stated that most of the cameras along the routes are indoors, so it's a little more understandable. The traffic cameras are aimed at the lanes of the roadways, and Mickey was known to travel on the sidewalk, so I guess that could explain why those cameras didn't pick her up.

I cannot imagine why no one saw her....it truly makes me believe that whatever happened, happened BEFORE she got near the Cajun Dome. From that point on, she'd have supposedly had other people around her, in cars, on foot and on bikes.

I think Brettly is innocent, too. It would literally knock my socks off if I were to learn he had something to do with this disappearance.

Kgeaux do you know BW, MS or any of the people that were with them? You seem to defend them as if you have more information about them than other posters in this forum.

After listening to the last video interview BW did (the one where you can barely hear anything), I feel certain now that he caused no harm to Mickey. Although it was hard to hear, when he spoke about Mickey his eyes lit up IMO. I think he may have had feelings for her, but not to the extent to where he would have hurt her had he expressed them and she shot him down. When he spoke of her in this video I could see genuine adoration for Mickey.

Do I wish that he had checked to make sure she made it home, or perhaps driven her home since she was tired and late? Yes. However, because he didn't do so doesn't make him guilty. Not to mention that as of now LE does not have any reason to link him to her disappearance.

Also, I've been considering the possibility of her being a victim of human trafficking with I-10 being so close by, but the more I ponder that idea, the more I keep thinking that if that were the case I don't think the perp(s) would bother with the bike or phone. I would think they would just want to grab her and get on their way, seeing as they would be fleeing the area/state/country with her. With that being said, IMO, their are only a few other scenarios - she was stalked and her abductor planned everything out, she is the victim of a random abduction (Carnie or resident), or she left on her own accord (HIGHLY UNLIKELY).

I don't think their was and accident, and I don't think she was hit or anything along those lines. If that were the case, I think something would have been found. Not to mention, if that were the case her phone would not have been turned off. It may have eventually gone dead, but not quickly enough for LE not to be able to ping it.

I cannot imagine why no one saw her....it truly makes me believe that whatever happened, happened BEFORE she got near the Cajun Dome. From that point on, she'd have supposedly had other people around her, in cars, on foot and on bikes.

I agree that it must have been before or right at Cajundome. Just seems like you need lack of people out on street and preferrably darkness. Anywhere along Souvenir Gate all the way to Cajundome seems good enough to meet those criteria. The short stretch before university seems hard to pull of, so close to university! But that looong stretch along Souvenir Gate gives ample opportunity.

Also, if she regularly went to see BW, then maybe someone stalked her.

Just HOW MUCH bike or car traffic is there on Souvenir Gate at 2am?

BW's phone is dead.
Mickey's phone is turned off.
What are the odds of that happening between two college aged students in this media driven world?
Very convenient.
Mickey's sister stated that Mickey's phone could keep a charge a very long time. Someone knew that.

I would agree with you if I had to guess. Those from the area may know better, but if she rode down Parkside as some have suggested, that road seems to be extremely narrow (no escape routes), more foliage with little to no lights (less likely to be seen) and from what I can tell there wouldn't be any cameras in that area and I would guess is less heavily traveled (explaining why no people/cameras saw her).

Kgeaux do you know BW, MS or any of the people that were with them? You seem to defend them as if you have more information about them than other posters in this forum.

I do not personally know any of the people involved in this case. As I've said before, I have sons who are active with Bike Lafayette, I have sons in the same age group and attending the same university, who frequent the same venues that Mickey, Brettly and their friends frequent, and we do have friends that know both Mickey and Brettly, and some of the others. I also have friends who have been active with the searches, etc.

Because of everything I've heard about Mickey, I think it is impossible that she left on her own. She's just not like that.

Because of everything I've heard about Brettly, he would never, ever hurt Mickey. Everything I've read and heard in the news tends to verify that belief.....IOW, I've seen nothing that would make me think Brettly had anything to do with this.

If anything happens that causes me to begin to suspect Brettly, I will be very up-front about that. People who have read my posts around here for years know that one of the things I say is, "I have been wrong before and I will be wrong again." Nothing is written in stone, and if my heart-felt beliefs are proven wrong, I will acknowledge that.

I agree that it must have been before or right at Cajundome. Just seems like you need lack of people out on street and preferrably darkness. Anywhere along Souvenir Gate all the way to Cajundome seems good enough to meet those criteria. The short stretch before university seems hard to pull of, so close to university! But that looong stretch along Souvenir Gate gives ample opportunity.

Also, if she regularly went to see BW, then maybe someone stalked her.

Just HOW MUCH bike or car traffic is there on Souvenir Gate at 2am?

I would think at 2AM, traffic (foot, bike or vehicle) is sparse on Souvenir Gate.

I hate to say this, but with the heat we've had here lately, she cannot be too close to any of the areas that have been searched, unless she is indoors. Because the smell of decomp would have been noted. (It gives me hope.) This applies only in the cases that she has wrecked and is in the thick vegetation off the roadway, or was murdered on her way home and left on the route....

i 100% DO NOT think he has anything to do with her disappearance. Yes, he was the last person to see her, but i see bikers all the time around town. maybe not that late, but family and friends say she did it often. Think if this was you and the media was constantly on you because you were the last person to see her. This poor guy probably has a lot of emotions right now. His best friend vanished with no trace, and people are constantly saying question him and check his house. Police have already done so, and found nothing. Im on his side. This is definitely an abduction.

:greetings:

Welcome to the group!
Thanks to you and all the new locals who have joined in to help find Mickey!

I have a hard time thinking anyone close to Mickey would hurt her. The community has been an amazing support and what her friends have done in organizing and managing her searches from the beginning are the best I have seen since I joined WS. I applaud them for all they have managed to do, everyone has given 100%.

My opinion on BW is neutral. I am looking at facts and trying to find a direction to go in. By tearing away the layers (starting with BW) and looking at the details (uncovered and or given to us by LE) so that I can form an opinion and theory on what might have happened to Mickey.

I am going to be watching the live LE media presser intently today hoping that the police chief will totally clear any speculation I have concerning BW. At this point the whole community of Lafayette is suffering from this horrible, frightening disappearance. I hope today LE will be able to provide you all with some deserved answers and additional strength.

My thoughts are with Mickey and her family.
JMO

I don't think it likely either but it can't be dismissed. Suicide also. Possibly yes. Probably not.

Many times we think we know so much about the missing person from family, friends, etc. I know of 2 cases where I was convinced the persons were abducted. One case the young lady committed suicide and the other case, married guy with 2 children and another on the way at the time, ran off on his family.

We just never know......and sadly neither does the family sometimes.

IMO

Suicide was the case of the last missing persons case of this scale we had in Lafayette in 2003. After 3 weeks, TES arrived and found CP's body within an hour. Local newspaper mentioned it here:
http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120523/NEWS01/120523019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member