LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I see what you're saying. I was thinking how unlikely it would be that they had unique serial numbers. So, it's not "easily" done, but doable to some extent. That makes sense.

Given automobile manufacturers liability in traffic deaths, I'm virtually certain they know which parts go into which vehicle.

If not, the NTSB would have a difficult time investigating complaints.

One thing's certain here...you can't just DITCH a $40K+ ride or send it to a chop shop...you have to fix it and keep it on the "down low" without anyone getting suspicious. If too many people find out you are fixing it, you could be toast with everyone aware of the truck due to the media coverage of it. These cowards are running scared and desperate now... this fire / theft could be just the BREAK we all need... let's keep our fingers crossed!
On that same note ... someone with a 40K+ ride likely has the money to order whatever replacement parts they might need off the internet OR even drive to a dealer quite a ways from Lafayette and have them replaced versus stealing them, setting a fire and further UPPING his chances of being apprehended.

Pressure washers with the right tip can be used strip paint. New headlights,tail lights, ect can be put on after repaint.

All parts have some kind of identifier.

Right, the plant they came from, ect...But, usually not individual serial numbers. That's the point I was trying to make. I mean, I am sure the individual parts could be traced, given enough time and information, but my feeling is that the theft and subsequent fire doesn't have anything to do with Mickey's disappearance. I really hate to see innocent people drug into something they didn't have anything to do with.

JMO, IMO, :moo:, and all other disclaimers.

On that same note ... someone with a 40K+ ride likely has the money to order whatever replacement parts they might need off the internet OR even drive to a dealer quite a ways from Lafayette and have them replaced versus stealing them, setting a fire and further UPPING his chances of being apprehended.

Maybe it's a frameup?

FWIW, I don't think those particular parts that were stolen have a serial number on them, so precisely how would you trace them?

I personally don't think that the tail light theft and fire is in any related to Mickey. As for the pressure washers, a lot of folks have them, we have one, does that mean we are cleaning up a crime scene? Those were probably stolen because you can sell them quickly.

From eHow:

Auto parts numbering systems are complex and elaborate, and In almost all cases, car parts have numbers that are engraved or molded into the part. Slight modifications are often made from year to year, and although the part looks the same, it is only compatible with a specific year and model. Parts are assigned, in some cases, both letters and numbers according to their group. For example, transmissions, engines, trim, body, and electrical all have their own part-number standards.

How to Identify Car Parts | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7684336_identify-car-parts.html#ixzz1x8rUr9YW

NOT if his truck note is $900-1K / mo. and he doesn't have a good paying job...

Maybe the fire was set to destroy the thieves fingerprints, which would be all over the place at the business, as well as covering the vehicle the items were stolen from.

Right, the plant they came from, ect...But, usually not individual serial numbers. That's the point I was trying to make. I mean, I am sure the individual parts could be traced, given enough time and information, but my feeling is that the theft and subsequent fire doesn't have anything to do with Mickey's disappearance. I really hate to see innocent people drug into something they didn't have anything to do with.

bbm. I wouldn't call someone who set a business on fire and vandalized a vehicle, innocent.

eta: and not trying to come off snarky or anything. I am not sleuthing the owner of the Yukon, just the crime.

This post absolutely blew my mind. Has anyone ever considered that she may have been BACKED INTO????????

WT SEEN GOING ONE WAY AND THEN OPPOSITE WAY.......AT SOME POINT TURNED AROUND......MAYBE SHE WAS ****BACKED INTO****** (as in taillight needing fixing) and maybe we shouldn't think or damage to vehicle as grill damage! Maybe REAR damage.

Maybe it wasn't white truck but ANY vehicle backing out of any driveway and ***BACKED**** into her!!!!

Maybe that's why white truck turning left onto University has funky looking tail light glare distortion thing going on? Maybe that's why they don't look quite the same because after the accident, they weren't cosmetically? just thinkin...

From eHow:

Auto parts numbering systems are complex and elaborate, and In almost all cases, car parts have numbers that are engraved or molded into the part. Slight modifications are often made from year to year, and although the part looks the same, it is only compatible with a specific year and model. Parts are assigned, in some cases, both letters and numbers according to their group. For example, transmissions, engines, trim, body, and electrical all have their own part-number standards.

How to Identify Car Parts | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7684336_identify-car-parts.html#ixzz1x8rUr9YW

I know all of this. I have a husband that used to build race cars for a living and does mechanic and body work. LOL...I just meant that the parts like the tail lights wouldn't have the serial numbers on them....

Or a "pull-a-part" salvage yard out of town. Because setting a fire and stealing **** is far too risky when you're trying to hide your tracks.

I think this is a separate incident. Perhaps they knew the guy. Robbed him for some reason and burned the place down. The truck, they could've been looking for drugs. Because everything they ripped off the truck are places you typically hide drugs in a vehicle.

Wait wait wait.

I can't agree, I don't think those trucks are the same.

Not trying to say that they are or parts interchangeable or nuthin like that....

Allz I'm saying is.....

HAS ANYONE CONSIDERED SHE MAY HAVE BEEN BACKED INTO OR BACKED OVER BY ANYONE BACKING OUT OF ANY DRIVEWAY PARKING LOT ETC...TURNING AROUND OR BACKING OUT TO LEAVE????

just the post brought up the possibility in my mind that perhaps she wasn't hit on the road but backed into.......like she's riding along and does not appear in rear view by by the time the person is backing out is behind the car....

I know all of this. I have a husband that used to build race cars for a living and does mechanic and body work. LOL...I just meant that the parts like the tail lights wouldn't have the serial numbers on them....

Gotcha. Thanks.

NTSB traces parts all the time when safety issues are involved. It can be done and I doubt that in the 21st century it takes very much time.

This is all academic anyway at his point.

bbm. I wouldn't call someone who set a business on fire and vandalized a vehicle, innocent.

eta: and not trying to come off snarky or anything. I am not sleuthing the owner of the Yukon, just the crime.

BBM: I didn't mean being innocent of the theft and arson, I meant getting drug into the business of Mickey missing...:banghead::banghead: Which in my opinion, one has NOTHING to do with the other. Which I've stated in other posts.

IMO, JMO, :moo:, and all other disclaimers.

Seems like that'd be difficult to do without the target noticing.
No no no ......I'm thinking honest to God accident.....in the scenerio in my mind it could be accidental. And with a pound o dope in the trunk backing out of your drug dealers driveway person who accidently hits bicycler backing out is definately NOT CALLING COPS....
maybe even keeping her nursing her back to health....(we'd all be happy I it were really like this!!!)

Or a "pull-a-part" salvage yard out of town. Because setting a fire and stealing **** is far too risky when you're trying to hide your tracks.

I think this is a separate incident. Perhaps they knew the guy. Robbed him for some reason and burned the place down. The truck, they could've been looking for drugs. Because everything they ripped off the truck are places you typically hide drugs in a vehicle.

Really. Never would have thought of that! Guess those would make good hiding places but then again, if they are known to be hiding places, then no longer very good hiding places LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Little boston