LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure wish psychics were worth a darn but they aren't. Very nice group of them concentrating on this like crazy but it amounts to a whole lot of nothing. This whole case is full of nothing. Somebody (singular or plural) knows or saw something and I blame LPD for their complete failure to have, at least, weekly pressers to communicate with the public and keep Mickey's case in the forefront of people's minds. I am sorry but there no excuse for this. A hell of lot of people pay little attention to the news and just catching a report, even a month later, could well trigger someone's memory. This is terrible.

Understand the lack of LPD's forth coming information is frustrating. Mrs. Shunick said (in a taped interview) the police are not telling the family anything. The line of keeping the investigation confidential and the complete lack of communication has blurred. It's surprising LPD remained vague about the latest WB search. Of course they are out there looking for evidence. Obviously, a tip or some type of information was given within the week before WB endured another search. I would think the police would not want to panic the general public with news of a possible sk, however, the lack of information is almost as concerning. Does it really cost the LPD so much money the department cannot afford a press conference? Obviously, if LPD was hoping the perp would 'pop out outta the woodwork' it hasn't happened. Another approach to the investigation (communication) could bring Mickey home. Not telling the police how to investigate; time is of the essence and mistakes can no longer be afforded.

Do normal, well-adjusted people generally abduct women riding bicycles?

I've noticed some tensions on the rise between groups:

1)cyclists and motorists, particularly trucks, which seem to come with a culture of road hogging. The modern Dodge Ram series is a jerk truck from a bike point of view. There have been a lot of hit and runs in the NW lately, including pedestrian fatalities. Down south, Oil culture has little to no respect for bikes or women.

2)Black people and white people: Black community at large were the first to claim Mickey was dead, some said 'they buried her', 'she's in a boat', etc.. a lot of negativity on Twitter in the first week afterwards. PPL as old as I am remember what happened in Georgia in the 1980s, and I'm pretty sure what reads as style non-compassion also includes some wondering about why when a black child goes missing it's not a big deal. A black girl went missing the same day Mickey did.

3)Employed and Unemployed: Those that have been incarcerated have narrower employment opportunities, but their bellies still get hungry and their eyes still get wide with desire for product. They've got to beat out immigrants for labor jobs. The call of fast easy money hustling women is going to be part of the employment solution for some. I'd like to see smart people working on alternatives to incarceration because as the ranks swell, outside life resembles life on the inside more and more. You should see all the throat and face tattoos in Portland.

4)Satanists and Everyone else. Blond hair, blue eyes, perfect intelligence, missing in the month of may... wtf is that?? Is this real? I guess some go missing every month. June 4th is only 4 days after may and that's when Kyron Hormon went missing.

I'm agreeing with the idea that Mickey might have been the victim of an organized kidnapping by 3 or so individuals.

I think the reason I want this case solved the most is that i don't want to see American women become the new oil. I say we are not a third world country at any time of day, including 2am. I think that's a premise that needs a strong defense right now.

When I reposted Texaslil's map here the other night I just about fell off my chair when I realized the distance travelled / time frame.

Like you I have a cyclometer and at 5 1 I know how fast I cycle. MS was nauseated and tired and I would have a very difficult time thinking she came close to that speed.

We do know that the timestamps were adjusted according to LPD early on when the photos were released. One at least by 12 minutes being the car photo.

I went over the math again and got a result of 24 MPH top speed. that number comes down as you go above 60 seconds between video stills. I think 15 to 18 MPH is average for someone in good shape. MS is a petite, and her legs can't be that long. A fixed gear bike is a single speed, and the gear ratio won't be super challenging. It seems to me she has stopped in still #2 but I can't prove it. Sure would like to know why she traveled so fast, just to stop a few feet beyond the Circle K.

I went over the math again and got a result of 24 MPH top speed. that number comes down as you go above 60 seconds between video stills. I think 15 to 18 MPH is average for someone in good shape. MS is a petite, and her legs can't be that long. A fixed gear bike is a single speed, and the gear ratio won't be super challenging. It seems to me she has stopped in still #2 but I can't prove it. Sure would like to know why she traveled so fast, just to stop a few feet beyond the Circle K.

I can't prove it either, but I also think she is stopped. I feel that from my own experience with photo/video editing and I am encouraged by the opinions of a couple avid cyclists who know stance and mannerisms of other cyclists who have mentioned she looks stopped. Maybe knowing she was being followed, she considered going into the circle k, or was going to make a call? Maybe to see if the truck would pass by her, and that was a well lit, open business area and she felt safer stopping there than anywhere else to let the truck go by her. The new road work could have given her a tire problem, or she slowed down to not fly over that bump or dip at a fast pace to avoid injury. I think that gave the truck time to catch up to her, didn't pass her and prevented her from doing any of those things.

She is just leaving an intersection. It would be natural to slow down or even stop.

It's natural to slow down or stop before crossing an intersection. I don't many people who slow down or stop AFTER they've crossed it.

I've noticed some tensions on the rise between groups:

1)cyclists and motorists, particularly trucks, which seem to come with a culture of road hogging. The modern Dodge Ram series is a jerk truck from a bike point of view. There have been a lot of hit and runs in the NW lately, including pedestrian fatalities. Down south, Oil culture has little to no respect for bikes or women.

2)Black people and white people: Black community at large were the first to claim Mickey was dead, some said 'they buried her', 'she's in a boat', etc.. a lot of negativity on Twitter in the first week afterwards. PPL as old as I am remember what happened in Georgia in the 1980s, and I'm pretty sure what reads as style non-compassion also includes some wondering about why when a black child goes missing it's not a big deal. A black girl went missing the same day Mickey did.

3)Employed and Unemployed: Those that have been incarcerated have narrower employment opportunities, but their bellies still get hungry and their eyes still get wide with desire for product. They've got to beat out immigrants for labor jobs. The call of fast easy money hustling women is going to be part of the employment solution for some. I'd like to see smart people working on alternatives to incarceration because as the ranks swell, outside life resembles life on the inside more and more. You should see all the throat and face tattoos in Portland.

4)Satanists and Everyone else. Blond hair, blue eyes, perfect intelligence, missing in the month of may... wtf is that?? Is this real? I guess some go missing every month. June 4th is only 4 days after may and that's when Kyron Hormon went missing.

I'm agreeing with the idea that Mickey might have been the victim of an organized kidnapping by 3 or so individuals.

1- Lafayette is actually kinda progressive compared to many cities/towns in the South. The city is adding more bike lanes, and while Lafayette does have quite a few oil services companies, it also has a large technological and medical presence. As a resident with quite a few friends and family members who do work in the oilfield, I don't think that statement is valid and it's completely unsupported by any evidence.

2. I'm not on twitter, but I haven't seen anything of the kind. I would be interested information on the black woman who disappeared. I'd be willing to work on hers just as much as Mickey's. I would like to see something to back up that statement.

3. Lafayette's unemployment rate as of April 2012 is 4.6%, not the 9% rate seen in the North. Lafayette is not Portland.

4. Based on what? There is absolutely no evidence of any kind to support the idea that there's a large Satanist presence that kidnaps in May.

Again, I'd like to know what kind of evidence you're basing the idea that 3 or more people are responsible?

Ideas and theories are good, but they need to have some kinda of factual basis.

I think the reason I want this case solved the most is that i don't want to see American women become the new oil. I say we are not a third world country at any time of day, including 2am. I think that's a premise that needs a strong defense right now.

Unfortunately, if the govt and FBI do not step up, it will only get worse. Silence never stops abuse or crime.

I think she was riding like that because the area was sketchy. I believe she knew the risks of riding at night and was ready to get home. She knew she had to get up early for the graduation, and did not feel well.

I do not believe she stopped, I believe she may have because of an abduction, but I do not see her stopping intentionally at that point.

jmo

Something I would seriously love to know is what the special K-9 units found as to where her scent ended along that route. You would think that it would give them a good indication as to where she was taken. However, I wonder how much this was affected by the fact that she took these roads often and her scent was likely all over the place. You would think they would still be able to tell when the scent drastically weakened or changed. I don't know where I'm going with this, but I had really hoped that with all the search teams that have come in to help that someone would help discover something new. I hope they did and we just don't know it.

Let's think for a minute about the k-9 units. She rode there earlier that day, apparently hung over, which surprises me. I cannot imagine riding a bike hungover. I would think the headache would be unbearable, especially with the sun shining in your face. If the dogs ran her routes, they may have picked up her scent from earlier in the day. I could see how that would be confusing to the investigation.

One more thing, we only have BW to say she was hungover. I have a hard time believing that someone would climb on a bike early in the day while headachey and nauseous and ride four miles. Not saying young people do not do things like that, I just think it would be rough.

not trying to sleuth him, just wondering.

It's been just over a month since Mickey Shunick disappeared, and the answers have come to a standstill. The foot searches have stopped. The fliers are fading.

The volunteer headquarters has moved again — into a smaller storefront space at the corner of Johnston Street and South College Road. Volunteers still plan to distribute fliers, T-shirts and wristbands at the new location, according to the Find Mickey Shunick Facebook page.

"The friends and family have decided that we will not close the doors on Mickey," Margaret Bearb, headquarters coordinator, said last week. "Once this place is leased out, we will open the doors somewhere else.

No new information has been released by police for more than three weeks. Police have not stopped investigating tips, however.

"We're no closer to declaring it a cold case than we were two weeks ago," Cpl. Kyle Soriez said last week.

The lack of progress in the case is certainly not for lack of effort. In addition to the volunteers — individuals and groups that have shown up every day to do whatever needs to be done — more than $50,000 in cash has been donated to help with the search. The Lafayette Police Department estimates it has spent up to $25,000 in overtime costs in the Shunick case.

Shunick's family, friends and community have made it clear that they will not stop until she comes home.

"People are missing for five years, 10 years, nine months," Charlie Shunick said. "So it's like I don't think there'll ever be a point in time if we don't find her that we'll give up and think she's not alive out there."

"Her face will be everywhere," a new social media flier shouts in bold capital letters around Shunick's photo. Another similar flier insists that "Someone knows where Mickey is," and another sends out a message to Mickey and the people who know where she is: "We will never stop looking for Mickey."

Summary of the case so far in today's Advertiser:

http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...unick-case?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

One of the quotes in the article referenced is Charlie's. It is in reference to Jaren's body being found.

It states that on June 7th, she quickly determined it was not MS, but had the official answer from authorities a day later.

Not trying to slueth, but how would she know that so quickly? They keep insisting they are getting NO info.

just questioning... not intending to get anyone worked up or upset.

Maybe this is just written wrong, and is taking her real words and changing them about to add drama to article.

One of the quotes in the article referenced is Charlie's. It is in reference to Jaren's body being found.

It states that on June 7th, she quickly determined it was not MS, but had the official answer from authorities a day later.

Not trying to slueth, but how would she know that so quickly? They keep insisting they are getting NO info.

just questioning... not intending to get anyone worked up or upset.

Maybe this is just written wrong, and is taking her real words and changing them about to add drama to article.

Because of the piercings on the torso? That was released in MSM, so if she knew Mickey did not have that many piercings on her torso she would know it wasn't her body.

What if she made it to her home or the street where she lived I wonder if there is anyone living in her neighborhood that could have done this.
Have they look closer to home at all. Could it be someone coming home at the same time she was? Just a thought!

I just think it might be someone from her own neighborhood

I seem to recall reading that BW suggested she take Parkside. Am I right?

That I don't know. It doesn't seem to me to be a route they would NOT have chosen as it is dark and you have to cross University without a traffic light.
Keep in mind that where BW lives on Ryan St is at the corner near one end
of Parkside which can be seen from Congress St. There is a short piece on Parkside that MS did go down when she left his house but she did not stay on the road.

Who was the last person to call her when she was at BW's house anyone know?

This is my first post, but I have been following since the beginning. I saw someone mention this, but I don't know if the link was posted. Missing woman from Shreveport (blonde, curly hair, left on foot). I'm on my phone, and I can't get the dang link to work, but if you go to KSLA.com it is on their main page.

Eileen730....I've been thinking that for a long time. Someone in her neighborhood that knew her and has been watching her. Maybe was obsessed with her and saw the opportunity .

I have always considered when LEA do not share info or keep the public's awareness up, it usually means there is a lack of confidence in their own ability to solve crime. For all the things LE hasn't said, this is the one that keeps repeating and it is a very troubling look into the possible mindsets at work on this case.
"It's way too early to call this a cold case," he (Mouton) said June 4
"We're not giving up," Craft said. "Every week, we evaluate our progress or lack of progress on the case. Is it time to transition this into a cold case? I always get the same answer that we're not ready to do that." June 8 (So the sheriff two plus weeks into the investigation is asking his officers if they are ready to call this a cold case???? And he has asked them more than once???????????????????????????????????????????????????)
"We're no closer to declaring it a cold case than we were two weeks ago," Cpl. Kyle Soriez said last week. June 24
So two weeks into their investigation and they were already throwing out the term "cold case" in relation to this case. As the weeks have progressed, other members of LE are using that phrase. So they were saying that many tips (1000+) were coming in and the idea of a cold case was brought up and answered?!?!?!?!?!?!? After weeks of investigating and making a point to show how much money they have spent on overtime, they have the nerve to not say anything except that they are waiting to call this a cold case? That is mind boggling and irresponsible, a more appropriate response is that they are still investigating. If they are just waiting to call this a cold case so they can move onto something else, IMO they may as well resign at the same time.
I hope this is not the situation, but the way it has been presented makes it hard to see other possibilities, so hopefully this is just some media trickery and not their actual thoughts.
http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120608/NEWS01/206080323/-Encouraged-by-findings
http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...ssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE&nclick_check=

Eileen730....I've been thinking that for a long time. Someone in her neighborhood that knew her and has been watching her. Maybe was obsessed with her and saw the opportunity .

I agree I think way to much focus is on the stoopid white truck and they maybe should have been looking closer to home!

Just because she was seen on vid does not mean she didnt make it close to home...

That would have been one of the first places i would have checked out.

Has anyone looked to see if any SO's lived near her?

If LE does decide to call it a coldcase...do they just quit investigating and put it into a file box to sit on a shelf? I think it is way to early to do that. But if that is what they do..then it is a good thing that the Shunicks hired a PI to investigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne