LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ayyiyi, didnt even think about the cane fields. but wouldnt a heli spot a body in all that green in perfect rows?
If the perp put her there and is now reading this, he/her is probably now moving her somewhere else. Just saying.

Isn't any more bizarre than what Ive been reading here.

I do get very discouraged, following so many cases without a conclusion. I have been stuck on cases such as Kyron, Hailey Dunn, Haleigh C., Holly, Joshua, Lisa, Ayla, Aliayah, Lauren, Katelyn, Sierra, even back to Kara Kopetsy and many others, and none of them have ever been found. I find it more surprising if someone IS found...

No matter how many times this happens, I just don't get it. How can someone disappear without a trace? They're there, and then they're just gone. And that's it.' I think it'd be easier to find a dead body than a living one, because of the decomp. Yet, we still find nothing. I know that general consensus is not that all of these people are alive, so how have we found nothing? Hundreds, if not thousands of searches looked for each, and, nothing. I can't grasp the concept, even though its proven. How do people pull this off? Does it really just boil down to "luck?"

What upsets me the most is when there is a strong indication that a person close to the victim did it. Its one thing to think a stranger victimized someone, but thinking about someone the victim trusted taking advantage of and violating that trust, and the victim having that be their last moments? With this, I am of course not talking about this case (while I've not ruled out someone she knows, I don't think it was close friends or family).

The only good thing about the farm land is that farmers are usually on their land daily they wake up before the sun comes up an usually leave right before the sunsets if she would have been hidden there I believe she would have been found already!

The farmer by me rarely check their crops daily. I see them every other week or so. The fields by me are just that- fields of cane. The farmer doesn't live on the property. (I know that's not every cane farm/field- just the ones in my immediate area.)

We would have seen buzzards already if in a cane field. Someone likely would have seen. A smart perp uses water.

What about wells, abandoned wells, would their be any in that area, or would those also fill up with water? I'm so unfamiliar with Louisiana.
No. Mamita, it'd be bayous & swamps here: Honey Bayou, Tortue? Faquitouque, Teche, Nezpique, Sorrel, Mermentau, etc way too numerous to mention its all waterways.

The farmer by me rarely check their crops daily. I see them every other week or so. The fields by me are just that- fields of cane. The farmer doesn't live on the property. (I know that's not every cane farm/field- just the ones in my immediate area.)

I don't know if anyone remembers the sonnier brothers abducted that couple and took them to a cane field

If 1-10 runs all through the south ...she could be just about anywhere. After WB where they found bike..what state would he be hitting if he kept on 1-10?

That would be Mississippi, then Alabama, then Florida. Mississippi state line is about 2.5 hours from BR, so I guess about 3.5 hours from Lafayette. Maybe 3 hours or so from Whiskey Bay. My times may be slightly off, plus it depends on how fast you go. If perp is in a regular car or truck, the speed limit is 70 most of the way there. Less over Atchafalaya and in Baton Rouge.

I pray that there is some kind of news soon. Where can she be? :( sigh.

IMO Farmers wouldn't be doing much in the fields now. Most finished fertilizing 2 - 3 weeks ago.

I see where your coming from but what I know of most farmers work is never done even when they have nothing to do they still ride around and check on their crop ... Another thing is we don't just have cane fields we have a lot of stuff like... rice/crawfish which is what my dad does an most his buddies that I've gotten to know an they are all working no matter what time of the season it is a farmers job never end for most!

If the perp put her there and is now reading this, he/her is probably now moving her somewhere else. Just saying.

Isn't any more bizarre than what Ive been reading here.

Given the sheer volume of cane fields, I think he/she would leave her, unless this whole thing were accident/panic motivated, and then they might try to relocate a body. To risky when weighing volume vs. time to locate the precise cane field. JMO.

We would have seen buzzards already if in a cane field. Someone likely would have seen. A smart perp uses water.

Yes, good point! Thank you for that! Let's hope we have mindful farmers.

Mississippi, then Alabama, then Florida. But I think if this perp is a professional, we should consider they dumped the bike and went the other way, Texas, then Arizona, then New Mexico, then California. And lots of other roadways and interstates that intersect and go off in all directions.
Ugh, major highway, major drug way, major victim way???

There isn't any new info to toss around right now, but there is one thing that keeps sticking out to me. Since I am not a local I may be off with this, but it really seems like the possible streets that MS took on her path home were all local streets. As in, would non locals have reason to be travelling on those streets at 2AM, none of them seem to be direct feeds towards the interstate. They seem like streets somebody would use to go home in the area, or be leaving a friends house from. IMO this has felt very local from the get go.
A side note that is noticeable in this case are the amount of RSO in the general area of her disappearance and LE not saying a word about checking them out (I know they are though). I can't remember the last young missing women where RSO's weren't thrown into the spotlight, at least for LE to say- yes were looking at them.
They've got the RSO's covered, Frogzilla.

Investigators are checking with known sex offenders in the area where Shunick was captured on surveillance riding her bicycle. They're finding out where the sex offenders were when Mickey went missing.
http://www.katc.com/news/mickey-shunick-media-briefing-bike-found-damaged/

All registered sex offenders in the area of Shunick’s home are being monitored.

http://www.thevermilion.com/news/po...nteer-search-suspended-1.2874958#.T9AicsWwXio

I've always felt that the shoulder bag that MS had (as shown in the photos of her on her bike) could of caused an accident.

I had a school friend who got killed on his motorbike (slightly different but I think the same rule would apply) when a strap from a backpack he was wearing got lodged in his back wheel, it threw him onto the other side of the road where he was subsequently run over and killed.

Now if something similar happened or she just went over the handlebars in the same lane, could an unaware driver run her over - Could it be he/she didn't realise she was on the ground until they ran her over? - Being low to the ground would she be seen?

JMOO

Hadn't thought about that possibility. But, kind of similar, I had wondered whether Mickey might have fainted, passed out -- after all, she wasn't feeling well -- with a similar outcome.

No. Mamita, it'd be bayous & swamps here: Honey Bayou, Tortue? Faquitouque, Teche, Nezpique, Sorrel, Mermentau, etc way too numerous to mention its all waterways.

Yeah, wells...I think I've only seen them on vacation?

Are the cameras at WB working for anyone else? The link I have seems to be frozen..

I've always felt that the shoulder bag that MS had (as shown in the photos of her on her bike) could of caused an accident.

That was not the bag she had that night, it was a light brown leather backpack; still, you have a valid point...

I see where your coming from but what I know of most farmers work is never done even when they have nothing to do they still ride around and check on their crop ... Another thing is we don't just have cane fields we have a lot of stuff like... rice/crawfish which is what my dad does an most his buddies that I've gotten to know an they are all working no matter what time of the season it is a farmers job never end for most!

Farmers may be riding on headlands checking the progress of their crops. However they are no longer working the fields the cane is to tall to get in with tractors. In about 6 - 8 weeks they will start spraying with pesticides and this is done from the air.

I respectfully disagree. Some of these fields are isolated. There are thousands of acres of fields, plenty of it tucked back away from the roads where no one would pay too much attention to buzzards or other carion.

:banghead::banghead:
Lafayette's sewage system is made up of pipes, several feet wide most likely. The manholes are most likely so that if there is a break in the pipe, they can repair it without have to break the concrete. Think of it as an "access panel" for the road. I worked for a plumbing company for a long time and I remember seeing plans to cap the sewer lines at the old OLOL and I've seen the workers repairing these lines for a while now within the Saint's Street area. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm only saying what I've observed.
???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member