LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What Mexican man? Have not heard anything, nor have i read anything about a Mexican man!!
Please don't assume because he's Latino he's Mexican. We come from different cultures. The only thing we do share in common is some degree of Native Maerican ancestry, admitted or not, & a dialect of Spanish. After that the different cultures have differences between them. I could only tell a Norteño Mexican from a Sureño on the ground. Perhaps the poster from LA might be able to from a pic, since it's been 20 yrs since I was in CA. There's virtually no way to distinguish a Guatemalan from a Mexican from a Columbian from a Peruvian in a pic in street clothing.

When the Find Mickey event page on facebook first started, I saw people talking about searching The Zip and Fightingville which, from what I understand from that early post on Find Mickey, are behind the Wal-Mart on the Thruway. As a local, that's the first I've heard of these places. Any more info on these areas? They seem to have a reputation similar to The Block. Nothing that suggests Mickey might be there, I'm just curious about these areas I knew not to go in but didn't realize they were that bad. I did a Google search looking for the boundaries of these areas and found a neighborhood plan that actually refers to these areas as Fightingville and The Block. I thought that was interesting because those are names I took to be just lingo. http://www.lafayettelinc.net/LINCWeb/LDAREAS/LINC13/Draft_Neighborhood_Plan_8.pdf

Please don't assume because he's Latino he's Mexican. We come from different cultures. The only thing we do share in common is some degree of Native Maerican ancestry, admitted or not, & a dialect of Spanish. After that the different cultures have differences between them. I could only tell a Norteño Mexican from a Sureño on the ground. Perhaps the poster from LA might be able to from a pic, since it's been 20 yrs since I was in CA. There's virtually no way to distinguish a Guatemalan from a Mexican from a Columbian from a Peruvian in a pic in street clothing.

And then there's Puerto Rico, a US territory populated by Spanish speaking US citizens.

If it happened 24 hours after Mickey was abducted, it's not the 3 who got away. They wouldn't go back 24 hours after their buddy had just been arrested. Plus it's not the same crime. They would have knocked her over and robbed her.

There's a majority black club that opens Thursday and Saturday on Jefferson. There's a huge crowd, mainly black kids, from all over Acadiana come downtown. The entry line goes around the block. So on Thursday and Saturday, cops block one lane of travel and many cross streets. (it's a ***** for me to drive home). They are on horseback and also congregate 5-8 or so in one group on corners. It's a huge show of force. And the city is charging bars an extra "tax" for the added protection. I know of one bar owner taking the city to court on this because he said he never asked for added protection and it's unfair that he pays a tax because he's located on a certain street.

RE: If it happened 24 hours after Mickey was abducted, it's not the 3 who got away. They wouldn't go back 24 hours after their buddy had just been arrested. Plus it's not the same crime. They would have knocked her over and robbed her.

http://www.katc.com/news/simple-robbery-arrest-police-still-searching-for-3-suspects/

Mickey Shunick was last seen Saturday at about 2:00 am (May 19/2012)
The robbery and violent attack of the man, and then a woman was Sunday May 20/2012 at 2:15 am - 24 hours later.

Mickey Schunick may have not been in the news as missing at that time due to the time the mp report was filed by her family.

"The violent attack on this woman, and the ramifications if the LE had not shown up when they did, as well as Clifford Ledet being from out of town; New Iberiais, LA, is what concerns me most"-

As officers began to look for the suspects they observed 4 black males punching and kicking a 36 year old female victim on the ground.

Was the Secretary of Commerce in town that night by chance?

It's as far a reach as any.

if I am not mistaken there was talk in a previous thread about a Mexican man who heard someone scream but didn't want to talk to police because he was here illegally......and this is all from the best of my recollection that is not all that good...

Yes, and from what I remember, many threads back it was said that police investigated and it was nothing! (paraphrased from my memory).

been off this site for a while so i don't know if this has been figured out but thought i would chime in in case it hasn't...

pic of the fan/cross sticker/dog on the circle k truck is just "Jesus on toast"

horizontal line (of the cross) is the rim of the bed through the rear window
vertical line (of the cross) is the reflection of a flag pole

this is my only my (correct) opinion...
i have no inside information...
bla bla bla...

peace

Yes, and from what I remember, many threads back it was said that police investigated and it was nothing! (paraphrased from my memory).

Correct. It was investigated and found unrelated and was nowhere near the area she went missing

I couldn't sleep last night and was trying to figure out how a person could let Mickey go at this point, assuming she is alive...all I could come up with, assuming also that she has not seen his face by now, is for the perp to take her, blindfolded and loosely tied-up, to a rural road where there would not be any cameras or traffic, and leave her off, knowing she would be able to get the bindings off easily enough but not in time to see his vehicle or license plate...leave her there to be found by a passing driver or to walk for help...

Okay, in case he/she is reading here...that is my best idea. :(

When the Find Mickey event page on facebook first started, I saw people talking about searching The Zip and Fightingville which, from what I understand from that early post on Find Mickey, are behind the Wal-Mart on the Thruway. As a local, that's the first I've heard of these places. Any more info on these areas? They seem to have a reputation similar to The Block. Nothing that suggests Mickey might be there, I'm just curious about these areas I knew not to go in but didn't realize they were that bad. I did a Google search looking for the boundaries of these areas and found a neighborhood plan that actually refers to these areas as Fightingville and The Block. I thought that was interesting because those are names I took to be just lingo. http://www.lafayettelinc.net/LINCWeb/LDAREAS/LINC13/Draft_Neighborhood_Plan_8.pdf
The Center for Louisiana Studies at UL-L did a project last fall about the McComb/Fightinville areas. I know people from there, & if I had to give a geographical 'center' of sorts, I'd say Sixteenth & Sterling for McComb.
For Fightinville, I'd have to make a phone call about its center.

been off this site for a while so i don't know if this has been figured out but thought i would chime in in case it hasn't...

pic of the fan/cross sticker/dog on the circle k truck is just "Jesus on toast"

horizontal line (of the cross) is the rim of the bed through the rear window
vertical line (of the cross) is the reflection of a flag pole

this is my only my (correct) opinion...
i have no inside information...
bla bla bla...

peace
Wodalo- I'm doing this on an iPhone, so I can't 'see' like you can. The prob I have is that in the St John pic I only see a person (MS?) on foot, not on a bicycle? Is that just b/c I'm looking from an iPhone & have no tech ability to see otherwise?

Wodalo- I'm doing this on an iPhone, so I can't 'see' like you can. The prob I have is that in the St John pic I only see a person (MS?) on foot, not on a bicycle? Is that just b/c I'm looking from an iPhone & have no tech ability to see otherwise?

im speaking of the circle k pic of the truck...

not sure what you are speaking about in this other pic... please expand...

in the "in front of school" bike pic, rider is on bike, both feet on pedals, both hands on grips...
in the circle k bike pic, rider is on bike (stopped), right shoe on ground, left hand on grip, right hand does not appear to be on grip...

if rider is seen walking in a pic, i have not seen it...

rider will not be seen in any pics or video after circle k truck "video capture" (my opinion)

my opinions
no inside info

peace

The suspect, Clifford Ledet of New Iberia, was arrested and charged with 2 counts of Simple Robbery and Resisting Arrest.

What about assault?!

Cops shoot innocent people and dogs all day long (which makes me furious) but they don't shoot a dirtbag like that. Go figure.

RE: What about assault?!

I was thinking the same thing, Artis, and the simple robbery charge also raised a few red flags too.

OMG. Thank you.

I said this many threads ago that this town seems to be in love with a version of itself that never existed. Not to mention, people circling neighborhoods wondering why people are staring at them...

It's this whole mindset that makes me hate this town.

I lived in the same loft on Jefferson in the early 90s as I do now. I moved to Nola in between (was living in the quarter during Katrina). I can say from personal experience, downtown and Congress was much more dangerous 20 years ago as it is now. Streetscape really improved it. Back then there was only Dons Seafood that I can think of and one gay bar.Today there are so many bars and restaurants it would take me a while to count.

Downtown and even Congress is not nearly as dangerous today as some have described. A good comparison is the French Quarter back then and now. Back in the 80's no one would dare walk on Rampart because of the crime. Today I still see it as dangerous at night but I had no problem parking there and walking to and from at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx